Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:20 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Yeah, alot of great music is made by people who can't read music. No shit.
I'm talking about a guy who is claiming all this OFFICIAL shit for years, but can't actually read music. And if either of you are somehow saying that the written parts of FZ's work don't matter, then I put the ball back in your court to prove that. Go get an orchestra to wing it sometime.
Each band that FZ put together did so with written music. They took the written music and made it their own. I'm sure that much of ZPZ is written, even if DZ is the only one in the band who can't decipher it. Now DZ is saying that it is his concept is to listen to the music (already 1 generation from the composition), and then play what he has heard. Do you see that this is NOT the way FZ did it? There is no way that the OFFICIAL FZ music is one that ignores the Composition.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you, I didn't realise he was"claiming all this official shit" ,overall the DZ stuff is a small part of my library, like i say I love guitar stuff like Steve Khan, him self a master musician, I am probably in a minority on the forum as far as ROCK goes.

You know you can always count with me on that, friend. Even though I am a proghead also.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:56 am 

Oh help! We're being Trendwatched!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:49 am 

The only defense is folks blatantly talking out of turn on my commentary.

La La La La......A Snack is in order.
I do not have much time. The cause for breakfast has been limited.

What's it going to be Chicken , Beef or Turkey.

Kapt has been doing quite a bit of that "talking out of turn"of late.
If he wants a radio show I would hope he learns his facts.

First serving will be Turkey.
If you are going to meet Ike Willis, I would encourage you not to lend him money or any valued commodity.
The words of Ike Willis have proven themselves to be highly untrustworthy.

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
If you did,Trendy would be right there to berate you.It seems he's allowed to be negative on anyone else's ass.But anyone else gets negative,all the forum kneels and blows.Alot of them like Gary.Apparently he's helped some nordic folks navigate NYC,find a hotel,etcetera.DZ has even censored the Pope.Ask him.Suspended for negativity towards Gary Titone I believe was the charge.
I'll have to ask Ike about that article next month.Too bad I just saw (last Sept.) The GrandMothers play the whole Roxy album.It was great! NMB,Don Preston and Tom Fowler made rap/jams like The Be-Bop Tango shine and I don't see how anyone else could give it the life the composer intended,from any of the lilly white DZpZ.Those 'tones' you can't put on a foot pedal! Unless there's a pedal for 'tude.

Right now Trendy is busy pointing out how lousey Flo and Eddie were with FZ.
One of them has a book coming out soon and I'm sure Gary is just laying the ground work for a full on assault should either dare insult DZ,FZ,GZ or the ZFT.
{-

From my standpoint the problem was never about them being showman, frontman or the born on dating of their shtick going bad. On top of that an important thing I would like to bring to your attention is as follows.

I most certainly have not, will not, or, and but also, am not, as you stated "busy pointing out how lousey Flo and Eddie were with FZ." Not only have I always thoroughly enjoyed their contributions to Frank's work, but I have seen them live many times over the last 4 decades. Since their guest involvement with ZPZ was first being discussed in 2005, I was thoroughly supportive. My cause for breakfast has never been to berate them with an icing anointment utensil but with their poor effort someone should take a stance.

Flo & Eddie have their stage personalities. They so-called wore their showman clothes, their personality and routine is what it is, but pointedly it was obvious they did not come prepared. In the parts they were asked to perform with ZPZ, those of which were not even anywhere near the most difficult material they did with Frank, they failed. This was a one time guest spot but if it were my band they would not be asked again. It could very well have been a test to see if they were capable of doing bigger things. If so they failed such a test. Some had been hoping for a ZPZ show at Carnegie Hall, where Flo & Eddie would be guests, somehow that never played out. After Flow and Eddie's poor attempt at Bearsville that event never played itself out. The imagination of the imaginer had long hoped for a show at Carnegie Hall long before the album was released.
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Trendy's on DZW trying to defend himself about remarks he made saying Flo and Eddie were not prepared enough for a ZpZ rehearsal.This so called incedent happened in 2011,when they were thinking of doing a show together.Gary made it sound pretty recent.Mark has a book coming out soon and Trendy is trying to rewrite a little history for us dumb fans that "just don't understand" Dweezil and the ZFT's way's and why's of doing things.Everyone is real nice to him even as he blows a fuse trying to backtrack from previous statements.He'd be easy to pin down on a question if he would drop the Gail speak.It makes it easy for him to backtrack when you'll never understand what he sez anyway.Only the gist of it.

Beware the idiots of March......

