Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Legal usage of FZ image
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:02 pm 

Hi guys. So, uh, anybody know the legal parameters for using FZ's image in promotion of a tribute show? I'd imagine it's a strict no-no given consensus interpretations of The Law, but I was just, umm, curious.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:19 pm 

Probably best not to use it if you're in the US
If the show is any good you shouldn't need to use it for promotion
If the show is ordinary you're less likely to get the thumbs up from Dweezil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:49 pm 

I'll say up front I have no idea. But I think that if you had a personal photograph that you had taken and was not owned by anybody else, then maybe. But then you get into the thing where there might be a presumption that the official ZFT are endorsing said performance when they don't. So I dunno.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:43 pm 

Why not ask Gail? :wink:

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:33 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:

But it sounds like he wants to actually use it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:50 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:

try asking Gail or the ZFT reps...let me know how much it cost to get an answer! Even my lawyer doesnt get an answer from them!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:08 am 

dear messrs. holdemxpert and giacomelli the younger:

i am dr. quentin r. denameland, manager, bills & exchange at the foreign remittance department of the wells fargo bank international llc of the united states of america, one of the largest international banks in the world, and writing this letter to ask for your support and cooperation to carry out a unique and time-sensitive business opportunity in my department

we discovered an abandoned sum of €15,002,120.00 [fifteen million two thousand one hundred and twenty euros] in an account that belongs to one of our nigerian customers who died along with his entire family of a wife and two children in september 2012 in a plane crash trying to fly over the mountains of montana

unfortunately, neither family member nor distant relative has ever appeared to claim the said funds; upon this discovery, myself and other senior wells fargo bank executive kind of guys in my department also discovered the deceased held the rights to approximately 14,621 frank zappa images, have agreed to make business with you and not only release the total amount into your accounts, since no one came for it or discovered said maintained account with our bank, but also transfer full authorization of ownership of the frank zappa images, otherwise all will regrettably be returned to the banks' treasury as unclaimed estate

we have agreed that our ratio of fund allocation will be as stated thus; 49% for you as foreign partners, 44% for us the senior executive types in my department and 6% for the settlement of all local and foreign expenses incurred by us and you during the course of this business

to commence this transaction, under u.s. law, we require you both to immediately send me the nominal sum €372,820.00 [three hundred and seventy two thousand eight hundred and twenny euros] plus $7.00 [seven united states dollars] shipping & handling, to enable us to file a letter of claim to the appropriate departments for necessary approvals before the transfer of funds and fz images can be made

note also, this transaction must be kept strictly confidential because of its nature

i look forward to receiving your prompt collective response

dr. quentin r. denameland
wells fargo bank international llc
west continental regional office [wcro]

82-419 lake chad crescent
maabuja, nigeria
telex: [051] 100419011 0914z n¥×$ttlžžx ×c
tel: +234 : 70 40 277 811; 70 40 555 818 ext 419

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:20 pm 

Giacomelli the Younger wrote:
Hi guys. So, uh, anybody know the legal parameters for using FZ's image in promotion of a tribute show? I'd imagine it's a strict no-no given consensus interpretations of The Law, but I was just, umm, curious.

you can use my avatar,,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:03 pm 

Calvin's right.

Just take a photo of a cd cover of one of your Zappa cds.
Say it's for personal reasons to visually catalogue your collection.
use it for your band show promotion and video the show.....for your own personal reference.

No money is being charged for your show? right?

Then burn down the hall where you performed and destroy all evidence that you
were even there.

Then go home and weep like a little girl.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:22 am 

Ever heard of Fair Use of copyright material?

Quote:
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.

The term fair use originated in the United States. A similar principle, fair dealing, exists in some other common law jurisdictions. Civil law jurisdictions have other limitations and exceptions to copyright.

Fair use is one of the traditional safety valves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use