Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:12 am 

WHOOOOOOOO FUCKING HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

EAGLE ROCK ENTERTAINMENT and the Zappa Family Trust are pleased to announce the first official release of A TOKEN OF HIS EXTREME, an original program created by FRANK ZAPPA for TV. Recorded on August 27, 1974 at KCET in Hollywood, A TOKEN OF HIS EXTREME features Frank Zappa with five incredibly talented band members for this extravaganza of live music. The line-up exists of Frank Zappa guitar, percussion, vocals; George Duke keyboards, finger cymbals, tambourine, vocals; Napoleon Murphy Brock sax, vocals; Ruth Underwood percussion; Tom Fowler bass; Chester Thompson drums. The Program, as edited and thoroughly tweezed & produced by FZ for Honker Home Video includes these delights: The Dog Breath Variations/ Uncle Meat, Montana, Earl Of Duke (George Duke), Florentine Pogen, Stink-Foot, Pygmy Twylyte, Room Service, Inca Roads, Oh No, Son Of Orange County, More Trouble Every Day, A Token Of My Extreme. Stereo Mixes Produced by Frank Zappa with Kerry McNabb at Paramount Studios, 1974. Mastered by Bob Ludwig, Gateway Mastering, 2009

Huge pic of front cover here...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8 ... A1500_.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:21 am 

A great DVD and a welcome release (ha!), but the front cover sucks (thanks for posting the link anyway, Jaypfunk).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:23 am 

Caputh wrote:
A great video, But the front cover sucks (thanks for posting the link anyway Jaypfunk).

Who gives a fuck what the front cover looks like? IT'S A DVD. You're not going to stare at the cover, you supposed to watch the disc. Retart.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:25 am 

I thought you, dearest heart.
You posted the link.
It's not important, anyway...
Glad to know I'm a "retart", though - does that really mean I'm the reincarnation of Mary Magdelene after all?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:12 pm 

That is very good news for another "retart". I always hated the Palladium '81 interruptions on the Dub Room Special from day one when it was released on video tape. To combine the KCET footage with the '81 footage was similar stupid as the d'n'b overdubs on CWR&TJ. Especially having to watch and hear Chad's drumming in between the other stuff is extremely annoying. So having this available officially in its original form (and with remastered audio) should be very satisfying.

Th.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:22 pm 

Caputh wrote:
A great DVD and a welcome release (ha!), but the front cover sucks (thanks for posting the link anyway, Jaypfunk).

In a little white box?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 pm 

Even if it makes me a "retart," I can't help but express some dissatisfaction with the cover, but it is what's inside that counts... And what's inside is gonna blow me away!! :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:35 pm 

Thinman wrote:
That is very good news for another "retart". I always hated the Palladium '81 interruptions on the Dub Room Special from day one when it was released on video tape. To combine the KCET footage with the '81 footage was similar stupid as the d'n'b overdubs on CWR&TJ. Especially having to watch and hear Chad's drumming in between the other stuff is extremely annoying. So having this available officially in its original form (and with remastered audio) should be very satisfying.

Th.

yeah that pesky Chad Wackerman... he's terrible!! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:43 pm 

Now were cooking with gas... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:26 pm 

FINALLY! :twisted:

I guess this will keep us busy until the ostensible release of The Roxy Performances DVD and other related extravagant bonuses later this year...

Thanks for letting us know.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:32 pm 

Better cover.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:18 am 

that bootleg cover is fucking horrible!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:23 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
that bootleg cover is fucking horrible!

Admit it...that photo at centre-top, of Cross-Eyed Frankie, is pretty cool!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:13 am 

Hooray, something new to get excited about!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:44 am 

Excuse me for having such a silly idea, and voicing said silly idea, but wouldn't it be interesting, just interesting, if, since many have been complaining about posthumous art (examples: Finer Moments, Understanding America and this new video release here), the ZFT included with a new project one of those... what're they called..? FAN-ART CONTESTS?
I apologize for the brief instance of logic. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:41 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Caputh wrote:
A great video, But the front cover sucks (thanks for posting the link anyway Jaypfunk).

Who gives a fuck what the front cover looks like? IT'S A DVD. You're not going to stare at the cover, you supposed to watch the disc. Retart.

Why not watching the content of the disc using a DVD-player or similar device? Staring at the disc itsself might be as boring as staring at the front cover.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 am 

Thinman wrote:

Th.

That's how I have always felt about the '81 interruptions. I actually can't watch them it's that bad (at least it is to me). There's something really gay about those 80's line ups too. Muscle men in shorts, screaming and wailing :| :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:10 pm 

Cool, looking forward to this. Will pre-order as soon as it's up(not from Musictoday) Have had the bootleg VHS for 15 yrs or so. IMO this performance and band is better than the Roxy band/show. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:16 pm 

Great band. A no-brainer.

As for Roxy, assuming it's ever released, I don't know how it's going to stand up to all the hype from the fan base (and ZFT) all these years. I don't think anything could. I'd like very much to be wrong though....

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:47 am 

I hope they keep the Montana solo intact.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:35 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Caputh wrote:

Yes, it's absolutely true that one should never judge the proverbial book (or in this case, DVD) by its cover, but I'm looking at this, thinking about what the cover artist attempted to achieve and then realising: it's not working for me. It's not even comparable to what, say Cal Schenkel himself has been capable of.

Good thing it's being released though. Hopefully the entire Stockholm '73 gig could also be converted to a releasable DVD, with other '73 Ponty era tidbits for possible bonus inclusion (the Australian TV footage, and this, if any tune in full form exists).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:31 pm 

Awesome news! It will make a nice prequal to the Roxy DVD, assuming no further delays. I hope "We Don't Mess Around" gets the official treatment as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:20 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I hope "We Don't Mess Around" gets the official treatment as well.

Gail, did you pick up on that?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:21 pm 

Great News!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:41 am 

Holy Fuck!! I've been trolling through here all morning and then BAM! I come upon this exiting news!!!

YEAH! BABY! YEAH!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next