BTW: He claims he's watching us here.Most likely to see who's worthy of DZW.He's quoted me from here recently over there.If he has his way,I'll never have a radio show for Zappa fans,for I am not worthy in his definition.Though once your on he sings another song as was the case with Howie Zowie in Maine.(wait until he figures out the ZFT isn't run by him)
:roll:

and but also, as far as the time-frame of the event. I know exactly when it took place. I DIRECTLY stated it was several years ago, and but also, that is all fine and dandy with Meridian Webster, and but also, I well know what Howie Zowie has been doing.

EDIT NOTE:
I think it is clear that many folks, certainly including myself, quite enjoy Flo & Eddie's work with Frank. I am also sure the ZFT quite enjoy their work with Frank, but not everyone is going to like that era of Frank's work. The newsgroup here certainly had a fair share of nay sayers long before the event took place. I always had confidence that Flo & Eddie would not only deliver a given standard but do so with more difficult material that they seemingly, cough, attempted at Bearsville. Be it the guest segment or the entire show, ZPZ played their parts up to the standards of the composer, Flo & Eddie did not.

For those who have followed long after Frank's passing, when it comes Flo & Eddie working with the ZFT, Flo & Eddie had seemingly overvalued themselves. Yes OVERVALUED. I for one had long applauded their overall body of work. I was highly looking forward to their working with ZPZ, not only at Bearsville, but in larger scaled efforts, to support a remarkable part of FZs cannon of work. Far too much material to get into in this short sub-context commentary, stemming from a DZ Interview topic, but when it comes to Flo & Eddie performing FZs work with Zappa Plays Zappa, clearly Flo & Eddie were not prepared for rehearsals, and but also, they were not prepared for the live show with ZPZ, and but also, I don't expect to ever see them working with Zappa Plays Zappa again.

I did enjoy the show, but it was quite unfortunate that on that occasion, with a very small selection of songs, not even the most difficult ones they did with FZ, the one chance Flo & Eddie had with ZPZ, they did not live up to the standards of the composer.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:10 am, edited 15 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:25 am 

But Zappa Plays Zappa is Dweezil's band, not Frank's. Frank would have never let Steve Vai go on 5-10 minute wankfests like he did with ZPZ. But I'm probably being a tad bit negative, so I'm going to throw myself out the window.

*crash*

AAAAHHHHHHHHH

*thump*

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:59 am 

Trenddoucher: Stick your overused and stupid-sounding "and but alsos" up your ass, then stick your ass in an industrial blender. You're a bigger wanker than Steve Vai any day of the week. Five edits and your prose still wouldn't pass eight grade English class. (Make that eight edits now.) (I notice that he's up to 15 edits now, but I sure the shit ain't gonna read it again. Let's assume that he pushed it up to ninth grade flunk by now.)

Last edited by Pope Jim on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:23 am 

And let me say I'm a fan of Steve Vai. It's just sometimes he can go on a bit with the wheedle-whee.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:48 am 

The Head ZFT Cheerleader Ambassador-at-Large and Most Negative FZ Forum Member of All Time is back! ugh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:27 am 

Wait a minute...
Trendy posted at 7:49am (in my time zone anyway)
Then when Pope Jim commented that Trendy had edited his post 5 times, it was 10:59am, Three Hours and Ten Minutes Later. So, in the first 3 hours after posting, Trendy had edited his post 5 times. After that, it was edited an additional 10 times.
If you need to modify your post 10 more times after you've polished it 6 times in the first 3 hours, you should probably just make a new post. This makes it clear that Trendy has no concern for the replies to his posts because how can any comment remain relevent when the original gets edited over and over again?
And sheesh, its not like the end result is a good post. :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:19 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
Flo & Eddie had seemingly overvalued themselves. Yes OVERVALUED.

And you? Have you not overvalued yourself?
Flo and Eddie at least contributed to Zappa's music. They were in the band. How about you? Your writing is of the most mundane kind.You are unaware and incapable of the essential powers of rhythm. You're possessed of a solipsism that has led you to think these words you post are worth expressing.

Flo and Eddie and Ray White were on stage performing with Zappa. You will never be.

Trendmonger wrote:
I do not have much time.

You have nothing but time. You just spent 3 hours editing a post that ultimately says nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:29 am 

We need a 24h Trendy watch who can make a screenshot as soon as he posts something, so we can compare them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:35 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
Flo & Eddie had seemingly overvalued themselves. Yes OVERVALUED.

And you? Have you not overvalued yourself?
Flo and Eddie at least contributed to Zappa's music. They were in the band. How about you? Your writing is of the most mundane kind.You are unaware and incapable of the essential powers of rhythm. You're possessed of a solipsism that has led you to think these words you post are worth expressing.

