Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:40 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
So this is a must see for a Yes fan RK? I Mean would it be worth the money for a non Yes fan to spend and perhaps become a Yes fan? I don't know doodly-squat about them except that Roundabout is played on the classics radio stations way to much.Say I was to pick a Yes album on youtube and listen to it all the way through,which one would you recomend I start with?

Fragile is probably the 'primer'. :smoke:

Fragile is great! I'd say its heavy on keys as many Yes albums are. Relayer is my fav, cuz it has my fav Steve Howe playing on it - Sound Chaser.
If I had to pick an overall best for starters, I'd say The Yes Album. You probably know All Good People and would at least recognize Starship Trooper. Yours is No Disgrace, Perpetual Change and A Venture have been favorites for decades for me.
Lastly, it has The Clap, Steve Howe's signature piece.
This tour isn't a must-see. Who knows if there will ever be another must-see Yes tour, but we do get Steve Howe, Chris Squire and Alan White together, which is plenty good enough for me.

Last edited by The Forum Killed Arkay on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:44 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Lastly, it has The Clap, Steve Howe's signature piece.

Not to be confused with Frankie's! :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:44 am 

Hahahahahahaha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:03 am 

This tour isn't a must-see. Who knows if there will ever be another must-see Yes tour, but we do get Steve Howe, Chris Squire and Alan White together, which is plenty good enough for me.

Thanx RK and PIB. The tour sounds like any Stones tour.You never know when they'll come around again.
First things first though,so,The Yes Album 1st and or Fragile? Decisions,decisions.I'm more a guitar orienated rock listener,would that make a difference on poppin my Yes cherry as to which album I should start with and which one has Steve Howe's signiture piece on it? Is that The Yes Album or another?
:D
Edit: If you can't tell FZ's The Clap from all other music,what the heck are you doing here! Haha! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 am 

Yes's (Steve Howe's, not FZ's) The Clap is an awesome instrumental, imo. Solo guitar, catchy rhythm, happy-go-lucky melody, high on the instantly-likeable scale.
Go listen to both The Yes Album and Fragile. There's no reason not to.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:48 am 

Agreed! And then wash it down with 'Close to the Edge'! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:03 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:

Agreed! And then wash it down with 'Close to the Edge'! :mrgreen:

Yes,we have a plan.Yes we do and Yes I'll follow through and get back to you too. Thanx y'all! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:30 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
So this is a must see for a Yes fan RK? I Mean would it be worth the money for a non Yes fan to spend and perhaps become a Yes fan? I don't know doodly-squat about them except that Roundabout is played on the classics radio stations way to much.Say I was to pick a Yes album on youtube and listen to it all the way through,which one would you recomend I start with?

Fragile is probably the 'primer'. :smoke:

Go for it, Yes is a great band...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:35 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Go for it, Yes is a great band...

Go for..... the one? :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:58 pm 

I've been getting into the remastered Close To The Edge...can't get enough Siberian Khatru
I've only got Close To The Edge & Fragile (and Going For The One on vinyl)
I wanna get all the early YES though....and maybe Tales & Relayer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:49 am 

Wow you are missing out on some great music, starship trooper,is agreat song to start with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:38 pm 

Yes's (Steve Howe's, not FZ's) The Clap is an awesome instrumental, imo. Solo guitar, catchy rhythm, happy-go-lucky melody, high on the instantly-likeable scale.

Listened to The Yes Album all the way through.I liked it,but that ain't Rock and it's not Roll it's ....white boy music! Lotza treble! Half way through I put on headphones and that was a lot better.I think it's the singer and not the songs.That guy's voice really stands out and makes a few songs better.But not all the time.It was rather distracting at some points.Liked the whole and give it 3 outta 5 stars.Now on to Fragile.

