Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:49 pm 

Greater Poop: Is Eris true?

Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.

GP: Even false things?

M2: Even false things are true.

GP: How can that be?

M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:46 pm 

Aldous Huxley: The Ultimate Revolution

Aldous Huxley, author of Brave New World, here discusses influence, controlling the public mind and government.

“There will be, in the next generation or so, a *SPAM* method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by *SPAM* methods. And this seems to be the final revolution.” Aldous Huxley

LISTEN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:23 pm 

Near-death experience

A near-death experience (NDE) refers to personal experiences associated with impending death, encompassing multiple possible sensations including detachment from the body, feelings of levitation, total serenity, security, warmth, the experience of absolute dissolution, and the presence of a light. These phenomena are usually reported after an individual has been pronounced clinically dead or very close to death. Many NDE reports, however, originate from events that are not life-threatening. With recent developments in cardiac resuscitation techniques, the number of reported NDEs has increased. The experiences have been described in medical journals as having the characteristics of hallucinations, while parapsychologists, religious believers and some scientists have pointed to them as evidence of an afterlife and mind-body dualism. According to the 2013 PLOS ONE article by Thonnard et al., near-death experiences cannot be considered as imagined event memories.

Popular interest in near-death experiences was initially sparked by Weiss's 1972 The Vestibule, followed by Raymond Moody's 1975 book Life After Life and the founding of the International Association for Near-Death Studies (IANDS) in 1981. According to a Gallup poll, approximately eight million Americans claim to have had a near-death experience. Some commentators, such as Simpson, claim that the number of near-death experiencers may be underestimated. People who have had a near-death experience may not be comfortable discussing the experience with others, especially when the NDE is understood as a paranormal incident. NDEs are among the phenomena studied in the fields of psychology, psychiatry, and hospital medicine.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:57 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Near-death experience

A near-death experience (NDE) refers to personal experiences associated with impending death, encompassing multiple possible sensations including detachment from the body, feelings of levitation, total serenity, security, warmth, the experience of absolute dissolution, and the presence of a light. These phenomena are usually reported after an individual has been pronounced clinically dead or very close to death. Many NDE reports, however, originate from events that are not life-threatening. With recent developments in cardiac resuscitation techniques, the number of reported NDEs has increased. The experiences have been described in medical journals as having the characteristics of hallucinations, while parapsychologists, religious believers and some scientists have pointed to them as evidence of an afterlife and mind-body dualism. According to the 2013 PLOS ONE article by Thonnard et al., near-death experiences cannot be considered as imagined event memories.

Popular interest in near-death experiences was initially sparked by Weiss's 1972 The Vestibule, followed by Raymond Moody's 1975 book Life After Life and the founding of the International Association for Near-Death Studies (IANDS) in 1981. According to a Gallup poll, approximately eight million Americans claim to have had a near-death experience. Some commentators, such as Simpson, claim that the number of near-death experiencers may be underestimated. People who have had a near-death experience may not be comfortable discussing the experience with others, especially when the NDE is understood as a paranormal incident. NDEs are among the phenomena studied in the fields of psychology, psychiatry, and hospital medicine.

This is the undiscovered country of science, all that is considered spiritual or apparition phenomena, will turn out to be the last key to unlocking the secrets of the universe… :idea:

Understanding this pathway is extremely important to escaping the earthly realm of reincarnation, the Zen Monks go into great detail on how one must traverse from this realm to the next at death and they describe the NDE as is it is today, adding instruction on navigating this pathway… :!:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 pm 

Cool posts here, Mr green genes.

I'm glad there are things man can never comprehend. We would be truly insufferable if we held the key to any real secrets or mysteries.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:13 am 

Thanks, dm!

About Information being beautiful:

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . . .
Wisdom is the domain of the Wis (which is extinct)
Beauty is a French phonetic corruption
Of a short cloth neck ornament
Currently in resurgence . . .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:55 pm 

Asch conformity experiments

During the 1950s, Solomon Asch conducted and published a series of laboratory experiments that demonstrated the degree to which an individual's own opinions are influenced by those of a majority group. Together, these experiments are recognized as the Asch conformity experiments or the Asch Paradigm. The methodology developed by Asch has been utilised by many researchers and the paradigm is in use in present day social psychology. The paradigm has been used to investigate the relationship between conformity and task importance, age, gender, and culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asch_conformity_experiments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA-gbpt7Ts8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:32 am 

Cnidaria

Cnidaria (/naɪˈdɛəriə/ with a silent c – from the Greek κνίδη knide, meaning "nettle", because of their ability to sting) is a phylum containing over 10,000 species of animals found exclusively in aquatic and mostly marine environments. Their distinguishing feature is cnidocytes, specialized cells that they use mainly for capturing prey. Their bodies consist of mesoglea, a non-living jelly-like substance, sandwiched between two layers of epithelium that are mostly one cell thick. They have two basic body forms: swimming medusae and sessile polyps, both of which are radially symmetrical with mouths surrounded by tentacles that bear cnidocytes. Both forms have a single orifice and body cavity that are used for digestion and respiration. Many cnidarian species produce colonies that are single organisms composed of medusa-like or polyp-like zooids, or both. Cnidarians' activities are coordinated by a decentralized nerve net and simple receptors. Several free-swimming Cubozoa and Scyphozoa possess balance-sensing statocysts, and some have simple eyes. Not all cnidarians reproduce sexually. Many have complex lifecycles with asexual polyp stages and sexual medusae, but some omit either the polyp or the medusa stage.

