Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:32 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Zappa would have peaked in 2012...

December 21, 2012, to be specific!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:49 pm 

I don't think there's any discernible peak to any of his career. People will say the Mothers were the best and some proclaim CPIII as a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:27 pm 

Rahdley wrote:
What was the high point of his career, all things considered. Lets hear some opinions. Im thinking about it.

Some would say when the MOI were at their peak.

Some would say when he broke his leg and focused.

Some would say with the White Album

Some would say the Roxy era

Soem would say the Sheik Yerbouti

Others Joe's Garage

Some think YAWYI

Still others go with the '88 Band

And finally the Yellow Shark people will make their case.

:smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:55 pm 

Plook wrote:
Rahdley wrote:
What was the high point of his career, all things considered. Lets hear some opinions. Im thinking about it.

Some would say when the MOI were at their peak.

Some would say the Roxy era

Soem would say the Sheik Yerbouti

Others Joe's Garage

Some think YAWYI

Still others go with the '88 Band

And finally the Yellow Shark people will make their case.

:smoke:

Some would say when he could sing like Neil Sedaka.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:32 am 

Plook wrote:

Interesting suggestions from tongue in cheek 8) Many jazz-inclined fans could go along with the first one, although Zappa would probably furiously disagree that the werewolf leg hair era was the high point of his career. Fillmore East is an even less likely candidate, if that's what you mean by the White Album.

Yes, some would say he could dance, and some would say he could sing like Neil Sedaka.

This is hard to pin down, my two bits is that he gained experience while losing some naïve charm and existential intuition through the years - at least I feel there's an element of win some, lose some along the way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:26 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
Plook wrote:

Interesting suggestions from tongue in cheek 8) Many jazz-inclined fans could go along with the first one, although Zappa would probably furiously disagree that the werewolf leg hair era was the high point of his career. Fillmore East is an even less likely candidate, if that's what you mean by the White Album.

Yes, some would say he could dance, and some would say he could sing like Neil Sedaka.

This is hard to pin down, my two bits is that he gained experience while losing some naïve charm and existential intuition through the years - at least I feel there's an element of win some, lose some along the way.

I say the FE album only because at the time it was so huge, man people were talking about that thing and virtually no air play and not TV, pure word of mouth...that was big doins I think the forum members underrate this part of his career and its over all effect on his making it big enough to do what he did...just thinking out loud... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:37 am 

Right, good loud thinking, Plook 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:11 pm 

Plook wrote:
I say the FE album only because at the time it was so huge, man people were talking about that thing and virtually no air play and not TV, pure word of mouth...that was big doins I think the forum members underrate this part of his career and its over all effect on his making it big enough to do what he did...just thinking out loud... :smoke:

While Fillmore East - June 1971 was the Flo & Eddie era's top seller (it charted in the US Top 40 and went Gold in Australia), it was by no means "huge", nor did it sell anywhere near FZ's largest selling titles like Sheik Yerbouti, Apostrophe ('), Over-Nite Sensation, Joe's Garage, Act I, etc.,...

-------------------------------

And to answer the thread question: I would say somewhere between 1972-1979...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:39 am 

Sometimes your an idiot, that album did a great job of spreading the word on FZ and maybe it was not a big seller since people would bring albums to your house back then or lone them around, but in LA everyone new about that album and it was considered more of a comical statement and cutting edge comentary for things that were being said on it.

This album was a huge breakthrough and was instrumental in propeling Franks career to the next level... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:45 am 

In Hammersmith London, February 18, 1979 during the early show performance of Inca Roads.. guitar playing doesn't get much better than this!

(Hi again everyone btw :P )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:23 pm 

timm0 wrote:
In Hammersmith London, February 18, 1979 during the early show performance of Inca Roads.. guitar playing doesn't get much better than this!

Timm0! How the hell are you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:10 pm 

tweedle-dee wrote:
Sometimes your an idiot, that album did a great job of spreading the word on FZ and maybe it was not a big seller since people would bring albums to your house back then or lone them around, but in LA everyone new about that album and it was considered more of a comical statement and cutting edge comentary for things that were being said on it.

This is coming from a perpetual idiot.

tweedle-dee wrote:
This album was a huge breakthrough and was instrumental in propeling Franks career to the next level... :smoke:

On a minor level it was. But generally speaking his entire catalogue at that point "propelled" his career to the next level...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:39 am 

You know not what you say, you were not there... :smoke:

See this is your problem, instead of saying "I did not know that, now I understand"... and be done with it and move on, you stretch all credibility and try to twist it up until somehow you think you made yourself look right...

This is why you are known for half truths and outright lies and it reeks of anti social and psychopathic behavior…you’re a wreck, we tried to help, but you just will not stop, typical of your type.

You’re the guy that ends up doing something Bad, because you have brainwashed yourself that it is good.

What a sad, sad existence…we hope you get real professional help someday... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:57 am 

Plook wrote:

See this is your problem, instead of saying "I did not know that, now I understand"... and be done with it and move on, you stretch all credibility and try to twist it up until somehow you think you made yourself look right...

This is why you are known for half truths and outright lies and it reeks of anti social and psychopathic behavior…you’re a wreck, we tried to help, but you just will not stop, typical of your type.

You’re the guy that ends up doing something Bad, because you have brainwashed yourself that it is good.

What a sad, sad existence…we hope you get real professional help someday... :smoke:

Gawd Dayum!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:42 pm 

tweedle-dee wrote:

Considering everything I've discussed with you over however many months now, if this above post doesn't PROVE you're in complete denial about your shit not stinking, that you're THE weasel of all weasels, that you can't admit when you're wrong and that you're a complete and utter fucking idiot, then I think unfortunately, nothing will.

You may now return to your Kingdom of Armchair-Psycho-Babble...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:04 pm 

OK your right... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:06 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
You may now return to your Kingdom of Armchair-Psycho-Babble...

Juh-heezus! Mary & Jo-zuph!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:26 pm 

It's bleed over from other threads.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:47 pm 

Plook wrote:

I think your observations are correct. As a logical expression of the mentality you describe, Disco B[arf] had to reply in stupid self defense, with no regard for the interesting thread that he's about to ruin.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:30 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
Plook wrote:

I think your observations are correct. As a logical expression of the mentality you describe, Disco B[arf] had to reply in stupid self defense, with no regard for the interesting thread that he's about to ruin.

Thank you DC I appreciate it...I can't seem to shake the varmits around here, they follow you around the forum... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Timm0! How the hell are you.

Good thanks!
See the forum is still functioning as normal ! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:23 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:

An insightful point, DC, I sometimes wonder if I would have become such a Zappa fan if I had heard his later, more jaded (at least they seem that way to this young man) albums like Broadway the Hardway, Sheik Yerbouti or Bongo Fury (all great albums in their own regard) before his earlier, cynical but wildly silly albums such as Freak Out!, Hot Rats, or We're Only in It for the Money.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:26 pm 

timm0 wrote:

Hi timm0, how have you been? Any news from Aspy?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:06 pm 

DC Boogie wrote:

So I'm supposed to be all submissive and let tweedle-dee spew his BS? I don't fucking think so...

And I find it hilarious that assholes like you let him get away with it but scapegoat me as the bad guy. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 pm 

So, I guess it's settled then......Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy from Bongo Fury is the peak.
Great! Does Gail know?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next