Flo and Eddie and Ray White were on stage performing with Zappa. You will never be.

Trendmonger wrote:
I do not have much time.

You have nothing but time. You just spent 3 hours editing a post that ultimately says nothing.

Firstly,

I shared the same stage with Frank Zappa with 4 million people watching.
Frank dug what I was doing on a very high level.
His words on the event were enough for me.
Not only was I honoured by Frank's comemntary on the show but we had the chance to speak of the Letterman show we both were guests at backstage at The Pier in 1984.

Secondly,
Frank edited his work. The post and edits were done quickly before I even had time for a cup of coffee.
In all honesty my reply to Kaptains misguided commentary did not even get the icing.
As noted it was a snack.
These edits, I left the house for a few hours, came back and did some more edits.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:50 pm 

Your silly story about FZ and you smooching on Letterman again?

You posts aren't "work".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:51 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:

Yet you were not invited to join his band. F&E were in the fucking band. Full time members. They were obviously at an even higher level than you. When you attempt to diminish their contributions to Zappa' music, it does not speak well for you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:05 pm 

"While Frank assembled some pretty good musicians over the years of his far too brief time of recording there is no doubt that the Ensemble Modern is the finest bunch of humans that have ever assembled in a Psuedo Wagon Train Formation."

"Dweezil is not the first to pull of Franks music on Guitar with perfection in a Chops sense but in all honesty as fine as Dweezils CHOPS are his performance goes way beyound CHOPS.

The performance of the FZ Medley goes way beyound 100% perfection of NOTES & CHOPS. "

"Dweezil has split the Atom here and while he very much has the same linear DNA as in the family sense he has put the DNA of what defines a Frank Zappa performance in the FZ Medley. "

"My complaint is that far too many fans have not had the opportunity to have a higher understanding."

"I must admit it is fun writing here but at times many of the minds have little to no clue as to what the deal is."

"I have never claimed to be any authority figure and do not attempt or have interest in gaining such statture."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:07 pm 

Hm. Complaint is correctly spelled, but stature isn't.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:09 pm 

Quote:
"My complaint is that far too many fans have not had the opportunity to have a higher understanding."

Because of unjustifiably high ticket prices?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:35 pm 

I found the other Trendmonger post that indicates just what kind of level headed fan he is:

"His stage presence is beyond belief. There is only one individual who has ever had that potential for the stage. Some people might think that Elvis shaking his hips during the `50s is where it`s at. To me, Ahmet Zappa is the real deal. The lights could be off, and he is shining 1,000,000 lumens."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:26 pm 

Hi,

Nice interview, but I think that Dweezil is a bit caught ... and he is not capable of getting away from the adoration and acceptance in order to do music.

His desire to make things a little more "rock" oriented, is probably a better thing all around as some of the things they were doing, at least during the "Return to Forever" tour 2011, when they were totally blown out of the stage by a vastly superior band ... that at least believed in their work. The ZPZ part of the show, was tired, boring, and not exciting, and I think that it was way too scattered between trying to be cute and cool with jazz things, and also show off ... I got the rock licks! Next to "Return to Forever" your rock licks are cheap, stupid and bad music! And Frank would not have stood for it at all!

In my way of seeing things, it is not about the rock, the jazz or the bullshit ... you either do it or you don't ... and it doesn't matter if you take 4 parts and they are combined in one instrument or 1 part played by 7 instruments (wouldn't that be a GAS to do and have fun with!)

I would actually like to do a cartoon'ish thing for Dweezil on the stage ... it might fall flat, or it might be silly, but it would be in the neighborhood of Fantasia (Disney's) or Allegro Non Troppo (the Italian version), and it might add some fun to the band and show ...but I'm not sure that he finds it humerous, as it can ... since he takes the music way too seriously.

Good luck, is all I can say ... I think he has to start doing his own work, and if it stands up, it will help the father's work stand out even more, but I do not think that Dweezil's work is as energetic, and crazy and good, as his dad's was. Most sons or daughters never were, either!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:18 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

Yet you were not invited to join his band. F&E were in the fucking band. Full time members. They were obviously at an even higher level than you. When you attempt to diminish their contributions to Zappa' music, it does not speak well for you.

What does not speak well for you is your failure to understand that I applaud Flo & Eddie's contributions to FZs music when they were in FZs band.
FZs canon speaks for itself and I thoroughly enjoy Flo & Eddies contributions to FZs work. It was clear that is my stance and that I also enjoy their solo career.

