Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 46  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: re: roxy -> dong
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9522
kapt.kiirk wrote:
...the Bollywood connection would seem like a natural fit for The Roxy,FZ and the Mothers.Thailand and Vietnam might be cool to...
there's gotta be a few million zappa fans amongst 92 million filippinos

Image


interesting angle on the vietnam sales ... sell a few hundred units, keep the dong & wait for the inevitable re-value


make that an hto

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 12839
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
kapt.kiirk wrote:
...the Bollywood connection would seem like a natural fit for The Roxy,FZ and the Mothers.Thailand and Vietnam might be cool to...
there's gotta be a few million zappa fans amongst 92 million filippinos

Image


interesting angle on the vietnam sales ... sell a few hundred units, keep the dong & wait for the inevitable re-value


make that an hto

Dong worked for Yuda.Dong down now but sure to rise again. :mrgreen: Meanwhile,new markets in Phuket,Laos,Myanmar (Burma).Burma is new market for any western music.First listen....FZ Live @ The Roxy.Could sweep Andaman Sea.
Two hundred units +.

Make way for the I-Ron sausage.

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:00 pm
Posts: 58
Despite the appearance of some potentially lame business practices on the part of the ZFT, I don't believe for a second that they don't know what they are doing. My guess is they aren't the least bit interested in trying to make money, but rather to avoid losing money at all costs.

Wrap a hyper-sensitivity about keeping the Zappa legacy "in-house" with an overly paranoid view of the music industry, and we're left with what looks like a completely illogical approach to selling product.

As we've seen from some of their recent releases they obviously love the music as much as we do. Although Sometimes it feels like they're acting like control freaks, in the end unfortunately they are in control like it or not.

It's amusing to watch what seem like missed opportunities pass them by, but we'll never know since they have the complete picture and we don't.

In the meantime, I personally have plenty of great music to spend my hard earned money on besides Frank's fine work.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3063
Location: Chicago, IL
Val Valentin wrote:
I don't believe for a second that they don't know what they are doing.


Yup, selling the licensing to the Roxy "prequel" initially to the US and then later coming back to include all countries must have been their plan all along. :mrgreen:
Or: Refusing to sell Zappa's catalog on iTunes until the 4th quarter of 2012 was clearly the best decision. :mrgreen:
Or: including alumni in the ZPZ touring ensemble (eg. Vai, Bozzio, Brock, White, Kaylan, Volman) and later expressing that they have no interest in using alumni was obviously their plan along. :mrgreen:
Or: Announcing release dates (while not specifically at least by certain deadlines) to albums - only to delay them (in some cases, multiple delays!) was obviously all part of the master plan from the get-go. :mrgreen:
Or: .... :wink:

_________________
Current favorite new spin: Midlake - Provider

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:51 pm
Posts: 2325
Location: Europe
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Val Valentin wrote:
I don't believe for a second that they don't know what they are doing.


Yup, selling the licensing to the Roxy "prequel" initially to the US and then later coming back to include all countries must have been their plan all along. :mrgreen:
Or: Refusing to sell Zappa's catalog on iTunes until the 4th quarter of 2012 was clearly the best decision. :mrgreen:
Or: including alumni in the ZPZ touring ensemble (eg. Vai, Bozzio, Brock, White, Kaylan, Volman) and later expressing that they have no interest in using alumni was obviously their plan along. :mrgreen:
Or: Announcing release dates (while not specifically at least by certain deadlines) to albums - only to delay them (in some cases, multiple delays!) was obviously all part of the master plan from the get-go. :mrgreen:
Or: .... :wink:

Val has some good points. I don't think the ZFT is clueless either. They just want to control every aspect of everything to the extent that they probably do not listen much to advice. That worked for Frank (he probably never listened much to any advice on his music), so they probably think it will work for them. But while a genius can afford to be secluded from reality, the ZFT may not.

I agree with Val that they do make products that show love for the music, and I also think they just don't want to loose money. It simply escapes me why they have to go though these wild experiments in order to release an old movie. Yes, I have heard all the problems about syncing and transfer and so on, but in 2006 they managed to do 25 minutes of it in a quality that Frank would have released. So the more they wait, the smaller the market. It is a literally dying market. And even among the living ones we can see the interest going from ecstatic to the reserved (and that just though a 5-6 year span).

_________________
"Everybody in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself" - FZ
http://www.myspace.com/kirnehness


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 18109
Location: Somewhere in time
I would like to echo PIB and say as he implied that they are shooting from the hip and reacting to their ever changing situation.

I would venture a guess that they were hit pretty hard by the recession and now can't chance using their money to finish, either that or they are doing just fine and want use to foot the bill...I don't think they are that deviously smart to come up with that plan.

:smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 1968
I don't think Gail would be happy if she did what makes sense to us. She's obviously not only in it for the money.

I assume she likes to create drama. If the fans never paid attention to her and didn't eagerly await (and drool over) her official releases , she probably would have given us all exactly what we wanted a long time ago.
Some of you might want to consider that.
Or at least consider considering it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3063
Location: Chicago, IL
downer mydnyte wrote:
Or at least consider considering it.


