Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:40 am 

http://www.wheresthebeer.de/gallery/clips/

It is said (and also sad) that Gail Zappa refused permission to use MOI music in this film.

Th.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:12 am 

Wait, she didn't let them use MOI music for the film? You mean, the same company that didn't even mention his death on their website (that I can remember)?

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:05 pm 

Thanks for the clips, they were hilarious! :mrgreen:

I can't wait 'til the film is released!

But you're still an asshole, btw.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:41 pm 

Cool,thanx for posting this.
Is there a budget for Der Film.My Germans pretty bad,but the gist to me is that they need donations.Is this a German "Kickstarter" kinda thing Thindude? Translation help,por favor.

KK {-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:45 am 

The film is done and ready to go and will first be shown at documentary film festivals, etc.: http://www.wheresthebeer.de/category/termine/

It was partly funded or at least financially supported by some German "state TV" stations so to speak (ZDF, 3Sat), as far as I can tell. So it will probably be shown on TV, too. It is not a Kickstarter project.

The idiotbastard.com has more info somewhere.

Th.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:00 am 

Thinman wrote:
http://www.wheresthebeer.de/gallery/clips/

It is said (and also sad) that Gail Zappa refused permission to use MOI music in this film.

Th.

Before i watched the videos i suspected that the reason could be the discrepance between play my music and u will be rich and famous (ca.1964) and when do we get paid for (1971).
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Translation
KK {-

the guy who sells the toiletposters says: The big superposters from england, 7 marks. So much poster for 7 mark. Unique in Berlin, the big Zappa for 7 marks. The big Zappa, the beautyful Zappa...
The first interviewed guy says the new style... The second guy says I believe, this music will be considered as classical in 20 years
The last vid is a Volksmusik-guy who says that his music is good and rockmusic is shit, forget him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:17 am 

I can'tunderstand the trusts stance on tthe use of the material, it goes against everything you would want to do to keep the music alive, I don't get it... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:26 am 

Contrary to what a lot of zappa fans on this forum believe the dollar is what drives the trust.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:12 pm 

I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the excommunicated of the group.
(actually, not the only one. Soon, the credits will say F.Z. played all the instruments.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:01 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the excommunicated of the group.
(actually, not the only one. Soon, the credits will say F.Z. played all the instruments.)

Thanks Thindude and urinater,some thing get lost in translation. :mrgreen:
I still didn't get the name of it,unless it's Were's The Beer and When Do We Get Payed?

jpd,at one time he did play all the instruments....but that was before MOI. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:50 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Contrary to what a lot of zappa fans on this forum believe the dollar is what drives the trust.

When the chat was active ("way back when") and Gail was there she said that the budget was almost always the factor on what was being released.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:56 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
some thing get lost in translation. :mrgreen:

loss in translation guaranteed. Pleas do me a favor and don't read this to literally, i simplified it whenever i didn't know the right words/phrases (which means, i simplified it very often):

Where's the beer and when do we get paid?
An international Heimatfilm about Sex, drugs rock'n'roll and no retirment pension.

“Does Humour belong in Documentary Film?”
This question was already answered by the directors Sigrun Köhler and Wiltrud Baier in 2002 with their first feature documentary about the smallest bank in Germany, “Schotter wie Heu”.
(both words are synonyms for money)
Now they present their first tragic-comic musicians movie: Where's the Beer and when do we get paid? Jimmy Carl Black, the legendary drummer of Frank Zappa's "Mothers of Invention", lives in a small bavarian village. "The Indian of the group" can hardly speak german and is greeted regulary in beautiful bavarian slang with "Hello, Mr. Black!". Starting at Höpflinger station the 70-year-old is touring europe as drummer and singer while he is in the best age for retirement. Since forty years he has to sign the same old Zappa records again and again.
"Do not ask me, what the sound is. You have to hear it! "
When 17 years old JCB attended an Elvis concert, watching the girls to faint by the dozen, he knew he wanted to become a musician. This didn't make him a rich man.
„To tell you the truth, I don’t like to play the drums that much anymore. It’s too hard a work, man. But I need the money.”
In his last 2 years until he died in 2008, JCB was followed by the 2 filmakers' camera in Höpfling as well on his stage performances. Black, who draws of the attention on his cancer with rumbling humor, starts a tour into the USA that brings him back once again into his home town El Paso.
An international "Heimatfilm" about Sex, drugs and rocknroll and no retirement pension.

("Heimatfilm" is the wellknown cheesy movie genre that is primarily associated with bavarian folklore: music (Volksmusik), slang, landscape and traditional costumes (Lederhose , Dirndl). It was once abused by the nazis and is still considered as provincial and conservative. The film obviously makes fun of the contrast between provincial folklore and a musician who once was associated with terms like progressive-rock or avant-garde.)

Böller & Brot on the movie:

