Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The '75/'76 band
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:25 am 

I always have my problems with this line-up, but this show is better than anything I have heard from them before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwCy9wYP-KY

At least a million times better than FZ:OZ.

Th.

Post subject: Re: The '75/'76 band
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:45 pm 

There are PLENTY of great shows from this band, stupid. The fuck is you be talkin' 'bout?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:21 pm 

Ah, the hideous screech from Johnny's enflamed asshole can only mean one thing: Spring's almost here...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:42 pm 

Perth '76 is also probably my favourite show from the '75/'76 band...but...

jaypfunk wrote:
There are PLENTY of great shows from this band, stupid. The fuck is you be talkin' 'bout?

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:51 am 

Disco Boy wrote:

Hmm, better than Vancouver, Osaka, Copenhagen, Berlin? I've never gotten around to checking this show out, guess I need to.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 pm 

Berlin, Osaka and Kyoto are 3 really great ones

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:10 pm 

The only Zappa show I ever attended was the FZ/OZ concert, and I remember being underwhelmed at the time
I was stuck up the back of the Hordern, so the crappy indistinct echoey sound didn't help
Also, I think I was half expecting OSFA live on stage
Terry's drum solo was the highlight for me (and a few solos from Frank)
Still, it was great to finally listen to the FZ/OZ recording, and hear what actually went down at that gig!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:10 pm 

I saw this band in New Orleans in 75, I think. Frank had some positively beautiful solos. My problem might have been that I saw the 73 band in Chicago before that, and that band had the horns, Ruth Underwood, George Duke going for it. The material was so much more intense than the 75 band had. So I was disappointed, overall.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:09 pm 

Black Napkins from Halloween 76 (early show?) is killer. The one where the dude in the crowd yells, "Fuck you, Frank! You suck, Frank!" I always wonder if it was the long slow jam or just the setlist in general, or what the guy is pissed about. I've never been a fan of Eddie Jobson but he develops a really good violin solo.

Any Downers from Vancouver '75 is totally sick. And funny. N.M. Brock is in fine form. Good one to play when trying to turn Black Sabbath/Stoner Rock fans on to Zappa.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:20 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Hmm, better than Vancouver, Osaka, Copenhagen, Berlin?

Probably.

pbuzby wrote:
I've never gotten around to checking this show out, guess I need to.

I think you should asap...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

Post subject: re: the '75/'76 band
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:07 pm 

my 1st mothers show, with eddie jobson on a few songs ... outstanding setlist [same as joe's menage for tracks 11-17], monster solos from frank - he quotes big swifty during the enema bandit solo - & norma, a wild ¾-hour long chunga/zoot/filthy combo toward the end, jobson's solo on filthy habits seems to boost frank's already manic soloing up 2 levels ... a full show road tapes release would be great

7-dec-75
hamilton, canada
137 min
aud b+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:52 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Black Napkins from Halloween 76 (early show?) is killer. The one where the dude in the crowd yells, "Fuck you, Frank! You suck, Frank!" I always wonder if it was the long slow jam or just the setlist in general, or what the guy is pissed about. I've never been a fan of Eddie Jobson but he develops a really good violin solo.

Any Downers from Vancouver '75 is totally sick. And funny. N.M. Brock is in fine form. Good one to play when trying to turn Black Sabbath/Stoner Rock fans on to Zappa.

Saw the show at the Paramount Theater in Portland Or Oct 3 1975 a few days later and was underwhelmed although parts were really good, also saw the 74 mothers and it was no comparison. Later in that tour they were playing better and I always did wonder why Frank looked so pissed after the show. I had a friend who worked there and he said that Frank had a unlit cigar in his mouth and was doing the big glare-stare backstage and was said to be extremely pissed off.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:44 pm 

Little_Sally wrote:
Saw the show at the Paramount Theater in Portland Or Oct 3 1975 a few days later and was underwhelmed although parts were really good, also saw the 74 mothers and it was no comparison. Later in that tour they were playing better and I always did wonder why Frank looked so pissed after the show. I had a friend who worked there and he said that Frank had a unlit cigar in his mouth and was doing the big glare-stare backstage and was said to be extremely pissed off.

so how exactly does time travel work Little Sally? cause i've got some shows i want to check out too!

Post subject: Re: re: the '75/'76 band
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:54 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
my 1st mothers show, with eddie jobson on a few songs ... outstanding setlist [same as joe's menage for tracks 11-17], monster solos from frank - he quotes big swifty during the enema bandit solo - & norma, a wild ¾-hour long chunga/zoot/filthy combo toward the end, jobson's solo on filthy habits seems to boost frank's already manic soloing up 2 levels ... a full show road tapes release would be great

7-dec-75
hamilton, canada
137 min
aud b+

Based on your recommendation, I just re-listened to this show (I haven't heard it in a few years) and it's definitely a top 5 show from this band. My top 5 from this band are, Perth, Vancouver, Osaka, Hamilton & Berlin...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:57 am 

myourself wrote:
Little_Sally wrote:

so how exactly does time travel work Little Sally? cause i've got some shows i want to check out too!

You would have to ask Doctor Who about that as I don't have a Tardis but there is something called body-exchange and it works quite well if u take the time to figure it out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:48 pm 

Little_Sally wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

Your sorority sisters must be really impressed (and totally confused) when you regale them with your stories of early '70's Zappa concerts during your all-nite pajama parties. :mrgreen:

I must admit I had a 1% degree of uncertainty as to your identity prior to this post. Bravo! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:50 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Berlin, Osaka and Kyoto are 3 really great ones

Right there. Fuckin great gigs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:33 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Little_Sally wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

Your sorority sisters must be really impressed (and totally confused) when you regale them with your stories of early '70's Zappa concerts during your all-nite pajama parties. :mrgreen:

I must admit I had a 1% degree of uncertainty as to your identity prior to this post. Bravo! 8)

Dude ya know my Crapdetector track record, why ask why... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:47 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Little_Sally wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

The worst thing was that he really was pissed, his next appearance in Portland was 5 years later in 1980. So sorry we missed the great bands of 76,77,78 and 79.
I remember the 1980 concert well. Went to the second show and Frank played for an hour and a half of all new songs mostly from YAWYI. Then we got some Joes Garage and some others off of SYB
I remember the Portland crowd going so crazy when the band came on out that it was almost a magical experience... one of some sort of religious fever building up from a low roar to and out and out blast of whistling, stomping and clapping that Frank came out with a big smile and didn't stop smiling for the whole show. I remember the show starting off with a guitar solo and then Teenage Wind, Harder than your Husband and then blasting into Bamboozled by Love and also remember being completely blown away by the hard riffs and Ikes Willis vocals. I remember turning to look at my friends and all are mouths were open in amazement. The rest of the show may be hashed over later. Oh lord the SHIT done hit the fan !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:34 pm 

This is the show you probably saw

1980 03 29 - Paramount Theatre, Portland, OR
Late show
110 min, Aud, B
Treacherous Cretins, Teenage Wind, Harder Than Your Husband, Bamboozled By Love, Pick Me I'm Clean, Society Pages, I'm A Beautiful Guy, Beauty Knows No Pain, Charlie's Enormous Mouth, Any Downers?, Conehead, Easy Meat, Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Heavenly Bank Account, Suicide Chump, Jumbo Go Away, If Only She Woulda, I Don't Wanna Get Drafted, Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Dinah Moe Humm, Dancin' Fool, Bobby Brown, A Pound For A Brown

KUIII saw him the next night in Sac

1980 03 30 - Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento, CA
115 min, Aud, B+
Treacherous Cretins, Teenage Wind, Harder Than Your Husband, Bamboozled By Love, Pick Me I'm Clean, Society Pages, I'm A Beautiful Guy, Beauty Knows No Pain, Charlie's Enormous Mouth, Any Downers?, Conehead, Easy Meat, Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Heavenly Bank Account, Suicide Chump, Jumbo Go Away, If Only She Woulda, I Don't Wanna Get Drafted, Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Dancin' Fool, Bobby Brown, Black Napkins

I saw him a week later in LA

1980 04 06 - Sports Arena, Los Angeles, CA
120 min, Aud, B+
Watermelon In Easter Hay, Teenage Wind, Harder Than Your Husband, Bamboozled By Love, Pick Me I'm Clean, Society Pages, I'm A Beautiful Guy, Beauty Knows No Pain, Charlie's Enormous Mouth, Any Downers?, Conehead, Easy Meat, Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Heavenly Bank Account, Suicide Chump, Jumbo Go Away, If Only She Woulda, I Don't Wanna Get Drafted, Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Dancin' Fool, Bobby Brown, Black Napkins, Nite Owl

Ike was dressed as Thing Fish less the mask and wearing a mop head as hair, the band was

Frank Zappa's Band, March - July 1980
FZ, Ike Willis, Ray White, Arthur Barrow, David Logeman, Tommy Mars.

Great concert great band and what do ya know a six piece with no percussions like DZ now... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:50 pm 

Plook wrote:

Late show
110 min, Aud, B
Treacherous Cretins, Teenage Wind, Harder Than Your Husband, Bamboozled By Love, Pick Me I'm Clean, Society Pages, I'm A Beautiful Guy, Beauty Knows No Pain, Charlie's Enormous Mouth, Any Downers?, Conehead, Easy Meat, Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Heavenly Bank Account, Suicide Chump, Jumbo Go Away, If Only She Woulda, I Don't Wanna Get Drafted, Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Dinah Moe Humm, Dancin' Fool, Bobby Brown, A Pound For A Brown

115 min, Aud, B+
Treacherous Cretins, Teenage Wind, Harder Than Your Husband, Bamboozled By Love, Pick Me I'm Clean, Society Pages, I'm A Beautiful Guy, Beauty Knows No Pain, Charlie's Enormous Mouth, Any Downers?, Conehead, Easy Meat, Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Heavenly Bank Account, Suicide Chump, Jumbo Go Away, If Only She Woulda, I Don't Wanna Get Drafted, Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Dancin' Fool, Bobby Brown, Black Napkins

120 min, Aud, B+
Watermelon In Easter Hay, Teenage Wind, Harder Than Your Husband, Bamboozled By Love, Pick Me I'm Clean, Society Pages, I'm A Beautiful Guy, Beauty Knows No Pain, Charlie's Enormous Mouth, Any Downers?, Conehead, Easy Meat, Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Heavenly Bank Account, Suicide Chump, Jumbo Go Away, If Only She Woulda, I Don't Wanna Get Drafted, Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Dancin' Fool, Bobby Brown, Black Napkins, Nite Owl

Ike was dressed as Thing Fish less the mask and wearing a mop head as hair, the band was

Great concert great band and what do ya know a six piece with no percussions like DZ now... :smoke:

That was the show and I gots the free download from somewhere and listen whenever I get in a bad mood and it cheers me right up, cool we all saw the same band incarnation within a week ! Also saw the band a little more that a year later with Steve Vai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:27 pm 

Little_Sally wrote:
Plook wrote:

Late show
110 min, Aud, B

115 min, Aud, B+

120 min, Aud, B+

That was the show and I gots the free download from somewhere and listen whenever I get in a bad mood and it cheers me right up, cool we all saw the same band incarnation within a week ! Also saw the band a little more that a year later with Steve Vai

Only time I saw Frank. I remember Ike was wearing a football jersey.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:27 am 

You have got to remember more than that !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:31 pm 

thanks for the suggestion - great one!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:57 am 

This is the stadium the concert was held in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WACA_Ground

Did FZ play in such huge venues? In front of 24.500 people?... Strange to think of it - hearing the clear sound of the recording, to me it "hears" like a smaller, more intimate place...