PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:06 am 

jk666; nice mention of Dug Pinnik
D.B. I agree with your whole list.
Especially John Paul Jones, Geddy Lee, and Flea
Def. Les and Bootsy
I don't think can add any more.

I dont think it's possible to come up with the "Best"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:09 pm 

Love all the folks mentioned so far but have to add George Porter from The Meters. Totally solid rootsy playing who influenced everyone from Bootsy Collins to Flea to even Paul McCartney (who I believe hired the Meters to play at one of his birthday parties in the seventies).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:41 pm 

Best rock bassist (for today):

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:32 pm 

He's good.

Marcus Miller.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:08 pm 

I don't know if any here are bass players , and might live in the LA area , but I just sent over 200 cabinets to the winter NAMM show ( http://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2013 ).

We just finished some Aquilar and Bergintino cabs that sound quite nice. We also just completed some new stuff for Schecter , yes Schecter ( http://www.schecterguitars.com/Default.aspx ) is now supplying Combos and amps for their guitars !

Check out 3rd Power as well. http://www.3rdpower.com/

We built 2 one of a kind pyramid systems for Lenny Kravitz last year for them , and people seem to be enjoying the 3rd Power sound. More orders are coming in.

:smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:37 pm 

hey pedro, those pyramid cabs look cool
Do you include roadie instructions for how to stack them in the truck?!

My fave bassist is still Tom Fowler, mainly for what he did on Inca & Village etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:31 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:16 am 

Hugh Hopper
John Greaves
Janik Top
Holger Czukay
Mike Rutherford
Chris Squire
Douglas McCombs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:00 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Hugh Hopper
John Greaves
Janik Top
Holger Czukay
Mike Rutherford
Chris Squire
Douglas McCombs

Mike Rutherford? Really?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:55 am 

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Last edited by Mr_Green_Genes on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:30 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
Hugh Hopper
John Greaves
Janik Top
Holger Czukay
Mike Rutherford
Chris Squire
Douglas McCombs

Mike Rutherford? Really?

Yeah, the electric bass lines on the classic Seventies Genesis records are real good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:46 pm 

mutronboy wrote:
hey pedro, those pyramid cabs look cool
Do you include roadie instructions for how to stack them in the truck?!

I asked Lenny about that actually... He told me that what's he pays roadies for . :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:23 am 

tiboudre wrote:
Mike Rutherford? Really?

Yeah, the electric bass lines on the classic Seventies Genesis records are real good.

As a bassist, I gave this a little more thought are you are correct, the 70's stuff is decent bassline wise:

Watcher of the Skies, I Know What I Like, The Knife

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:28 pm 

I don't think Percy Jones has been mentioned. I really dig his playing on the early Eno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:16 pm 

mutronboy wrote:
I don't think Percy Jones has been mentioned. I really dig his playing on the early Eno

Phil Collins drew me to Brand X. Percy Jones kept me coming back!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:37 am 

My fav bass player is John Paul Jones and Geddy Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:23 pm 

I have seen a couple John McLaughlin shows in the past several years, and the bassists who performed with him -

Hadrian Feraud

Etienne Mbappe

- have been outstanding.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:54 am 

pedro2 wrote:
I don't know if any here are bass players , and might live in the LA area , but I just sent over 200 cabinets to the winter NAMM show ( http://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2013 ).

We just finished some Aquilar and Bergintino cabs that sound quite nice. We also just completed some new stuff for Schecter , yes Schecter ( http://www.schecterguitars.com/Default.aspx ) is now supplying Combos and amps for their guitars !

Check out 3rd Power as well. http://www.3rdpower.com/

We built 2 one of a kind pyramid systems for Lenny Kravitz last year for them , and people seem to be enjoying the 3rd Power sound. More orders are coming in.

