Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: headphones help
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:02 am 

as far as on-ear headphones go, i've been using a pair of sennheiser px 100's for several years and love them. unfortunately, they've seen better days. i recently purchased the next generation model px 100 II, and they are clearly inferior in terms of both sound and comfort.

can anyone recommend some on-ear phones (as opposed to the over-ear cups). thanks!

edit: actually, any headphone recommendations at all would be welcome.

>You don't.

Last edited by sleeping in a jar on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: re: headphones help
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:12 am 

+1, could use some advice myself ... also, any decent on- or over-ear wireless 'phones & do they stack up against wired ¿ my sony bluetooth earpuds have great sound, ~25 to 30 feet with no dropouts, came with the walkman

Post subject: Re: headphones help
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:34 am 

i've always gone with sennheisers. i recently bought the px200-11 which do a good job on my ipod. i think you'd call them "on ear" as they don't fully enclose the ear. i have some fully enclosed ones for my home stereo (HD 215) which i'm pretty happy with too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:35 am 

Uncle Bernie wrote:
i've always gone with sennheisers. i recently bought the px200-11 which do a good job on my ipod. i think you'd call them "on ear" as they don't fully enclose the ear. i have some fully enclosed ones for my home stereo (HD 215) which i'm pretty happy with too.

thanks bernie.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:18 pm 

Alas, the death of the wonderful PMX-100's, I just mothballed my second pair, (didn't have the heart to toss them; they'd been through the war so the end of the cord is barely hanging on...but they stil play, just not out on my bike in rough use).

I went on the hunt, and as you found no more PMX 100's, so I went with another pair of PMX - 60, which are pretty good and lightweight. http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PMX-60 ... rds=pmx+60

The best around the neck I have ever heard, and they even blow the PMX-100's right out of the water are the iGrado's, http://www.amazon.com/Grado-iGrado-Head ... rds=igrado . They actually mounted the drivers from their SR-60's, so they are not even in the same class as the pmx's.

The down side is the drivers are heavier and and amd not be asthetically appealing to some. They are also a bit tight. I find that the fit is uncomfortable after 2 hours on a bike, but they are fine for an hour, so if I'm going out for a while, I use the PMX's.

If you have an isomething, these from Polk are very impressive.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-UltraF ... headphones

I had a pair for a day, but the plug on them is made for an iPhone and ahas three connectors, (one for the in line microphone), which made them incompatable with my Sont NetMD. They sounded better than the PMX-100's, but alas I had to send them back.

So I gave up on the hunt to equal my PMX-100's in sound and weight, I went with the good ole reliable PMX-60's.

I've tried a lot of other kinds, but those are the top sport headphones. I had a pair of I think PMX 200's, and I sent them right back, no-where near my 100's.

For home use I have the Grado SR-325i's, they've come down $50 bucks in price but are still $300.00. It's the best sound I've ever experienced.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:00 pm 

I also have Grado's; they are fabulous and not expensive.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject: re: headphones help
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:57 pm 

thanks bernie, baddy & ronnny's; those grado look great but a bit $teep; what about grado 225i at about half the cost of the 325i ¿

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:11 pm 

thanks baddy, much appreciated, will def check out your recommendations.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:55 pm 

I really like my AKG K240's very much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:20 pm 

So did you decide on anything?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:27 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
So did you decide on anything?

well i wound up buying a pair of sennheiser hd558's...these huge over the ear things that have absolutely nothing to do with what i was looking for. i like 'em though.

i also "repaired" my original px100's with new ear pads and creative use of scotch tape. they're functional, and i'll continue using them until they fall apart.

sennheiser wanted some crazy price for replacement pads, so i went to my local walmart, bought a $5 pair of sony headphones, and took the pads off of them. works fine.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:20 am 

My boss offered to buy me a pair of wireless headphones for the office. My desk used to be in the warehouse because that is where my soundlab is, and I could blast tunes all day long. But I got moved to the office so the warehouse can hold more warehousey things. In the deal, they offered to by me a pair in the range of $100-200 and they must be wireless. If I decide that I like something above that range, I'll spring for the difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:47 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 pm 

Philips girl here. Once I got this over-ear model that sounded so great, I got two more pairs of them and fixed them if possible whenever I broke them down over some good Zappa. It was as if there were six people standing around you singing to you.

Once I got wireless Sony headphones, they're still in good condition. I rarely used them since they have an annoying high beep.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:59 pm 

Anybody ever try PSB M4U 2? They are expensive at $399, but since my boss would pay $300 (He upped the number!), I would only have to chip in $100.

http://www.amazon.com/PSB-M4U-Cancelling-Headphones-featuring/dp/B007TTD7VO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390513700&sr=8-1&keywords=psb+m4u+2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:04 pm 

Here's what I finally got:

They are called Parrot Zik and they are way over the top both in price and quality. Includes Noise Cancelling and a Droid App that has EQ and room simulation including a setup tuned by Lou Reed. Since I'm getting headphones that I never thought I'd get, I upped the ante a bit more. I wanted to be able to switch between iPod and Laptop and add a bit of EQ, so I got a Pokketmixer, which sends the audio to a Miccus Bluetooth Transmitter as well as a small desk monitor speaker.

It took a bit to figure out, considering that I've never used Bluetooth before. If anyone is wondering, that is a Fostex Personal Monitor 6301B. It sounds great and I have it set up for Mono. Yes Mono.
I keep my own laptop at work, separate from my work computer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:16 pm 

Oops, wrong thread...