Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Balint is not stupid
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:38 am 

And I never meant to say so.

But if he or anyone else assumes that people like The Yellow Shark primarily because Frank Zappa (an authority) praised the musicianship of the Ensemble Modern or as an emotional response to the sickness and death of Zappa, and not because they actually enjoy the music - I think that's stupid and/or condescending.

Please go on discussing Zappa's music elsewhere. Remember to stay on topic!

Post subject: Re: Balint is not stupid
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:41 am 

Jeeezis, a thread on me... :-D... Hey mister, you can't get loose from the fact that somebody doesn't agree with you?.. :-)
DC Boogie wrote:
(Balint is not stupid) And I never meant to say so.

Oh, thanks, really - though but of course you did say so:
"You're either stupid or stupidly condescending the way you keep harping on this."
DC Boogie wrote:
But if he or anyone else assumes that people like The Yellow Shark primarily because Frank Zappa (an authority) praised the musicianship of the Ensemble Modern or as an emotional response to the sickness and death of Zappa, and not because they actually enjoy the music - I think that's stupid and/or condescending.

Agreed - and of course I did not say that (as I repeat it for the second time now) - NOT primarily :-) Please relax.
DC Boogie wrote:
Please go on discussing Zappa's music elsewhere.

Err.. because?... Are you the webmaster here?... - Please go discussing my mental state elsewhere.. ;-), and:
DC Boogie wrote:
Remember to stay on topic!

JUST what I wanted to say, Mister Funny. ;-) Please, not about ME, but about music, here... Deep breath... relax...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:51 am 

Read the LSO thread more carefully and you should understand why this had to be a separate topic. I'm more than willing to let it sink.

Edit 1: I didn't want to bump the thread, but still have some quoting to do, so here it goes.

Edit 2: Balint on The Yellow Shark, from the LSO thread --

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:23 am: LSO also became one of my favorites - but why Yellow Shark? I'm curious. I have written it somewhere else: to me Yellow Shark is simply no good, not the best performances, etc etc. I'm curious about what you see in that album.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:26 pm: The Yellow Shark has too much "mistakes" for me: the boring sound and spirit of the drums, the "trying to be funny" recitative parts (I simply cannot get used to them, I dont like them: the voices), the tunes thet have much better versions elsewhere (Bebop, Magnesium, G-Spot - the extremely monotonous drum in the latter one...). [...] Yellow Shark to me at the moment is a "best of" tribute to the Master, with some not-so-funny jokes and performances of old pieces that had better versions before. There are excellent moments, too (Valdez, Exercise, Whitey, etc.), but the whole thing is not at all equally good (that's why Amnerica was omitted).

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:33 am: I might be wrong, but I have a feeling that in this discussion (LSO versus Yellow Shark) emotions play (t99) much role, and the things we KNOW about these recordings: FZ reportedly was not satisfied with LSO, while Yellow shark will always be remebered as his "last work", and we'll always remember him speaking about EM's excellent musicians.

My questions: do we HEAR that? I, personally: not. I hear excellent music by LSO, beautiful cooperations bertween instruments, a coherent, strong album (mostly vol 1., but vol 2., also), the whole album sounds soft, nice - as a whole. ("Bad" or lazy musicians. I'm curious where those mistakes are (really curious), I've never heard any).

On Yellow Shark I hear lots of mistakes, uncertanities - where are the "world class musicians"? To my ears ALL of the older tunes are better in any earlier incarnations. Now honestly: can you listen to Girl In the Magnesium Dress after the Synclavier version? On YS it simply doesn't work. Bebop Tango? "Serious musicians" try to folow some funny thing written on paper. Etc. I'v mentioned already earlier the not-so-interesting percussion lines.

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:48 pm: [Outrage at Valdez is] a great one - I remember FZ saying somewhere Yellow Shark to be a double CD - I wonder what would have been the material for a longer edition?

Edit 3: From the quotes above it's clear to me that while balint is obviously not stupid, he has a tendency to harp on the same theme over an extended period without much development. My infamous WTF/are you stupid? comment was a response to the post from February the 6th, where he revived the LSO vs. TYS quality discussion which I had thought was a dead horse several weeks earlier.

Edit 4: Now let the thread sink into oblivion, if you will.

Last edited by DC Boogie on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:57 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
I'm more than willing to let it sink.

Sooo.. for this reason you came up with this again AND opened a new thread (in "Zappa albums"! :-) ). Great idea! :-) (BTW, do you all know Pro Brass Band? Made some nice FZ covers, just listenning to it)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:18 am 

Wait a minute! How well do we know Balint or anybody isn't stupid? We could all be stupid! And maybe even a little ugly on the side.....

Last edited by calvin2hikers on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:50 am 

he just smells funny.