Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:19 pm 

tweezers wrote:
Did he remix "In the Land of Grey and Pink" or some other Caravan LP?

Yes he did

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:08 pm 

Hmmm. I really like that remaster. But then again I really like Caravan.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:25 pm 

ringo wrote:
If Steve Wilson has expressed an interest in remixing JG, or indeed any Zappa album the ZFT should jump on it. That guy is a fucking genius when it comes to carefully remixing. His work on Tull's Aqualung and Thick As A Brick was astonishing. I don't normally go in for re-buying stuff but man, its like my ears can reach a whole new level.
frank's original vinyl mix for joe's garage is probably one of his finest efforts, every instument & vocal nuance right there, clean & dry, even on a mediocre stereo; a remix would be unnecessary

sw sounds talented, did he do the thick as a brick vinyl remix ¿ or the reissue with taab2 ¿ been meaning to get a copy of one or the other ... can he deliver a decent product without the original artists/composers around to supervise & approve the end result ¿

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:10 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
ringo wrote:
If Steve Wilson has expressed an interest in remixing JG, or indeed any Zappa album the ZFT should jump on it. That guy is a fucking genius when it comes to carefully remixing. His work on Tull's Aqualung and Thick As A Brick was astonishing. I don't normally go in for re-buying stuff but man, its like my ears can reach a whole new level.
frank's original vinyl mix for joe's garage is probably one of his finest efforts, every instument & vocal nuance right there, clean & dry, even on a mediocre stereo; a remix would be unnecessary

sw sounds talented, did he do the thick as a brick vinyl remix ¿ or the reissue with taab2 ¿ been meaning to get a copy of one or the other ... can he deliver a decent product without the original artists/composers around to supervise & approve the end result ¿

SW could definitely do it. But I don't see ZFT going that route. Dweezil was heavily involved with the QuAUDIOPHILIAc CD, so I figure that he'd want to handle any future surround mixes too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:29 pm 

the last few posts to this thread seem to have disappeared.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:02 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
the last few posts to this thread seem to have disappeared.

Did they say something bad about Gail? Mine always get canned because she's ruining Frank's legacy! (and promising stuff she never delivers)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:28 pm 

Nah, it happened all over the forum. Maybe a database error or sumthin'.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:06 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

ah.....I've had a few removed...she and I do NOT get along, we've had a few "wars" over the content of what's being released, and things that she SHOULD be releasing (and the methods it's being released)

With a vault as extensive as Frank's, the means to distribute online, and the way 99% of it probably sounds (better than bootlegs) she should be releasing stuff at a rate too fast to keep up with, unless you are independently wealthy, or holding down a second job just for "buying music" cash!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:06 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
The timing is very convenient, and, as usual, there is no announcement to the contrary.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:16 am 

From Jaminbenb's comment I suspect that the "unmoderated Zappa Forum" is a myth and Big Sister is indeed watching us.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:28 pm 

jeddy wrote:
Agreed!
Steve is "the man" right now!
ZFT should definately check him out.

I don't see the need and I think that we're over-evaluating Steven! I like PT and the work they do. I find the rest just egotisitcal drivel!

The reason why some of the music is EVER remembered, is because its "experience" is special to us, and whether some person decides that you hear it coming off your left ear and going into your right ear, or coming from your dick, and out your poop chute ... makes no difference ... your experience is already embebbed into your soul ...

The day that these commercial attempts to make something better start doing this to Beethoven, Bach, or Stravinsky, or PDQ Bach, I might consider its valifity, but until then, this is just another music business scam to get your money ... and I'm tired of it.

AND, Steven's cleaning up of ITCOTKC is NTO any better of an experience in my headphones ... and in fact, it's like it has more Windex, or the glass is cleaner so I can see things better ... well, guess what ... I don't use my eyes to listen to music a whole lot!

I can see it now ... SW is going to remaster Turandot with Renata Tebaldi, and Birgit Nillson directed by Erich Leinsdorf ... and you know what some of those folks that did those things are going to tell you? ... get lost little boy ... you only know 4 tracks! Maybe 8!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:09 pm 

FalseDichotomy wrote:

Dweezil was heavily involved with the QuAUDIOPHILIAc CD, so I figure that he'd want to handle any future surround mixes too.

I have not heard any talk of New Mixes in quite some time, be it two channel or surround sound.
That's not to say they do not exist. Most of us know FZ had created some Quad masters that have
not been released in a modern format. I have a good number of DVD-A and SACD tittles but the industry
is moving in a different direction.

Dweezil did speak in an interview where he was interested in doing surround sound mixes.
Off the top of my head that interview was over 5 years ago.
The demand for DVD-A speaks for itself. I don't know if he ever completed any. I never spoke to him about that.

I would welcome the opportunity to hear more surround sound mixes of FZs works but in giving consideration to today's market,
HD releases may very well be more aligned with downloadable HD sources as opposed to format media such as DVD-A.
As has been previously mentioned in this topic 96khz/24bit is one of several common HD Audio Resolutions.
Gail's commentary had stated they were planning SOME titles in an HD format.
Below are some modern examples of HD releases that are available.

For anyone wanting to test out some Downloadable HD Audio visit HD Tracks.
Their video states there is a free download sampler.
Following are Youtube, Webpage and FAQ links for HD Tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l8xKUjqKOM
https://www.hdtracks.com/
https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file ... gename=faq

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:51 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

How on earth do we choose between "using our eyes and ears" and "read(ing) it and weep(ing)"? Isn't it necessary to use our eyes and ears to decide if it is necessary to weep or not? Yes, we have a choice to decide to accept what is given, or not to do so. However, how does one "read it and weep" without using ones eyes?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:01 am 

dc boogie wrote:
From Jaminbenb's comment I suspect that the "unmoderated Zappa Forum" is a myth and Big Sister is indeed watching us.
it's as unmoderated as it's ever been; gz's tolerance of the shit that goes down here is still pretty high, the per diem allowance for forum administrators is next to nothing ... a few weeks ago someone with ~20 posts started a thread, really nasty, about gail, moon & diva, whipped cream, stage perfomances etc etc, really fucking bad, lasted about a day, 80 or so views and no replies; knew someone else would report it and then it was gone; surprised the op wasn't 'banned' ... can't recall who it was anymore, likely the op was banned without the banned tag applied to the profile

wasn't around for the recent outage & forum-wide loss of posts, it was possibly a hack, or a series of personal attack threads scattered all over the forum, easiest fix is to wipe everything between 2 dates

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:53 pm 

Thanks for the insight, Slime 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:16 pm 

I've been listening to some HD tracks of other artists, and I'm hoping that these ones will sound as great.