I'm considering considering it... should I re-consider? :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new spin: Midlake - Provider

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 12839
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
downer mydnyte wrote:
I don't think Gail would be happy if she did what makes sense to us. She's obviously not only in it for the money.

I assume she likes to create drama. If the fans never paid attention to her and didn't eagerly await (and drool over) her official releases , she probably would have given us all exactly what we wanted a long time ago.
Some of you might want to consider that.
Or at least consider considering it.

Gail isn't Yoko,she didn't break up The MOI,nor do I remember her ever trying to outshine FZ.If she was artisticaly jeolous of the attention Frank got,she's kept it under wraps pretty well.Having a famous spouse,you get to know what the spouse/artist thought and wanted done with his/her music/art that was left unpublished.
Now consider she's got a secret book that FZ left her and she's just following the book.So are his kids.That would mean this is all Franks fault......wouldn't it? :|

The drooling does make sense.Who doesn't or wouldn't want people to like what your putting out? Especialy if you love it as much as the droolers do and laboured over the same artistic tracks as you and your spouse loved and listened to all those years ago?

She released all the old catalog and that keeps FZ's music out there for all of us and newbies too.Then she's done the other projects too.Just imagine if FZ had married someone who didn't want anyone to go through it until she was gone or tryed to sell or part it out.

Instead Gail gathered it all up together and shared it with the world. 8) :D
Thanks Gail Zappa.
Consider that. {-

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 1968
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Gail isn't Yoko,she didn't break up The MOI

Yoko didn't break up the Beatles. Be fair.


I'm not sure if you got my joke in the previous post.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 12839
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
downer mydnyte wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Gail isn't Yoko,she didn't break up The MOI

Yoko didn't break up the Beatles. Be fair.N



I'm not sure if you got my joke in the previous post.

I know and I did.You missed my point.Maybe you were jumpin' through a hoop a real fire?

Linda Eastman broke up the Beatles. :wink: {-

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3063
Location: Chicago, IL
downer mydnyte wrote:
Yoko didn't break up the Beatles. Be fair.


She certainly didn't strengthen their bond. :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new spin: Midlake - Provider

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:17 am
Posts: 333
Location: England
The latest from GZ: http://www.zappa.com/gzsez/questions/re-roxy-by-proxyroxy-performances-dvd/

_________________
What Rip Rense said about Zappa The Hard Way (available in paperback and on Kindle):

"Remarkable in detail and interview, an unexpected and invaluable look at a such an important and ill-fated moment in Frank's career."

www.idiotbastard.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3063
Location: Chicago, IL
The Idiot Bastard wrote:


To what address should I send my chewed-up fingernails? :x

_________________
Current favorite new spin: Midlake - Provider

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:58 am
Posts: 690
Location: West Haven Ct
IMO - I'd rather pay for the audio of the 4 complete shows - $ 50 each and forget about the Roxy video - how many times would any of us sit down and watch it? Now having 4 complete shows by that stellar band released - that is really what I am interested in.

Question to all - how many times have you sat down and watched the Dub Room Special as opposed to listening to the cd?

If Baby Snakes - the complete soundtrack was released on 3 cd's as opposed to the download - I'd also go for that.

_________________
Bobby


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:58 am
Posts: 690
Location: West Haven Ct
Also - IMO Gail is trying the best she can to get FZ's music out there. Who can complain about the number of releases and the quality of them that we have recently seen? Yeah she's making a profit - or at least I hope so...if not - she is going to lock the vault up...

Question to Gail - Could we fund Roxy by purchasing the 4 complete shows with a markup that would cover the cost of the shows plus a piece towards the project?

_________________
Bobby


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3063
Location: Chicago, IL
Bobby wrote:
IMO - I'd rather pay for the audio of the 4 complete shows - $ 50 each and forget about the Roxy video - how many times would any of us sit down and watch it? Now having 4 complete shows by that stellar band released - that is really what I am interested in.

Question to all - how many times have you sat down and watched the Dub Room Special as opposed to listening to the cd?

If Baby Snakes - the complete soundtrack was released on 3 cd's as opposed to the download - I'd also go for that.


To each their own. I'd really like the video, if you don't mind! :mrgreen:
I've watched Dub Room way more than listened to CD. I also prefer watching the '74 and '81 band videos *separately* from the composite featured on Dub Room.

_________________
Current favorite new spin: Midlake - Provider

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4397
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
PenguinInBondage wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
Yoko didn't break up the Beatles. Be fair.


She certainly didn't strengthen their bond. :mrgreen:


Listen to Yoko breaking up the Beatles HERE!

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/th ... 77469.html

(If you've got the patience)

_________________
"Secluded from mankind by his exalted dignity, the truth is concealed from his knowledge; he can see only with their eyes, he hears nothing but their misrepresentations."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3063
Location: Chicago, IL
Caputh wrote:
Listen to Yoko breaking up the Beatles HERE!

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/th ... 77469.html

(If you've got the patience)


O_o
Holy crap! I certainly don't have the patience for that.... how about the cliff notes? :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new spin: Midlake - Provider

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 4397
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Caputh wrote:
Listen to Yoko breaking up the Beatles HERE!

