Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:02 am 

I checked this morning and it's not available on the website. Does this mean a release through UMe?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:13 am 

tiboudre wrote:
I checked this morning and it's not available on the website. Does this mean a release through UMe?

It has not been announced as such.

It's possible, but unlikely.

It's more likely that it is backordered and been temporarily removed from the site. Last month, Hammersmith Odeon and Philly '76 were missing for a few days. It happens from time to time.

I think the only release that hasn't reappeared is Quaudiophiliac.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:32 am 

dlokazip wrote:
Last month, Hammersmith Odeon and Philly '76 were missing for a few days. It happens from time to time.

Philly '76 must be a big seller since it has disappeared more than once. Buffalo has also disappeared at least once.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:51 am 

pbuzby wrote:

Philly '76 must be a big seller since it has disappeared more than once.

It should be. It's awesome! The presence of Bianca and Eddie Jobson make the performance unique.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:34 pm 

dlokazip wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

Philly '76 must be a big seller since it has disappeared more than once.

It should be. It's awesome! The presence of Bianca and Eddie Jobson make the performance unique.

Yes, it was a one off period of FZ's music. I'm not a big fan though, Bianca ruins it completely for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:19 pm 

dlokazip wrote:
I think the only release that hasn't reappeared is Quaudiophiliac.

and this is a problem! I want it very badly.

I also noticed Buffalo disappearing earlier this year. Still need that one as well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:50 pm 

CPIII is back: http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/ ... &pc=ZPCD11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:09 pm 

See? They run out. They make more. No worries.

CPIII is Frank's swan song. No way Gail lets it disappear for long.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 am 

This album is "currently not available" ... do you think it's going to be re-released in some ways?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 am 

Sterbus wrote:
This album is "currently not available" ... do you think it's going to be re-released in some ways?

I hope so, but more for Philly '76 since that's the one I'm missing along with the DVDs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:14 pm 

There was a period of years where you couldn't find a legitimate copy of Lumpy Gravy to save your soul. This must have been really galling to Frank, who said on more than one occasion that Lumpy Gravy was his favorite of all his albums.

Now, to my knowledge, all of his albums are available in some format. Some may be out of stock occasionally, but that's just temporary.

All things considered, it's not a bad situation. And Gail deserves all the credit for herding the cats...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:01 pm 

OZ is now sold out too. Hope we get some new pressings!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:54 am 

I've noticed used copies of this release cropping up quite a bit on Ebay and Discogs, for seemingly fair-good prices, lately. Perhaps people after copies could consider such options (at least if outside US)? History would dictate it'll soon be back available at Barfko, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:22 pm 

CPIII and OZ are back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:52 am 

Halloween too. I'm waiting for Philly to come back so I can grab it and Halloween since they're the only one's I'm missing besides quad. If the shipping wasn't such an ass reamer I'd by Halloween now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:42 am 

I think I'll buy a new Civilization Phase III cause my copy is too ruined... (yes, I know you were alla waiting to know this) :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:54 pm 

Just wondering whether new copies of Civilization are Digipac or jewel case?
Same question regarding Yellow Shark. Surely must cost more to do extra runs of the Digipac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:54 am 

mutronboy wrote:
Just wondering whether new copies of Civilization are Digipac or jewel case?
Same question regarding Yellow Shark. Surely must cost more to do extra runs of the Digipac

The Yellow Shark is just a standard digipack (like the new beatles) don't know about CPIII

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:56 am 

G&S Music in Liverpool have them, and they're back at Barfko-Swill --

http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=971&pc=ZPCD11

http://www.gandsmusic.com/UMRK.htm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:43 am 

I'm pretty happy with Hammersmith Odeon. I'd be awfully pissed if I wasn't because it cost me 58 dollars. I don't get the urge to listen to OZ very often. The performances are far from definitive, and FZ was in a kind of goofy mood. He almost sounds like he had a couple glasses of wine before he hit the stage.

I don't like what I've heard from Philly '76. Eddie Jobson is a great keyboard player, but he does nothing for me as a violinist. Bianca doesn't thrill me either.

I bought Phase III way back when from Barfko. A huge leap from Jazz From Hell, but a very dark album.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:59 am 

Philly, Halloween and Civ are all back up in the store. So the only missing piece of the catalog is Quad.

The big news though is they have changed the international shipping! I ordered Philly and Halloween, and instead of the $50 Fast international, I had a $13 and $22 option. This is much more inline with other suppliers. I went with the $22, I'm curious if I will have to pay duty. Barfko is the only company I have ordered from in the states that I had to pay the delivery guy money for duty.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:00 am 

Ruz-El wrote:
Philly, Halloween and Civ are all back up in the store. So the only missing piece of the catalog is Quad.

The big news though is they have changed the international shipping! I ordered Philly and Halloween, and instead of the $50 Fast international, I had a $13 and $22 option. This is much more inline with other suppliers. I went with the $22, I'm curious if I will have to pay duty. Barfko is the only company I have ordered from in the states that I had to pay the delivery guy money for duty.

That's good to hear, even though it's still too high.

However, they still haven't reduced their International Standard shipping rate of $12.70 yet... :roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
There was a period of years where you couldn't find a legitimate copy of Lumpy Gravy to save your soul. This must have been really galling to Frank, who said on more than one occasion that Lumpy Gravy was his favorite of all his albums.

Now, to my knowledge, all of his albums are available in some format. Some may be out of stock occasionally, but that's just temporary.

All things considered, it's not a bad situation. And Gail deserves all the credit for herding the cats...

There was a point, maybe about 1984-86 where you couldn't get ANYTHING ANYWHERE...except maybe the albums as the "Old Masters" were released. I remember getting a CD player JUST to get the Zappa that was starting to trickle out on that new fangled CD format....probably mid 80's. I used to look high and low for 8-tracks in the "cut out" bin, or albums here and there....

I remember a time where I only owned Joe's Garage (both sets) Sheik Yerbouti, LSO 1 (on cassette no less) and Studio Tan on 8-track! Tracking down Zappa at that point was tough to do! Lumpy Gravy came out on CD and that started the revolution of everything eventually being released!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:01 pm 

I think the first Zappa cd was Does Humor Belong In Music - it was a cd only import release. Had to drive to Waterbury (40 miles away) to get it then I had to purchase a cd player to listen to it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:56 pm 

Bobby wrote:
I think the first Zappa cd was Does Humor Belong In Music - it was a cd only import release. Had to drive to Waterbury (40 miles away) to get it then I had to purchase a cd player to listen to it.

If I remember correctly, Zappa didn't release that one at first...it was an import...he re-released it a few years later, remixed.

Not entirely sure, but I seem to remember something to that effect on that release. (or something was wrong at first)