Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:49 pm 

Hendrix cited Curtis Mayfield as a big influence on his guitar playing and if you listen to The Impressions you can easily hear it.

Speaking of which, I'd put Little Wing up there.
And, of course, Machine Gun from BOG. Bravo saw that live? And your face didn't melt?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:48 pm 

I found the old Band of Gypsies cd while moving recently, and today my favourite Hendrix tune is Machine Gun. Love the way he sings and plays the guitar together.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:32 pm 

This is a tough one. I'd probably say "Power Of Soul" or "I Don't Live Today", and for instrumental, I'd probably go with "Jam Back At The House" or "Midnight".

Been on a Hendrix kick lately, grabbing recent CDs/DVDs of stuff I have on old vinyl/cassette or VHS like:
Live At Berkeley CD
Winterland (2011 single disc)
In The West
Woodstock (newest double DVD)
Blue Wild Angel/Isle Of Wight DVD
West Coast Seattle Boy(single disc)

Looking forward to getting the "People, Hell, & Angels" CD this coming week. Looks like some great sought after studio work on there.

Think I'm gonna get the Dagger Records studio ones next - Hear My Music, Morning Symphonies, and Burning Desire. Already have a boot CD of Baggys Rehearsals. Some of the live ones look interesting, but how many more live versions of the "Smash Hits" do I really need?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:57 pm 

There's a version of Wind Cries Mary on Guitar Hero, that my son wanted me to hear. I really like it, from an AT&T concert apparently, does anyone know where I can get it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:00 am 

There are so many (in so short time - amazing). But the one recording that has made the longest standing (eternal) impression on me is Machine Gun from Band of Gypsies. When I listened to that in school I realized that music can be something very special.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:11 pm 

polydigm wrote:
There's a version of Wind Cries Mary on Guitar Hero, that my son wanted me to hear. I really like it, from an AT&T concert apparently, does anyone know where I can get it?

I not got clue what AT&T concert is,the version on GH is from the US release 1967 It is on cd same track list [JH are you experienced] Polydor label 1991 sounds nice that's what i got,same Mary version also on [JH the ultimate experience] cd 1992 also Polydor,and it is also on 1993 Alan Parsons [JH are you experienced] which has US and UK 1967 all the songs and some extras that ain't on neither i not heard it i remember buying the Tab Book that came out 1993 with all songs and the extras.

The Book Uses US cover.
1991 cd which has US tracklist but UK cover.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:00 pm 

Drifting
The Wind Cries Mary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:46 pm 

1967, "The Wind Cries Mary", The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Classic Rock, 14., AT&T Park (San Francisco)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_so ... World_Tour

This is the one I'm talking about. Is this version on an album?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:27 pm 

Get the Winterland box, he was really at his best, with an 11-minute Like ARolling Stone to die for. I have People Hell and Angels coming this week

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:52 am 

polydigm wrote:
1967, "The Wind Cries Mary", The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Classic Rock, 14., AT&T Park (San Francisco)

Wow man,I never thought I'd see anything about this concert again! Outta site! I went to it when I was 13.It was Candlestick Park back then and both The SF Giants and The 49er's played there.
I had to talk my folks into letting my best friends older brother "take us" to the show......and what a show it was.It was like a be-in at Candlestick.One of the first times I tripped.It was so cool.Jimi was guitar note god for a day! The feedback even had trails inside of trails.What a time it was,a time of innocenses and a time of experiences.Jimi asked the crowd if we'd ever been experienced? In SF! In 1967! The whole crowd was stunned.......like duh! Then the gigling went to laughter and there was a whole new Purple Haze over the Bay.I do remember he played a version of Hey Joe that I've never heard him play it that way again.(and no it wasn't anything I might have experimented with-that's not the case) He played that,Wind Cry's Mary,Dolly Dagger,a song I think was Machine Gun and most of what's on the first album,The Jimi Hendrix Experiment.Short for a concert these daze.I think it was about 1:40 or so.Great set for back then.I don't remember an opening group at all.Just Jimi.There was a straighter looking guy talking into the mike for 15 min.or so.Could have been a comedian,coulda' been Bill Graham.From where we were we could recognize Jimi from the clothes he wore,guitar and his afro and headband.....barely.Then he and The Stick's purple haze aura came on me like a frieght train.I'd love to see a playlist to jog my memory.At that time he would do jams with several song in the jam.Man he owned the guitar!
Not nesacceraly stoned but beautiful.~ Jimi Hendrix
In '70 he played with Buddy Miles and the Band of Gypsy's at The Oakland Collisium and he sold out two shows at 85,000 +. The Stick sat around 45,000 ( before the first big remodel) and didn't quite sell out,I was told.One of the first superstars that really deserved the name.That or shooting star...literally.Too bad he slept on his back that night.

