Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:41 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Opinion?

Quote:
The mother, Sherry West, told FOX affiliate WAWS-TV that she was pushing her 13-month-old son, Antonio, in his stroller in Brunswick, Ga., Thursday morning, when two boys – described as about 10 and 15 years old – came up, demanded money and shot them.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03 ... baby?lite=

Whats your opinion jpd?

Our society is becoming far too numb to this entirely avoidable stupidity.

My opinion? Don't punish me because someone else misuses something.
My dad, two brothers, and I, all own rifles. We enjoy the skill of marksmanship (and the BANG!). If some other person uses his/her weapon for evil, punish him/her.
I also, personally, don't like the idea of criminals being 100% assured their chosen victims won't be able to protect themselves.
If you disagree with me...that's ok. I won't be out to get you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:09 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
My dad, two brothers, and I, all own rifles. We enjoy the skill of marksmanship (and the BANG!).

Would you shoot someone if they tried to steal your king crimson collection?

I'd only shoot them if they tried to grab Red or Islands. Maybe I'd graze 'em if they stole Starless and LTIA.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:22 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Opinion?

Quote:
The mother, Sherry West, told FOX affiliate WAWS-TV that she was pushing her 13-month-old son, Antonio, in his stroller in Brunswick, Ga., Thursday morning, when two boys – described as about 10 and 15 years old – came up, demanded money and shot them.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03 ... baby?lite=

Whats your opinion jpd?

Our society is becoming far too numb to this entirely avoidable stupidity.

My opinion? Don't punish me because someone else misuses something.
My dad, two brothers, and I, all own rifles. We enjoy the skill of marksmanship (and the BANG!). If some other person uses his/her weapon for evil, punish him/her.
I also, personally, don't like the idea of criminals being 100% assured their chosen victims won't be able to protect themselves.
If you disagree with me...that's ok. I won't be out to get you.

I don't disagree with you. It's weird that where you are from in Canada is in such close proximity to either Michigan or NY, yet regading the use or misuse of guns, it's like worlds apart. I have lots of friends and aquantences who share your hobby of marksmanship or hunting. It just seems that in the continental US, that the responsibility is too great for too many people. Detroit and Windsor are so close, yet so different.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:04 pm 

Take a look at this Real Time death count.

Look at the top one and tell me why anti gun nuts are making so much noise. :roll:

http://www.romans322.com/daily-death-ra ... istics.php

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:20 pm 

I must be pretty boring; I think guns should be legal but tracked as much as is feasible. So I'm for law enforcement keeping gun registries. I'm also for background checks, going forward from now. I think people who have guns for self protection are ok, if they've been screened and have some basic skills. I'm against huge fucking guns in common use. Nothing will solve the problem, but might diminish gun related incidents somewhat over time, if we're persistent.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject: re: gun control
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:40 pm 

disco boy wrote:
... Subtracting the gang-related deaths...

are the shooters in spacebrother's link gang members ¿ either way, how are gang-related homicides, victim or perp, not applicable to the discussion; out of the 14,748 gun deaths in the usa last year, 6 outta 10 were suicides ... subtracting the no-chumps leaves 8,850 murders with 95% or more avoidable

jpd, is it that much of a punishment to give up all your weapons if the result is never having to read a headline about 2 punks shooting a baby in the head

pedro2, all those disease deaths can't be easily reduced with laws, except maybe alcohol & tobacco

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:59 pm 

pedro2 wrote:
Take a look at this Real Time death count.

Look at the top one and tell me why anti gun nuts are making so much noise. :roll:

http://www.romans322.com/daily-death-ra ... istics.php

Now for the first time obesity is killing more than malnutrition. Local also plays a factor. How about a county by county map of how people die. C'mon people. can't we get spontanious combustion rates up? :smurf:

There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
With her hand in the box
When she's on her knees

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:03 pm 

you should never smoke in pojamas [181]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:40 pm 

Statistics don't matter.

