Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 pm 

That's awesome to hear how great the show was Disco Boy. I still haven't seen him live "in the flesh" but I've heard enough live shows and seen enough live DVDs to know he can kill it when he's ON!

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:49 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Thinking about going to see the Residents. Am a bit put off by the fact that I prefer this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcOG0jLg2RE

to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ldUCMA_qo

I've seen both Snakefinger and The Residents a number of times (including the 13th Anniversary shows when Snakefinger played with the Residents. Both acts were amazing, but in totally different ways. Snakefinger was more of a traditional "rock show" although twisted. You could actually drink and dance to a Snakefinger gig. The Residents are a full sensory overload experience. Its definitely something that one must sit down and absorb, and some of it won't even hit you till hours or days later. While I could never see myself actually buying or listening to another Residents CD, I will always try to see them live whenever they come to my area.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:26 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I saw him on a late night show a while back, with I assume the same band. He rocked, no doubt!

You should've went to one or all of the 3 Welcome 2 Chicago shows last year then! :wink:

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
I was almost literally eye level with him in the GA seating front row

Don't look him in the eye or make eye contact. He don't like that and even has it written in his contracts. :roll:

I think he's lightened up a bit since then. :wink:

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Glad you guys liked it, Prince, when preforming is awesome to the max. :D 8)

PenguinInBondage wrote:
That's awesome to hear how great the show was Disco Boy. I still haven't seen him live "in the flesh" but I've heard enough live shows and seen enough live DVDs to know he can kill it when he's ON!

Damn straight! :twisted:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:31 pm 

16 months ago, when Prince last played Vancouver during his Welcome 2 Canada tour, he played a mostly-hits setlist at Rogers Arena. This is what most people expected him to do since it was an arena concert and that he hadn’t played here since 2002. However, when Prince returned to Vancouver to open his 9 city, 34 show Live Out Loud tour over the past two nights for 4 shows at the intimate 1,144 capacity Vogue Theatre, things were different. VERY different. He's done intimate venue tours before but this time, Prince not only recruited a new backing-band, 3rdeyegirl (consisting of Hanna Ford on drums, Ida on bass & Donna Grantis on guitar) but for the first time, comprised a tour-theme of his rarely played rock-oriented material. Prince is obviously known for his pop, funk, R&B & soul styles. But considering his catalogue of nearly 40 albums, I’d say about 20% or less of that material would qualify as rock. So I knew this tour was going to be a treat for hardcore fans, which it was essentially designed for.

Show #2:

I arrived really early at about 9:15pm since all tix sold were GA and found a relatively short line-up. Other fans started chatting it up with me and one girl, who I had to literally calm down a few times because of her excitement, was one of the lucky fans who managed to score one of the cheap tickets from Save On Meats (*see below description) that were released just a few hours beforehand. We sat together in the front row seating slightly left of centre. I didn’t want to go into the GA pit in front of us because despite being a bit closer, since the floor curved upwards the further back you were, I figured the view would be virtually perfect. And once Prince and Co. hit the stage at 11:45pm (after turning the house lights off and then on again FIVE times over a 15 minute period), it was! I was literally eye level with him!

They opened with a ballad called The Breakdown, the first of several new tracks performed. Prince was seated stage right and sang and played keys on the song with a translucent partition-like set-up, with only his shadow visible for anyone who wasn’t positioned at the very front of the GA pit. Then came the bulk of the show, which was ROCK N’ ROLL to the max! Prince strapped on his guitar, which looked like a cross between a Gibson SG and a 335 and launched into Endorphinmachine with 3rdeyegirl, kicking off the most exciting part of the show! As many know, Prince doesn’t solo often but holy fuck, he was KILLING it. Just about every track that followed he either soloed his ass off or let Donna take a solo as well - a very generous move. Nearly half the set was apparently material from their upcoming and tentatively-titled album, Plectrum Electrum. Some would say that playing that much newer material was a risky move and I agree, but it didn’t matter because again this show was for hardcore fans (I can’t emphasize this enough)! I Like It There from 1996’s Chaos & Disorder, was extended for probably 10 minutes with many different jams and even dialogue from Prince. I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man was rearranged into what could best be described as a mid-tempo grove funk rock track, as was Let’s Go Crazy during the first encore. And so much so that they sounded as if Hendrix was being channelled from the heavens! But THE best moment of the night for me was Bambi. This song is the PERFECT choice for this line-up to perform. Hanna’s husband came out and stood behind her drum kit (complete with 3 bass drums & no riser) with a cowbell to smash the shit out of it in time with the song! The first encore wait was a bit annoying because it lasted nearly 15 minutes but was well worth it because Dreamer from 2009‘s Lotusflow3r was executed to perfection. The second encore track ended the show and included the only major hit Prince and 3rdeyegirl performed on this night: Let’s Go Crazy. Which is exactly what everyone did!