Crap,I just reread that post and is it me or do I sound Trendyish??? Naw,can't be.I understand it!
V > Kleons! forward sheilds up Mr.Sulu! LT.Uhuru open a hailing frequency.State your purpose Kleon.

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:56 am 

polydigm wrote:

Wiki :shock: and in the link it has live wrote but not by that song 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:25 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
polydigm wrote:

Wow man,I never thought I'd see anything about this concert again! Outta site! I went to it when I was 13.It was Candlestick Park back then and both The SF Giants and The 49er's played there.
I had to talk my folks into letting my best friends older brother "take us" to the show......and what a show it was.It was like a be-in at Candlestick.One of the first times I tripped.It was so cool.Jimi was guitar note god for a day! The feedback even had trails inside of trails.What a time it was,a time of innocenses and a time of experiences.Jimi asked the crowd if we'd ever been experienced? In SF! In 1967! The whole crowd was stunned.......like duh! Then the gigling went to laughter and there was a whole new Purple Haze over the Bay.I do remember he played a version of Hey Joe that I've never heard him play it that way again.(and no it wasn't anything I might have experimented with-that's not the case) He played that,Wind Cry's Mary,Dolly Dagger,a song I think was Machine Gun and most of what's on the first album,The Jimi Hendrix Experiment.Short for a concert these daze.I think it was about 1:40 or so.Great set for back then.I don't remember an opening group at all.Just Jimi.There was a straighter looking guy talking into the mike for 15 min.or so.Could have been a comedian,coulda' been Bill Graham.From where we were we could recognize Jimi from the clothes he wore,guitar and his afro and headband.....barely.Then he and The Stick's purple haze aura came on me like a frieght train.I'd love to see a playlist to jog my memory.At that time he would do jams with several song in the jam.Man he owned the guitar!
Not nesacceraly stoned but beautiful.~ Jimi Hendrix
In '70 he played with Buddy Miles and the Band of Gypsy's at The Oakland Collisium and he sold out two shows at 85,000 +. The Stick sat around 45,000 ( before the first big remodel) and didn't quite sell out,I was told.One of the first superstars that really deserved the name.That or shooting star...literally.Too bad he slept on his back that night.

Crap,I just reread that post and is it me or do I sound Trendyish??? Naw,can't be.I understand it!
V > Kleons! forward sheilds up Mr.Sulu! LT.Uhuru open a hailing frequency.State your purpose Kleon.

Look at the Hendrix official site http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/home

The family maintains it (little sister Janie) all the stuff they sell is officfial and they have timelines about concerts, etc. I consider it my biggest mistake to not have gone to the Fillmore East Show where Band of Gypsies was recorded (I was a month shy of 16).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:58 am 

tweezers wrote:
I consider it my biggest mistake to not have gone to the Fillmore East Show where Band of Gypsies was recorded (I was a month shy of 16).

I feel it was my biggest mistake not going to Zappa's Sydney concert in '73 when I was a month shy of 16
I would've been too young for a Hendrix show, but he never came to Oz anyway heh

'Ain't No Telling' is one of my fave Hendrix tracks 'cos I dig the funky chord work. 1 minutes 50 secs of fun
Hard to pick a fave though, there's a bunch of 'em

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:39 pm 

tweezers wrote:
Look at the Hendrix official site http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/home
The family maintains it (little sister Janie) all the stuff they sell is officfial and they have timelines about concerts, etc. I consider it my biggest mistake to not have gone to the Fillmore East Show where Band of Gypsies was recorded (I was a month shy of 16).

