Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:35 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Well, the keep quiet thing is stupid. I've seen ZPZ plenty of times and like them. What a boring thing to say, ugh. Rah rah, sis boom bah fucking humbug. Do you only analyze things you hate? Do you consider analyzing FZ's music and its legacy to be a waste of time? I'll say what I want and you will keep giving DZ a blowjob. Enjoy. Now, wipe your chin.

I am all for analyzing FZ's music and its legacy. What I have a problem with are posts that rather than being constructive criticism are just insults.

Unfortunately, in my attempt to voice this opinion, I was greeted with a similar insult.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:48 am 

Bullshit. Analysis like you are talking about isn't worth the name. That is analysis like saying, "The solo on this song is my Fav, while the other one is my 2nd Fav". You have no idea that you are insulting me do you? You came on this thread to passive agressively insult anyone who doesn't give DZ blowjobs. So, YES, I AM INSULTING YOU! I won't pretend I'm not, as you are. You suck for sucking up to DZ rather than giving him the respect to say "I have problems x, y and Z with ZPZ and have hope for the future in them not having problems in the future". Thats constructive. Saying "I like ZPZ" is useless and boring. I don't think DZ gives a shit about what I write. But, you clearly have a problem with what I write and it hurts your heart. It shouldn't. I'm not hating on ZPZ when I knock them or DZ, I want them to be better, ya know, like a FAN would.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:09 am 

I've heard that if you want it all to be nice stuff towards Dweezil you can visit his site. In fact, you can only say nice things and can't be negative at all because it isn't allowed there. I'm mostly in favor of stuff Dweezil does, but I wouldn't want to be on a forum where I wasn't allowed to voice an opinion that might not be 100 percent positive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:26 am 

Bullshit. Analysis like you are talking about isn't worth the name. That is analysis like saying, "The solo on this song is my Fav, while the other one is my 2nd Fav". You have no idea that you are insulting me do you? You came on this thread to passive agressively insult anyone who doesn't give DZ blowjobs. So, YES, I AM INSULTING YOU! I won't pretend I'm not, as you are. You suck for sucking up to DZ rather than giving him the respect to say "I have problems x, y and Z with ZPZ and have hope for the future in them not having problems in the future". Thats constructive. Saying "I like ZPZ" is useless and boring. I don't think DZ gives a shit about what I write. But, you clearly have a problem with what I write and it hurts your heart. It shouldn't. I'm not hating on ZPZ when I knock them or DZ, I want them to be better, ya know, like a FAN would.

Now I see why you hit the roof. I apologize. That wasn't my intention.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:31 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I've heard that if you want it all to be nice stuff towards Dweezil you can visit his site. In fact, you can only say nice things and can't be negative at all because it isn't allowed there. I'm mostly in favor of stuff Dweezil does, but I wouldn't want to be on a forum where I wasn't allowed to voice an opinion that might not be 100 percent positive.

I'm not expecting it to be all nice and pleasant. Just don't go insulting the guy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:32 am 

if you don't like how things are ran at DZW (or any other place for that matter) THEN DON'T FUCKING GO THERE.

#retarts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:10 pm 

Uncle Z wrote:

Now I see why you hit the roof. I apologize. That wasn't my intention.

I suppose I did. No worries. Stick around.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:37 pm 

Uncle Z wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I'm not expecting it to be all nice and pleasant. Just don't go insulting the guy.

I'm not sure what you believe to be insulting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:55 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Uncle Z wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I'm not sure what you believe to be insulting.

I just re-read the whole thread and now I'm not sure. I guess I was being over-sensitive :oops:

I now have a thicker skin on order.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:51 pm 

Roxy in full?

Nah.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:23 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
retarts
What are they, tarts you ate earlier and barfed back up and ate again?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:51 pm 

polydigm wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
retarts

spelled wrong on purpose, Mr. still thinking it's cool to correct someone's grammar on the internet in 2013.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:58 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
If you have somewhat of a musical / compositional background, you can easily tell what's scored and what's not. For example:

1. FO - Nothing scored.
2. WRMF - Scores: Eric Dolphy, 1st part of Dwarf Nebula and Oh No. The rest is improv / straight forward / overdubbed.
3. Apostrophe - Scores: St. Alfonso. The rest is straight forward / overdubbed.
4. Joe's Garage - Scores: middle section of Wet T-Shirt Nite.
5. YAWYI - Only scored parts are Sinister Footwear III and the middle section of Jumbo Go Away.
6. FZMTMOP - Scores: All synclavier stuff, Alien Orifice and middle section of What's New In Baltimore.
I disagree. I'm a composer and I write everything down, whatever the complexity of the piece. I record stuff as well, but that leaves you having to go to extra trouble to work out the details after not having worked on it or listened to it for a long time. From what I've gathered about FZ he wrote a lot of stuff down too and he even took notes when he was rehearsing and came up with changes.