Cnidarians were for a long time grouped with Ctenophores in the phylum Coelenterata, but increasing awareness of their differences caused them to be placed in separate phyla. Cnidarians are classified into four main groups: the almost wholly sessile Anthozoa (sea anemones, corals, sea pens); swimming Scyphozoa (jellyfish); Cubozoa (box jellies); and Hydrozoa, a diverse group that includes all the freshwater cnidarians as well as many marine forms, and has both sessile members such as Hydra and colonial swimmers such as the Portuguese Man o' War. Staurozoa have recently been recognised as a class in their own right rather than a sub-group of Scyphozoa, and there is debate about whether Myxozoa and Polypodiozoa are cnidarians or closer to bilaterians (more complex animals).

Most cnidarians prey on organisms ranging in size from plankton to animals several times larger than themselves, but many obtain much of their nutrition from endosymbiotic algae, and a few are parasites. Many are preyed upon by other animals including starfish, sea slugs, fish and turtles. Coral reefs, whose polyps are rich in endosymbiotic algae, support some of the world's most productive ecosystems, and protect vegetation in tidal zones and on shorelines from strong currents and tides. While corals are almost entirely restricted to warm, shallow marine waters, other cnidarians live in the depths, in polar seas and in freshwater.

Fossil cnidarians have been found in rocks formed about 580 million years ago, and other fossils show that corals may have been present shortly before 490 million years ago and diversified a few million years later. Fossils of cnidarians that do not build mineralized structures are very rare. Scientists currently think that cnidarians, ctenophores and bilaterians are more closely related to calcareous sponges than these are to other sponges, and that anthozoans are the evolutionary "aunts" or "sisters" of other cnidarians, and the most closely related to bilaterians.

More jellyfish...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:44 am 

:smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:35 am 

Plook wrote:
:smoke:

After smoke already? That was quick.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:40 pm 

I didn't want to quote the whole Byte Sized chart above. I can remember in 1990 I had an instructor who had just bought a 1 gig hard drive, and we thought that was awesome and nearly unbelievable. I had a 75 mg hard drive and I thought I was pretty cool.

And no matter how many exabytes or yottabytes are whatever - it's still boils down to 1 or 0. On or off.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I didn't want to quote the whole Byte Sized chart above. I can remember in 1990 I had an instructor who had just bought a 1 gig hard drive, and we thought that was awesome and nearly unbelievable. I had a 75 mg hard drive and I thought I was pretty cool.

And no matter how many exabytes or yottabytes are whatever - it's still boils down to 1 or 0. On or off.
Oct. 28, 1992: Purchased an Apple Mac LC II with a 68LC030 processor, 40 MB internal HD, 4 MB RAM and "upgraded" to 512 VRAM. (I was sorry I didn't take Apple's FREE (!) offer to add FPU for a 68030, not a 68LC030!) My cousin was a software engineer who delighted in being as obstructive to my learning this thing as possible. I had a newly released *screaming* modem of 2400 Kbps and shit for software. I got ridiculed by people with "real computers" they identified as "IBM" even when IBM had nothing to do with the machine and the first version of Microsoft Windows had just been released and *snobs* refused to have anything to do with a "GUI" and stayed with MS-DOS! All the "IBM" users kept asking me, "What? A Mac? Where did you buy it, Childworld or Toys R' Us? Hahahaha, fool!

Well, seven years later nobody could laugh anymore at a "Mac"! (Just before that, Michael Dell called for Apple to fold and give everyone of their stockholders every penny they held. I thought that was a cheap shot to get his name and thereby his company's name in the media to get free advertising for "Dell computers". Well, of course it was!)

Not incidentally, Calvin, where did your instructor find a 1 GB drive in 1990 and what the hell had the computing power to drive the thing? :shock:

--Bat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:36 pm 

I really can't remember. I don't know if she ever put it to good use, she was a pretty bad instructor. "Here, type in this program exactly as it appears on this page and that will teach you C programming!"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:39 am 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:33 pm 

Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events as meaningfully related, where they are unlikely to be causally related. The subject sees it as a meaningful coincidence. The concept of synchronicity was first described by Carl Jung, a Swiss psychologist, in the 1920s. The concept does not question, or compete with, the notion of causality (however critics state that the causality, statistics and probability theorems, is enough for explaining cases of "synchronicity",which are in fact "normal events of low probability"). It maintains that just as events may be connected by a causal line, they may also be connected by meaning. A grouping of events connected by meaning need not have an explanation in terms of a concrete sense of cause and effect.

In addition to Jung, Arthur Koestler wrote extensively on synchronicity in The Roots of Coincidence.

Carl Gustav Jung

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:30 pm 

Synchronicity and Serendipity are frowned upon by modern science because they bring into play things like Fate and Destiny, which are boycotted in modern science and therefore are extremely understudied and even less understood.

The great thinkers of Ancient times not only believed in these things, but taught about them. Modern science does its self a great disservice by not looking into this area of study, if they did some of their missing information and holes in their research may get filled in.

:idea:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:23 am 

Brief update/hopeful reminder:

There is no such thing as "wisdom", guys.
We all learn as we live.

We may not USE the information to our benefit... but it is in there.