Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 46  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:39 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Consider Gail did a good thing......is it possible or does everyone think she craves the attention now as opposed to all the years when FZ was alive?

If you want to hear Live @ The Roxy,just go to a GrandMothers show and see it live too.They do the whole album + extras! 8) :D

Stop with the Yoko/BeaTles crap or make your very own "Bash Yoko Here!","BeaTles Split!" thread,por favor. :mrgreen: {-

You talk about Gail, then The Grandmothers?!? You're not a company player, bub.

I like to push the envelope and wait for the axe to fall. :lol: {-

Your so proffessional... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:50 pm 

With the promise of more Road Tapes and the UME deal seemingly giving them ore opportunity for non-traditional releases, I am happy. If I get the movie, I will watch it several times, but it is far more likely that I will listen to the full soundtrack - a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:43 pm 

Maybe a better idea would have been to sell licensing rights to various FZ-themed merchandise. Every contributor would have the exclusive right to a unique product so that no one would be in direct competition with anyone else. Put on your Gene Simmons thinking cap and imagine what you could put the moustache-goatee logo on:
-- dental floss
-- USB sticks
-- plush poodles and frogs with dirty little lips
-- baseball caps
-- Pipco shirts
-- lithographs of album covers
-- lonely person devices
etc.

Plus, what about releasing PDF versions of The Frank Zappa Guitar Book and Them or Us, the Book?

Perhaps license one or two exclusive download-only (non-iTunes) releases just to test the waters and see how well (or poorly) they sell.

Roxy by Proxy seems like putting all the ZFT's eggs in one basket. Diversification could be a more workable strategy.

Of course we're only dreamin',
But I s'pose it's just as well
That's ALL you get to dream
Up in the Green Hotel

Last edited by FalseDichotomy on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: re: roxy swag
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:15 pm 

gz, on gz sez, wrote:
... A One-of-a-Kind Collector’s item, if you will ...
true, if only 1 copy is made it would be worth a g-note [maybe], to a collector; knowing a minimum of 1,000 copies are out there, it's more in the range of a c-note, maybe $150 tops, although it also depends on how fondle/fetish-worthy the marketing materials are ... a few cool posters, counter displays, balloons, jigsaw promos, and maybe even a full-size rubber ruth [who talks back]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:09 am 

Gail does have a point - if we want it - we should help to make it happen. Would I over pay for the cd? Yes.

Would I pay $ 1,000? That is a tough one. It is a lot of money. For 1 cd. but I am thinking about it...

Would generate more interest at a lower price.

Would I pay $ 1,000 for 5 (I stand corrected) complete Roxy shows mastered/mixed on cd? Yes indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:08 pm 

Quote:
Re: Roxy by Proxy/Roxy Performances DVD
Added: December 20th, 2012 in Questions
On Dec 18, 2012, at 4:31 PM, Jim, the Mailman wrote:

Hi Gail;
Firstly, thank you for all the efforts to keep Uncle Frank’s music coming. Many wonderful hours of listening have come our way!

My question concerns the Roxy by Proxy deal and the Roxy Performances DVD.
Will the DVD not be brought to fruition if you don’t get 1,000 people to sign on as licensees?
I ask because, in this digital age, it’s really hard to see 1,000 folks trying to compete with each other, as well as Barfko-Swill to sell the product, and enough units to make the venture at least break even.
I can understand your wanting to get others to take on that responsibility, owing to file-sharing and it’s sinister effects on profitability to the one who actually DOES put up the front money to sell CDs.

I don’t see the Roxy by Proxy deal happening and fear that the DVD will never see the light of day.
-Jizmo

Dear Mr. Jim the Mailman,

Have you no faith in the fans??!! Realistically, the idea of the contributors/distributors breaking even is some very tasty pie-in-the-sky. This is an appeal to help fund the The Roxy Performances – The Movie – but with a kick! We wanted to give something back to the main contributors for their effort on behalf of this film seeing the light of day/theater/tv & computer screen. A One-of-a-Kind Collector’s item, if you will. This is not really about competition but rather about community – of a Special Nature – brought to you by the people, for the people, all of whom are The Other People. I will continue to cross my fingers for FZ and maybe even extend the time frame if need be. No matter what, Roxy by Proxy will get out there.

Don’t worry, but if you must, send me your chewed up fingernails.

Thanks!

gz

So, we're definitely getting Roxy by Proxy. BUT...Gail hops, skips and jumps around part of his question regarding whether or not The Roxy Performances DVD will be released if there isn't enough financial support for Roxy by Proxy... :?

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:16 am 

Funny - Most of Gail's messages are foggy - this one on the other hand comes thru loud and clear...if we want it - we have to put our money up...without 1,000 investors Roxy DVD will not see the light of day in our life times (unless you are a young Zappa fan) - as for me who turns 60 in May - I think that the chance is slim.

That is why I have changed my focus on the 5 complete Roxy shows on audio in some form.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:44 am 

The audio of Roxy is bound to be more diverse and exciting than the film footage. Visually this band was not that far from Po-Jama People, and the entertainment value of Napoleon's bouncing and Ruth's tits won't last for the entire show. If the ZFT want money from the epileptic section of the fan base, they'll have to go easy on the FZtm super rapid cutting, too... With all these obstacles, it's no wonder that this is taking some time :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:48 am 

Bobby wrote:
Funny - Most of Gail's messages are foggy - this one on the other hand comes thru loud and clear...if we want it - we have to put our money up...without 1,000 investors Roxy DVD will not see the light of day in our life times (unless you are a young Zappa fan) - as for me who turns 60 in May - I think that the chance is slim.

