Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:35 pm 

I think that's because of Zappa's incredibly hands on approach at producing.

I consider it in the trio of the 'Zappa anthropology albums'- along with 'Permanent Damage' and 'An Evening With.."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:37 am 

I've got em all except the two mid-70s suckjobs (Unconditionally and Bluejeans), but it was Trout Mask that first got me interested, so I've got a soft spot for that one - my discovery of that album was a turning point in my musical life. It is a tad sloppy though - Decals is actually a bit more musically sophisticated IMO. I'm a little surprised how many people like Shiny Beast the best - I think Ice Cream for Crow is much better. I'm also a big fan of Clear Spot - his best "normal-sounding" album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:29 pm 

Trout Mask Replica and Safe as Milk are all I have right now. I have to say I think I prefer Trout Mask right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:34 pm 

I don't like any of it. So please carry on and I will not come to this thread again.

Post subject: Re: Trout Mask Replica
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:10 pm 

Today, in my e-mail... (CD shipping May 6 ...so far!)

Dear People of Earth,

Suddenly! Easter 1969, FZ played the Final and Ultimate version of TROUT MASK REPLICA for Beefheart and his Magic Band!
We're happy to present this to you now in all it's Replicant Glory! Now on CD. (Shhh! Coming soon on Vinyl!!)
Available now for PRE-ORDER. What's in your Easter Basket?

xxx,

the barfies

p.s. BIG LEG EMMA / WHY DON'TCHA DO ME RIGHT Vinyl 7" Single

Post subject: re: trout mask replica
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:18 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
... the Final and Ultimate version ...
as opposed to the semi-final & embryonic version ¿

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:26 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Dear People of Earth,

Suddenly! Easter 1969, FZ played the Final and Ultimate version of TROUT MASK REPLICA for Beefheart and his Magic Band!
We're happy to present this to you now in all it's Replicant Glory! Now on CD. (Shhh! Coming soon on Vinyl!!)
Available now for PRE-ORDER.

"What's the meaning of this?"
Uhh, every Beefheart fan should already have this on CD. I didn't realize until now that the Reprise CD is OOP. $20 + MusicToday's outrageous shipping fees? No thanks. You'd think this would be part of the UM deal with a normal price in retail stores.
The only way I buy this again is if there's a bonus disc of the ONE gig that the actual Trout Mask Band played - The Aquarius Theatre '69. John French and band members talk of it in pages 468-472 of "Through The Eyes Of Magic". Gig was recorded by Frank. It's in the vaults.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:09 pm 

Seconding the motion!

Yes, I need to hear about some extreme augmentation to this release before I consider forking over any cash to Music Today. It may be out of print but it was a pretty big seller and in print for over twenty years and second hand copies are easy to latch onto. Nothing the matter with the previous release either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:35 pm 

I received the e-mail today. Yes, I am also wondering what's the difference between this release and the one I already own?

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:45 pm 

Remastered?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:34 am 

Yeah, remastered. But th one I bought back in the 90s sounds OK. I will listen to it again to see if it has flaws, but if it doesn't I may not bite I loved the Bat Chain Puller release last year, but there was new stuff....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:00 am 

I agree with Fred Zappelin and Twentysmallcigars in terms of draw to (re)buy, especially as it's being commissioned via MusicToday, as opposed to more widely (i.e., in the UK, be that via Barfko direct or G&S, that's likely to translate to a £20-25 price tag).

Remastered and considered decent I'll probably acquire at some point down the line, if not imminently. Bonus material- that live recording sounds like a prime candidate and would, on paper, be sweet- may well elevate this in priority/desire for me. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:11 am 

Maybe Decals will be next?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:08 pm 

What?!? The Aquarius Theater show was TAPED by ZAPPA? News to my nose! Can this be verified?

To my ears, the existing cd sounds DARN GOOD, but up against my white label promo vinyl copy (yes, a 1053) the guitars are less distinct - on the vinyl I am able to distinguish the guitars more succinctly...hard to describe, but there is a slight smearing effect that blends the guitars together on the cd.

An analog remaster along the lines of the Zappa releases would be appreciated. A 2nd cd of instrumental mixdowns would be a Godsend! I have the Trout House / Grow Fins box set, but the actual Whitney Studios tracks would rarely leave my cd player.

My dreams came through once before with the discovery of the Pink Floyd/Zappa Interstellar Overdrive 'Amougies' discovery...the Aquarius tapes are a close, close 2nd! My fingers are growing extra knuckles, they're crossed so tight!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:23 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
"What's the meaning of this?"
Uhh, every Beefheart fan should already have this on CD. I didn't realize until now that the Reprise CD is OOP. $20 + MusicToday's outrageous shipping fees? No thanks. You'd think this would be part of the UM deal with a normal price in retail stores.
The only way I buy this again is if there's a bonus disc of the ONE gig that the actual Trout Mask Band played - The Aquarius Theatre '69. John French and band members talk of it in pages 468-472 of "Through The Eyes Of Magic". Gig was recorded by Frank. It's in the vaults.

Did not know this! Haven't read all the way through John French's book yet. By the way, have you guys seen the price of that on amazon.com?? Outrageous. Apparently a paperback reprint in coming later this year.

But yes, if Frank recorded that '69 Magic Band concert it must come out!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:38 am 

scabdates wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:

My book is in the basement and I will forget to look it up so will post now, but I don't remember it this way at all. All it sez, I believe, is that Frank was there, roaming around with his movie camera, maybe his little portable audio? I never got the feeling that this legendary show was seriously documented in any way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:37 am 

scabdates wrote:
Haven't read all the way through John French's book yet. By the way, have you guys seen the price of that on amazon.com?? Outrageous. Apparently a paperback reprint in coming later this year.

A great read, and it's cheaper here --

http://www.gandsmusic.com/BeefBooks.htm

But I'd wait and see if the paperback edition has been corrected for typos and edited slightly + given an index, which is sorely missed in the first edition.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:25 pm 

brainpang wrote:
scabdates wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:

My book is in the basement and I will forget to look it up so will post now, but I don't remember it this way at all. All it sez, I believe, is that Frank was there, roaming around with his movie camera, maybe his little portable audio? I never got the feeling that this legendary show was seriously documented in any way.

You're right, my bad. It doesn't state in the book that FZ recorded the gig :oops: , just says he was watching and enjoying from the wings. Who knows if Dick Kunc or anyone else in the crew recorded this. Anyone in the taper community know if this show was recorded stealth and out there? Someone should ask Travers about this.

Just listened to TMR(Reprise CD) all the way through the other night and it still sounds amazing. I don't think there's anything that needs to be brought up in the mix on this album. It's perfect the way it is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:16 am 

Oh well, a reissue of the abum is still cool news- albeit on the ZFT narrow distribution network, itunes aside-, and hopefully they'll have unlocked-achieved something sonically with the recording/s that provides a better or at least alternately appealing sound from what's come before (much like they did with several of the Zappa re-releases last year that, arguably, didn't need 'upgrading' and were a bit of a pleasant surprise, in most quarters, for it and/or what was achieved with their remasters). 8)