Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:03 pm 

Hey guys a while ago i read or heard somewhere that zappa was planning on recording another album like Crusin' With Ruben some time in the early 70s. That album never happened, but there was Ruben and the Jets For Real. A different band with (mostly) their own songs that zappa produced instead of making another doo-wop record.

I believe lots of the songs intended to be on "Ruben II" record were recorded and released on other albums.Some of the supposed Ruben II songs are:
Sharleena
Babbette (can be heard on YCDTOSA Vol. 1)
Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up (An early version of this song can be heard on a Jeff Simmons record with that title. Co-produced and written by zappa under the alias of "La marr Bruister")
If I Could Only Be Your Love Again (Apparently this record was at least partially recorded during the Waka/Jawaka/Wazoo sessions and features parts of zappa's band as session musicians)

Now im gonna make some assumptions and say that these songs could have also been intended for the Ruben II album:
Tears Begin To Fall (can be heard on Fillmore East - 1971)
Love Will Make You Lose Your Mind (i've never heard this song, but it was recorded during a session where the original Sharleena was recorded and also the title should be a good give away as to what the song's content would be. Also a similar theme to Lucille)
Rudy Wants To Buy Yez A Drink (heard on chunga's revenge. This song is a bit of a stretch as it is about a union man, but who knows? the musical style fits, maybe it had alternate lyrics at some point?)

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any more information on this album or its possible songs.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:45 pm 

in the sky
dong work for yuda - fast version
luigi & the wise guys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:44 pm 

Maybe "Lemme Take You to the Beach" too? It was partially done at the "Hot Rats" sessions. During which, according to IINK, there was also a tune cut named "Natasha", also unreleased and never heard, possibly locked up tight in the vault. But it did have the standard HR line-up, plus Roy Estrada singing. So maybe another possible doo-wopper?

Then there's "Chucha" from Mystery Disc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:03 am 

chocolate halvah; doo-wop, swami style