Show #4:

For whatever reason, the line-up last night was longer than the first night, but then again, I got there 15 minutes later last night. Nevertheless, I scored a good 2nd row seat, this time over on the right centre. I actually was talking with a fan beside me who was wearing an original Lovesexy tour shirt from the first time Prince played here in 1988. He told me about how he met Martin Gore of Depeche Mode after their show here in ’05 at the Granville Room across the street. Lucky bastard got to talk with him for 2 hours. Anyway, after show #2 started just after 11:30pm, which was surprisingly almost on time, I sensed this show was going to be special. And I was eye level with him again!

While about 2/3 of the setlist was the same for both shows (as well as both early shows), which I didn’t mind much because it fit so well with the rest of the material, the jams & solos differed and were just as good if not better. Concentrating on new material, Prince again demanded that we sing along with him for the chorus of Screwdriver, shouting, “I’m your driver…and you’re my screw”, as well as with the chorus to 2Y2D (“2 young…2 young 2 dare“). The instrumental ballad Liathach started off delicately but then turned into a crescendo of power chord emotions just dripping off each of them. The only negative aspect of the night was once Guitar kicked in, Donna’s main riff, was way under-mixed, whereas, Prince was way over-mixed. But no one seemed to care as the energy level at this point was off the hook! This tune didn’t have any sound issues with it in show #2. The most shocking part of the night was in the middle of I think it was I Like It There, when Prince actually attempted to CROWD SURF on stage left…only the fans weren’t providing enough leverage. So he thrust himself back on the stage and went over to the stage right and then successfully started to CROWD SURF on his back for about a minute before security grabbed him back up on stage. Fucking unbelievable! I could be mistaken but don’t think he’s EVER done that before. I’m watching this unfold just about 20 feet in front of me and in complete disbelief. :shock: They covered Crimson And Clover which included an instrumental snippet of Manic Monday by The Bangles - which Prince actually wrote for them. But the most interesting cover of the night was The Cars’ Let’s Go, which I didn’t even recognize until the second verse. Prince would’ve been slaughtered if he hadn’t gotten everybody to sing, “I love the night life baby”, multiple times throughout the choruses. But he did. Soon after, he brought a chick up on stage and serenaded her during, When We‘re Dancing Close And Slow. And of course, she just had to kiss him before she left. And just like show #2, Bambi was again THE highlight for me. I just can’t get enough of this song from this line-up! The only encore given on this night, was a mini-medley from Dirty Mind and Controversy that consisted of Party Up / Let’s Work and ended with a very rockin’ version of U Got The Look.

After show #2, it was hard for me to imagine that Prince could top it and I was actually convinced he wouldn’t…but he (they) DID. And despite no backing vocals (apart from fans singing along), horns & almost no keyboards/synths, pianos or hits, Prince & 3rdeyegirl put on some of, if not, THE best shows I’ve ever seen. KILLER songs. KILLER band. And KILLER solos (he even gave Ida one too!)! I think my favourite line from both shows was, “Are you ready for some lip-synching?!” “Everybody else is doin‘ it!” Which pretty much says it all, doesn’t it?! He is Prince and he is funky (and ROCKIN’)! And he knows it!

Unfortunately, every professional critic review of the first two shows were REALLY bad (oddly enough, the last two shows haven’t been reviewed). They kept complaining that too many non-hits were played and there was too much jamming going on. They should‘ve probably done their homework. :roll: And despite admitting that the shows were probably on the short side (about 100-105 minutes each, minus the encore waits), this was such a rare event for Prince and his fans, it didn’t matter that much to me, especially because it may not ever happen again. IMO, if you haven’t seen Prince live, you haven’t endured the pinnacle of what a live concert experience really is. It’s that simple. If tours hits your town. GO. And if anyone tells you Prince can’t rock or play guitar, or solo like a motherfucker, tell them to go listen to Poison for comfort!

