Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:43 pm 

is he the beast that Pete is? I mean of course you have to be good as hell to perform Frank's work, but have there been any songs like Catholic Girls or Keep it Greasy performed since he joined?

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:23 pm 

I will apologize in advance, but I hate both of those songs you just mentioned and would go to the bathroom during them if they were played at a show I attended. :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:10 pm 

Dweezil doesn't hire people who can almost play the material. Except himself, lol, m i rite

(sarcasm smiley)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:06 pm 

Who is play bass now?

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:14 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Who is play bass now?

Me not know.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:43 pm 

Kurt Morgan: Bass

I saw him with PIB and TPB in Madison, he plugged right in as far as I am concerned, excellent...I was impressed... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:21 pm 

Plook wrote:
Kurt Morgan: Bass

I saw him with PIB and TPB in Madison, he plugged right in as far as I am concerned, excellent...I was impressed... :smoke:

He's no Scott Thunes or Tom Fowler.....yet.From the vids I've seen/heard he fits right in. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:02 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Who is play bass now?

Me not know.

The fuck what.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:23 am 

Muffin's Arf wrote:
I will apologize in advance, but I hate both of those songs you just mentioned and would go to the bathroom during them if they were played at a show I attended. :smoke:

Well, most bass players piss themselves over those songs. Classic slap licks at their best.

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:11 am 

Funny you mention slapping because I think Arthur was the only prominent slap bassist in Frank's band. Scott did it a tiny bit in the bridge of Keep It Greasy, as seen in DHBIM DVD.

I'm trying to think of a list of Frank's slap bass tunes:

The Central Scrutinizer
Catholic Girls
A Token Of My Extreme
Stick It Out
Dong Work For Yuda
Keep It Greasy
Fine Girl
a little bit in Dance Contest
Soup 'n' Old Clothes
No Not Now
Tink Walks Amok
Frogs With Dirty Little Lips
Won Ton On (it's actually a different bass line, not just played backwards)
I Don't Even Care
No No No - Remix

Have I forgotten anything? Have I gone a bit overboard? Probably

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:07 am 

You forgot the best one. Packard Goose.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:25 pm 

Keep it Greasy might be the #1 "gets stuck in my head for no fucking reason" song.

Damn you Frank! :smoke:

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:17 am 

schvanzbass wrote:
Keep it Greasy might be the #1 "gets stuck in my head for no fucking reason" song.

Damn you Frank! :smoke:

That darn 19/16 time is so seductive. If only more groups utilized it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:43 pm 

"Slap bass" should not even be a separate term from simply "bass". You either play bass or you don't.

No one in DZ's band will ever compare to the guys who played this music when it was fresh and exciting, and performed it when it was brand new with the man who composed it.

Music nerds: you all suck at performing music. You mimic. The world doesn't need any more mimics. You're simply diluting the good stuff. Be a man and play something personal and unique. Use your own voice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:06 pm 

That's why I say no to cover bands. But it always help learning other music so you can pick up new techniques, if not improve the ones you already know.

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:34 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
"Slap bass" should not even be a separate term from simply "bass". You either play bass or you don't.

No one in DZ's band will ever compare to the guys who played this music when it was fresh and exciting, and performed it when it was brand new with the man who composed it.

Music nerds: you all suck at performing music. You mimic. The world doesn't need any more mimics. You're simply diluting the good stuff. Be a man and play something personal and unique. Use your own voice.

Slap bass is a separate bass 'style', though. And we will discuss it at will. Good luck with your teachings sir.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:16 am 

Does anyone know the complete current band lineup?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:37 am 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
Does anyone know the complete current band lineup?

Well, looking here is a bad idea: http://www.zappaplayszappa.com/players.html :roll:

Currently it is
DZ, Gonzales, Travers, Ben Thomas, Chris Norton and Kurt Morgan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:14 am 

coevad wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

Slap bass is a separate bass 'style', though. And we will discuss it at will. Good luck with your teachings sir.

Thanks. Good luck with your slapping.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:19 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

I guess Vic Wooten isn't original since he mimics Larry Graham :roll:

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:19 am 

schvanzbass wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

I guess Vic Wooten isn't original since he mimics Larry Graham :roll:

I was going to say the same thing! Besides does FZ's voice differ with his music being played via rock combo, synclavier or orchestra?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 am 

schvanzbass wrote:
I guess Vic Wooten isn't original since he mimics Larry Graham

How is a mimic original?

I think Victor Wooten was influenced by Larry Graham.

tiboudre wrote:
does FZ's voice differ with his music being played via rock combo, synclavier or orchestra?

Not really. It's still his voice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:58 am 

Getting back to Kurt, for those of you who may not know: he used to “lay down the grooves night after night” for Hilary Duff, and can be heard on the 2010 and 2011 AAAFNRAA birthday bundles ripping through Willie The Pimp, Bobby Brown, Your Mouth, Yellow Snow and Magic Fingers.

His day-job is 'ScoreMeister' for the ZFT, curating FZ's written music. He'll be around for some time, I would imagine.

"Remarkable in detail and interview, an unexpected and invaluable look at a such an important and ill-fated moment in Frank's career."

www.idiotbastard.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:09 pm 

I actually think a bass slap or (slap bass) discussion of the recorded Zappa canon is appropriate, any more tittles? Tink Walks Amok in in the top!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:21 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I actually think a bass slap or (slap bass) discussion of the recorded Zappa canon is appropriate

Of course it is.

A bass player slapping the bass is pleasurable to my ears for maybe 8 minutes per every 90 minutes played.
In Zappa's catalog, there is almost no "slap bass" playing that I enjoy. None at all that I can think of.
Keep It Greasy has no soul and I really dig soul. The first time I heard it I thought,"uh oh, this is where the music nerds took over Zappa's band." It's so mechanical I feel like a robot. A bored robot. Zappa's disconnected xenochrony can't save it for me.

Players like James Jamerson had feeling and it didn't matter if he changed his strings or what he played through or if his bass was nice and shiny.

The guy playing with Dweezil is not really allowed to express himself musically in that band so I can't comment on his playing.