Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308 ... 345  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:08 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Are the Monarchs still gathering in Pacific Grove in the numbers they used to? I've heard about a recovery but no details. It's one of the only places that Butterflies migrate to annually. Very cool even as a kid, I used to go there. It's in the middle of Carmel & Monterey.
Fun fact: Pacific Grove was the first place the Zappa family lived when they first came to California in about 1950. And P.G. doesn't have a monopoly on monarch roosting spots: Natural Bridges State Park here in Santa Cruz is also a popular place to see them.

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
So did you eat at The Boars Head? Clint Eastwood, the former Mayors place in Carmel?
You mean The Hog's Breath. It's quite popular with the Jaguar/Botox crowd. Not my speed...

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
How much $$'s is The 17 Mile Drive nowadaze?
According to Wikipedia, it's $9.75. But I'm happy to say I've never paid to get in there. I've always had an in... :wink:

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Have you been to the Monterey Aquarium since the remodel?
No, but I have a semi-interesting story about the aquarium. One time - not long after it opened - I was just wandering around in there. I ended up on the top floor, where I saw an old guy working on the plumbing for something called the Splash Zone.

It was Dave Packard. We had a nice conversation about toilets.

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Give Mrs.M.T.Flycoon a kiss for her B-day, just say it's the Kapt.'s orders! Ha!
Thank you. I will...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:20 pm 

My Aunt Grace Rodgers, used to have the big Victorian house out between Pleasure point and Natural Bridges State Park. Only house around. As A kid I used to play in the tide pools at NBSP. That was way before the Bridge fell. I remember walking across it a lot as a youth. Then some fell and they tried to preserve the rest. You couldn't walk out on it anymore. I heard the rest came down too.
My Aunt Grace used to run the Miss California and Miss America pageant, when it was held in SC, back in the 50's-60's- so we'd go and visit a lot because of her location and all. I learned to surf at Steamer Lane and graduated to Pleasure Point and then discovered Eight Mile up the coast just before you get to the Bonny Doon turn off on Hyw.1 You had to get a key from the artichoke farmer to get through the gate, then pack everything in and out of this beautiful little cove. I think it became part of the Ana Nuevo elephant-sea lion reserve. Had a nice big cave and the waves broke rt to lft looking at them.
At my Aunts house at certain times of the year there were Monarchs all over the place. I'd forgotten all about that until you mentioned it. It was nirvana as a kid! I even met The Duke from Hawaii giving demonstrations there. After her kids grew up she moved up the hill over looking NBSP and you could see the Pleasure Points light house from her place and all of SC, The Boardwalk and on clear days Monterey.
Then came UCSC and they took her property by immanent domain for 1/4 of what it was worth. Nice school and campus, I almost went there, but the rent was too high or driving hwy 17's not an option if you want to live long. Felton's nice but expensive to rent there. I grew up in Los Altos on Pagemill road near Sky-Londa & La Honda. Used to go to San Gregorio & Pescadero beach a lot. Camped at MacDonalds Grove last year for the solar Eclipse. I consider the area home,from hyw.9 to PMR and from Palo Alto-Saratoga. I lived in Bonny Doon for awhile too.
So you must see all the DZpZ shows at The Rio then, eh MFT? 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:40 pm 

1.Built large composter from scrap wood.

2.Bought a new pair of boots.
http://www.theshoemart.com/mas_assets/detail/DOU/2810.jpg

3.Started X-Mas shopping>writing out a shopping list.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:25 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
My Aunt Grace Rodgers, used to have the big Victorian house out between Pleasure point and Natural Bridges State Park. Only house around. As A kid I used to play in the tide pools at NBSP. That was way before the Bridge fell. I remember walking across it a lot as a youth. Then some fell and they tried to preserve the rest. You couldn't walk out on it anymore. I heard the rest came down too.
My Aunt Grace used to run the Miss California and Miss America pageant, when it was held in SC, back in the 50's-60's- so we'd go and visit a lot because of her location and all. I learned to surf at Steamer Lane and graduated to Pleasure Point and then discovered Eight Mile up the coast just before you get to the Bonny Doon turn off on Hyw.1 You had to get a key from the artichoke farmer to get through the gate, then pack everything in and out of this beautiful little cove. I think it became part of the Ana Nuevo elephant-sea lion reserve. Had a nice big cave and the waves broke rt to lft looking at them.
At my Aunts house at certain times of the year there were Monarchs all over the place. I'd forgotten all about that until you mentioned it. It was nirvana as a kid! I even met The Duke from Hawaii giving demonstrations there. After her kids grew up she moved up the hill over looking NBSP and you could see the Pleasure Points light house from her place and all of SC, The Boardwalk and on clear days Monterey.
Then came UCSC and they took her property by immanent domain for 1/4 of what it was worth. Nice school and campus, I almost went there, but the rent was too high or driving hwy 17's not an option if you want to live long. Felton's nice but expensive to rent there. I grew up in Los Altos on Pagemill road near Sky-Londa & La Honda. Used to go to San Gregorio & Pescadero beach a lot. Camped at MacDonalds Grove last year for the solar Eclipse. I consider the area home,from hyw.9 to PMR and from Palo Alto-Saratoga. I lived in Bonny Doon for awhile too.
So you must see all the DZpZ shows at The Rio then, eh MFT? 8)

