Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:49 pm 

Has she copyrighted "Adelaide Sloatman" and/or "Grunt Woman" yet?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:19 pm 

I wonder what all the fanboys on the Beefheart website feel about all this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:15 pm 

Wonder how this concert in Amsterdam will be effected?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:15 pm 

oops

http://garylucas.com/www/dates/wocb.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:59 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
johnnycat wrote:
Nobody I ever heard of likes Trout Mask the first time, especially sprawled over 2 LPs, running the length of a movie. It is a monstrous portion of music with no references that last, there is nothing to grab on to, like being in musical whitewater trying to grab hold of something solid and real that you know of. It took me 3 - 4 times before I started to "get it", then once I got it about the 5th time, I've never left it. Sounds like you need to try one or two more times before all is revealed. Raw and unrelenting at first, it gets richer, warmer, and deeper with age. I find great joy and humor in it overall, and it makes me smile every time I listen to it. That said, putting Frownland at the beginning was a brilliant idea.
I still want the CB sunglasses- guess they are trout-shaped?

No thank you.

Calvin and I have been through this already. He's still pissed that I talked him into listening to it that fourth time. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:13 pm 

KUIII wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
johnnycat wrote:
Nobody I ever heard of likes Trout Mask the first time, especially sprawled over 2 LPs, running the length of a movie. It is a monstrous portion of music with no references that last, there is nothing to grab on to, like being in musical whitewater trying to grab hold of something solid and real that you know of. It took me 3 - 4 times before I started to "get it", then once I got it about the 5th time, I've never left it. Sounds like you need to try one or two more times before all is revealed. Raw and unrelenting at first, it gets richer, warmer, and deeper with age. I find great joy and humor in it overall, and it makes me smile every time I listen to it. That said, putting Frownland at the beginning was a brilliant idea.
I still want the CB sunglasses- guess they are trout-shaped?

No thank you.

Calvin and I have been through this already. He's still pissed that I talked him into listening to it that fourth time. :mrgreen:

A pox upon your livery!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:55 am 

To anyone who has a problem with TMR, I suggest listening to the Trout House sessions without vocals on Grow Fins. Those tracks reveal complex and yet tightly structured music by The Magic Band. As much as I love the Captain's lyrics and vocals, I think it's his contribution that alienates some musically minded people. Like a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag, the vocals disrupt any sense of structure that the meticulously crafted music might have given. Until the first shock has been digested and you can start listening more closely. Not to take anything away from Vliet, because the music was built from his raw genius ideas, and the lasting appeal of the album as a whole comes from his vision and imagery. The Trout House sessions are great, but without Beefheart's poetry the Magic Band could only have gained a small cult following. Trout Mask Replica's appeal is the sense of absolute anarchy/freedom combined with extremely disciplined music. And thus it has a LARGE cult following.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:00 am 

johnnycat wrote:
oops ...
You say oops, but you can go back and delete the link in the original post ... if you want ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:35 am 

So, is there anyone else that would deserve to copyright the name more? (This is an actual question, not sarcasm)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:41 am 

Sure - his widow Jan.The Beef was an only child, he and Jan have no children, so she would be it. I would think she would do what she needed to protect what there is of the estate. At least Gail can't touch his artwork, since that was under his real name. His music still pulls in royalties, but I don't know where the checks go.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:04 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:
To anyone who has a problem with TMR, I suggest listening to the Trout House sessions without vocals on Grow Fins. Those tracks reveal complex and yet tightly structured music by The Magic Band. As much as I love the Captain's lyrics and vocals, I think it's his contribution that alienates some musically minded people. Like a squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag, the vocals disrupt any sense of structure that the meticulously crafted music might have given. Until the first shock has been digested and you can start listening more closely. Not to take anything away from Vliet, because the music was built from his raw genius ideas, and the lasting appeal of the album as a whole comes from his vision and imagery. The Trout House sessions are great, but without Beefheart's poetry the Magic Band could only have gained a small cult following. Trout Mask Replica's appeal is the sense of absolute anarchy/freedom combined with extremely disciplined music. And thus it has a LARGE cult following.

I might argue that Frank Zappa has a LARGE cult following while CB and the Magic Band has a SMALL cult following. I remember reading a book in the '90's by Kurt Loder where one chapter is devoted to TMR. If I remember correctly it listed the total album sales to that point (25 years or so after it's release) at about 90,000. That didn't seem like very much for an album that had been hailed in the rock press for all that time as a rock masterpiece.