I probably just lost some allies here,but I likes some greasy bass in my music! 8) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:44 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Listened to The Yes Album all the way through.I liked it,but that ain't Rock and it's not Roll it's ....white boy music! Lotza treble! Half way through I put on headphones and that was a lot better.I think it's the singer and not the songs.That guy's voice really stands out and makes a few songs better.But not all the time.It was rather distracting at some points.Liked the whole and give it 3 outta 5 stars.Now on to Fragile.

I probably just lost some allies here,but I likes some greasy bass in my music! 8) :mrgreen:

Kap your setting off my Crapdetector... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 pm 

Plook wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Kap your setting off my Crapdetector...

Yours! You always stick up for the old disco stuff.Ya must of been a LA rollerblader. Bet you used to in line skate too.Big disco ball 'n stuff! Ha! Do a little dance,make a little love,get down tonight,eh bro'? LoL

YES,to me,doesn't like or play the low brown notes.I still like them though.The compositions are great,I'd prefer Ray White,NMB,Bob Seagar to sing 'em is all,the guy that sings on The Yes Album sounds like Neil Young on helium.I had to put on the headphones 'cause of all the cats coming over!
You mean that Crapdetector,right Plook? :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:02 am 

To qoute Fmous band"...in this business you have to be able to sing in a high voice..."... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 am 

Plook wrote:
To qoute Fmous band"...in this business you have to be able to sing in a high voice..."... :mrgreen:

So basically your saying every boy in The Vienna Boys Choir is a potential rock lead singer? HA! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:10 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
So basically your saying every boy in The Vienna Boys Choir is a potential rock lead singer? HA! :lol:

Well, Jon Anderson suits the band better than Leonard Cohen. :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:43 pm 

Yes played in LA two weeks ago. All I was curious about was the song A Venture. It sound good.

http://youtu.be/1WYUsdxWa6c

Can't believe Steve Howe ditched his dual Fender Twins for a Line - 6. I think he's lost some tone there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:18 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Well, Jon Anderson suits the band better than Leonard Cohen. :mrgreen:

No argument here! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:54 pm 

Prince just announced a West Coast tour where he's going to be playing 2 night stands w/ 2 shows per night in intimate venues...

...I'd love to go to all 4 shows here, but I just know it's going to be too expensive. We'll know for sure next week when there are more details...

Apart from that, so far it's only:

July 26 ~ Rush, Rogers Arena

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:01 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Wow you are missing out on some great music, starship trooper,is agreat song to start with.

Yeah, I had them on vinyl, so I know how good they are!
Will be interested in hearing the new remasters
When Yes came to Oz recently they had a new singer
I heard Jon had lost his voice but it musta got better!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:06 pm 

Yes was always a band that I knew (since the late '70's) had a great reputation, and I liked what I heard for the most part but still really never got into them. Kinda like Rush though I've listened to more Rush over the last 10 years than the previous 25. I had Fragile and 90125 (which may not even qualify to hard core fans). I guess I just couldn't relate to Yes like I could to Zappa, Tull, Stones, Rundgren, etc. To each their own.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:29 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Yes was always a band that I knew (since the late '70's) had a great reputation, and I liked what I heard for the most part but still really never got into them. Kinda like Rush though I've listened to more Rush over the last 10 years than the previous 25. I had Fragile and 90125 (which may not even qualify to hard core fans). I guess I just couldn't relate to Yes like I could to Zappa, Tull, Stones, Rundgren, etc. To each their own.

I thought I'd give them a fair try. But your right KU, Yes and Rush never really thrilled me that much. Good musicians and all, they just don't have that goose bump, kick ass that Jeff Beck, Stones, SRV, Buddy Guy, even Alice Cooper kinda' rock does for me. Then there's FZ and no one else can touch him. For me it's like the Steve Miller Band, or Eddie Money, or Journey, they just don't do it for me. Never did, never will. The wow fun factor or something like that is missing for me. I can see why people love them though. Just a matter of taste I suppose. :|

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:46 pm 

April 14 2013 Shuggy Otis with Albert Wing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:33 pm 

The 3 year hiatus is over!!!
The Black Crowes in Detroit April 14th!!!

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 57  Next