Simply put Flo & Eddie were in no way professionally prepared for their opportunity with Zappa Plays Zappa.
They made themselves to be a valued commodity. One has to wonder why they were not part of the initial 2006 shows.
At that time I think they overvalued themselves. Then they finally get another opportunity. Five years later they failed at the rehearsals and they failed at the live show.
They proved they overvalued themselves.

I never auditioned nor did I intend to audition for FZs band.
My little part was a brief moment in time where FZs words speak for what it is.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Last edited by Trendmonger on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:25 pm 

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:37 pm 

Moshkito wrote:
Hi,

Nice interview, but I think that Dweezil is a bit caught ... and he is not capable of getting away from the adoration and acceptance in order to do music.

His desire to make things a little more "rock" oriented, is probably a better thing all around as some of the things they were doing, at least during the "Return to Forever" tour 2011, when they were totally blown out of the stage by a vastly superior band ...

I don't know where you were educated in the music of Frank Zappa but a variety of sized ensembles are what FZ worked with throughout his touring career. The touring schedule Dweezil has had since 2006, Return To Forever has never had a schedule anywhere near what Zappa Plays Zappa has achieved. Both in the number of dates over time and the magnitude of musicality.

To even think being blown away by Return To Forever, from my perspective that is a total joke. The body of work created by Return To Forever, that body of work is minuscule to that of Frank Zappa and what Zappa Plays Zappa has done with the composers work. It may be your opinion, but I've seen the musicians individually and as Return To Forever enough times live to well understand that it was a tour where a communion was more at hand than any blowing off the stage. I applaud Return To Forever and Zappa Plays Zappa for making it all happen.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:47 pm 

"A variety of sized ensembles", hahahahaha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:13 pm 

I have the luck of never getting caught up in the Trendy thing. Really, I don't think I've ever read an entire post of his. I'm not sure why, but it serves me well. I am truly blessed.

Back to the interview. I don't ever remember Ike saying he talked to Frank on his death bed. I thought he said that near the end of Frank's life, Frank told him to keep the music alive. In any case, how can Dweezil possibly know what Frank said to Ike, unless Ike and Frank were never alone together in the last weeks or months of his life. Just saying.

I've also noticed that Dweezil talks now about assigning parts and making some changes in the compositions, to fit the band. I'm glad he's honest about that, finally. Earlier on, he insisted that his was the only band that played everything exactly as FZ did. That never seemed true, to me.

Based on many things that Dweezil has said over the years, I think he's spends way too much time whining and looking for fault in others.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:43 pm 

Gary all you needed to do was to give a link to the Flo and Eddie part of the show,but apparently you won't because "it's not worthy of posting on such a perfect site as DZW".That's the crux of that biscuit.Instead you posted a few short clips from the show,which you filmed.Not one with F & E.So Gary do you think we'd just take your word for it? This from back in 2011.Hey since then,maybe they took your advice and practiced being more in tune with the composers intent.Just like real professionals Gary. :lol:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Based on many things that Dweezil has said over the years, I think he's spends way too much time whining and looking for fault in others.

..and here I thought that was your job Gary. :shock:
Moshkito wrote:
Hi,Nice interview, but I think that Dweezil is a bit caught ... and he is not capable of getting away from the adoration and acceptance in order to do music.
Good luck, is all I can say ... I think he has to start doing his own work, and if it stands up, it will help the father's work stand out even more, but I do not think that Dweezil's work is as energetic, and crazy and good, as his dad's was. Most sons or daughters never were, either!

An honest opinion.Now what's wrong with that Gary? We know the truth....don't we? :wink:
I try and encourage folks to listen to FZ'S music or DZpZ rendition of the same music,not berate them for not seeing/listening to it my way 24/7.Gary,you drive people away from Franks music,always over explaining in that Gail speak that no one but yourself can decifer.Your a good guy at heart,of this I'm sure! You just don't take critisisms very well and you certainly don't learn from your mistakes.I'm not out to get you,I don't care that much.If you'd try and talk with your own wording,you just might make a good point now and then.As it is now,anywhere you post seems to bring out the worst in people.Are they all wrong? Just something to think about,before you reply next time.For the love of Frank and his music,give 'er a try.What could it hurt? You seem to be your own worst enemy,ya know? BTW,I know not to lend Ike a dime if I want to see it again! Thanx for the heads up anyway,I appreciate it. :wink:
Peace,fellow ZappaFreak!

Edited 0 times total!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:35 pm 

It must have been a traumatic experience, when FZ caught him in his underpants on Letterman. That caused some serious mental problems obviuosly. Very sad.

Th.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next