It only take one - http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03 ... ence?lite=

http://news.msn.com/us/same-gun-used-in ... ef-killing

Post subject: Re: re: gun control
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:04 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
disco boy wrote:
... Subtracting the gang-related deaths...

are the shooters in spacebrother's link gang members ¿

Well, I don't know, that depends on the link? And it doesn't help that tweedle-dumb's info is usually and almost entirely unreliable.

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
either way, how are gang-related homicides, victim or perp, not applicable to the discussion; out of the 14,748 gun deaths in the usa last year, 6 outta 10 were suicides ... subtracting the no-chumps leaves 8,850 murders with 95% or more avoidable

Because I believe that since gang-related firearm deaths are more than obviously to be expected due to the particular lifestyle they lead, that not including those stats in the overall statistics makes more sense and gives you more of a realistic view, especially considering that I don't believe firearm related deaths qualify as an epidemic, compared to the REAL epidemics like vehicular, alcohol & tobacco related deaths. Though, despite most of the gang-related deaths are due to gang members killing each other, some of the deaths are admittedly innocent civilians. So if you want to include those particular stats in the overall statistics, I guess that's fair enough...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:33 pm 

It's almost payday!

Post subject: re: gun control
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:41 pm 

totally committed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm 

I can always use an extra one of these in my wallet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
jpd, is it that much of a punishment to give up all your weapons if the result is never having to read a headline about 2 punks shooting a baby in the head

or, my car. To prevent another hit & run.
or, my cutlery. To prevent another stabbing. (or, another Lorena Bobbitt !)
or, air travel. To prevent another 9-11.
or, voting. To prevent another war-mongering president (your choice of who).
or, cold medicines. To prevent meth-heads.
or, sex. To prevent criminals being born.

Short answer....Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:54 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

pedro2, all those disease deaths can't be easily reduced with laws, except maybe alcohol & tobacco[/color]

I can agree to that , up to a point , slime.

We have an obesity problem here as well as some other spots on this globe.
We also have almost 1/2 of the population here on some type of government assistance. The most common being food stamps.

Statistics will probably also show ( I'll do some checking ) that the poorer among us , are affected by obesity more.

I know we can't tell people what to eat and not eat , but you would think that the government , that promotes a healthy diet , would at least regulate what the users of food stamps could buy.

Then again , some liberal will pipe in about being insensitive to other people's wants and needs. My feeling on that ?
If they are using the taxpayer's money to stuff their faces , why should I , as a taxpayer , worry about their feelings when they clearly don't care about their own.

About the death clock and gun control... If those of you that are anti-gun and so worried about preserving human life at all costs , why don't you have a problem with 275,000 + abortions that have happened since the 1st of the year ??

That number is huge compared to homicides that a gun was used in .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:38 pm 

Maybe we should use the guns to shot the fat ass's off people... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:18 pm 

The poor exist because of the greed of the rich.

7-11 and Burger King is what you get. When people are very young, they learn these horrible habits that have been foisted upon them by corporate America. It's like this: Make 'em dumb, then blame 'em for all the problems. Offer them only pepsi or coke and then tell them they are fat. Promote having babies in the magazines at the check-out line. Promote material wealth at every opportunity. Dangle carrots in front of the have-nots. Get 'em addicted to stuff. Keep knowledge away from the would be parents. Convince 'em to have more kids even though they are stupid, dumbed down losers who eat too much of the crap that has been forced into their neighborhoods. Crap they were born into. With little alternative in sight.

Some lowly junkie or foodstamp-whore is not the reason that we live in a hellhole.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:57 pm 

Juxtapose this, from page 1:

Plook wrote:
Pope Jim wrote:
People in the late 18th Century were notoriously bad spellers. They were also, for religious and moral reasons, horribly overdressed. Many of them wanted the right to bare their arms, i.e. roll up their shirt sleeves and expose a little more skin. But some bonehead at at the constitutional convention changed the spelling and here we are.

Sorry Pope, this is one of those times when there is no laughter, my opinions on children and protecting children are well known on this site and this discussion deals with issues that may or may not bring our country to a possible Civil War...

