Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 172  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:44 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Dear Zappa friends, the Father of Mr_Green_Genes, my father, has passed away this morning after 18 years fighting prostate cancer. Remarkably similar to Mr Frank Zappa, from a physical standpoint (picture the cover of Jazz from Hell) - any Freudian reason for being a Zappa fan, myself? - since the discovery of his disease, he was able to see his children graduate, get married, have children of their own (except me), and also wrote two books and three piano compositions. He leaves wife, three children and three grandchildren. He will be thoroughly missed, but may he rest in peace. :cry:

Dear Mr_Green_Genes,
my sincere condolences to you from Germany. All the best to you and your family and my respects to your father who sounds like he was a really great guy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 pm 

So sorry to hear about your father Gabriel (Mr.G_G_). You know it's gonna happen,but it's still a shock when it does.To bad FZ didn't have 18yrs.after being diagnosed with prostate cancer.It sounds like he (your dad) spent his time doing what he liked doing,writing and composing.You were lucky to have him for that long.He must have been a fighter and did not go gently into that good night.I still miss my pop.The hurt of him passing has mellowed with time into fond memories of fishing,hiking and the times where just him and I were together.Stay strong my friend,he will be with you always.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:28 pm 

Thank you friends for the supporting words. I agree with them all and take them as a small relent in this difficult time. We are doing OK. Once again, thanks...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:22 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes, it sounds like you were lucky to have him as a father but he was also lucky to have you as a son because you are one of the classiest people on this forum. It's a terrible thing to go through - my sister and I spent today trying to find a hospice for my dad because his doctor said he only has a few weeks left, at best. My condolences to you and your family.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:51 pm 

Sorry to hear about your dad too,ReetyAwrighty.I hope you can find a hospice that can keep him comfortable as possible.I'm sending good luck and positive energy your way bro'.Wish I could do better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:00 am 

Stay strong Reety, make everything possible within your reach to make easier these difficult moments, every little thing counts a lot. God bless you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:05 am 

Thanks, Kapt. & Mr_G_G. Your kind words are very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:38 pm 

ReetyAwrighty wrote:
Thanks, Kapt. & Mr_G_G. Your kind words are very much appreciated.

This kind of stuff has no playbook, I'm going through it with my wifes cancer, I lost my Father at 21, and watched my wifes Mother and Step Mother suffer in death...all I got for you is try to stay positive, do not give in (Fight!), and maintian your sense of humor...that can be the one thing that saves you and somebody else... :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:29 am 

Ed Koch, former NYC mayor

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... 4893.story

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 am 

FalseDichotomy wrote:

and Peoples Court Judge... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 am 

Etch A Sketch inventor Andre Cassagnes dies at 86

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21311866

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:56 am 

Star Wars make-up artist Stuart Freeborn dies aged 98

Stuart Freeborn, the British make-up artist renowned for his contributions to 2001: A Space Odyssey and the Star Wars films, has died at the age of 98.

The make-up artist based the design of Yoda (l) on scientist Albert Einstein (r)

Freeborn did some of his most celebrated work for 2001's 'Dawn of Man' sequence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21357301

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:24 am 

Robin Sachs, best known for his portrayal of Ethan Rayne on Buffy the Vampire Slayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21343137

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:39 pm 

Fabio Frittelli, singer to Mo-Do. They had a hit in 1993 with Eins Zwei Polizei.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:06 pm 

BBP wrote:
Fabio Frittelli, singer to Mo-Do. They had a hit in 1993 with Eins Zwei Polizei.

1 2 Police?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:41 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
BBP wrote:

1 2 Police?

Sung to the tune of Ten Little Indians perhaps?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:55 am 

Possibly a German nursery rhyme. There's a Dutch one that is similar, except it goes 1 2 cup of tea 3 4 glass of beer etc. It was a big hit in its day and I'd hear it a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:14 am 

BBP wrote:
Possibly a German nursery rhyme. There's a Dutch one that is similar, except it goes 1 2 cup of tea 3 4 glass of beer etc. It was a big hit in its day and I'd hear it a lot.

Well....not my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:34 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
BBP wrote:

Disco sucks.Even disquised as a nursury rythme. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:39 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
BBP wrote:

This seemed like more of a dance/trance kind of thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:24 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
BBP wrote:

Hey watch it, Disco Days rocked.... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:15 pm 

Trance,dance,disco,it's all music that can get you pretty fucked up......ask Joe. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:08 am 

I understand Americans call it Eurodance, which is stupidly non-discriminating. House was the name of a dominant pop genre, and it existed in many variations. Of the top of my head I only recall ambient and gabba (latter being Dutch in origin and overly aggressive at 200 beats per minute), but there were many more. House is named after the Warehouse in Chicago, where the music originates. The music hasn't gone away, but the name house got replaced by dance.
The best-selling house record in The Netherlands, besides 2 Unlimited's No Limit, is the Smurf house album, a god-awful collection of hit songs as performed by people with slightly sped-up voices. Except for Knutsel Komt Zo, it's stuffed with house tracks.

Oh,what the hell. Here's the original, 2Un's Tribal Dance, the Smurf's No Limits with the original music video, something that I really liked back in the day and one, this one which I still hear on funfairs as sample, and another one to mess up your cookies.

(To block Recommended For You, block Youtube cookies, block DOM files, then watch a video and block cookies from every site your browser tells you you're looking at, and clear the cookies on your PC.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:36 am 

Tony Fish; Stage Hand extraordinaire, he was last managing all of Sigfried and Roy in Vegas.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:20 am 

From Les Claypool's Facebook page:

Hello everyone,

I am sad to report that my little nephew Matthew Pierce who has come to be known as Baby Matthew has passed on from complications related to his more than two year struggle with infant's leukemia. He passed this evening (Friday, February 8 ) just after 7pm pacific time at St. Jude's Hospital in Memphis Tennessee.

My heart aches for my Brother Ron, his wife Aimee and his kids Isaiah, Noah and Lilly. It has been an extraordinarily tough road for my Bro and his family and I want to thank everyone that has reached out to help them over the past couple years. The amount of support they have received has been phenomenal and very touching.

Matthew was a tough little guy who beat the odds for much longer than anyone every thought. Because of him and his tenacious struggle, there has been more knowledge accumulated in the procedures of how to treat Infant's Leukemia and the potential for survival is that much greater. Even though he was just a tot, he has done a great service to those future children that may be misfortunate enough to contract this mysterious and deadly disease.

Thank you all once again for your kind thoughts and generosity.

Les Claypool

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 172  Next