Wow! Great story K_Kiirk! That's alot for one day. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:41 pm 

coevad wrote:
Wow! Great story K_Kiirk! That's alot for one day. 8)

Ya, I had to drink a lot of fluids and after I was done I had to take a nap. But ya thanks.I hope it was worth all that effort. Whew! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:02 am 

Do you have pictures of the Bonny Doon sign?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:13 am 

BBP wrote:
Do you have pictures of the Bonny Doon sign?

No, but I'll take one for you next time I'm down that way.(It could be years) MentalTossFlycoon would be the one to ask. I believe he lives near Santa Cruz, if not in it. Cletus goes over that way for concerts and stuff, maybe he's got one. I wish I could help BP, but that's the best I can do for now. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:32 pm 

Managed to spectacularly cut my hand while washing up. The glass coffee pot was just falling off the washer, I grabbed at it as it was falling and cut my hand just below the knuckle in the process. My youngest son put a plaster on me and cleaned the kitchen up, but only after taking a number of photos of the kitchen, which he said looked better than in "the Shining". Amazing how much blood can spurt out of one vein.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:55 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Managed to spectacularly cut my hand while washing up. The glass coffee pot was just falling off the washer, I grabbed at it as it was falling and cut my hand just below the knuckle in the process. My youngest son put a plaster on me and cleaned the kitchen up, but only after taking a number of photos of the kitchen, which he said looked better than in "the Shining". Amazing how much blood can spurt out of one vein.

Just hope you did not get a tenden, take care my friend... :idea:

A friend of mine did that many years ago washing a glass...had his hand inside glass broke in haldf and the sharp edge cut thru to the tenden just below the knuckle. Had to go on disability lost a good job was screwed for 6 months. Turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to him he ended up getting a job in the warehouse with an aluminum breaded line company that took over auto racing and he worked his way up to run the LA market he was with them 20 years...side note his daughter was the chick that won Temptation Island.

I to this day do not put my hand in a glass when I wash it... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:09 pm 

Caputh wrote:

I still don't have any feeling in my left middle fingers right side. All from grabbing at a falling glass as I was washing the dishes. The water turned blood red almost instantly. I had cut it just under my last joint on the middle finger. Three stitches fixed it,but I never got the feeling back on the right tip of that finger. NBD. Those little cuts on your hand can bug the doo-doo out of you for weeks! Hope it gets better fast Caputh. Ouch! :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:15 pm 

Caputh wrote:

Careful with that pot Eugene. Everything I know about blood I learned from watching Dexter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:34 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Caputh wrote:

I still don't have any feeling in my left middle fingers right side. All from grabbing at a falling glass as I was washing the dishes. The water turned blood red almost instantly. I had cut it just under my last joint on the middle finger. Three stitches fixed it,but I never got the feeling back on the right tip of that finger. NBD. Those little cuts on your hand can bug the doo-doo out of you for weeks! Hope it gets better fast Caputh. Ouch! :(

I worked construction the better part of 20 years and I always had a nagging hand or finger injury, I bet I cracked, crush, broke every diggit on both hands at one time or another, can't even remember how many fingernails I lost...the one thing I do not miss about construction... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:42 pm 

Plook wrote:
I worked construction the better part of 20 years and I always had a nagging hand or finger injury, I bet I cracked, crush, broke every diggit on both hands at one time or another, can't even remember how many fingernails I lost...the one thing I do not miss about construction...

Remember those commercials for some kinda dish soap that went "you wanna shake hands with a Lobster?" and or " Pinecone." You'd see a woman trying to hide her lobster hands then a close up shot. Yikes! Those are my hands from working in construction and throw in some of the other 'tosisis/arthritic crap I can't spell right now too. It's hard not to talk with my hands too, so I sorta keep 'em down if I haven't had some sun for awhile. Kid's and drunks going "What's wrong with your hands mister?" Well, the kids anyway ,the drunks use a more colorful description. So I guess crackin' your knuckles when your young really is bad for your hands. That and a hammer, skill-saw, chisels, nails, chainsaws, and all the tools of pain. I'll never do construction again....I can't! :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm 

Caputh! We must be related!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:18 am 

So your hand looks like Frankenstein's monster's`, too?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:45 am 

Caputh wrote:
So your hand looks like Frankenstein's monster's`, too?