That is why I have changed my focus on the 5 complete Roxy shows on audio in some form.

Here is my problem with that, not that you asked, the track record the ZFT has for over promising and under delivering is too vast a chasm to jump across.
If ZFT had put up a kickstarter or something similar that would guarantee me the product OR my money back if they couldn't get it done, then yes, I would be all over it.
But to say if 1000 people don't pony up $1000 each, no Roxy DVD for you? Sorry, I just don't trust that my money will actually show a return. Not only that, after you donate this $1000 to the cause, you then need to turn around and buy the movie.
No thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:17 pm 

BillyDaMt wrote:
Not only that, after you donate this $1000 to the cause, you then need to turn around and buy the movie.
No thanks.

Not only that but you'd have to pony up the $7 to ship the $1,000 item to yourself! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:01 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:
Not only that, after you donate this $1000 to the cause, you then need to turn around and buy the movie.
No thanks.

Not only that but you'd have to pony up the $7 to ship the $1,000 item to yourself! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The torture never stops!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:16 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:
The audio of Roxy is bound to be more diverse and exciting than the film footage. Visually this band was not that far from Po-Jama People, and the entertainment value of Napoleon's bouncing and Ruth's tits won't last for the entire show. If the ZFT want money from the epileptic section of the fan base, they'll have to go easy on the FZtm super rapid cutting, too... With all these obstacles, it's no wonder that this is taking some time :smoke:

Be fair to Ruth's tits. They were things of beauty.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 am 

i suppose a consortium is out of the question???

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:59 am 

Bill Hicks 666 wrote:

Make a proposal, folks here may be interested...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 pm 

Bill Hicks 666 wrote:

I can only assume you're referring to the Roxy by Proxy license and not appreciation for Ruth's chest as stated on the comment before you. :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 pm 

Not a breast consortium no...a roxy consortium... i suppose they've thought of that in 'we have the right' to reject any applicant clauses..... a consortium of forum members putting a fee in together, chosing their own artwork etc, getting the CD they want etc... i suppose they want individuals with $1000 dollars each to fund the DVD....one group of funders would be less than $1000 loads of people putting in $1000 but then again if they had $1000 dollars to spare they wouldn't need a consortium... i don't have $1000 spare... we could flesh the idea out between us... get a long standing trusted forum member as 'C.E.O' and he/she could be front person.... i don't know....it's a half baked idea....??? :?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:26 pm 

Bill Hicks 666 wrote:
Not a breast consortium no...a roxy consortium... i suppose they've thought of that in 'we have the right' to reject any applicant clauses..... a consortium of forum members putting a fee in together, chosing their own artwork etc, getting the CD they want etc... i suppose they want individuals with $1000 dollars each to fund the DVD....one group of funders would be less than $1000 loads of people putting in $1000 but then again if they had $1000 dollars to spare they wouldn't need a consortium... i don't have $1000 spare... we could flesh the idea out between us... get a long standing trusted forum member as 'C.E.O' and he/she could be front person.... i don't know....it's a half baked idea....??? :?

The forum members are gonna agree on the art work. :roll: If it's not Cal Schenkel or the original cover photography by Sherwin Titon,we ain't consortin' with nothin' buddy! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:54 pm 

Bill Hicks 666 wrote:
i don't know....it's a half baked idea....??? :?

You got my $7.50 Mr. Hicks! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:49 am 

>a consortium of forum members putting a fee in together, chosing their own artwork etc, getting the CD they want etc..
>.a roxy consortium...
as mentioned earlier a kickstarter project to collectively fund a single license should be possible and easy to setup.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:55 am 

Mr. Hicks. I will give you a $100. I nominate BBP for the CEO, Calvin for the Big Moralizer and poly for well-thought-out ideas. Oh yeah, I nominate jayp to shame others into donating.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:00 am 

Ha! Powerrr!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:38 am 

You think "Roxy by Proxy" is an innovative marketing ploy? Howzabout THIS one:

http://vimeo.com/53441332

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:12 am 

BillyDaMt wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:
No thanks.

The torture never stops!

To anyone who gives up the $1000...... I have an imaginary download to sell you. Whoever actually Trusts The Zappa Family Trust... should be examined.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:34 pm 

the 18001 members of this forum in a Consortium would get 1 roxy licence for 5 cents each but i only got o'level maths so don't put me in The Accounting Dept.... :?

approx $25000 dollars to produce 18001 double CD with dual case and full booklet artwork is $1.39 each....
:?:

let's go...!! :wink:

this guy auto qualifies for CEO for having the most posts... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:38 pm 

Bill Hicks 666 wrote:
the 18001 members of this forum in a Consortium would get 1 roxy licence for 5 cents each but i only got o'level maths so don't put me in The Accounting Dept.... :?

approx $25000 dollars to produce 18001 double CD with dual case and full booklet artwork is $1.39 each....
:?:

let's go...!! :wink:

this guy auto qualifies for CEO for having the most posts... :mrgreen:

Doug, that is a lot of posts, man I thought I had a boring life :roll: :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 46  Next