Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:38 pm 

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... d-premiere

"I believe in my heart of hearts that someone on the board (of the L.A. Philharmonic) said it's about time", Zappa's widow Gail Zappa tells Billboard

The complete orchestral version of Frank Zappa's "200 Motels" will receive its world premiere on Oct. 23 at Walt Disney Concert Hall as the Los Angeles Philharmonic begins its 10th anniversary season in the venue. Conductor laureate Esa-Pekka Salonen will conduct.

Written mostly in motel rooms while Zappa and the Mothers of Invention were on tour, portions of the piece received a premiere in May 1970 at UCLA's Royce Hall with Zubin Mehta conducting the L.A. Philharmonic. Portions of the score were used in Zappa's film of the same name.

The Zappa family and its representatives have had ongoing conversations with the L.A. Philharmonic about presenting Zappa's orchestral music, which is heard far more often in Europe than in the are he lived his entire life, Southern California.

"I believe in my heart of hearts that someone on the board (of the Philharmonic) said it's about time," Zappa's widow Gail Zappa told Billboard. "This music was written before our children were even conceived and they have never had a chance to hear his music in a proper concert hall."

L.A. Philharmonic president and CEO Deborah Borda said "a lack of resources and imagination have kept it from getting to the concert hall. Esa-Pekka said the first person to call and welcome him (in 1992) was Frank Zappa. Beyond any Esa-Pekka connection, it's our connection to L.A." Zappa died in 1993.

An abridged version was premiered in Holland in 2000 under the title "200 Motels: The 13 Suites." It is written for a rock band with a full orchestra, chorale and 15 soloists. Gail Zappa says they have adapted the score to emphasize the orchestral elements and that the current musicians in symphonies are better equipped to play her husband's music than the musicians of four decades ago.

"Musicians now are very familiar with the composers of their time, which I am glad about," she said. "Frank wrote music that challenges your playing ability and I think musicians embrace that."

Zappa was aware of how challenging the music was and in the score he included came directions to focus on soloists during particular segments. Those video elements will be part of the concert as well.

After the L.A. premiere, BBC Concert Orchestra will perform "200 Motels" on Oct. 29 at the Royal Festival Hall with Jurjen Hempel conducting.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:00 am 

Is there a CD in this? Hope so! Thanks db.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:24 am 

This could be seen as bad planning on some level. Will the LAPO one lead to an album? Will the BBCCO one lead to an album? Will their sales conflict? For over forty years we get nothing that leads to a recorded release and now there are going to be two independent full productions within a week of each other?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:54 am 

polydigm wrote:
.....For over forty years we get nothing that leads to a recorded release and now there are going to be two independent full productions within a week of each other?

FYI,

"Han-Min-Noon-Toon Han-Toon-Tan..." Dental Hygiene Dilemma Excerpt, Frank Zappa's 200 Motels

The voice of my Good Conscience has me simply wanting to make a due noted correction on Polidigm's error.

Ensemble Modern Plays Frank Zappa: Greggery Peccary & Other Persuasions
CD RCA Records 82876 56061 2 RCA Red Seal.

The above tittle most certainly contains an orchestral performance from Frank Zappa's 200 Motels. "Dental Hygiene Dilemma" is the 11th and final selection for the CD. For the concerts Peaches En Regalia was performed as a surprise encore. The surprise encores did not end at the concert hall.

What I mean by surprise is two-part and is as follows.

In the first part, The Concert Program, the program that was handed out in the concert halls did not include Peaches En Regalia but the title was performed as an encore.

In the second part, On The CD "Dental Hygiene Dilemma" is a surprise encore of sorts. While not physically listed on the original release song listings, it plays as a surprise CD encore after the final listed song "The Adventures Of Greggery Peccary".

2013 looks very interesting indeed.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:44 am 

Hmmm... the forum goes down and then the next day Trendy is back.... crap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:19 pm 

It's almost too astounding to be a coincidence.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:26 pm 

There's no way I would see this. The music and the movie both suck. Some of the worst things FZ did.

