Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 2511
I did not write this, and I do not know who did. It was a letter to Michael Rivero at www.whatreallyhappened.com

I think it's awesome.

How to Respond to an anti Conspiracy Theorist

"You sound like a conspiracy theorist." RESPONSE: "Let me get this straight. Are you saying that men in high positions of power are not capable of criminal activity and telling lies to the general public? Are you really that naive?" (Laugh as you say this.)

"I'm not saying that governments don't lie, but a conspiracy like that would have to involve 100's of people. You can't hide something like that." RESPONSE: "You're absolutely right. I agree with you 100%. It is impossible to totally cover up a conspiracy so massive. That's why I know about it! What you must understand is that they don't have to cover it up totally. Even a bucket that has a few leaks can still do the job of carrying water from here to there! They only need to fool 80% of the public, which isn't hard to do when you control the major networks and newspapers. The 10-20% that do figure it out (and the fewer still who will dare to speak their minds about it) can be very easily marginalized with the propaganda label "conspiracy theorist." The 80% + never take us critical thinkers seriously because they want to be part of the majority. This is known as groupthink. (*Note: When saying "conspiracy theorist", always hold your two hands up as you make sarcastic quote marks with your fingers.)

"Not everything that happens in the world is a conspiracy!" RESPONSE: "Not everything is a conspiracy, but nor is NOTHING a conspiracy either. Wouldn't you agree that we should evaluate each case independently and with an open mind?" (Wait for response.)

"Governments are so incompetant that they can't even deliver the mail on time or balance a budget. They couldn't conspire their way out of a paper bag!". RESPONSE: "Don't confuse your incompetant, dim witted Congressman or Senator with the shadow government. The dark covert elements who stage these events are very skilled at carrying out, and concealing, their plots. Take for example the Manhattan Project. Hundreds of the world's top scientists were holed up in a desert for months as they worked on the Atomic Bomb. This conspiracy was so secretive, that when FDR died and Vice President Truman became President, FDR's advisors had to inform him of the Project's existence! So you see, the shadowy intelligence element of the government is VERY capable!"

"If this were true, the media would be all over it! It would be on the front page of every newspaper in America." RESPONSE: "The media, the government, the International bankers, Hollywood, and academia are all part of the same incestuous complex. The media is part of the conspiracy, so why would you expect them to tell you the truth?" (Wait for response.)

"You wouldn't be able to corrupt so many people. Every reporter and politician would have to be "in on it" in order to cover it up." RESPONSE: "The corruption doesn't come from the outside-in. It comes from the top-down. If the ownership of a major media organization decides that a certain story is to be spiked, or if another story is to be hyped, then the rest of the organization follows. If a low level reporter decides to defy his bosses, he will lose his job and be blacklisted. Remember Helen Thomas? After 50 years as a White House Correspondent, she was dumped like a hot potato for publicly criticizing Israel. The same fearful top-down control works in government and academia as well.

"This is crazy. I don't believe in conspiracy theories." RESPONSE: "You don't believe it? Or You don't WANT to believe it? There's a big difference between the two. The human mind is filled with complexes, one of which is the desire to shield itself from unpleasant truths. You're afraid that if you look into this, you might see that it's true. And you're especially afraid that if you come to agree with me, you too will then become marginalized as a "conspiracy theorist." It is FEAR that is causing you to close your mind and act like a sheep. Grow a pair and stop being so closed minded!"

"Conspiracy theories appeal to uneducated people because they provide simplistic answers to complex events." RESPONSE: "Exactly the OPPOSITE is true! The evaluation of conspiracy theories not only requires much time and study, but also applied logic and critical thinking. It is intellectually lazy people like you who choose to swallow and parrot whatever simplistic narrative that the TV feeds you. Do you ever question anything that the TV feeds you?" (Wait for response.)

"Conspiracy theories appeal to people because they are comforting." RESPONSE: "Exactly the OPPOSITE is true. It is far more comforting to believe that certain tragic events happen exactly as the TV says, than to believe in monstrous internal plots beyond our control. Do you actually think that I enjoy believing that such evil exists? You think I like being ridiculed by simple minded family members and friends? Take it from me, the life of a "conspiracy theorist" can actually be quite stressful at times!"

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." RESPONSE: "I don't believe everything that's on the Internet. But apparently you believe everything that's on the TV! I only believe those things which are verifiable, and consistent with my own sense of reasoning and logic. The beauty of the Internet is that, unlike the TV that you worship so much, all sides of an issue are presented on the Internet. It allows a critical thinker to figure out what the true story is. The TV doesn't give you that option. Do you really believe that the media presents the whole story? Are you that naive? (laugh) Remember the fairy tale of the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? The media shoved that lie down our throats. So why do you trust the media so blindly and not the Internet?" (Wait for response.)