:smoke:

good stuff http://www.suncoastanalog.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:33 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
jonas hellborg

At least mentionend once here. Deserves much more popularity.
Any vote for Bill Laswell?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:26 pm 

how bout Bill Wyman,,
cakest job in rock n roll,,,,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:56 am 

Helmut Hattler (amazing technique)

Arthur Barrow (amazing technique and feeling, and as his playing on parts of the College concert he did in april (?) last yearwith Tommy Mars and a specially assembled college band shows, he's still got it. All great musicians, even the college band)

Billy Cox (funky playing on the last Hendrix recordings)

John Paul Jones (feeling)

Glenn Hughes (funky)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:21 am 

There are many
Buster Williams

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:13 pm 

If Berry Oakley had not died at age 24 he might well have become known as the greatest rock bassist ever. It's amazing what he did with the Allman Brothers in such a short time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:50 pm 

Pete 'Overend' Watts from Mott The Hoople. Overend Watts!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:26 am 

Hi,

The only sad thing about the majority of folks listed here, is that too many of them are just pop/rock/jazz formulaic players, and as such they are not really that good ... if they were, they would be able to venture out beyond changing one note or chord to make them look better and more interesting or heavier.

It's weird, not seeing some of the ECM folks listed here, like Eberhard Weber, or even David Darling, or just a Charlie Haden, but it shows you that most of us do not listen to different things in order to know it better and more interesting.

There are a lot of bass players out there, that played far more difficult stuff than more than half the folks listed here, most of which only have their claim to fame tied to a few songs from their band! NOT their ability, which in general, it could be said they don't have enough, or they would be able to do different things.

None of these lists will ever show you a Pekka Pohjola, a Holger Czukay, a Jah Wobble, the late John Glascock, the gentleman in Banco del Muttuo Soccorso, Lothar Meid in Amon Duul 2 ... because most folks here can not relate to that music not being pop/rock/jazz related at all ... it's music on its own sphere, and experience ... and as such it deserves a lot more credit than "fans" will ever give it.

Some bits:

Terje Rypdal and David Darling -- EOS (skip first cut ... you have been warned!) so you can hear Chamber Music with an electric guitar and bass! Prettiest thing ever done, and copied by Jeff Beck and others 20 years later!

Holger Czukay -- "Movies" and "On The Way to the Peak of the Normal" ... bass on bass on bass with bass soloing over it. And lots of sound effects and fun stuff all over it. Not for the meek listeners of top ten at all!

Lothar Meid -- Amon Duul 2 ... specially the early days when they were improvising, and one uncompromising and not repetitive bass player that manages to add feel and touch to the music instead of just a beat. And when you get to "Wolf City" listen to the transition between "Surrounded by the Stars" and the next piece. You can NOT teach that ... you have to not only feel it, but love and want your music to live ... way longer than your imagination could possibly keep it alive! Most bass players do not have this ability to go beyond the individual into the area ... properly termed as "dream land" when creating music!

Roger Waters -- Highly unappreciated, since his playing has nothing to do with virtuosity, but with the compositional side of things and he does beautifully to add details that make it valuable. And you can go back to the start of "One of These Days", or the meandering off kilter notes in "Be Careful with That Ax, Eugene" that un-nerve you some with anticipation and wonder of what is about to happen, that it makes you realize ... this is not about some idiot song, or 3 notes ... this is about "experience" ... and so it was for Pink Floyd!

Helmut Hattler -- mentioned earlier. Read his interview about the early days, and how massive experimenting it was in his early days ... when he was basically playing with a Jimi Hendrix styled guitarist ... and Guru Guru's 1st three albums are a veritable lesson on what a bass (or guitar) can do, that it will NEVER do as just another song ... he never let go of the sound effects and the ability to make his sound come off really neat. It is ... LEAD BASS ... and not just trying to support a band ... and he was working with the one drummer, that would rather play off the guitar than the bass ALL OF HIS LIFE!

Just to name a few ... but there is one more. And he did a lot of material for Fairport Convention and for some early Richard Thompson. And make sure you put on LOUD the long live versions of "When Night Comes In" and "Calvary Cross" back to back, and appreciate what a bass player can do with anyone, that is never appreciated ... by fans!

You can NOT teach that ... you have to have it inside. And that is the difference between "music" and just another player of notes and chords!