Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: ZPZ in NYC on Halloween!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:52 pm 

It's kind of odd that they're announcing a ZPZ show and already putting tix on sale for it so far in advance. But then again, according to Dweezil, it's going to be a special presentation. I wonder if it's going to be similar to the BBC Orchestra's 200 Motels concert at the Royal Festival Hall in London two days before this event? Or maybe it will include Alumni in the line-up? Or maybe it'll possibly be another album entirety show, like some of us were treated to a few years back with Apostrophe (')?! Let the speculation fly...

Here's the link:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1D004A3ECB6A62F8

Ticket prices are: $53.25, $63.50, $90.10, $117.50 & $150.75. The $150.75 tix appear to already be sold out...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:13 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:22 pm 

Once again we have conflicting information. DZW website sez showtime is 7pm

http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/events

and ticketmaster sez its 8. Anyone know wtf is goin on?

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1D004 ... contheatre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:09 pm 

Yes, someone does. However, I am not that person.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:33 am 

What is interesting to me is the price of tickets. I was at the 06 Halloween show and scalpers could not give tickets away. With Steve Vai . NMB and Terry Bozzio playing - the 13 show must have some big names in the lineup

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:01 am 

VinylJunkie wrote:
What is interesting to me is the price of tickets. I was at the 06 Halloween show and scalpers could not give tickets away.

Well, that was the 2nd Metro NYC show in '06 in only a few months. Not to mention that the Theatre @ MSG is about twice the size of the Beacon Theater - where they played the first time through in '06.

VinylJunkie wrote:
With Steve Vai . NMB and Terry Bozzio playing - the 13 show must have some big names in the lineup

I was just thinking that to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the Roxy shows and its apparent DVD release set for December 2013, they might be performing Roxy & Elsewhere in its entirety with some Alumni from that era like George Duke, Tom, Walt & Bruce Fowler, Ralph Humphrey, Chester Thompson and maybe even Napoleon Murphy Brook & Ruth Underwood.

We'll see...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:03 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
VinylJunkie wrote:
What is interesting to me is the price of tickets. I was at the 06 Halloween show and scalpers could not give tickets away.

Well, that was the 2nd Metro NYC show in '06 in only a few months. Not to mention that the Theatre @ MSG is about twice the size of the Beacon Theater - where they played the first time through in '06.

VinylJunkie wrote:
With Steve Vai . NMB and Terry Bozzio playing - the 13 show must have some big names in the lineup

I was just thinking that to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the Roxy shows and its apparent DVD release set for December 2013, they might be performing Roxy & Elsewhere in its entirety with some Alumni from that era like George Duke, Tom, Walt & Bruce Fowler, Ralph Humphrey, Chester Thompson and maybe even Napoleon Murphy Brook & Ruth Underwood.

Now [i]that[i] would be freakin amazing.
Funny- I've seen most if not all of the NY shows and don't ever remember a show @ Theatre at MSG. Did I miss something?

Just recently recv'd my tix and they show showtime @ 8pm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:03 am 

It'd be cool if Ike was there too........ And monkeys will fly out of my ass! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:44 am 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
Funny- I've seen most if not all of the NY shows and don't ever remember a show @ Theatre at MSG. Did I miss something?

FYI
Zappa Plays Zappa has performed at The Theater At Madison Square Garden on two seperate occasions.

- The first being the bands World Premiere, Jammies April 20, 2006.
The band performed Florentine Poegen(Jake Cinniger, Guest-Guitar)
and Inca Roads (Chick Corea, Guest- Keyboards)

-Secondly. ZPZ Headlined the venue Halloween 2006.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:23 am 

History in the making. It's the return of Trendy. Be afraid. Be very, very...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:44 pm 

Boooom!

seep.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:26 pm 

Here's a recent interview with Dweezil conducted about a month ago (the full interview can be read here: http://www.shockwavemagazine.com/index. ... Itemid=118):

"One of the things that we're considering is another tour later in the year in which we'd play a full album, and it probably would be Roxy & Elsewhere, since it's the 40th anniversary. So that's something we're thinking about."

So, it does now seem that ZPZ will be playing Roxy & Elsewhere in its entirety to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the album along with its apparent DVD release in December, on their Fall tour later this year, minus Alumni...

--------------------------------

The Beacon Theatre now has an interactive seating chart for the Halloween ZPZ show. And so far about 50% of 3,000 or so seats have been sold...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:13 am 

If they are going to do Roxy & Elsewhere, they absolutely have to get Ruth and Bruce Fowler as guests. Otherwise, it'd be a huge letdown.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
If they are going to do Roxy & Elsewhere, they absolutely have to get Ruth and Bruce Fowler as guests. Otherwise, it'd be a huge letdown.

They gotta have vibes if they're gonna do that album

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:23 am 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
tiboudre wrote:

They gotta have vibes if they're gonna do that album

They performed some of that material already as a 6 piece and it was very good, there using keyboards and drums to make up for it, Joe was on fire... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:48 pm 

When I saw them they avoided many marimba songs, but used the keyboard when they had to. I thought it sounded pretty cheesy. They also used the keys to simulate guitars at some points. Get the real thing again Dweezil, in the long run it's a better decision.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Last edited by Ronny's Noomies on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:38 am 

I bet the inflated price will include a FREE download ! :smoke: $ 53.25 for last row balcony? You have got to be kidding me. It should be for front row with soundcheck.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:19 pm 

OBDULA X wrote:
I bet the inflated price will include a FREE download ! :smoke: $ 53.25 for last row balcony? You have got to be kidding me. It should be for front row with soundcheck.

No such thing as a free download..haven't u learned anything ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:31 pm 

OBDULA X wrote:

You MUST be joking?

In the vast majority of cases, ticket prices are scaled based on supply and demand. Heard of it? And Metro NYC/NJ is THE biggest market for FZ's music on planet earth by a MILE. If you lived in a B market like Des Moines, IA, Albuquerque, NM, Oklahoma City, OK, Richmond, VA, Eugene, OR, etc., I can assure the prices would be scaled lower.

For the Halloween Beacon Theatre show, despite the top tier price of $150.75 w/ fees and includes a VIP package w/ soundcheck access, the average price for this show should come out to about $75, which is only slightly above the average concert ticket price of $68.76 for 2012...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:45 pm 

Sorry, no matter what you call it, it's still way overpriced.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:13 pm 

OBDULA X wrote:

Paid less than $30 in Madison... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:42 pm 

tweedle-dee wrote:
OBDULA X wrote:

It's not overpriced if the prices are scaled in relation to what the market can bear at any given point in time. And the ZPZ Halloween Beacon Theatre show is no exception. As long as there are no other NYC/NJ area shows this year, the show in question will be sold out or very close to by showtime...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:49 pm 

Plook wrote:
OBDULA X wrote:

No hidden meaning here, don't over think it you may hurt yourself (as if more damage could be done), I simply paid less than $30 and was surprised and glad... :D

Living in Nor Cal ZPZ is a good draw and very seldom can you get good seats for less than $70...which I still consider reasonable... 8)

The notorious download tour we did not get the download option and they played in Berkley and our tickets were as much as most YCFTOSA tickets... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:49 pm 

I really don't care who it is, $150 is too much for a concert. NYC or not. Especially a cover band.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:33 pm 

OBDULA X wrote:
I really don't care who it is, $150 is too much for a concert. NYC or not. Especially a cover band.

It should never be that much, I say around $50 should cover, a special event and major market, I may be willing to fork $150... :smoke:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next