Lastly, when the tour was announced and tickets went on sale less than a month ago, with most markets priced between $200-$250 before fees, NONE of these 4 shows were sold out (and several in other cities they still aren’t). But since I knew that beforehand and that these types of shows primarily appeal to hardcore fans, I was fully expecting some sort of discount to happen. And sure enough, over the weekend, 2 for 1 deals started and that’s when I jumped on it. And then the evening of shows #1 & #2, the owner of the Portside Pub in Gastown, where the tour launch party was the night before, who also owns (*) Save On Meats Downtown, was given 200 tix in total to sell for both late shows for a minimum donation of $50 per ticket with all the proceeds going to a charity of Prince’s choice. Also, many fans complained that since they already paid full price, that they should receive tix to the equivalent amount of shows that they bought full price for. The ones that did, got their wish, but with a stipulation of a $5 donation to a charity of Prince‘s choice. But the problem was that no everyone knew about these deals. So, some of us were literally telling fans in line who paid full price to take advantage. They did and went to the box office right away. And not surprisingly, scalpers were ALL over the fans who paid full price and picked up additional tix essentially for free. Whereas, before these deals, scalpers were barely touching these shows. And because of the above, this brought all the shows to capacity.

Oddly enough, no merch was sold.

Here are the setlists from all 4 shows:

Show #1:

The Breakdown . .
Endorphinmachine . .
Screwdriver . .
She's Always In My Hair . .
Liathach (instrumental) . .
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man . .
Guitar . .
Plectrum Electrum . .
Fixurlifeup . .
I Like It There . .
When We're Dancing Close And Slow . .
Bambi . .
2Y2D . .
Cause And Effect . .

Let's Go Crazy incl. Frankenstein interpolation .

Boom / Stratus (as BoomStratus) .

Show #2:

The Breakdown . .
Endorphinmachine . .
Screwdriver . .
Guitar . .
Plectrum Electrum . .
Fixurlifeup . .
I Like It There . .
Bambi . .
2Y2D . .
Cause And Effect .
Dreamer . .

Let's Go Crazy incl. Frankenstein interpolation

Show #3:

Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad? . .
Endorphinmachine . .
Screwdriver . .
Guitar .
Plectrum Electrum incl. Power Of Love (instrumental) intro .
Fixurlifeup . .
I Like It There . .
Bambi . w/ Joshua Welton (cowbell)
2Y2D . w/ Joshua Welton (back vox)
Cause And Effect . .

Let's Go . .
Crimson And Clover
. .
Sign O' The Times .

Show #4:

The Breakdown . .
Endorphinmachine . .
Screwdriver . .
Guitar . .
Let's Go . .
Crimson And Clover incl. Manic Monday (short instrumental interpolation) .
Plectrum Electrum incl. Power Of Love (instrumental) intro .
Fixurlifeup . .
I Like It There . .
Bambi . .
2Y2D . .
Cause And Effect .
Party Up / Let's Work . .
U Got The Look .

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:32 pm 

Sounds freakin' awesome DB! I'll be sure to see him next time around here. Glad you had a blast and very cool set list, thanks for posting them. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 am 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:37 am 

I picked up a floor seat for Black Sabbath at the LA Sports Arena. The show is Sept. 3rd. Tony, Geezer, Ozzy and drummer Brad Wilk(from Rage Against The Machine) is the current line-up. Stay healthy and clean guys!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:37 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Sounds freakin' awesome DB! I'll be sure to see him next time around here. Glad you had a blast and very cool set list, thanks for posting them. :D

It definitely was! :twisted: And thanks for reading and commenting on my review. It's much appreciated. I worked on it for quite a long time.

Actually, he's playing in your neck of the woods next week, my friend. :wink: But unfortunately, the 4 shows there are sold out. However, try craigslist or similar sites. You might be able to find some fans who need to sell their tix because they can't go...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 pm 

True dat, I'll check it out. I'm going to see Bobby Martin with Ike and Ray and some local boys on the 29th so I was saving some bread for that. Damn timings bad and both are opposite ways from me. If I can squeeze it in I'll go fer sure, per your recommendation. Great review man! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:19 pm 

Waiting for the Jim James (from My Morning Jacket) show to start

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:34 pm 

ZPZ at the ROXY!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:11 pm 

coevad wrote:
ZPZ at the ROXY!

Just got back, I've heard there's a new tour without any N. Ca. shows. I'll have to check it out.

I bet ya ol' Meglos Bill/ Little Sally will go to the Roxy shows just to heckle DZ about his free downloads. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:07 am 

Set list from The Love Of Frank show with alumni,Robert "Bobby" Martin, Ike Willis and TWF Ray White.