A friend of us, a very big FZ-Fan, once saw a guy in a vegetarian snack bar in Stuttgart who pretty looked like the legendary mothers drummer. He asked him jocular: «Are you the Indian of the group?» The guy answered: "Yes, my name is JCB and i am the indian of the group". Said this and left the place. Our friend was completeley astounded: The drummer of FZ in Stuttgart! Our friend sadly thought about his stack of MOI-albums that never were signed and that he actually missed the opportunity to have them signed by JCB. He told us his story and that there was a rumor about JCB living somewhere in the south of germany. We sent a note to JCB through the www and four days later received an answer: Wiltrud, How are you? I am fine. I would love to talk to you guys about a project. I live in southern Germany but I am now in Beyern. I live about 15 km from the Chiemsee near Traunstein. My telephone number is: 08662-XXX-XXX. Let´s get together and talk about doing something, OK. Thanks for the interest. JCB.
We put togehter our camera, our friend and his Zappa-albums and went on to bavaria. In Siegsdorf were about 2 meters of snow and it was pretty disillusioning to see the legendary musician living in a tiny 3-room appartement.
Bavaria with its typical leather pants, folkloric music and tradition didn't ecactly seem to be the right place for a FZ-band member, formerly hippie and indian from El Paso. Mr. Black never learnt to speak german, even less bavarian. But he was very friendly and signed the whole stack of albums of our friend and when we asked him if he never was tired signing all these things he answered: «Yes, I do. But it doesn’t do me any good.» His german wife also had told him to sign absolute everything.
And suddenly we were in between our new movie-project that should last 6 years...
JCB expected to have a movie that - "famous", as he was already - now finally should make him "rich", but he didn't like to get filmed very much. «Always shooting that camera! That’s your job! It’s a lousy job, but somebody’s got to do it!». As a musician he was familiar with getting interviewed and also getting filmed on stage an maybe also back-stage. But all the rest, what should it be good for?
In a 2 year up and down phase of committements and cancellations of the film budget, we filmed whenever it was possible or when we thought it was necessary. Jimmy was very impatient as if he had a premonition: «Get me while you can! I may not be around for too long!»
His physical condition worsened and the last big US-tour with Eugene Chadborne was already very tiring. But ecactly this was his life: touring, signing old Zappa records, watching television in hotel rooms and keeping the beat like a clockwork.
«Sweet, sweet, steady beat.»
We asked ourselves about fame and wealth and and about still working in this old age. What will happen when we will be 70? Will we still be able/willing to do movies? Will we keep the beat till the end like Jimmy?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:03 pm 

Thank you very much ursinator,it brought a tear to me eye and made me ponder the lives of those great blues musicians that paved the way with their songs for the "British Invasion".The Stones,The BeaTles,Animals,Kinks and on and on,they all owe a dept to these old cats.So it was great to see one of my favorite blues men Buddy Guy get recognized by our prez as an American Icon & awarded a medal with 6 other notables on the Kennedy Honors show last week.I wish JCB could a been there too.
One thing doesn't sit well with me though.FZ's band was a launching place for musicians and not the end.Most of the other Mothers have or have had careers and a life.The first MOI's ended up expecting "it" to never end.It did and some went on but a few like JCB,Roy and Ray stayed hand to mouth.I don't think it's fair to blame FZ for that.I wonder if any surviving Mothers get any royleties for 200 Motels or Baby Snakes? It's sad,but what can one do? JCB did seem happy in his croutchity,bitching way.Some guys are just like that.I dunno any answers,I hung up my guru rope and dropped my crystal balls.Ouch!
BTW,I rewatched those clips and your translation sounds quite proper.Very good actually! Thanks again,that was very cool of you to do man. 8) :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:18 am 

U r welcome. Guess that lots of FZ-fans are curious on this movie.
I hope it will be succesful in germany and then also released in an english version.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:45 pm 

ursinator wrote:
U r welcome. Guess that lots of FZ-fans are curious on this movie.
I hope it will be succesful in germany and then also released in an english version.

Me 2! That would be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:10 am 

Thanks for the post Thinman, looking forward to this one 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:09 pm 

Well, at least JCB figured out where the beer was at. Too bad he never got the money.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:50 am 

No idea why but none of the clips will play for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:06 am 

Not to bring an old thread back to life, but has anyone had a chance to see this yet? Or heard anything about when it might come to the US/be released on DVD?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:09 am 

I'm wondering the same thing. I really want to watch this movie.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:08 pm 

thenoisydrum wrote:

I saw it in Germany (during Zappanale). It is both entertaining and sad. Jack & Jim come across like Grumpy Old Men, while Don & Bunk appear like Waldorf & Statler.

There will be a DVD with lots of bonus material, and with English subtitles. Please remain calm.

In other news, JCB's autobiography should be with us before the end of the year (all being well).

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:31 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
I saw it in Germany (during Zappanale). It is both entertaining and sad. Jack & Jim come across like Grumpy Old Men, while Don & Bunk appear like Waldorf & Statler.

There will be a DVD with lots of bonus material, and with English subtitles. Please remain calm.

In other news, JCB's autobiography should be with us before the end of the year (all being well).

I've seen Chadbourne every few years since about 1990. I think he was born a Grumpy Old Man. I saw him in Chicago on the last Jack & Jim tour there and I thought their cranky banter was a blast. I'll look forward to seeing the movie. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go to see Chadbourne at the upcoming NY shows, which will include...

CHADFEST AT THE STONE!

For the Oct. 29-Nov. 3 run of Doc Chad events at The Stone, New York City, courtesy of John Zorn:

Thursday, October 31 HALLOWEEN SPECIAL

8 P.M.
The Doc Chad All Dead Jazz and Pop All Stars

Eugene Chadbourne (guitar, banjo, voice) as Jimmy Carl Black
Evan Gallagher (piano) as Thelonious Monk
Thomas Heberer (trumpet) as Muggsy Spanier
Tatsuya Nakatani (percussion, voice) as Johnny Cash
Louie Pearlman (ukulele, voice) as Cab Calloway
Barry Mitterhof (mandolin) as Jethro Burns
And special surprise guests…

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:02 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
thenoisydrum wrote:

Thanks for the info, been looking forward to both!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:02 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
The Idiot Bastard wrote:
I've seen Chadbourne every few years since about 1990. I think he was born a Grumpy Old Man.

After a Shockabilly show I was looking at his cassettes and as I picked one up he smacked my hand! HARD.