"Some conspiracy theorists still believe Elvis is still alive." RESPONSE: "So, according to your twisted logic, because some theories are false, therefore ALL theories are false? I'm astonished that you could make such a stupid and offensive anology! Is that the best you got?" (Wait for response.)

"You don't have any respect or compassion for the family members of the dead." RESPONSE: "I am honoring the dead by pursuing the truth as to who killed them! If someone in your family was killed, wouldn't you want to know who the true culprit was?" (Wait for response.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15554
So what isn't a conspiracy? Kennedy? 9-11? What "conspiracy" do you think is actually false? If they can't all be true they can't all be false can they? Or do you believe them all? Are there any "not a conspiracy" facts in any of these cases that you look at that are not easily explained away? Or once you believe something to be a government lie do you believe that 100 percent of the people on the other side are lying or have something to hide? Do you think that people who don't believe in conspiracy theories are less intelligent than you?

_________________
I got friends who will give me fluck all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 2511
I think most people are too trusting of the "official word".

Nope, I don't think all conspiracy theories are true. Chemtrails, for example. I tend to think that we actually did land on the moon, although I've seen some pretty good presentations that insist it was faked.

Bilderburger / Illuminati satanic rituals? It could be, but who can know for sure except the participants?

Human-caused global warming? I think it's hyped as a way of imposing a worldwide carbon tax.

9-11-2001? Definitely a false flag hoax designed to justify blasting the shit out of any country containing oil. Here's a Belgian MP that feels the same way:

http://theintelhub.com/2013/01/25/power ... alse-flag/

Elite private bankers controlling governments? Google Rothschild.

Of course, governments will tell you that conspiracy theories are harmful to society. Check out Britain:

http://www.thedailybell.com/28622/Are-T ... -Democracy

To me, the benefit of investigating "conspiracy theories" lies in the exercise of critical thinking. It's obvious that swallowing the official line on everything is folly. After all, we all know governments have secrets. I think conspiracy theories are worth studying in order to get a better grasp on what is really going on.

By the way, is Obama weeding out military leaders that will refuse orders to fire upon Americans?

This guy says he knows someone in the loop, and this someone says it is so...

http://fromthetrenchesworldreport.com/o ... ens/32811/

Who knows? Could be. Who do you trust to tell you the truth?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 3044
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
A rope leash wrote:
Who do you trust to tell you the truth?

Not you. Sorry...

_________________
_________________Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15554
Explain to me how almost always believing one side of an argument is "critical thinking".

_________________
I got friends who will give me fluck all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 2511
It isn't. How did you get that from my post?

As I said, I do not believe all conspiracy theories. I do take them into consideration, however, and if what I have discovered about them tends to make me think they are valid, then I will give a particular theory more credence.

It boils down to who to trust, and I don't trust anything or anyone right out of the bag. Corporate media is under zero legal obligation to provide all the facts and all the truth, and is indeed under the control of corporate and government interests. So, why would I assume that they have my personal quest for truth at heart when they deliver their information?

Critical thinking means looking at all sides of a claim or issue before deciding which "facts" to take seriously. It doesn't mean always taking one side of an argument, and even though it may seem to some that this is what I do, I do not think that is the case.

UFO's for instance. I used to think that there was a good probability that beings from other worlds were visiting us. After years of interest in the subject, I now tend to doubt this assertion. I now understand that UFOs could be several other realities...government black ops, visitors from another dimension, or visitors from the future.

So, you see, I think you are not reading me carefully, calvin.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 6175
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
A rope leash wrote:
I now understand that UFOs could be several other realities...government black ops, visitors from another dimension, or visitors from the future.



Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 2511
Is that all you got, child?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 2511
I mean, don't you want to talk about the possibility of extra dimensions? The impact of time-travel? The very real existence of government black operations? These are as valid an explanation of UFO phenomena as alien being traveling light years in a machine they manufactured on their home planet light years away from Earth.

No? Don't want to talk about that? Not educated enough? Just want to throw a stone and run?

Okay then kiddie, run on home. Try not to poop your pants.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 pm
Posts: 6175
Location: echoing through the canyons of your mind
In order to participate in that conversation, I would need to start taking drugs.


Image


Besides, reality is weird enough on it's own.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 2511
Yes, a little mind expansion would be very helpful.

But you're too young.
























(and I'm too old!)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 24891
Location: Somewhere in time
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
A rope leash wrote:
I now understand that UFOs could be several other realities...government black ops, visitors from another dimension, or visitors from the future.



Image



Easy there space, the one provable conspiracy theory is the UFO conspiracy, its just the detials that are hard to nail down...there are several documents that show the goverment is aware of them and know they do not originate from any known earthly source... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 859
Location: Atlanta
A rope leash wrote:
I did not write this, and I do not know who did. It was a letter to Michael Rivero at http://www.whatreallyhappened.com

I think it's awesome.