88 BAND INTRO

1. Sharleena...Sustain last note of "Send my Baby Home to, me, ee, ee," ->

2. Doreen..."I want you tonight" x8 ->

3. Catholic Girls....Reduce volume, morph in to ->

4. Crew Slut...Sustain end notecount in to ->

5. Fembot... Cue from extended snare roll in to 4 measure of latin 9/8

6. Why Pee...drum fill in to ->

7. Lucille... Total Stop at end of Lucille... FULL BREAK

8. YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS...Total Stop at the end of
"YAWYI"- FULL BREAK

9. TROUBLE EVERYDAY... End of set rap - End on F#m
chord after "that trouble coming every day
END SET

SET 2
1. Zoot Allures...One phrase accented reggae organ
stabs ->

2. Andy...ending in horn vamp 8x ->

3. CAROLINA HARDCORE...FULL BREAK

4. TINY LIGHTS... Drum fill in to ->

5. ZOMBIE WOLF...FULL BREAK

6. FLORENTINE POGAN...Ending horn line to queued
'Chester's Gorilla' Ike starts ->

7.OUTSIDE NOW...FULL BREAK

8.WHIPPING POST....FULL BREAK

9. SOFA#2..Sustain last note, drum fill in to ->

10. ILLINOIS ENEMA...FULL BREAK
END OF SET II

ENCORE
Watermelon

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:36 pm 

Good man Kapt!

8)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:02 pm 

Plook wrote:
Good man Kapt!

8)

Thanx bro'. That's what Bobby Martin was handed along with everyone else in the band, he gave it to me when I asked if I could have a set list. It was that easy. (+I'm such a nice/hip kinda' guy :lol: ) I did thank him for the show via LinkedIn ahead of time, so their was some recognition there both ways instead of just a fan. We talked for quite awhile and he told me some war stories form being a Mother. He's a real nice guy and such a great musician too. I learned how to pronounce Zappanale the right way too! It's not "ale" as we know it like the beer either. Its sounds like "alley" not "ale". He will be there this year too along with Ray and Ike.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:42 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:
Good man Kapt!

8)

Thanx bro'. That's what Bobby Martin was handed along with everyone else in the band, he gave it to me when I asked if I could have a set list. It was that easy. (+I'm such a nice/hip kinda' guy :lol: ) I did thank him for the show via LinkedIn ahead of time, so their was some recognition there both ways instead of just a fan. We talked for quite awhile and he told me some war stories form being a Mother. He's a real nice guy and such a great musician too. I learned how to pronounce Zappanale the right way too! It's not "ale" as we know it like the beer either. Its sounds like "alley" not "ale". He will be there this year too along with Ray and Ike.

Now officially PURPLE with envy

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:37 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Set list from The Love Of Frank show with alumni,Robert "Bobby" Martin, Ike Willis and TWF Ray White.

88 BAND INTRO

1. Sharleena...Sustain last note of "Send my Baby Home to, me, ee, ee," ->

2. Doreen..."I want you tonight" x8 ->

3. Catholic Girls....Reduce volume, morph in to ->

4. Crew Slut...Sustain end notecount in to ->

5. Fembot... Cue from extended snare roll in to 4 measure of latin 9/8

6. Why Pee...drum fill in to ->

7. Lucille... Total Stop at end of Lucille... FULL BREAK

8. YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS...Total Stop at the end of
"YAWYI"- FULL BREAK

9. TROUBLE EVERYDAY... End of set rap - End on F#m
chord after "that trouble coming every day
END SET

SET 2
1. Zoot Allures...One phrase accented reggae organ
stabs ->

2. Andy...ending in horn vamp 8x ->

3. CAROLINA HARDCORE...FULL BREAK

4. TINY LIGHTS... Drum fill in to ->

5. ZOMBIE WOLF...FULL BREAK

6. FLORENTINE POGAN...Ending horn line to queued
'Chester's Gorilla' Ike starts ->

7.OUTSIDE NOW...FULL BREAK

8.WHIPPING POST....FULL BREAK

9. SOFA#2..Sustain last note, drum fill in to ->

10. ILLINOIS ENEMA...FULL BREAK
END OF SET II

ENCORE
Watermelon

That's what Bobby Martin was handed along with everyone else in the band, he gave it to me when I asked if I could have a set list. It was that easy. (+I'm such a nice/hip kinda' guy :lol: ) I did thank him for the show via LinkedIn ahead of time, so their was some recognition there both ways instead of just a fan. We talked for quite awhile and he told me some war stories form being a Mother. He's a real nice guy and such a great musician too. I learned how to pronounce Zappanale the right way too! It's not "ale" as we know it like the beer either. Its sounds like "alley" not "ale". He will be there this year too along with Ray and Ike.

