Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:16 pm 

Thinman wrote:

It is not the same music. There are pretty big differences soundwise, and music is THE sound.
Lot of remastered versions are IMO better musically. You can hear things, that were buried in reverb or "cavey" sound on Ryko versions, and it sounds less artificial. Now i can enjoy musically some albums, which I was not able to fully enjoy before.

That was what I was trying to say and obviously failed once again. Jaminbenb doesn't hear that, though, so he must be looking for something else.

Th.[/quote]

No...you've obviously mis-understood my comments....listening to most of them, I feel that there is no reason for me to invest more $$ into music that I already have, enjoy, and continue to listen to. (and in some cases, TWICE)

Yeah, I get it in some cases there are things that are better discerned, or updated parts removed for the sake of original parts (and then again, didn't they do that with the LAST batch of CD's after the original Rykos?) OR a mix re-done so you can hear something that wasn't discernible on a prior release...How many times do I need to buy these albums? And next year, they'll get us to buy more because someone figured out how to put them in HD and surround!

I like my original Ryko's and my in a few cases, re-released Ryko's thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:55 pm 

For weeks I have been trying to A/B the Absolutely Free first Issue Ryko CD with the 2012 UMe CD whenever I can do track by track disc swaps and wait for the HD DVD player to set up.

First, the obvious, the 2012 CD bass is much more prominent and clear throughout. Second, there seems to be some distortion on some of the tenor saxophone squeals on Invocation... and America Drinks on the Ryko but not on the UMe. Obviously there are some track start point errors on the Ryko that are fixed on the UMe. Next, it takes some serious listening to notice the difference between the digital reverb on the Ryko that is not on the UMe. It is most noticeable on the cymbal crashes on America Drinks (digital reverb on top of analog reverb), but does cover up some "sins" on America Drinks And Goes Home: has anyone else noticed the razor blade edits on the UMe version of ADAGH? The harmony vocals on all tracks are clearer on the UMe disc. And of course, there is the fake stereo version of Big Leg Emma on the Ryko with the tambourine in the right speaker, but I seem to notice that the drums swing to the left speaker after the Em..Em..Em..Em..Em..Em..Em..Em..Em...Emma on the mono UMe version as well. I will have to verify this with headphones and the laptop next.

Anyway, I had a harder time comparing the Two AF disks, than the Sheik Yerbouti first Ryko and 2012 UMe. Even without the missing last minutes of You're So Cute, the sound difference between these two SY CDs were drastic. I have only traded in the Ryko SY (towards 2012 OSFA, HR, and '). I'm having a harder time letting go of the Ryko AF.

Yeah, I'm still slowly buying the 2012s but I still have to finish the AF A/B, compare 2012 OSFA to the Ryko Au CD, and 2012 ' to the second issue Ryko CD (maybe the surreptitious Au remaster, (listen for the extra bar in DETYS, right?) but still the quad fold down) and revisit my two HR CDs (I'll keep both). Then I'll open my new CR and ONS 2012 CDs (and look for more).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:29 pm 

I'll have to buy Zoot because my original Ryko was faulty and sounded pretty crappy
(Did anyone else have the start index point of Ms. Pinky halfway through the track?)
I'm hoping that Live in New York is fixed 'cos I want to hear Black Page No. 2 without the reverb
I don't think I'll upgrade the two Au20 discs but I'll get some of the others
It's still all in 16 bit anyway so I can't get too excited

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:42 pm 

I'm glad I waited I guess, if there are going to be HD releases happening sometime later.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:09 pm 

cal2h wrote:
I'm glad I waited I guess, if there are going to be HD releases happening sometime later.
not even mothermania ¿

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:28 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
cal2h wrote:
not even mothermania ¿

If you told me to get it, I probably would.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:55 pm 

your call; it was my last expansion slot on the cd shelf, had to fill it

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:24 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

Gosh, well, I'll think about it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:31 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
slime.oofytv.set wrote:

Gosh, well, I'll think about it.

I was glad I picked it up. Was nice to hear the different variations of these tracks, but I'm a sucker for variations on songs I have loved for lengthy periods.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:59 am 

Hey! I've basically bought all the 2012 reissues and very happy with the albums! Some of the albums I didn't purchase were The Man From Utopia & The Perfect Stranger, I was wondering are they substantial in terms of quality or should I skip them???