Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:15 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I actually think a bass slap or (slap bass) discussion of the recorded Zappa canon is appropriate

Of course it is.

A bass player slapping the bass is pleasurable to my ears for maybe 8 minutes per every 90 minutes played.
In Zappa's catalog, there is almost no "slap bass" playing that I enjoy. None at all that I can think of.
Keep It Greasy has no soul and I really dig soul. The first time I heard it I thought,"uh oh, this is where the music nerds took over Zappa's band." It's so mechanical I feel like a robot. A bored robot. Zappa's disconnected xenochrony can't save it for me.

Players like James Jamerson had feeling and it didn't matter if he changed his strings or what he played through or if his bass was nice and shiny.

The guy playing with Dweezil is not really allowed to express himself musically in that band so I can't comment on his playing.

Slappin Da Bass - I Love You, Man FULL High Quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W3NERMKIBM

Rush Time Machine Tour Syracuse "Slappin Da Bass"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lWrZG89XVM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:02 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I actually think a bass slap or (slap bass) discussion of the recorded Zappa canon is appropriate

Of course it is.

A bass player slapping the bass is pleasurable to my ears for maybe 8 minutes per every 90 minutes played.
In Zappa's catalog, there is almost no "slap bass" playing that I enjoy. None at all that I can think of.
Keep It Greasy has no soul and I really dig soul. The first time I heard it I thought,"uh oh, this is where the music nerds took over Zappa's band." It's so mechanical I feel like a robot. A bored robot. Zappa's disconnected xenochrony can't save it for me.

Players like James Jamerson had feeling and it didn't matter if he changed his strings or what he played through or if his bass was nice and shiny.

The guy playing with Dweezil is not really allowed to express himself musically in that band so I can't comment on his playing.

We thought you didn't listen to tribute bands. You should start your own soul thread , brother. FZ's music is obviously not for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:30 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Of course it is.

I can appreciate the fact that you enjoy fingerstyle more than slap. And indeed, Jamerson is the Godfather of soul on the bass. Keep It Greasy doesn't have any soul. It's just an opportunity to show everyone that Frank's band can play in 19/16 and 21/16. Why did he keep it straight 4/4 time for every live version? Although I will say that if Frank didn't like the slap, he'd tell Arthur to cut it out. And to me, the most blasphemous thing of all was retracking the bass to No No No using slap. WTF is that all about!?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:42 am 

A very popularly infamous slap bass was in the 1988 version of Another Brick in The Wall, p2 by David's version of Pink Floyd that can be heard on the Delicate Sound of Thunder album...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKWSKmAm8FE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:13 am 

This is quite a good example:

Marcus Miller playing Teen Town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qji84EgLEio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:05 pm 

coevad wrote:
We thought you didn't listen to tribute bands.

I've checked out Dweezil. That's about it. Maybe 5 minutes of some other bullshit. Still, I don't even need to listen to ZPZ to know that the bass player is not expressing himself in that context. He's a slave to the music, he's not creating the music. He's replaying it.

coevad wrote:
You should start your own soul thread , brother. FZ's music is obviously not for you.

Why? Because I don't like Keep It Greasy? His music has a lot to offer me. Soul is only a small part of it, brother. No need to start a thread.

I think it should be pointed out in this thread that anyone playing bass with ZPZ can't possibly be assessed as a bass player in that context. He's simply a clone. How can I respond to his playing when he's not actually doing anything? Of course he hits all the right notes! How hard do you think it is to play the same thing night after night once you have learned it? It's like sleep walking.

I could rewrite Shakespeare word for word but no one would call me a brilliant writer.

If you bass players keep playing in tribute bands you are going to completely submerge your own personality. Ultimately, you won't even be a musician anymore. You'll be a xerox.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:35 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

I thought you didn't like fusion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:20 am 

KUIII wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I thought you didn't like fusion.

I don't dislike all of it. Most of it. I bought Heavy Weather because of Teen Town and Birdland, and discovered that the rest of it is really boring. I like a little Dave Brubeck and early Ramsay Lewis (if that can be considered fusion).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:41 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I bought Heavy Weather because of Teen Town and Birdland, and discovered that the rest of it is really boring. I like a little Dave Brubeck and early Ramsay Lewis (if that can be considered fusion).

Fuck, dude. Heavy Weather is one of the worst WR albums. Check out their first 4 albums. 1971-1974

This track say's it all.....

http://youtu.be/oQSW4srnYM0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:44 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
I bought Heavy Weather because of Teen Town and Birdland, and discovered that the rest of it is really boring. I like a little Dave Brubeck and early Ramsay Lewis (if that can be considered fusion).

Fuck, dude. Heavy Weather is one of the worst WR albums. Check out their first 4 albums. 1971-1974

No thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:17 am 

Oh snap!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:13 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I kind of figured you would not be interested. I took a chance. For some reason that song is incredibly beautiful to me. And that particular WR line up was very democratic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:56 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I kind of figured you would not be interested. I took a chance. For some reason that song is incredibly beautiful to me. And that particular WR line up was very democratic.

Okay, I listened, just for you. It's nice and all, but it's just not my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:26 pm 

That's generous Cal. It sounds to me either like an intro that went on for 6 minutes and they forgot to start the song (as in Led Zeppelin "Where's that confounded bridge?") or a fadeout where they all fell in a trance and forgot to stop. Check out the fadeout of FZ's Blessed Relief for example, which is a coda to a very skilfully composed piece of music.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:57 am 

It is only a more abstract kind of music, not the structured things some brains crave for...