Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:19 am 

Culture changes with love. Did you think many Dutchmen were in favour of gay marriage around 1985? When civil union came and people noticed the skies didn't tear open revealing eternal blackness, the opinion changed.
The same goes for tobacco use.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:26 pm 

This just in: in Mexico, a guns-for-bicycles programme has just started. If you have a large caliber gun, you may also get a tablet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:13 pm 

Gunman, William Spengler, Shoots 4 Firefighters, Kills 2, in 'Trap' at Webster, NY, Blaze

A man who served nearly 17 years in jail for killing his grandmother set a house and car on fire this morning in upstate New York and then began shooting at emergency personnel who showed up, killing two firefighters, police said.

In all, William Spengler, 62, shot four firefighters, killing two and severely injuring two more after setting his "trap," police said.

An off-duty police officer from Greece, N.Y., who responded to the scene early in the morning of Christmas Eve also was injured today.

"It was a trap," said Webster, N.Y., Police Chief Gerald L. Pickering, "set by Mr. Spengler who laid in wait and shot first responders."

Spengler, who was released from prison in 1998, was found dead at the scene following a shootout with police. He was believed to have killed himself with a bullet to the head.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gunman-shoots- ... d=18055594

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:23 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Gunman, William Spengler, Shoots 4 Firefighters, Kills 2, in 'Trap' at Webster, NY, Blaze

A man who served nearly 17 years in jail for killing his grandmother set a house and car on fire this morning in upstate New York and then began shooting at emergency personnel who showed up, killing two firefighters, police said.

In all, William Spengler, 62, shot four firefighters, killing two and severely injuring two more after setting his "trap," police said.

An off-duty police officer from Greece, N.Y., who responded to the scene early in the morning of Christmas Eve also was injured today.

"It was a trap," said Webster, N.Y., Police Chief Gerald L. Pickering, "set by Mr. Spengler who laid in wait and shot first responders."

Spengler, who was released from prison in 1998, was found dead at the scene following a shootout with police. He was believed to have killed himself with a bullet to the head.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gunman-shoots- ... d=18055594

This just goes to show that we need armed guards in neighborhoods. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:00 pm 

Maybe we should make it a law that people that kill their grandmothers can't own guns.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:15 pm 

In response to Plook who stated

"New discussion we all know it would be a far safer in the US without guns, but the Gun Genie Escaped the Bottle long ago. Lets set aside the fact that the 2nd Amendment was not designed to give people guns, but to give them the ability to battle the Government if they ever needed, intent is everything when it comes to Rights. People I know that own multiple guns have pistols mostly for home defense, shot guns and long rifles for hunting, and at least (1) assault weapon for fighting the big fight they hope never comes."

This nicely sums it up. A chaplain I know said, "we prepare for war, but we more fervently pray for peace."

One thing which almost never comes up in the wake of guys going postal is the probable fact, that many of them are lonely, isolated,
probably sexually frustrated fellows. Certainly many have a screw loose. Perhaps if massage parlors offering sexual relief services were fully legalized in the USA, perhaps some of these lonely, frustrated guys could get a little "relief" and that just might focus their minds and attention on other things, besides causing harm and mayhem.

Mr. Kit
also known as catman_arl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:41 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Maybe we should make it a law that people that kill their grandmothers can't own guns.

Let's not get crazy now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:11 pm 

catman_arl wrote:
In response to Plook who stated

"New discussion we all know it would be a far safer in the US without guns, but the Gun Genie Escaped the Bottle long ago. Lets set aside the fact that the 2nd Amendment was not designed to give people guns, but to give them the ability to battle the Government if they ever needed, intent is everything when it comes to Rights. People I know that own multiple guns have pistols mostly for home defense, shot guns and long rifles for hunting, and at least (1) assault weapon for fighting the big fight they hope never comes."

This nicely sums it up.

No, it doesn't. The 2nd Amendment was created to give people the right to bear arms and protect themselves. Not only from Government but from ANYONE who poses a threat.

Get a fucking clue. :roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:06 am 

catman_arl wrote:
Perhaps if massage parlors offering sexual relief services were fully legalized in the USA, perhaps some of these lonely, frustrated guys could get a little "relief" and that just might focus their minds and attention on other things, besides causing harm and mayhem.

The kind of guy that would go on a mass shooting spree is probably not real worried about whether or not his massage is legal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:07 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
catman_arl wrote:
Perhaps if massage parlors offering sexual relief services were fully legalized in the USA, perhaps some of these lonely, frustrated guys could get a little "relief" and that just might focus their minds and attention on other things, besides causing harm and mayhem.

The kind of guy that would go on a mass shooting spree is probably not real worried about whether or not his massage is legal.

