Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Carnegie Hall
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:04 am 

So here I am, about 2 years late, just listening to CH for the first (and second) time. It arrived yesterday and blew my mind - absolutely superb. Shows the value of the 'whole gig' experience to my ears.

Ropey packaging (what's with the awful photoshopped Don Preston???), nice looking CDs (arf, arf arf, arf arf arf and arf arf arf arf). Sound quality good enough to justify releasing it. King Kong, Call any Vegetable and Billy the Mountain absolutely killer. The 'code' sequence is impressive!

Does anyone know what the deal was with these double gigs? 7.30pm and 11pm doesn't seem long enough to have two separate shows, but was that effectively what it was, or did the audience stay, basically with a long interval?

My only moan, it would be great to be able to buy this in the UK without having to pay about a 60% additional cost on top of what is already an expensive product. Shame that the only shop authorised to sell Zappa in the UK is run by rank amateurs.

Thanks

Chris

Post subject: Re: Carnegie Hall
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:45 am 

ChrisPaul wrote:

Does anyone know what the deal was with these double gigs? 7.30pm and 11pm doesn't seem long enough to have two separate shows, but was that effectively what it was, or did the audience stay, basically with a long interval?
Same people early show and late show that is why the late show songs ain't the same or close.

Post subject: Re: Carnegie Hall
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:24 am 

I've just listened through this set again, myself- not listened to it abundantly, to date, however; maybe my 4th run through-, last night and this afternoon...great stuff, (I find it) really enjoyable!

I particularly was impressed by a more acute noticing/appreciating of Flo & Eddie's recanting of the 10 (or so) aspects to the code- if I've took in the story/mythology correct there; wasn't generally following it that closely-, the speed and variance in their delivery of that piece, as well as being in unison, was brilliant. :smoke: