Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:44 pm 

A former producer found a couple of Price Is Right episodes from the fifties that he had.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:47 pm 

Who did Frank think was the most talented musician he hired? Vinnie maybe?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:48 pm 

fz wrote:
...well, there's a difference between people who are good on
record and good on tour; some of the best musicians i have
played with are not especially fun to tour with

the only one that I think that fits into both categories and
comes off with good marks is george duke, he's great in the
studio and he's great on the road...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:47 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
fz wrote:
...well, there's a difference between people who are good on
record and good on tour; some of the best musicians i have
played with are not especially fun to tour with

the only one that I think that fits into both categories and
comes off with good marks is george duke, he's great in the
studio and he's great on the road...

Makes sense, but I didn't think of him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:36 am 

Who are Alice and Barry Warshaw? (Mentioned in artwork for FZ Meets the MOP)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:24 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Barry Warshaw is associated with Southwest Industries, Inc. with the role of President. Barry Warshaw has 2 known relationships including Alice Warshaw and Martha Warshaw and is located in Los Angeles, CA. Source: Florida Department of State last refreshed 11/10/2012

:smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:39 am 

Plook wrote:

Barry Warshaw is associated with Southwest Industries, Inc. with the role of President. Barry Warshaw has 2 known relationships including Alice Warshaw and Martha Warshaw and is located in Los Angeles, CA. Source: Florida Department of State last refreshed 11/10/2012

Whoa Plook gives good trivia too

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:21 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Plook wrote:

Whoa Plook gives good trivia too

Sure....but who are Barry and Alice Warshaw? I didn't post that when I googled their names because it doesn't really tell you anything.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:01 am 

Easy Tiger...ain't no thing but a chicken wing... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:13 am 

Plook wrote:
Easy Tiger...ain't no thing but a chicken wing... :smoke:

I wasn't attacking you.....just pointing out that it really doesn't say what their connection is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:12 am 

I've never been able to work out the bars in Any Way The Wind Blows that FZ reckoned JCB took ages to learn cause it wasn't in regular 4 timing? Anybody?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:28 am 

The last line in the verses, "I'm gonna go away and leave you standin' at the door," etc., have two beats added at the end of the third line, so it goes from 4/4 to 6/4 for one bar, and then that fill that JCB had trouble with that leads into the chorus. It's so simple, I can't believe he had such a hard time with it. But then again, I guess most of the R&B stuff Jimmy played didn't have time changes usually! Thankfully Mundi and Artie were waiting in the wings!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:01 pm 

college rhythm wrote:
The last line in the verses, "I'm gonna go away and leave you standin' at the door," etc., have two beats added at the end of the third line, so it goes from 4/4 to 6/4 for one bar, and then that fill that JCB had trouble with that leads into the chorus. It's so simple, I can't believe he had such a hard time with it. But then again, I guess most of the R&B stuff Jimmy played didn't have time changes usually! Thankfully Mundi and Artie were waiting in the wings!

I see, ta la

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:05 pm 

a pretty cool, and wholey unexpected, thing happened, Gail actually answered my questions! they weren't featured on the 'gz seys' section of zappa.com or anything but hey, what can you do? i guess not enough was revealed.

Quote:
What is the story behind the title Where We Ever Really Safe In San Antonio? Being a resident of SA myself I've always wondered about this. I know it was recorded here but do you have any other info? Was security lacking that night at the ol' Majestic Theatre or what? No. Nothing to do with security. Everything to do with closed minds and criminalization of youth culture. Some of those minds were in the Mayor's office at the time. ssing into law - things like arresting people for wearing obscene t-shirts such as bearing pictures or rpresentations of Black Sabbath - oscene by virtue of someone having decided what they recorded was obscene so therefore images of them on a shirt would be fineable and could result in detainment by law enforcement officals. This was being proposed by the Mayor of San Antonio at the time - 1985.whcih, if I recall correctly, would ba

What is the real story behind the photo used on the original pressing of The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life? Why was the picture deleted and why wasn't a replacement picture used instead? FZ was not happy with the final cover concept. I think it was easiest to handle it this way because he was on tour at the time of the release.

I know Xmas came up a few times in Frank's conceptual continuity going back to a Xmas tree being featured on the original cover of We're Only In It For The Money (and even further than that) all the way up to Xmas Values from CPIII. With this in mind, what was Frank's opinion on traditional Xmas pop music? Do you recall any favorites? I never asked and he never volunteered.

gz's words are in pink, just like in the original email.
question # 1 was garbled (see pic at source) and i reordered it the way i think it should have been. the answer still cuts off rather abruptly, though you get the gist of it. i threw in that question about the Best Band You Never Heard cover to get a more thorough answer than what the standard, 'the picture was used without permission' story. the Chrismas question was asked because i asked Gail these questions in November and Chrismas season was in bloom and i was just curious. though it took her about 4 months she actually got back to me and i'm pretty happy and appreciative.

source: my email http://i43.tinypic.com/aey1ae.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:06 am 

This is now up on GZ Sez along with the question about Jan Van Vliet and the Trout Mask reissue mentioned in another thread.