People line up from miles around to gaze in horror at my hands! I hear them whisper, "Is that a Pinecone or is that a Lobster claw? Maybe it's Frankenstien's hands and he was possessed by them!" Rather rude don't you think? Right in front of me face like I'm on a traveling Freak Show or something...hmmm :idea:
Maybe I should start charging admission!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:21 am 

I'd pay! (as long as I can compare)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:58 pm 

Caputh wrote:

Shop and compare? Tryin' to make it real, compared to what? :wink:

Filmed a band (Enfusion) at Laughs Unlimited in Old Sacramento last night. Made $100 bucks for 2-1/2 hours taping and about an hour in the edit room studio. All they wanted was some set shots to put on youtube and their web page, so it was a lot easier than trying to move around in a dancing crowd. Nice work when you can get it. :D

I just got back from my first read through of the new script and the new character I'm playing for Little Thunder Films. Basically the writer expanded a smaller roll to fit me. Then asked me to "Think Jack Nicholson in Cuckoos Nest. But toned down some." I'm playing a Native American 'Nam vet, in a wheelchair at a hospice, who likes the good looking nurses and can be cuss, but still is a wise & wily sweet old dude. He's sort of a mentor to a younger man. It's a fun part to play and I'm real jazzed about it. I should break both legs with this one! :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:21 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Caputh wrote:

Shop and compare? Tryin' to make it real, compared to what? :wink:

Filmed a band (Enfusion) at Laughs Unlimited in Old Sacramento last night. Made $100 bucks for 2-1/2 hours taping and about an hour in the edit room studio. All they wanted was some set shots to put on youtube and their web page, so it was a lot easier than trying to move around in a dancing crowd. Nice work when you can get it. :D

I just got back from my first read through of the new script and the new character I'm playing for Little Thunder Films. Basically the writer expanded a smaller roll to fit me. Then asked me to "Think Jack Nicholson in Cuckoos Nest. But toned down some." I'm playing a Native American 'Nam vet, in a wheelchair at a hospice, who likes the good looking nurses and can be cuss, but still is a wise & wily sweet old dude. He's sort of a mentor to a younger man. It's a fun part to play and I'm real jazzed about it. I should break both legs with this one! :D

hence the wheel chair

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:02 am 

Major disaster that will hopefully turn out OK in our household today. I awoke this morming to discover Venice in my "secret basement". My wife's computer filled the lagoon with the pleasant sensation of electric shocks.
I rang up a plumber, who came within half an hour to pump the water away; he did a great job and, apparently, the insurance will replace everything in my "secret basement". "Glück im Unglück" (Luck in disaster) as the Germans say (given half a chance). BTW, my wife's computer is working again.

Last edited by Caputh on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:21 am 

I made a birthday cake and didn't injure myself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:18 pm 

In the process of thinking up 200 answers to the all encompassing question of "How ya you doing?" This is usually asked by people who expect the one word answer.

*note to self: Write some stories to memorize and tell to my next grocery cashier.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:32 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
In the process of thinking up 200 answers to the all encompassing question of "How ya you doing?" This is usually asked by people who expect the one word answer.

*note to self: Write some stories to memorize and tell to my next grocery cashier.

How ya doin?
Tickle your ass with a feather?
What!
I said, thundering crashes & nasty weather!

...or something like that, depending on who is asking too. M/F ? Hope that helps. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:36 pm 

BBP wrote:
I made a birthday cake and didn't injure myself.

Yay! Good work Bonny, didn't something happen to you last year or was that the year before? My, my you do have spills and thrills don't you young lady & total ZappaFreak! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:21 pm 

Plook wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Caputh wrote:

I worked construction the better part of 20 years and I always had a nagging hand or finger injury, I bet I cracked, crush, broke every diggit on both hands at one time or another, can't even remember how many fingernails I lost...the one thing I do not miss about construction... :smoke:

A few years ago I walked into the local K-Mart and encountered Cedrick Hardman who used to play defensive end for the 49ers (and starred in Stir Crazy with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder) in the 70's. He was signing autographs and selling photos and shit. Talk about mangled fingers. Life in the NFL is pretty tough.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308 ... 345  Next