I will allow a mulligan since the topic was Gun Control, but we all know what is driving this conversation and it is one of the most despicable, truly evil acts we know of.

with this, from page 5:

Plook wrote:

Double standard? You make the call.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:52 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
The poor exist because of the greed of the rich.

7-11 and Burger King is what you get. When people are very young, they learn these horrible habits that have been foisted upon them by corporate America. It's like this: Make 'em dumb, then blame 'em for all the problems. Offer them only pepsi or coke and then tell them they are fat. Promote having babies in the magazines at the check-out line. Promote material wealth at every opportunity. Dangle carrots in front of the have-nots. Get 'em addicted to stuff. Keep knowledge away from the would be parents. Convince 'em to have more kids even though they are stupid, dumbed down losers who eat too much of the crap that has been forced into their neighborhoods. Crap they were born into. With little alternative in sight.

Some lowly junkie or foodstamp-whore is not the reason that we live in a hellhole.

I agree, but how to break the cycle seems to be the answer and how to do it is still the question. :|

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:01 pm 

Bet ya $2 in foodstamps that corporate welfare far outweighs aid to the working poor/unemployed.

There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
With her hand in the box
When she's on her knees

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:19 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Bet ya $2 in foodstamps that corporate welfare far outweighs aid to the working poor/unemployed.

Can't argue with that, but what to do is the question again. :|

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:08 pm 

Pope Jim wrote:
Juxtapose this, from page 1:

Plook wrote:
Pope Jim wrote:
People in the late 18th Century were notoriously bad spellers. They were also, for religious and moral reasons, horribly overdressed. Many of them wanted the right to bare their arms, i.e. roll up their shirt sleeves and expose a little more skin. But some bonehead at at the constitutional convention changed the spelling and here we are.

Sorry Pope, this is one of those times when there is no laughter, my opinions on children and protecting children are well known on this site and this discussion deals with issues that may or may not bring our country to a possible Civil War...

I will allow a mulligan since the topic was Gun Control, but we all know what is driving this conversation and it is one of the most despicable, truly evil acts we know of.

with this, from page 5:

Plook wrote:

Double standard? You make the call.

I must not have been ironic enough… :|

We are making all these crazy statements about gun control that can never be achieved...simply put a logistical impossibility, unless you change the minds of the guns owners. It will requirer nearly 100% public cooperation to make any plan work, that is not any where on the horizon... :idea:

Trying to regulate diet is so intrusive it doesn't even pass the constitutional laugh test... :idea:

My comment was intended to link the two ridicules ideas and show the irony, guess that did not work so well... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:31 pm 

No more excuses...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:11 am 

"...massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in a 154-bullet barrage that took less than five minutes..."

"Authorities also recovered a National Rifle Association certificate, seven of Lanza’s journals, drawings that he made and books from the house, including an NRA guide to the basics of pistol shooting."

"At the school, Lanza fired the 154 rounds from a Bushmaster .223-model rifle and the final bullet from a Glock 10mm handgun to take his own life, said Stephen Sedensky, the chief prosecutor investigating the shooting.

Police recovered nine 30-round magazines for the Bushmaster that Lanza took to the school. Three of the magazines had a full 30 rounds still in them."

"Lanza used a Bushmaster .223-caliber XM15-E2S rifle with a 30-round magazine to shoot the victims at the school, authorities have said.

Authorities also found the Glock 10mm semiautomatic pistol and a Sig-Sauer 9mm semiautomatic pistol in the school, one of which Lanza used to kill himself. In the car outside, police found a shotgun.

All those weapons were legally owned..."

http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news/20 ... -says?lite

Any sort of reasoning in support of guns at this point are excuses made by fools. It could be your kid or loved one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:12 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Any sort of reasoning in support of guns at this point are excuses made by fools. It could be your kid or loved one.

And I'd still blame the killer, not the method.
Only a fool would think a ban on guns would stop the killer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 53  Next