Now if you mean scored in terms of every note written down, maybe not always, but even with the early mothers FZ got tired of teaching parts to those Mothers that couldn't read music and towards the end of that phase he had handed over the rote teaching to Ian Underwood. He must have used music written by FZ for that. At the very least I think he produced fairly detailed chord charts with the main melody for most stuff. For example, would you expect Bobby Brown or Dancing Fool to have been written down? I have copies of both of those written down for copyright purposes, either by him or an employee. Okay, FZ paid others to do scoring and transcribing for him, but that indicates his awareness of how important it was to have stuff written down.

And, as far as Freak Out is concerned, I have seen pictures of pages of the scores for that album, in fact there are a couple used as backgrounds in the MOFO booklet. He had an ensemble of about 25 professional musicians backing up his band and it's a legend that they thought he was just another rock and roll poser but when he turned up with scores and handed out parts and conducted their arses off they were mostly very impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:59 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
polydigm wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
retarts
spelled wrong on purpose, Mr. still thinking it's cool to correct someone's grammar on the internet in 2013.
I'm not correcting your grammar, it's a joke you retart.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:57 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
if you don't like how things are ran at DZW (or any other place for that matter) THEN DON'T FUCKING GO THERE. …

… like North Korea or something. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:59 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

If you did,Trendy would be right there to berate you.It seems he's allowed to be negative on anyone else's ass.But anyone else gets negative,all the forum kneels and blows.Alot of them like Gary.Apparently he's helped some nordic folks navigate NYC,find a hotel,etcetera.DZ has even censored the Pope.Ask him.Suspended for negativity towards Gary Titone I believe was the charge.
I'll have to ask Ike about that article next month.Too bad I just saw (last Sept.) The GrandMothers play the whole Roxy album.It was great! NMB,Don Preston and Tom Fowler made rap/jams like The Be-Bop Tango shine and I don't see how anyone else could give it the life the composer intended,from any of the lilly white DZpZ.Those 'tones' you can't put on a foot pedal! Unless there's a pedal for 'tude.

Right now Trendy is busy pointing out how lousey Flo and Eddie were with FZ.One of them has a book coming out soon and I'm sure Gary is just laying the ground work for a full on assault should either dare insult DZ,FZ,GZ or the ZFT. {-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:34 am 

The negativity of this place may astound me at times, but even undersigned Miss Sugercoat couldn't handle 100% positivity.
Waffles anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:46 am 

polydigm wrote:
tiboudre wrote:
If you have somewhat of a musical / compositional background, you can easily tell what's scored and what's not. For example:

1. FO - Nothing scored.
2. WRMF - Scores: Eric Dolphy, 1st part of Dwarf Nebula and Oh No. The rest is improv / straight forward / overdubbed.
3. Apostrophe - Scores: St. Alfonso. The rest is straight forward / overdubbed.
4. Joe's Garage - Scores: middle section of Wet T-Shirt Nite.
5. YAWYI - Only scored parts are Sinister Footwear III and the middle section of Jumbo Go Away.
6. FZMTMOP - Scores: All synclavier stuff, Alien Orifice and middle section of What's New In Baltimore.
I disagree. I'm a composer and I write everything down, whatever the complexity of the piece. I record stuff as well, but that leaves you having to go to extra trouble to work out the details after not having worked on it or listened to it for a long time. From what I've gathered about FZ he wrote a lot of stuff down too and he even took notes when he was rehearsing and came up with changes.

Now if you mean scored in terms of every note written down, maybe not always, but even with the early mothers FZ got tired of teaching parts to those Mothers that couldn't read music and towards the end of that phase he had handed over the rote teaching to Ian Underwood. He must have used music written by FZ for that. At the very least I think he produced fairly detailed chord charts with the main melody for most stuff. For example, would you expect Bobby Brown or Dancing Fool to have been written down? I have copies of both of those written down for copyright purposes, either by him or an employee. Okay, FZ paid others to do scoring and transcribing for him, but that indicates his awareness of how important it was to have stuff written down.

And, as far as Freak Out is concerned, I have seen pictures of pages of the scores for that album, in fact there are a couple used as backgrounds in the MOFO booklet. He had an ensemble of about 25 professional musicians backing up his band and it's a legend that they thought he was just another rock and roll poser but when he turned up with scores and handed out parts and conducted their arses off they were mostly very impressed.

I understand what you're saying, Poly. I suppose I should've said that as far teaching the band those compositions, not everything was written down simultaneously. I mean, would you really waste your time transcribing the likes of 'Dumb All Over' for a band to play? Probably not.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:52 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

If you did,Trendy would be right there to berate you.It seems he's allowed to be negative on anyone else's ass.But anyone else gets negative,all the forum kneels and blows.Alot of them like Gary.Apparently he's helped some nordic folks navigate NYC,find a hotel,etcetera.DZ has even censored the Pope.Ask him.Suspended for negativity towards Gary Titone I believe was the charge.
I'll have to ask Ike about that article next month.Too bad I just saw (last Sept.) The GrandMothers play the whole Roxy album.It was great! NMB,Don Preston and Tom Fowler made rap/jams like The Be-Bop Tango shine and I don't see how anyone else could give it the life the composer intended,from any of the lilly white DZpZ.Those 'tones' you can't put on a foot pedal! Unless there's a pedal for 'tude.