Nice! :twisted:

If I may ask, what were some of those "war stories"?

Btw, the last I checked, he was never a Mother. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:09 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

Thanks, mostly he talked about the hassles of booking and getting paid from prompters over here that made him decide to tour Europe before and after FZ passed. He mentioned some popular places in Germany and The Netherlands where FZ used to like to play. Sweden too. FZ was always more popular over there & had some favorite groupie type places he liked to play and stay at over here. He said, that was the most fun when playing with Frank, when FZ was happy and in his element. That was the gist of that conversation and where he's playing next of course. Any more and I'll tell ya when I see ya. :wink:

Every musician in all FZ's bands are referred to as Mothers. They're all Mothers! What else would you call them? Frank Zappa's band alumni's? He's a Mother just sounds and fits better. imho

Wouldn't you like to be a Mother too? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:22 pm 

Yeah, I get DB's point but agree, if you are a Zappa alumni - you're a Mother in my book.... maybe that's my differentiation: a Mother or a GrandMother! :wink:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:56 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Yeah, I get DB's point but agree, if you are a Zappa alumni - you're a Mother in my book.... maybe that's my differentiation: a Mother or a GrandMother! :wink:

When I used to see FZ play, the announcer at most gigs would always say something along the lines of welcome too__ now here's the Mothers starring Frank Zappa or welcome Frank Zappa and The Mothers! So whether they were in the first MOI or not they're still Mothers. imho.
Even the couple of times I saw the MOI at The Fillmore west Bill Graham introduced them as The Mothers of Invention with Frank Zappa. From then on out it's been The Mothers with Frank Zappa. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:22 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Thanks, mostly he talked about the hassles of booking and getting paid from prompters over here that made him decide to tour Europe before and after FZ passed. He mentioned some popular places in Germany and The Netherlands where FZ used to like to play. Sweden too. FZ was always more popular over there & had some favorite groupie type places he liked to play and stay at over here. He said, that was the most fun when playing with Frank, when FZ was happy and in his element. That was the gist of that conversation and where he's playing next of course. Any more and I'll tell ya when I see ya. :wink:

Thanks! :twisted:

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Every musician in all FZ's bands are referred to as Mothers. They're all Mothers! What else would you call them? Frank Zappa's band alumni's? He's a Mother just sounds and fits better. imho

Wouldn't you like to be a Mother too? :mrgreen:

When I used to see FZ play, the announcer at most gigs would always say something along the lines of welcome too__ now here's the Mothers starring Frank Zappa or welcome Frank Zappa and The Mothers! So whether they were in the first MOI or not they're still Mothers. imho.
Even the couple of times I saw the MOI at The Fillmore west Bill Graham introduced them as The Mothers of Invention with Frank Zappa. From then on out it's been The Mothers with Frank Zappa. :wink:

That's as good of an explanation as I could've imagined. My bad. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:51 pm 

No bad DB, it's all good. But can you guess which country FZ started to play Whippin' Post in and why? For all I know it's an old story, but I asked RM how that got started and he told me. Ever here it? :?:

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:07 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
No bad DB, it's all good. But can you guess which country FZ started to play Whippin' Post in and why? For all I know it's an old story, but I asked RM how that got started and he told me. Ever here it? :?:

I believe You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 2 has the answer... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:54 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

I believe You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 2 has the answer... :wink:

Smarter than the average bear I see! :wink: :mrgreen:

It ain't Helstinky, but two nights from two shows the last being in Germany and some drunk for the second night in a different city kept yelling "Play Whippin' Post, Play Whippin Post!". FZ looked at the guys and asked anyone knows WP ? Well RM loves to sing that song and imho he owns it when he sings it! Good song, like Johnny B. Good. So RM does a little tweedley de bit of WP and FZ sez: "Robert Martin ladies and gentlemen. Take it away Bobby" and the rest of the band joined in. He said that time, along with FZ being happy in Europe, was just a gas to be apart of. Nice man and easy to converse with. Either I was the only one who knew who he was or they didn't care, chicken, whatever, no one came up, so I just rapped a little and listened a lot while he set up. He's big on the details of his set up, the keys , sax, and French Horn must be within easy grasp with room for your rock star leads in there too ya know! Ha! 8) :D

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:58 am 

The Residents, Oslo yesterday. Sort of a guided tour through the band's evolution and history. Great storytelling and fine music, with lots of heavy atonal improvisation from the masked guitarist. The human touch of the aging and matured artists made this show outstanding!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 59  Next