(Not an actual opinion: Negative vibes to keep the Monger away)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:02 pm 

Oh fucking jesus fuck, polydigm made a fucking error. Let's hit it with a fucking sledgehammer. Oh dear, I didn't think that a recorded performance of "Does this life look interesting to you?" could somehow compare with or compensate for two, yes two, not just one, entire, completely separate productions of the complete 200 Motels. Fuck me, how could I be so fucking retarded?

But, unlike Trendomatic, I know that it's "Does this life look interesting to you?" and not "Dental Hygene Dilemma" ... whoopsies ...

And Cal, you know that won't keep him away, spewing vast oceans of the most smelly vomit known to man in response to negativity is the Trendturder's raison d'être.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:18 pm 

I can't wait. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:28 am 

Has anybody heard if ZPZ will be doing something as well or is it to early to tell.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:30 am 

Fingthish wrote:
Has anybody heard if ZPZ will be doing something as well or is it to early to tell.

can that I just read the other thread for 31 10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:39 am 

polydigm wrote:
Oh fucking jesus fuck, polydigm made a fucking error. Let's hit it with a fucking sledgehammer. Oh dear, I didn't think that a recorded performance of "Does this life look interesting to you?" could somehow compare with or compensate for two, yes two, not just one, entire, completely separate productions of the complete 200 Motels. Fuck me, how could I be so fucking retarded?

I know that it's "Does this life look interesting to you?" and not "Dental Hygene Dilemma" ... whoopsies ...

No one is hitting your error with a sledgehammer, I digress from this perception and get back to the regularly scheduled program.

While Polidigm does make a noteable remark to "Does This Kind Of Life Look Interesting To You" . The composer's work goes beyond one arrangement or portion there-of in a film. To understand the reasoning for my referencing, Ensemble Modern's performance titled "The Dental Hygiene Dilemma", it would help to get inside one of the Ensemble Modern elevators. You know the ones with a Pig With Wings, a Yellow Shark, a Peach, a Motor, a pair of Boxing Gloves, a Clock, a Lower Denture, some Daisy's, some open and closed Oversized Orchestral String Cases, and but also, some Empty Elevators that provide thoughts for the technological realm.

In regards to the technological realm, there was a time before skyscrapers and elevators. Long before the days of the Synclavier and Electricity, surely those houses of wood had a limited dimension, but in these modern times, where the clock has moved forward, among a portion of you I tend to proclaim, the composer was forever working on things, where at times the things lived on a piece of paper, inside old floppy disks that at one time lived in a machine, a studio version or made it to the live concert hall. Just maybe Dental Hygiene Dilemma was the score that Ensemble Modern worked from. There are so many places the composers work lives and it is in the Ensemble Modern Amazon offering that it is currently called The Dental Hygiene Dilemma. Error? or is it what it was called in the score that EM worked from?

So as it was, Ali N. Askin came up with a vary of arrangements from FZs archives. While the liner notes of the CD do not make specific mention of the included work from 200 Motels, in places Dental Hygiene Dilemma is associated with the 3:33 arrangement that follows The Adventures Of Greggery Peccary. For those that keep track of time, the "Does this life look interesting to you?" section that is included in the Dental Hygiene Dilemma cartoon in the film 200 Motels runs just under 3 minutes.

Pointedly the Elevator Of Thought should have us realizing that for forty years...., where Polidigm stated NOTHING..., well that is preposterous, the elevator never stopped on that floor called NOTHING. The composers work lives in a variety of contexts and moved forward after the film. The download at Amazon is currently calling that section from 200 Motels The Dental Hygiene Dilemma. It just might be that the composer's score did not segregate the Does this life look interesting to you? segment from Dental Hygiene Dilemma, it's as if it is part of a suite that has some flexibility.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dental-Hygien ... B0013AF1EG

EDIT NOTE : "Naval Aviation In Art - First Suggested itself in 200 Motels...." - Gail Zappa Halloween, 2003 excerpt from "And now for something completely different.... than The Yellow Shark. Taken from liner notes included in Ensemble Modern Plays Frank Zappa Greggery Peccary & Other Persuasion.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:19 am 

Fingthish wrote:

Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa have performed a number of works from Frank Zappa's 200 Motels. Most recently DZPZ have been performing Strictly Genteel. Tune into Dweezil Zappa World for more info on his bands performances.