How to Respond to an anti Conspiracy Theorist

(Laugh as you say this.)

(*Note: When saying "conspiracy theorist", always hold your two hands up as you make sarcastic quote marks with your fingers.)

(Wait for response.)



My only real problem with this post is the inherently antagonistic approach. How often have you converted anyone to believe your side of an argument by using the above quoted sections listed at the end of almost every on of the anecdotes in the original post? Sure, it's kind of fun to insult others and get a good laugh over on someone, but instead of getting them any closer to your side, they become defensive, which is never a place to put a person with an opposing view, unless your GOAL is merely to be snide and humorous. Even if I were likely to be convinced by the opinions of someone who approached me with the above method, I would feel compelled to politely ask them to "fuck off" since they feel it necessary to use such passive-aggressive techniques for dramatic flair rather than merely letting the facts back up ones opinions. I mean, let's be honest, do you really think that this approach:

A rope leash wrote:
No? Don't want to talk about that? Not educated enough? Just want to throw a stone and run?

Okay then kiddie, run on home. Try not to poop your pants.


Is going to do anything to convince Space? Sure, you can use the old "He started it" reply, if you want to resort to grade school diatribes, but that STILL does nothing to promote your beliefs. I admit it may be a waste of time to try and reason with some people, but wouldn't it make more sense to at least TRY not to stoop to their level?

However, if the goal is indeed to merely antagonize and insult, rather than actually change someone's mind, carry on.

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 2511
duchamp, I think in the context of an already existing animosity between SPACEBROTHER and myself, my chiding response to his assertion that I was a "screw ball" was certainly deserved by him. I would not ridicule or belittle someone that was not asking for it, and I would think that even SPACEBROTHER would agree that calling someone a "screw ball" is asking for derision.

The goal of the thread is, of course, to stir up shit, but I was hoping it wouldn't be the same old shit. I'm far beyond trying to change someone's mind at this point, so maybe it is just about the banter and not about the issue.

I was grumpy this morning and did not wish to be called a "screw ball" because of theories I give credence to. It was harsh, I suppose, but mama's real sorry.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 10457
Location: EINDHOVEN
Bump for reference!

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 14566
Location: Seat 38 on Phydeaux III
"What do you get for pretending the danger's not real."

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:11 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 7391
Location: Your Mom's Box
Conspiracy theorists are fucking idiots and should called that right to their stupid fucking faces.

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 8556
Location: LumberTruckCentral
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
"What do you get for pretending the danger's not real."

First in line on the road to the valley of steeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!

_________________
Who do you write for? I wanna know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 pm
Posts: 2511
The term "conspiracy theory" comes from the Warren Report. Various security agencies of the government have used the term to deride and diminish any cynical point of view that diverges from the official line.

Think about that and who it is that is telling you all that "conspiracy theorists" are whacko nut-jobs. All mainstream media is controlled by just a handful of corporations, all of which are under the control and influence not only of government regulation, but of government control. So, the same "vested interest" folks that would benefit from a hidden conspiracy are using their controlled information racket to tell you that anyone who speaks of a conspiracy, (even with good evidence!) is misinformed or crazy or even dangerous.

Talk about gullible. You think I'm stupid?

Attachment:
a Media-Fact-Checkers.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 10457
Location: EINDHOVEN
As I said - at the time this thread appeared, I'd just spent some time listening to a friend of my father's. He and my dad suffered the dark side of democracy when they joined a new political party and the party leader was decided by vote: the winner was somebody whose son, daughter-in-law and a friend were also in the group (there were only 10 voters). It lead to friction and that came to an explosive moment where my dad's friend was framed for having written threatening letters. The charges were blown up and friend spent three nights in a police cell. He was eventually cleared of all charges after two years of pointless research (they took his computer and printer all this time). Something snapped in him over the three days he spent in jail, and that made him do a lot of calculating. He's now convinced there's a sort of secret order that you can only get in if your names have certain letters in them or add up to a certain numerological number. This is why Shinzo Abe is in power and it's why the Dutch king gave his kids all names that start with an A (etc etc, he had dozens of examples).

I've seen enough about the world to know a thing or two about the Freemasons and I'm aware that there's some fishy backrubbing politics going around - but it'll hardly span the globe, and by the time you believe that the party leader is being elevated because her initials are TB while ignoring your own initials are TB - then you've officially abandoned logic.

Abandoning logic is only useful for playing Phantasmagoria - A Puzzle Of Flesh.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 14566
Location: Seat 38 on Phydeaux III
2015 Unfortunate Truth JFK, 9/11, and Beyond - The World We Live in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0bOm5c43js

_________________
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true Art and Science. - Albert Einstein

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], jaypfunk and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group