Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 46  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:08 am 

So....who here would buy a license if they (comfortably) had the money?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:21 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

I don't and wouldn't if I did. :(

K-i-c-k-s-t-a-r-t-e-r..... <tapping foot with hands on hips>

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:47 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

If it had been $100, I would have.
If I had $350,000 in the bank, I would have spent $1,000 for it.
(all just for the sake of The Collection. I wouldn't try manufacturing/marketing it.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:35 am 

I've been seeing this topic discussed on different forums. Somehow the ZFT has managed to come up with a scheme so flawed that its made the most hardcore fans question whether they even want the Roxy music anymore. That is remarkable.

Also, how do they expect people to sell it in this day and age without digital downloads?? Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:06 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I don't and wouldn't if I did. :(

K-i-c-k-s-t-a-r-t-e-r..... <tapping foot with hands on hips>

Like I said before...Gail would not have the control she wants if Kickstarter were used.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Like I said before...Gail would not have the control she wants if Kickstarter were used.

I understand your point. But with kickstarter, she could literally run a campaign that says: "Give me your $", people could donate $ and get nothing in return. There'd be no loss of control there! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:49 am 

If I bought it,would any of you buy it from me? 'Cuz your my targeted customers.If you guys don't make it work for me,who else would I sell too? The Zappateers? :mrgreen:

Maybe Gail's given us the ol',"Here,you want it so bad and say we at the ZFT can't do it right.Do it yourselves." Shtick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:20 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Maybe Gail's given us the ol',"Here,you want it so bad and say we at the ZFT can't do it right.Do it yourselves." Shtick.

that's exactly what's going on. Every email sent out about this scheme smacks of passive aggressiveness.

So they opened up the license to other markets, that means what, they'll make maybe $5000 instead of $2000? It's such a dumb idea and plan. Let's face it, even at the height of Frank Zappa's marketability it would of been tough for any fan to make their money back on such a dumb deal. Sad to say, but most people out there have maybe heard of Zappa without actually having heard anything from him. There is absolutely no chance of anyone in the world buying this license and making money off it. It's a donation through and through, and at a cost that is prohibitive to a large part of the fan base that would happily support it otherwise.

Kickstarter would be the way to go, and really, the ZFT could of had a paypal pre-order scheme of different bundles to fund the project on their own site if they didn't want to go with Kickstarter/indiegogo route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:58 pm 

I suppose if no one else here did it, I might think about it and sell it to you guys...but as it stands you'll probably have a bunch of people thinking, 'someone else will do it' and as a result, no one will.

I work for a CD/Vinyl broker too, so I could get CDs and LPs made relatively cheap.

If you or someone you know is going to do this, please send them my way and I'll help make it happen.

Until then I guess we just keep our eyes peeled for someone bought in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:29 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
If I bought it,would any of you buy it from me? 'Cuz your my targeted customers.If you guys don't make it work for me,who else would I sell too? The Zappateers? :mrgreen:

I think I would buy it from jpd, so I could say that it's an import and therefore more valuable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:05 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

I think I would buy it from jpd, so I could say that it's an import and therefore more valuable.

I will just buy it from Barfko since it should be manufactured the most professionally and since it's from the ZFT it's more "Official".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:16 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Plook wrote:
Whats up with the overwhelming response, how many?... :smoke:

Reads: This one guy e-mailed them from outside of the US. :mrgreen:

LMFAO... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:50 pm 

Plook wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Plook wrote:
Whats up with the overwhelming response, how many?... :smoke:

Reads: This one guy e-mailed them from outside of the US. :mrgreen:

LMFAO... :mrgreen:

Oh admit it Penguin, you PAID that guy in Europe to inquire about ROXY by proxy. :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:56 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

I will buy two off you Kapt, if Cal bought one, poly bought one, BBP bought one and someone else bought 995 more off you (oh, the possibilities!).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:59 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

I'm a Zappa-collecting' Moron. If I had the $1,000 I would have bought it and hung it up on my wall.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:07 pm 

tweezers wrote:
Oh admit it Penguin, you PAID that guy in Europe to inquire about ROXY by proxy. :lol: 8)

I'd gladly throw him a buck! :mrgreen: (but a euro would be too steep)

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:49 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I understand your point. But with kickstarter, she could literally run a campaign that says: "Give me your $", people could donate $ and get nothing in return. There'd be no loss of control there! :mrgreen:

actually no theres a clause in the kickstarter tos that implies that there will be a timely use of the donated funds, which means if theres a delay a written letter needs to be sent to the donators explaining exactly what is going on and a solid estimate on when the project will be done, and it also means if you dont fulfill your obligation to the donators, they need to be reimbursed. which of course means if theres another decade long delay, there will be shit to pay.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:12 pm 

adverb wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

actually no theres a clause in the kickstarter tos that implies that there will be a timely use of the donated funds, which means if theres a delay a written letter needs to be sent to the donators explaining exactly what is going on and a solid estimate on when the project will be done, and it also means if you dont fulfill your obligation to the donators, they need to be reimbursed. which of course means if theres another decade long delay, there will be shit to pay.

Again, we could argue semantics all day long. Let's say they need a million dollars to get Roxy out by the end of this year. They ask for $1mil on kickstarter with a promise to deliver by the end of the year. They receive their cool million, they deliver. It's really not that nuts.

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:20 pm 

It's her inheritance she can do what she wants with it.

You must be havin' her jumpin' through a hoop of real fire
With some Kleenex wrapped around a coat-hang wire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 am 

Ruz-El wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

I will just buy it from Barfko since it should be manufactured the most professionally and since it's from the ZFT it's more "Official".

That's exactly my position as well. I wouldn't buy it cheap(er) from some person who had a license and just burned a copy on his PC. I would go for the "official" product. If I was a billionaire I would probably have purchased a license just to get the master (like jpd). And still, this is not even the movie!!!

So, considering myself the average Zappa fan, I cannot see this get off the ground with the fan base.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:59 am 

A classic sales mistake. It's easier to find 1000 buyers who will spent $10 than it is to find 10 people who will spent $1000.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:50 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
A classic sales mistake. It's easier to find 1000 buyers who will spent $10 than it is to find 10 people who will spent $1000.

I'd buy the master for 10 bucks. What ZappaFreak wouldn't? :wink:

It's a divertion! Where's the movie? We know footage exists,some of it's on YouTube right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:08 pm 

We know that 25 minutes of the movie were shown at ZPZ in 2006. I thought it was pretty good quality - it even had sound and picture synchronized.

(They used to have the clips on zappa.com.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:13 pm 

HJ wrote:
That's exactly my position as well. I wouldn't buy it cheap(er) from some person who had a license and just burned a copy on his PC. I would go for the "official" product. If I was a billionaire I would probably have purchased a license just to get the master (like jpd). And still, this is not even the movie!!!

So, considering myself the average Zappa fan, I cannot see this get off the ground with the fan base.

I'm pretty sure that the fine print does not allow for CD-Rs. The CDs have to be professionally manufactured.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:29 pm 

HJ wrote:
We know that 25 minutes of the movie were shown at ZPZ in 2006. I thought it was pretty good quality - it even had sound and picture synchronized.

(They used to have the clips on zappa.com.)

I saw a 25-30 min. clip on YouTube,it's proably the same one and it was OK to me.I wanted to see the whole show though.What happend to the rest of the show?

There are other whole FZ shows that aren't half bad at all,on another site and I've seen some on YouTube also.They range from The MOI period to the '80's.No two shows the same! Good ol' Frank.What a guy! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 46  Next