Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:55 pm 

That's a very interesting link, thanks. I'm obviously late to the party; but is this bundle of reissues still available? I don't see it listed on the official zappa site.

jk666 wrote:
Here's a handy list of all the 2012 reissues and why they're necessary.

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/2012hotpoop.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:36 am 

You may be dreaming the impossible dream, but it is the ZFT so ...... anything could happen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:56 am 

If they ever do release Halloween and Quad again I think they would make good 2-disc sets: quadraphonic DVD/Blu-ray audio on Disc 1 and a stereo mix CD on Disc 2.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:36 am 

It doesn't really make sense for ZFT to not re-release them seeing as all the Zappa masters they control are currently available.

You would think they would of been on this stuff to be ready for new fans coming on board/old fans reconnecting with Zappa's music.

As I said, I'm not losing sleep if I end up missing the two titles, it's just a bit annoying.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:23 pm 

Personally, I think it's a bit stupid that the Old Masters boxes have official discography numbers assigned to them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:48 am 

Laservampire wrote:
Personally, I think it's a bit stupid that the Old Masters boxes have official discography numbers assigned to them.

That has pissed me off for going on twenty years now!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:08 pm 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
Laservampire wrote:

That has pissed me off for going on twenty years now!

The first two might be because of the Mystery Discs. The third one...habit?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:04 pm 

I'm a younger guy and I've held out for years on buying the CDs. These new releases seem to be as definitive as they'll get (ignoring the project/object releases), so I've been stocking up on everything.

It helps that the HMV in downtown Montreal has all the reissues (even the double CDs) at $10 each!

Any word on 200 Motels? I haven't seen it in stores anywhere, but it's definitely in the sequence of official releases, and I'm getting tired of seeing a gap between official release 12 and 14.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:22 pm 

I'm not the only one then.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 pm 

Anyone compare Lather to the old one yet? I listened to the Ryko last night and found in comparison to the re-issues it seems a bit lacking sonic wise. Curious if the EQ is better on the new one. I skipped buying it since it missed the bonus tracks, tempted to grab it if it's different.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:37 pm 

Mr. Romberg wrote:
If they ever do release Halloween and Quad again I think they would make good 2-disc sets: quadraphonic DVD/Blu-ray audio on Disc 1 and a stereo mix CD on Disc 2.

Wow I purchased Halloween just a few months ago on Barfko-Swill. That one has a better chance of being back on-sale than Quadio. I emailed Gail about Quadio and was ignored, so I bought it on Amazon for 80 bucks! I'm insane, but it was the only one I needed for the entire discography to be completed (minus the Old Masters Sets, who cares those have been reissued with better sound since).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:38 pm 

Phil Campeau wrote:
I'm a younger guy and I've held out for years on buying the CDs. These new releases seem to be as definitive as they'll get (ignoring the project/object releases), so I've been stocking up on everything.

It helps that the HMV in downtown Montreal has all the reissues (even the double CDs) at $10 each!

Any word on 200 Motels? I haven't seen it in stores anywhere, but it's definitely in the sequence of official releases, and I'm getting tired of seeing a gap between official release 12 and 14.

Probably have to get the 1997 Ryko release. It sounds good, but is a bit pricy now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:57 am 

Phil Campeau wrote:

That thing's a copyright clusterfuck, so I doubt it'll appear again anytime soon. I'm sure Universal and the ZFT would both love to include in the remaster series, but there are too many rights holders in the picture to make it easy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:29 am 

In the end I did it.
First I bought the remasters only, then I bought them all :(
All spine's fault, cause the shelf with half Ryko and half Universal was really awful !!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:54 am 

Sterbus wrote:
In the end I did it.
First I bought the remasters only, then I bought them all :(
All spine's fault, cause the shelf with half Ryko and half Universal was really awful !!

I bought them all too, except for Lost Episodes, Yellow Shark and Lather. I kept the old ones of those. I also bought all the ZFT releases currently available through Barfko so I can continue to listen to these in release order. It's fun! I like to have fun!