Right now Trendy is busy pointing out how lousey Flo and Eddie were with FZ.One of them has a book coming out soon and I'm sure Gary is just laying the ground work for a full on assault should either dare insult DZ,FZ,GZ or the ZFT. {-

Of note: on DZ's website, there was a post of what full albums you think DZPZ should play entirely. I made a list of 'impossible' albums to do such as Francesco Zappa and Thing-Fish. Then my list proceeded to get ripped apart by you know who. The logistics alone to learn Thing-Fish in it's entirety would be a nightmare. Christ, DZPZ can't do Drowning Witch yet. And I don't think there's one FZ fan on earth who'd want to hear all of Francesco Zappa at a concert. Get real.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:57 am 

I saw the new band, they are very good, and they do a a lot more ad libs and variety show stuff like Frank did. I always thought that was the missing componet and now it is being added more and more, great!

YCDTOSA 3 or 4 would be a challange and worth seeing and I think I would prefer R&E's cousin YCDTOSA 2, which would be more in the wheel house for the new band 6 piece and all that... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:20 pm 

Plook wrote:
..I always thought that was the missing componet ... :smoke:
The component i miss died in 1993.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:18 pm 

ursinator wrote:
Plook wrote:
..I always thought that was the missing componet ... :smoke:
The component i miss died in 1993.

Conway Twitty?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:36 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
...And I don't think there's one FZ fan on earth who'd want to hear all of Francesco Zappa at a concert. Get real.

You have summoned the Devil's Advocate... hahaha, maybe at a college student recital.
But, I would like to hear it much in the same way as I listen on shuffle. Maybe after a ZPZ guitar solo that leads into a bass solo that leads into a drum solo, we end up with a keyboard solo which devolves into a Francesco piece. You know that would be cool, don't you. The Legendary Arrogant FZ Fan of your choice would then say: "Now, go memorize all of Francesco so you'll be the only person in the concert hall who can tell what's really going on!". :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:11 pm 

Uncle Z wrote:
What I have a problem with are posts that rather than being constructive criticism are just insults.

Let's be honest. It's all right here in the thread anyway so you can't lie about it. The ONLY insult in the thread was from jpflunk. He called me a moron. That's technically an insult. Of course, I'm not insulted in the least because I am okay with being called a moron by a guy who is probably a frustrated musician.

I know some guys who can't even get laid without their pathetic rock and roll pose.

DZ sounds like a frustrated musician when he plays. Stumbling along in his brilliant father's shadow. Selling us evaporated nectar.

jaypfunk wrote:
if you don't like how things are ran at DZW (or any other place for that matter) THEN DON'T FUCKING GO THERE.
Never have, never will. It was initially by instinct that I avoided it and now I have more concrete reasons.

BBP wrote:
The negativity of this place may astound me at times, but even undersigned Miss Sugercoat couldn't handle 100% positivity.
Waffles anyone?

I'd love a waffle. But come on....Frank Zappa beats us all when it comes to being what you call negative. Who here can match Zappa when it comes to pessimism?
I don't call it negative. Negative is when someone radiates fake optimism.
It's "negative" to keep letting the con men win. We can't sweep everything that stinks under the rug.

Uncle Z wrote:
This is how it works: If you like ZPZ, and a lot of Zappa fans do, say so. If you don't, just keep quiet.

How Nazi.
I've turned people on to Zappa who had written him off as shit after their first exposure to his music was through DZPZ. I had to say, "No,no. His son is not even close. The notes are right but everything else is wrong. Here, this is what Inca Roads really sounds like." And now they have, like, 20 Zappa albums each.

DZ would be creating personal, original works if he was really worth a shit as a musician. He's like some fusion guitarist behind the counter at Guitar Center showing off someone elses licks and selling expensive gear that will never disguise the fact that the actual performance is lifeless and completely unoriginal.

But I hope he surprises me someday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:12 pm 

Trendy's on DZW trying to defend himself about remarks he made saying Flo and Eddie were not prepared enough for a ZpZ rehearsal.This so called incedent happened in 2011,when they were thinking of doing a show together.Gary made it sound pretty recent.Mark has a book coming out soon and Trendy is trying to rewrite a little history for us dumb fans that "just don't understand" Dweezil and the ZFT's way's and why's of doing things.Everyone is real nice to him even as he blows a fuse trying to backtrack from previous statements.He'd be easy to pin down on a question if he would drop the Gail speak.It makes it easy for him to backtrack when you'll never understand what he sez anyway.Only the gist of it.

Beware the idiots of March......

BTW: He claims he's watching us here.Most likely to see who's worthy of DZW.He's quoted me from here recently over there.If he has his way,I'll never have a radio show for Zappa fans,for I am not worthy in his definition.Though once your on he sings another song as was the case with Howie Zowie in Maine.(wait until he figures out the ZFT isn't run by him)
:roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next