Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Roxy and elsewhere
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:49 pm 

Where can I buy a the Roxy and Elsewhere DVD? I dont want to pay 1000$ to be a distributor or whatever. I just want to give the 20$ and listen to this in my home. Sorry if I am slow or anything.

Post subject: Re: Roxy and elsewhere
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:57 pm 

Probably the first place you could buy the DVD will be the Barfko-Swill website, but it has not been released yet. I believe it is in the process of being edited together.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:12 am 

Giacomelli the Younger wrote:
I believe it is in the process of being edited together.

Well, I see new religion coming :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:33 pm 

jascarver wrote:
Where can I buy a the Roxy and Elsewhere DVD? I dont want to pay 1000$ to be a distributor or whatever. I just want to give the 20$ and listen to this in my home. Sorry if I am slow or anything.
slow or anything ... seriously ¿ you didn't snap up a copy when it was released in december, on the roxy anniversary ¿ Image

wtf, dude, where ya been ¿¿ it sold out in about a day & a half, $21.95 plus free shipping, dude, all 3 roxy nights, full shows with the majority in excellent quality audio & video ... sorry, bro', you snooze, you looze

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:03 pm 

Ask Gail. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:07 am 

jascarver wrote:

The Roxy and Elsewhere DVD can only be found in the imagination of the imaginer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:17 pm 

Thanks to fast frank for this...I was also at this show and wow I got it in me head and dont need no stinkin downloads
Okay, now, I'll tell ya something...when this particular version of the Mothers came out and blasted into Tunage Mode, I was shoved down into my seat and could not function until they had finished...I take that back. I had this huge shit- eating grin on my face throughout the entire show, but that was more like an involuntary function.

This show and this band amazes me to this very day! Basically, it was the Roxy line-up; FZ, Tom Fowler, Nappy Brock, George Duke, Ruth Underwood (who was fucking awesome!), Chester Thompson, and, I'm pretty sure, Don Preston.

This band literally roared through a setlist that was basically all the Roxy stuff, along with some oldies thrown in for good measure. This band was SO good and had SO much fun performing that trying to pin down any particular highlights would be silly! Ruth Underwood looked as though she was having the best time...in fact, she gave me the impression that the more complex the part, the more fun it was, and she wore that big toothy grin of hers throughout the entire show. FZ even joined her on percussion during one tune and I think he must have caught the grinning thing from her cuz he was doin' it, too!

The problem with seeing a show filled with as-yet unreleased stuff is that I can never remember the names of the songs. I saw this show before Apostrophe' or Roxy were released, so rather than trying to keep track of the titles and other particulars, I just sat there with this big ol' skunk-eating-shit perma-grin on my face and left it at that!

This was probably THE best FZ concert I ever attended, although I hate making statements like that because, like each album, I tried to look at each show as an entity unto itself, judging it on it's own merits. That's probably why I cringe at those "What do you think is the WORST FZ album?" thingies. I have my favorites, sure, but I don't dislike ANY of 'em. I was never disappointed in any of the shows I went to either...but I DO have my favorites, and this one, if you tied me down and tortured me until I picked one, would be it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:04 pm 

Little_Sally wrote:
Thanks to fast frank for this...I was also at this show and wow I got it in me head and dont need no stinkin downloads
Okay, now, I'll tell ya something...when this particular version of the Mothers came out and blasted into Tunage Mode, I was shoved down into my seat and could not function until they had finished...I take that back. I had this huge shit- eating grin on my face throughout the entire show, but that was more like an involuntary function.

This show and this band amazes me to this very day! Basically, it was the Roxy line-up; FZ, Tom Fowler, Nappy Brock, George Duke, Ruth Underwood (who was fucking awesome!), Chester Thompson, and, I'm pretty sure, Don Preston.

This band literally roared through a setlist that was basically all the Roxy stuff, along with some oldies thrown in for good measure. This band was SO good and had SO much fun performing that trying to pin down any particular highlights would be silly! Ruth Underwood looked as though she was having the best time...in fact, she gave me the impression that the more complex the part, the more fun it was, and she wore that big toothy grin of hers throughout the entire show. FZ even joined her on percussion during one tune and I think he must have caught the grinning thing from her cuz he was doin' it, too!

The problem with seeing a show filled with as-yet unreleased stuff is that I can never remember the names of the songs. I saw this show before Apostrophe' or Roxy were released, so rather than trying to keep track of the titles and other particulars, I just sat there with this big ol' skunk-eating-shit perma-grin on my face and left it at that!

This was probably THE best FZ concert I ever attended, although I hate making statements like that because, like each album, I tried to look at each show as an entity unto itself, judging it on it's own merits. That's probably why I cringe at those "What do you think is the WORST FZ album?" thingies. I have my favorites, sure, but I don't dislike ANY of 'em. I was never disappointed in any of the shows I went to either...but I DO have my favorites, and this one, if you tied me down and tortured me until I picked one, would be it!

Great story! Thanks for sharing! :twisted:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:52 am 

It's taken so long for this to come out that I lost complete interest in both the film and its music.