Thanx tweeze',lots of cool stuff to look at and hear.I'm glad it's a family thing too.The record industry has made tens of millions off JH since his death.They really tryd to scew over Hendrix SR.right after his sons death.Glad to know his sis Janie is reaping the profits from her brothers music and not some faceless record label like it used to be.I see they have another Hendrix show I went to at the Beserkeley Community Theater '70.That concert was filmed and is still my favorite Hendrix concert that I attended.
Very cool link! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 pm 

The one where he burns his guitar.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:38 pm 

coevad wrote:

He only did that twice that I know of.1st time Monterey Pop Festival and then in Miami with The MOI.FZ asked for the guitar......and the rest they say is history. {-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:12 am 

I'm still not getting a definitive album location for that Wind Cries Mary version.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:02 am 

Anybody listen to the whole thing yet?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:03 am 

poly, I haven't heard the guitar hero version. but my guess, knowing there are only a handful of versions of that is that it's the one also found on the Stages sets from back in the early '90's... or the Monterrey version

Arkay, listened to it on npr, oh andlook here, so can you
I liked the somewhere here and the one called "Belly Button Window", in particular, then one of those 3rd stone versions and 'If 6 was 9'
oh, and yes, if anyone is wondering: you know you know me, you just don't know you know me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:46 am 

It's the version of Are You Experienced,the stage[map location]for TWCM on the game is where you got it wrong also :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:47 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
coevad wrote:

He only did that twice that I know of.1st time Monterey Pop Festival and then in Miami with The MOI.FZ asked for the guitar......and the rest they say is history. {-
And London First At the Astoria.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:01 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

simplex II wrote:
poly, I haven't heard the guitar hero version. but my guess, knowing there are only a handful of versions of that is that it's the one also found on the Stages sets from back in the early '90's... or the Monterrey version

Arkay, listened to it on npr, oh andlook here, so can you
I liked the somewhere here and the one called "Belly Button Window", in particular, then one of those 3rd stone versions and 'If 6 was 9'
oh, and yes, if anyone is wondering: you know you know me, you just don't know you know me

IB? I just listened to the whole CD on the NPR link.Thanx simplex who? In all it's got some great songs and some other singers on some songs.I liked it and will try and add it to my Hendrix collection,which is way to sparce.This is a damn good listen 1st time through.Good on Janie for getting it out there.Shame on her for lying about "knowing" her 1/2 brother who's 18 yrs.older who she saw only once! (can't really blame her for imbelishing the truth,people still want a connection to Jimi) But this "Everytime he was here we'd all stay up all night rapping.He had such an aura about him." was a bit too much.I was cool when I was 9,for a 9 yr.old.I didn't hang with adults and fell asleep before midnight no matter how hard I tryed to rap.Maybe Jimi gave her some cross tops so she could stay up and rap. :roll:
Other than that some great cleaned up jams and songs and experiments by Jimi with other musicians.Some nice bluesy suprises in there too! I like it. :D
Now for another listen! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:02 pm 

Listening to "People, Hell And Angels" right now. Fucking great. Some of the songs don't sound as complete as what's on "First Rays...", but it's good stuff, a great companion disc to Valleys Of Neptune & South Saturn Delta. If you buy it at Target, you get the exclusive 20 minute bonus track "Ezy Ryder/MLK Jam(Captain Coconut), which I believe is also on one of the Dagger Records studio CDs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:32 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Pretty incredible album. Side C ("Easy Blues," "Crash Landing" and "Inside Out") is my favorite streth of vinyl in the double LP. Tied for the position of the album's highlight with "Somewhere" is "Hey Gypsy Boy." Incredibly mellow psych-rock... If it wasn't for Experience Hendrix's outright lies in their advertising, it would be easier to praise this album. As much as I do love it, it's disappointing that Eddie Kramer couldn't stand to knock off that splicing of seprate takes. I'd give it a solid 4/5 rating; it's more diverse than (2010) Valleys of Neptune, but I must admit, even though they each suffered from the same kind of false-advertising and unnecessary edits, VON seemed like more of a cohesive listen, at least to this young man.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:31 am 

Burning of the Midnight Lamp....maybe

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next