While the Topic Heading orchestral performances are certainly rooted in Premiere, let it be known that some of the composers works that were in the score of 200 Motels have received hallmark live performances since the film was released.

Certainly 2013 is turning out to be a joyous year.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:27 am 

"While Frank assembled some pretty good musicians over the years of his far too brief time of recording there is no doubt that the Ensemble Modern is the finest bunch of humans that have ever assembled in a Psuedo Wagon Train Formation."

"Dweezil is not the first to pull of Franks music on Guitar with perfection in a Chops sense but in all honesty as fine as Dweezils CHOPS are his performance goes way beyound CHOPS.

The performance of the FZ Medley goes way beyound 100% perfection of NOTES & CHOPS. "

"Dweezil has split the Atom here and while he very much has the same linear DNA as in the family sense he has put the DNA of what defines a Frank Zappa performance in the FZ Medley. "

"My complaint is that far too many fans have not had the opportunity to have a higher understanding."

"I must admit it is fun writing here but at times many of the minds have little to no clue as to what the deal is."

"I have never claimed to be any authority figure and do not attempt or have interest in gaining such statture."

"Truthfully just because I have been digesting everything Zappa for close to 40 years does not make me an authority figure."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:32 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
Fingthish wrote:

Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa have performed a number of works from Frank Zappa's 200 Motels. Most recently DZPZ have been performing Strictly Genteel. Tune into Dweezil Zappa World for more info on his bands performances.

While the Topic Heading orchestral performances are certainly rooted in Premiere, let it be known that some of the composers works that were in the score of 200 Motels have received hallmark live performances since the film was released.

Hi, I'm Trendy, I'll be your Cruise Director!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:42 am 

Thank you. Just give me a shot of norovirus right now and sail away without me. Please?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:53 am 

That boy needs a smack in the chops.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:58 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Hi, I'm Trendy, I'll be your Cruise Director!
Image[/quote]

How dare you compare the great and friendly Cruise Director Julie McCoy with that....that.....ooh, I'm so mad right now!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:45 pm 

Anyway, sorry to fill this thread with this other nonsense, this should be about the performance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:00 pm 

http://www.laphil.com/tickets/10th-anni ... 2013-10-23
No tickets on sale yet for the LA premiere. WDCH looks like a great venue. Herbie Hancock is sold out already.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:45 pm 

I was planning a trip to NY to see Eugene Chadbourne at the end of October. But, since that venue doesn't sell tickets in advance I thought I'd switch gears and go to LA for 200 Motels instead! So, I called up the venue and they said that since that is part of the next Program Season, it won't go on sale until August... drag. Hard to plan vacations... :x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Anyway, sorry to fill this thread with this other nonsense, this should be about the performance.
It's quite a performance. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:36 pm 

I had seen the 200 Motels performances in Amsterdam in 2000. IMO, it was by far the best thing that happenend to Frank's Music after 1993.

Anyway I think, that 200 Motels was one of the best things he ever did. Many people have problems with the sound quality of the album. I don't. The "sounddesign" of the album is very fitting to the concept of the whole work. And I think the CD reissue sounds good and I would prefer that over the vinyl record.

Nevertheless it is a fantastic experience to have the chance to be in the same room with an orchestra that plays this music.

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:40 am 

"I'm stealing the towels" - the hidden track after Greggery Peccary on the Ensemble Modern Persuasions cd is also very good. I copied it onto the blank tape after Bogus Pomp on the Orchestral Favorites cassette - a good segue. David Moss' manic vocal style works much better on the hidden track than on Greggery Peccary, where he is so obviously overacting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:06 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:
"I'm stealing the towels" - the hidden track after Greggery Peccary on the Ensemble Modern Persuasions cd is also very good. I copied it onto the blank tape after Bogus Pomp on the Orchestral Favorites cassette - a good segue. David Moss' manic vocal style works much better on the hidden track than on Greggery Peccary, where he is so obviously overacting.

Actually, the hidden track from the Ensemble Modern Plays Frank Zappa CD, Greggery Peccary & Other Persuasions, is Does This Kind Of Life Look Interesting To You?...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next