Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:23 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Who is buying all the new 2012 FZ releases?

The people who have me on their Christmas List.

Some relatives demand Christmas Lists and being relatives, we must try to accomodate. Ultimately, I'd rather have someone pick out a gift without suggestions, but that not being the case, I might as well ask for FZ discs.

If someone asks me for a list like that, I'd also wish for a lot of Zappa records.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:14 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Some relatives demand Christmas Lists and being relatives, we must try to accomodate. Ultimately, I'd rather have someone pick out a gift without suggestions...

In that case, it's going to be tough to decide which one to get you:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:53 pm 

Just pre ordered the next 20

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:33 pm 

Hey Everyone- Best Buy also is carrying these, and their prices are good as well. I think you can get free shipping if the store you go to doesn't have it in stock. They've been bringing them all in and will probably carry the best sellers after Christmas, so get them while they're hot!

I noticed some different mixes on Thing Fish...

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:33 am 

I did not not know the answer to this question until the announcement came that Läther will be one of the UME releases. I'm content with the one I have and will not be buying the new one .. unless I'm missing something ... ?? ... so, no, I will not be buying all of them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:02 am 

I bought all of the analog remasters and didn't regret one of them. I have no plans to buy any of the others just for completeness or differences in packaging to the older issues.

Th.

P.S.: And if the question covers those, too: I won't buy Understanding America and have no hurry to get Road Tapes, Finer Moments, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:21 am 

Thinman wrote:
I bought all of the analog remasters and didn't regret one of them. I have no plans to buy any of the others just for completeness or differences in packaging to the older issues.

Th.

P.S.: And if the question covers those, too: I won't buy Understanding America and have no hurry to get Road Tapes, Finer Moments, etc.

My thoughts exactly, Twiggy! Bassists unite!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:34 am 

I'll probably buy al of them other then Yelllow Shark and Lost Episodes. The packaging on those two are too pretty. the rest though I'll buy if they are cheap. I prefer the slim cases to the bulky doubles that many of the original run of the 2 disc sets had.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:42 am 

Box of Sound #75: Zappa 2012 Remasters Plus
*cue it up @4 min mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6rt5WeXcnM

There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
With her hand in the box
When she's on her knees

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:47 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Box of Sound #75: Zappa 2012 Remasters Plus
*cue it up @4 min mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6rt5WeXcnM

That's unwatchable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:20 am 

just when I was half way getting all the ryko releases they re-released them...

I still need for example apostrophe and overnite sentastion :|

edit: and joes garage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:58 pm 

I've been snatching them up like they're going out of style. The HMV in downtown Montreal has all the albums at $10, including the double-CDs.

I'm also lucky in that I had never really bought many of his albums. I only got into Zappa in the early 2000s, and had read so much about the terrible CD masters that I just downloaded vinyl rips. Now that these masters are out, I'm accepting my fate on the non-remastered titles and just snatching up all the 2012 reissues! I have about 35 of them so far.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:32 pm 

Here's what I've re-bought so far:

Burnt Weeny Sandwich
Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Hot Rats
Chunga's Revenge
Waka Jawaka
One Size Fits All
Sleep Dirt
Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar

any other noticeably new & improved versions I need?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:11 pm 

Okay, I ended up buying the new Läther because I like the new format. Plus it stacks uniformly on the shelf with all the others and discs don't randomly fall out of it the way they did when you picked up the Ryko one. None the less, other than Läther and Finer Moments I haven't rushed to buy any of the other ten from the final batch. The Ryko ones in this case are fine by me.

Unless someone has a startling reason why the UME ones are way better??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:09 am 

Star Thrower wrote:
Here's what I've re-bought so far:

Burnt Weeny Sandwich
Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Hot Rats
Chunga's Revenge
Waka Jawaka
One Size Fits All
Sleep Dirt
Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar

any other noticeably new & improved versions I need?

Zoot Allures, without doubt.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:16 am 

I've read conflicting reports on Zoot. Some listeners say the new one sounds compressed. It's not an album I listen to very often.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:16 am 

Star Thrower wrote:
I've read conflicting reports on Zoot. Some listeners say the new one sounds compressed. It's not an album I listen to very often.

It's not NEARLY as compressed as the Ryko version.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:53 pm 

Read the info at the following website:

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/2012hotpoop.html

The newer versions I've heard, (even the ones that the above site says to get) don't make it worth it for my taste....Gail won't be getting any more $$ from me until she starts releasing something new.... There's a shitload of stuff sitting in the vault, and she keeps giving us OLD stuff...I'm tired of her!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:14 pm 

Jaminbenb wrote:

The newer versions I've heard, (even the ones that the above site says to get) don't make it worth it for my taste....Gail won't be getting any more $$ from me until she starts releasing something new.... There's a shitload of stuff sitting in the vault, and she keeps giving us OLD stuff...I'm tired of her!

