Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:47 pm 

schvanzbass wrote:
I became a dad.

Congratulations! I don't want to scare you but it's not going to get any easier from here on out. Some irreplaceable times too, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:45 am 

Don't worry mate you'll love it, it's a way of life......

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:25 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Good luck, I cold turkeyed 5 years or so back after a 30 yr. off and on habit. Everything is better now, tastes, smells, etcetera. Don't miss it a bit. Hell, pots better than cigs man. Once you got a couple a years in it just stays easy, so there's that too. The saved $$'s do really add up too. Now you've got yourself a really good reason to stop right now. :wink: 8)

If I could find a connect, I'd start pot instead lol Be a weekend toker! But I've only been in VA for 2 months now and haven't had much free time.

Maybe I should track down that white kid at pizza hut that has dreadlocks :smoke:

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:25 am 

System down for maintenance over at DZW. I hope they're not trying to fix the unbroken again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:50 am 

coevad wrote:
System down for maintenance over at DZW. I hope they're not trying to fix the unbroken again.

They're formatting a new language to better understand Trendy Gary speak. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:16 am 

Not possible, Kiirk. try again.

I got free compost from a local high-school today.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:32 pm 

coevad wrote:
Not possible, Kiirk. try again.

I got free compost from a local high-school today.

Anything is possible and why are the kids giving you shit? Are you layin' down some new rules on 'em or something else they don't like!?! :wink: :mrgreen:

Spent about an hour at the quad on UCD campus watching some Native American dancers at a Pow-Wow. Pretty cool watching the story of the earth and man and the spirit world as interpreted by the dancers. 8)

Tonight it's Tai food and The West Nile Ramblers. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:10 am 

Exhaust pipe fell off yesterday - 850 fucking Euros. With the flood in my cellar that makes 1500 Euros disaster money this month. Perhaps I should apply for emergency economic aid :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:09 pm 

Good lord what kind of car do you drive? Sounds a little spendy for an exhaust job.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:59 pm 

Sounds like the entire exhaust system. Do you live in an area with a lot of speed bumps?
(We used to have that problem frequently because of the large distance between the wheel axes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:12 pm 

A Catalytic Converter alone could run $300-$800...how old is this jalopy?

:smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:49 am 

It's an Opel (GM) Vectra, about 10 years old. We live in a place with roads that, in some cases, have not changed since the Weimar Republic. Quaintly nostalgic though this may be, it fucks up your car. I think I'm being ripped off the garage too, but there's not much I can do about it, as I delivered the car up to them and then they rang me up and gave me a quote.
I don't really have the time or the energy to pick the car up and compare prices with the exhaust hanging off.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:37 am 

a buddy of mine is a mechanic, he says your car is the same as a Saturn l series. Look on the web site ;on line auto motive, a complete exhaust is 144 pounds, your car was made in England correct? even if this is diesel, with labor, the price they quoted you is a rip. call him on it or don't you dare in Germany? I understand you just need it done but don't get screwed. By the way maybe buy a german car, in Germany. Over 40 years ago I bought a Taunus, they were only imported into the us in 1961&62 I took it to a vw dealer to work on it and a german mechanic laughed at me and said you live in the us buy a us car, or a vw. don't let em take advantage of you, good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:25 am 

Thanx for the tips BRAVO - I bought it in Germany though. And they make them here too. It used to be a completely German firm but then got bought up by GM. They call 'em Vauxhalls in England.
It's a tricky situation as they already have the car and can just refuse to give it to me if I start moaning about the price (they have enough parking space). Ask your pal what one would have to pay for two sections of the exhaust that actually run into the motor, plus a bit of metal that attaches those two sections to the bottom of the car and has to be soldered on. I couldn't find anything on the net but then I'm not very mechnically minded.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:47 am 

Go to : onlineautomotive.com.uk then go to products and click on the info for your car, they only show Vauxhall as the manufacturer but that is your car and you can at least check the prices, they have all the parts listed. Jeeze with all the money you german employees make I thought you would be driving a Bentley.. just kidding. The vw gulf is a great car they are going to export that model to the states this year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:15 am 

I have looked at prices here too and you're right. The most it should cost is 399 Euros (with labor). But the legal situation in Germany is such that there's not much you can do. I suppose I could fuck 'em off on Facebook a bit - apparently that sometimes works. And you're also right about VWs - much better cars - but more expensive here!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:26 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Go to : onlineautomotive.com.uk then go to products and click on the info for your car, they only show Vauxhall as the manufacturer but that is your car and you can at least check the prices, they have all the parts listed. Jeeze with all the money you german employees make I thought you would be driving a Bentley.. just kidding. The vw gulf is a great car they are going to export that model to the states this year.