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/th ... 77469.html

(If you've got the patience)


O_o
Holy crap! I certainly don't have the patience for that.... how about the cliff notes? :mrgreen:


Well, you've got a pretty wide choice of Yoko getting on everbody's tits (apart from John's) during the "Get Back" sessions. However, my favourite moment has to be her various suggestions for a live show on January 6th 1969, which include playing a show to 20,000 empty seats while John offers no suggestions of his own and Paul desperately tries to agree with her and be diplomatic. Download just the dialogues (who needs 25 versions of "Don't Let Me Down" played badly anyway?) and find out more...

_________________
"Secluded from mankind by his exalted dignity, the truth is concealed from his knowledge; he can see only with their eyes, he hears nothing but their misrepresentations."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1023
Location: North German Wasteland
PenguinInBondage wrote:

To each their own. I'd really like the video, if you don't mind! :mrgreen:
I've watched Dub Room way more than listened to CD. I also prefer watching the '74 and '81 band videos *separately* from the composite featured on Dub Room.

I never listen to the CD. And I can't stand the '81 band in between that other stuff. I'd rather have the complete A Token Of His Extreme in its original form officially released instead of the Dub Room Special.

About the Roxy movie: Release it or don't, but leave me alone with all that soundtrack, "Roxy Proxy" and other ZFT "games". That bores me to death already.

Th.

_________________
Active forum member since 2005 - R E T I R E D from public forum activity in 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3063
Location: Chicago, IL
Caputh wrote:
Well, you've got a pretty wide choice of Yoko getting on everbody's tits (apart from John's) during the "Get Back" sessions. However, my favourite moment has to be her various suggestions for a live show on January 6th 1969, which include playing a show to 20,000 empty seats while John offers no suggestions of his own and Paul desperately tries to agree with her and be diplomatic. Download just the dialogues (who needs 25 versions of "Don't Let Me Down" played badly anyway?) and find out more...


Nice! K - we're gonna be chastised for straying off-topic here but I will say that the 'Let It Be' movie showed me *plenty* on what she did for the soul of the band. You can just see the body language alone from the other band members towards her (and, in turn, John). You could see them wishing for a live demonstration of "Bagism"! :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new spin: Midlake - Provider

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 12839
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
Mention Yoko or Gail and you get a whole page of answers to questions you didn't ask. :roll:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
I don't think Gail would be happy if she did what makes sense to us. She's obviously not only in it for the money.

I assume she likes to create drama. If the fans never paid attention to her and didn't eagerly await (and drool over) her official releases , she probably would have given us all exactly what we wanted a long time ago.
Some of you might want to consider that.
Or at least consider considering it.

Gail isn't Yoko,she didn't break up The MOI,nor do I remember her ever trying to outshine FZ.If she was artisticaly jeolous of the attention Frank got,she's kept it under wraps pretty well.Having a famous spouse,you get to know what the spouse/artist thought and wanted done with his/her music/art that was left unpublished.
Now consider she's got a secret book that FZ left her and she's just following the book.So are his kids.That would mean this is all Franks fault......wouldn't it? :|

The drooling does make sense.Who doesn't or wouldn't want people to like what your putting out? Especialy if you love it as much as the droolers do and laboured over the same artistic tracks as you and your spouse loved and listened to all those years ago?

She released all the old catalog and that keeps FZ's music out there for all of us and newbies too.Then she's done the other projects too.Just imagine if FZ had married someone who didn't want anyone to go through it until she was gone or tryed to sell or part it out.

Instead Gail gathered it all up together and shared it with the world. 8) :D
Thanks Gail Zappa.
Consider that. {-


Consider Gail did a good thing......is it possible or does everyone think she craves the attention now as opposed to all the years when FZ was alive?

If you want to hear Live @ The Roxy,just go to a GrandMothers show and see it live too.They do the whole album + extras! 8) :D

Stop with the Yoko/BeaTles crap or make your very own "Bash Yoko Here!","BeaTles Split!" thread,por favor. :mrgreen: {-

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14653
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Consider Gail did a good thing......is it possible or does everyone think she craves the attention now as opposed to all the years when FZ was alive?

If you want to hear Live @ The Roxy,just go to a GrandMothers show and see it live too.They do the whole album + extras! 8) :D

Stop with the Yoko/BeaTles crap or make your very own "Bash Yoko Here!","BeaTles Split!" thread,por favor. :mrgreen: {-


You talk about Gail, then The Grandmothers?!? You're not a company player, bub.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 12839
Location: Home of The Mondavi Center.
calvin2hikers wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Consider Gail did a good thing......is it possible or does everyone think she craves the attention now as opposed to all the years when FZ was alive?

If you want to hear Live @ The Roxy,just go to a GrandMothers show and see it live too.They do the whole album + extras! 8) :D

Stop with the Yoko/BeaTles crap or make your very own "Bash Yoko Here!","BeaTles Split!" thread,por favor. :mrgreen: {-


You talk about Gail, then The Grandmothers?!? You're not a company player, bub.

I like to push the envelope and wait for the axe to fall. :lol: {-

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 46  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group