I believe he means if it were easier for isolationist nut to get layed (massaged) their would be less mass shootings.
I'm for better mental background checks.After one of these shootings they alway call them mental cases and there has been alot of indicaters that a trained phycologist (?) would see as a tell tale sign.Plus safety training lessons should be a must and these gun shows are a joke.Any felon can freely get a gun at one. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:54 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
catman_arl wrote:

I believe he means if it were easier for isolationist nut to get layed (massaged) their would be less mass shootings.
I'm for better mental background checks.After one of these shootings they alway call them mental cases and there has been alot of indicaters that a trained phycologist (?) would see as a tell tale sign.Plus safety training lessons should be a must and these gun shows are a joke.Any felon can freely get a gun at one. :roll:

What if we combined the mental check with the happy ending massage, have all the therapists be super hot women in a short skirt with a long white jacket, add some glass's...after the a check up she strips, but leaves the glass's on a little longer and...

Hell everyone would show up for their evaluation gladly...hmmm, I will be right back... :mrgreen:

:shock:

Much better... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:22 am 

:mrgreen: Was it good for you? :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:07 am 

Plook wrote:

What if we combined the mental check with the happy ending massage, have all the therapists be super hot women in a short skirt with a long white jacket, add some glass's...after the a check up she strips, but leaves the glass's on a little longer and...

Hell everyone would show up for their evaluation gladly...

The only problem being that I'm pretty sure this therapy would lead to a dramatic increase in mentally ill, potential mass-murderers. But I suppose every treatment has its downside.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:20 am 

Yoko Ono just put up a photo of John Lennons still blood covered glasses on Twitter...

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=797342

How many more people have to die before our polititians finally grow balls and tell the gun industry and NRA to go fuck themselves? They don't even want mandatory bakground checks on ALL sales, or a database, like ALL drivers have. Cowards.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:02 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Yoko Ono just put up a photo of John Lennons still blood covered glasses on Twitter...

How many more people have to die before our polititians finally grow balls and tell the gun industry and NRA to go fuck themselves? They don't even want mandatory bakground checks on ALL sales, or a database, like ALL drivers have. Cowards.

Not that I'm against gun control and I hate to say it, but that is the second time Yoko has used that photo. The first time was to sell a record - "Seasons of Glass". I can't say it made her more endearing IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:44 am 

Caputh wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

Not that I'm against gun control and I hate to say it, but that is the second time Yoko has used that photo. The first time was to sell a record - "Seasons of Glass". I can't say it made her more endearing IMO.

Those glasses were also on display at the R&RHoF for about 8mos. along with other bits of Lennon's possessions. Also recall wreckage from Otis Redding's airplane. What a downer.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:26 pm 

I wasn't aware that she used them as a publicity stunt prior to this. That definitely distracts from the bigger, more important message.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:32 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I wasn't aware that she used them as a publicity stunt prior to this. That definitely distracts from the bigger, more important message.

With Yoyo Ono you just never know the reasons behind any decisions.imho

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:39 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:31 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Thats the message right there. The number of people killed each day because of guns is tantamont to the Holocaust, except, the perpretrators not only get away with it, it's a pofitable business for them. Cowards hide behind guns.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:01 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

For that to be correct, it must be a worldwide figure, which would represent about 1/3 of gun related deaths since late 1980.

In the US, on average there are 10,000-12,000 gun related deaths annually (and that average has DECREASED since 1993) and about 75% of those are gang-related. Subtracting the gang-related deaths, it's less than 3,000. This pales in comparison to the 35,000+ vehicular, the 80,000+ alcohol and the 400,000+ tobacco related deaths annually...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:20 pm 

Except for those darn Gangstas, only 3,000 have died from guns since 1980.Of those 3,000 they must of been mostly accidents. You know,cleaning the gun with it in your mouth. Admiring the velocity in which a bullet can penetrate one temple and come out the other. Why I bet it's closer to 300,than 3,000 when you figure it that way.Yep,if John Lennon had just moved out of the line of Chapman's practicing his gun control and bullet pattern,he would be alive today.
If you figure it that way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:07 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Except for those darn Gangstas, only 3,000 have died from guns since 1980.Of those 3,000 they must of been mostly accidents. You know,cleaning the gun with it in your mouth. Admiring the velocity in which a bullet can penetrate one temple and come out the other. Why I bet it's closer to 300,than 3,000 when you figure it that way.Yep,if John Lennon had just moved out of the line of Chapman's practicing his gun control and bullet pattern,he would be alive today.

Same with Sandyhook. There are no legitimate arguments or excuses left for gun supporters after that incident.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:02 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Same with Sandyhook. There are no legitimate arguments or excuses left for gun supporters after that incident.

In your opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:01 pm 

Opinion?

Quote:
The mother, Sherry West, told FOX affiliate WAWS-TV that she was pushing her 13-month-old son, Antonio, in his stroller in Brunswick, Ga., Thursday morning, when two boys – described as about 10 and 15 years old – came up, demanded money and shot them.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03 ... baby?lite=

Whats your opinion jpd?

Our society is becoming far too numb to this entirely avoidable stupidity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 51  Next