I like those VW Gulf's. You know why they named it a Gulf don't you? When they go on sale in the states their adds will say you can just back up to the Gulf of Mexico/Texaco and fill her up! :mrgreen:

It sounds like Caputh lost or cracked the manifold too. That's labor intensive work as it goes into the engine from underneath and sideways, if I recall the Opel exhaust system right. Don't the Opel's have a solid body's too, similar to a Porches?

I'd bet Caputh has muttered this under his breath numerous times standing beside his car."Opel,you hot little bitch!" :wink:
The price still sounds high to me also, unless it is a solid body. If the exhaust was hanging down or dragging it's not a solid body and your getting half assed screwed with that price. Imho.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:46 am 

I could always try my mother in law's tactic -which actually works occasionally; write to the firm and question the price rather firmly. Although in this case, morally speaking, I'd rather try BRAVO's; i.e. shout at the bastard and threaten to beat him up :wink:
Flakes!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:48 pm 

I went to the eye doctor today for an exam. Both eyes are getting worse, especially the left one. Should have my new reading glasses in about a week. :shock:

Bought 9-CD set of Beethoven's complete string quartets for $2.00 -- so overall, life is still good. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:40 pm 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
I went to the eye doctor today for an exam. Both eyes are getting worse, especially the left one. Should have my new reading glasses in about a week. :shock:

Bought 9-CD set of Beethoven's complete string quartets for $2.00 -- so overall, life is still good. :mrgreen:

Glad to hear it. I thought I had Car Talk on there for awhile. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:53 pm 

FalseDichotomy wrote:

Time for me to see the eye guy too. Lennon or Elton style sir? The Birds style, please sir, like Roger Maguinn & David Crosby.
I can't be choosy, my insurance will pay for one prescription every 5 years. Whatever is cheapest/generic and... that's all folks! :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:04 pm 

Helping my Mom getting through day-by-day....my Dad passed away April 14th after a long illness and it's been so very hard on her. Inbetween trying to help do the obit (she sent it in today), getting the services ready for next Friday, and Mom having to pick up Dad's ashes today,(gorgeous urn) it's been rough. He was a hard-working, family man who loved to tinker around the house and work on cars back when he was in good health. We are forever in debt to the workers at the Extended Care center who made his last days as comfortable as possible. Mom and I were there at the end to see him off....he is very much missed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:19 pm 

sorry to hear that Dove,, a dear friend of mine passed away on that same day, layout today, services tomorrow,,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:24 pm 

dove_grey wrote:
Helping my Mom getting through day-by-day....my Dad passed away April 14th after a long illness and it's been so very hard on her. Inbetween trying to help do the obit (she sent it in today), getting the services ready for next Friday, and Mom having to pick up Dad's ashes today,(gorgeous urn) it's been rough. He was a hard-working, family man who loved to tinker around the house and work on cars back when he was in good health. We are forever in debt to the workers at the Extended Care center who made his last days as comfortable as possible. Mom and I were there at the end to see him off....he is very much missed.

Ah poor Dovey, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is and it never gets easier. Remember all the good times, that's what they're for and let the rest pass. It sounds like you made his life better too. He was a lucky guy to have your mom and you to see him through life and beyond. Just that would make most of us happy at the end of the beginning. Very sorry for your loss Dove.

edyrukidng wrote:
sorry to hear that Dove,, a dear friend of mine passed away on that same day, layout today, services tomorrow,,

Sorry to hear about your friend edyrukidng. I've lost my share too. Never gets easy either. :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:26 pm 

I'm very sorry for your loss, Dove. And hang in there, Edy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310 ... 350  Next