I was late getting Mothermania due to availability in Canada (it's not available in Canada as far as I can tell) but finally got it and gave it a couple of spins. It regularly gets shit on, but it's a fun listen. Between the sequencing and remixing, it's like a new thing of old material. Good stuff.

Frank Zappa Plays the Music of Frank Zappa is a bit of a sideways release. I didn't care for it much when it came out and still don't. The songs and performances on the new stuff is fantastic, the presentation is bunk. Not a terrible release but hardly essential.

"Everything is Healing Nicely" I quite enjoyed. It's the perfect companion to "The Yellow Shark" obviously. That said, beautiful packaging aside, I can't help but think that EIHN would be better presented in a "Project Object" set with "The Yellow Shark". Do it as a 2 CD, 1 DVD set with the DVD of the performance that is floating around. I'm not sure if it ever got a legit release. We need one. In the end, I'm glad we have EIHN, better to have it then not. Really great performances on it.

Hats off to Gail for getting all of this stuff out. I just hope she can keep it all in print!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:40 am 

Ruz-El wrote:
"Everything is Healing Nicely" I quite enjoyed. It's the perfect companion to "The Yellow Shark" obviously. That said, beautiful packaging aside, I can't help but think that EIHN would be better presented in a "Project Object" set with "The Yellow Shark". Do it as a 2 CD, 1 DVD set with the DVD of the performance that is floating around. I'm not sure if it ever got a legit release. We need one. In the end, I'm glad we have EIHN, better to have it then not. Really great performances on it.

Hats off to Gail for getting all of this stuff out. I just hope she can keep it all in print!

That's a point - why has the ZFT not released a Yellow Shark DVD?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:11 am 

IrishBoris wrote:
Ruz-El wrote:

That's a point - why has the ZFT not released a Yellow Shark DVD?

I really wish they would. My son just started jazz band and I trully enjoyed showing him a crappy clip of G-Spot Tornado on YouTube, but an official copy would be so much nicer to share.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:21 am 

duchamp wrote:
I really wish they would. My son just started jazz band and I trully enjoyed showing him a crappy clip of G-Spot Tornado on YouTube, but an official copy would be so much nicer to share.

Well, for $5,000 (+$7 shipping), you can *OWN* the Yellow Shark DVD master and make copies for your friends! :mrgreen:
Errr...wait, wrong product.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:11 pm 

IrishBoris said: "That's a point - why has the ZFT not released a Yellow Shark DVD?"

That's a studendously, wounderful idea!!
I'm all for that!

Only I would want the "OVERTURE" to be included!
It's very awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:20 am 

jeddy wrote:
IrishBoris said: "That's a point - why has the ZFT not released a Yellow Shark DVD?"

I'm all for that!

It's very awesome!

ZFT doesn't own the video from Yellow Shark.
200 motels may be similar story.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:09 am 

brunofulax wrote:
jeddy wrote:

I'm all for that!

It's very awesome!

200 motels may be similar story.

200 Motels is definitely not owned by the ZFT and Gail has properly raised that point in previous 'GZ Sez' posts. That's why I won't buy one of the various DVD incarnations of the film, I always want to pay the ZFT for Frank's work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:06 am 

brunofulax wrote:

Oh, who does? I'll ask them then.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:25 am 

IrishBoris wrote:
brunofulax wrote:

Oh, who does? I'll ask them then.

ZDF - (Channel Two) 3Sat and arte in Germany (I believe) own the rights.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:28 pm 

Well that explains why the audio on the 200 Motels CD set is so goddamn awful
I suspect the original vinyl may sound better, but from memory that was tinny sounding as well

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:11 pm 

It was not one of his better-sounding LPs. I would have to look to remember what label it came out on, but I difdn't care for it so I bought the 200 Motels soundtrack on 8-track tape and that did sound better (except the Tuna Fish Sandwich orchestral sections were broken up across tracks 1 and 2).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120  Next