Hey, thanks for that link, I was on here specifically looking for it JUST now. And you're in Hershey!? I live in Boiling Springs.

Haven't purchased any of the reissues at all yet... poor college student, but over the past few years I've slowly been buying ALL of the posthumous releases.

Anyways, the reason I was looking for this page was to check out the Fillmore reissue... saw it at Best Buy tonight for $10 and almost bought it. One of the few I still need from the 70s. And I see it is one of the few reissues that truly is worth buying, doubly so since I don't own it at all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:03 am 

scabdates wrote:
Jaminbenb wrote:

Hey, thanks for that link, I was on here specifically looking for it JUST now. And you're in Hershey!? I live in Boiling Springs.

Haven't purchased any of the reissues at all yet... poor college student, but over the past few years I've slowly been buying ALL of the posthumous releases.

Anyways, the reason I was looking for this page was to check out the Fillmore reissue... saw it at Best Buy tonight for $10 and almost bought it. One of the few I still need from the 70s. And I see it is one of the few reissues that truly is worth buying, doubly so since I don't own it at all.

MY rule of thumb is, if I don't have it, buy the latest release, unless you read otherwise. (But I started buying Zappa CD's back when the format first came out, and have pretty much had everything within 10 days of it's original CD release)

The list I linked, from my best interpretation, is that a few have been taken back to their original (vinyl-mix) glory, or at least replicated to a better sound....some no modification, and others improvement over what was out there. From what I've listened to already, none of them REALLY turns me on unless they are going back and replacing Frank's propensity of re-releasing old material with newer musicians (i.e. when he replaced some drums with Chad Wackerman) and I don't have that version. But 99% of what I've heard don't improve the music THAT much. I have a collector friend that will get them no matter what, and what I've heard so far, doesn't make me want to rush out and get some...just my thing...

Boiling Springs, where are you buying your CD's around this hell hole of a musically starved area! Ever since they closed Media Play out in Colonial Park, I have to head up to the Wilkes Barre area for any legitimate CD stores (and they are disappearing)
that carry things other than new pop releases!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:14 am 

Just got a new release of Best Band. I do miss the Cal Schenkel drawing, but at least I now have the Bolero. Hotcha!

Question: how does the new YAWYI relate to the older Rykos, soundwise and in the opinion of my esteemed fellow forumers? My Rykos and my vinyl are not the top of the class sonically.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:50 am 

BBP wrote:
Just got a new release of Best Band. I do miss the Cal Schenkel drawing, but at least I now have the Bolero. Hotcha!

Question: how does the new YAWYI relate to the older Rykos, soundwise and in the opinion of my esteemed fellow forumers? My Rykos and my vinyl are not the top of the class sonically.

I've got both the '98 Ryko and the 2012 UMe and they sound pretty damn close. The only difference is the solo in Dumb All Over.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:36 am 

Jaminbenb wrote:
… But 99% of what I've heard don't improve the music THAT much. …

I don't know what you expected. Apart from some different mixes and edits here and there (and the mastering of course) it is still the same music. I mean, dispite huge differences in sound, Zoot Allures is still Zoot Allures like it was in 1976. Or do you expect Dweezil to re-record everything ;-)?

If you want different music then try releases by somebody else.

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:05 am 

Thinman wrote:
Jaminbenb wrote:

I don't know what you expected. Apart from some different mixes and edits here and there (and the mastering of course) it is still the same music. I mean, dispite huge differences in sound, Zoot Allures is still Zoot Allures like it was in 1976. Or do you expect Dweezil to re-record everything ;-)?

Th.

It is not the same music. There are pretty big differences soundwise, and music is THE sound.
Lot of remastered versions are IMO better musically. You can hear things, that were buried in reverb or "cavey" sound on Ryko versions, and it sounds less artificial. Now i can enjoy musically some albums, which I was not able to fully enjoy before.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:27 am 

brunofulax wrote:
Thinman wrote:
Jaminbenb wrote:

Th.

It is not the same music. There are pretty big differences soundwise, and music is THE sound.
Lot of remastered versions are IMO better musically. You can hear things, that were buried in reverb or "cavey" sound on Ryko versions, and it sounds less artificial. Now i can enjoy musically some albums, which I was not able to fully enjoy before.

That was what I was trying to say and obviously failed once again. Jaminbenb doesn't hear that, though, so he must be looking for something else.

Th.