Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:09 pm 

tweedle-dumb wrote:
One More.Time.For.The.World.
...says the guy who claimed Ron Paul was going to get 10 million almost votes in the primaries, when in fact, he wasn't even almost close

I NEVER stated that, asshole.

tweedle-dumb wrote:
and that Ayn Rands crappy book was the highest selling book of all almost time, when in fact, it isn't listed on any of the lists of highest selling books, also not even almost close...

...regardless...

I already corrected the error. But Atlas Shrugged is still ONE of the biggest selling novels of all time. And since Obama has taken office, its back catalogue sales are roughly 500,000 copies. And those sales are 7-10x higher than they were before Obama took office...

tweedle-dumb wrote:
One.More.One More.Time.For.The.World.

The laws work where they are implemented and enforced -----> States with Higher Gun Ownership and Weak Gun Laws Lead Nation in Gun Death

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

Have fun...READING!

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:17 pm 

edited by my legal advisors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:32 pm 

brainpang wrote:
If ya didn't know:

snips from link:
In 1996, the NRA successfully lobbied Congress to put this restriction into the CDC's budget: "None of the funds made available ... may be used to advocate or promote gun control."

The NRA was infuriated with a 1993 study sponsored by the CDC that concluded having a gun at home offered little protection, but it increased almost three-fold the risk of one family member shooting another.

CDC funding into gun violence research has plummeted 96 percent since 1996, to just $100,000 of last year's $5.6 billion CDC budget.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-5 ... ch-budget/

brainpang wrote:
I'm not advocating for anything but this confirms what I already know (being a flawed human being and all):

Gun Suicide

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firea ... p-and-use/

I wonder why the two posters above, particularly the one at the top of this page, neglected to address or even acknowledge either of these two posts?

Glad to see that almost everybody here, with the exception of perhaps between 4 or 5 people, "gets it". 8)

- edited to correct a typing error

Last edited by SPACEBROTHER on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:51 pm 

Caputh wrote:
Just a question, that is honestly meant:

Do the anti-gun controllers believe that crimes involving guns (murder, robbery etc.) would rise if there were stricter gun control laws in the US? Are there any neutral statistics (i.e. from a source that has no ax to grind) that would support this view?

Here is another non-partisan study titled "Firearms in US homes as a risk factor for unintentional gunshot fatality" -

here - http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7502000490

and here - http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7510000114

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 pm 

tweedle-dumb wrote:
I wonder why the two posters above, particularly the one at the top of this page, neglected to address or even acknowledge either of these two posts?

That's because "risks" and "research plummeting" don't prove a thing, you delusional idiot. :roll:

==============================

And that reminds me. Remember a few months back when an Aussie poster (can't remember his name) used the Australian gun ban as justification that it would work worldwide? Well, here's what I found...

The notorious 1996 Port Arthur mass shooting where 35 people were killed and the other 13 mass Australian shootings (where over 70 people were murdered in total) that led to the that country's gun ban in 1997, were spread over 18 years (1978-1996). That's not even 1 mass shooting per year on average, nor is it more than 4 deaths per year on average. And while the firearm suicide related death rate has sharply decreased since the '97 ban, there is no evidence showing or proving that firearm related homicides have significantly decreased.

In fact, according to this: http://www.captainsjournal.com/2012/07/ ... and-brits/ )...

"In 2002 — five years after enacting its gun ban — the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Even Australia’s Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:

In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Sexual assault — Australia’s equivalent term for rape — increased 29.9 percent.
Overall, Australia’s violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.

Moreover, Australia and the United States — where no gun-ban exists — both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:

Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America’s rate dropped 31.7 percent.
During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Sexual assault — Australia’s equivalent term for rape — increased 29.9 percent.
Overall, Australia’s violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.
At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women."

Do I need to ask anyone here why that has happened?

Some also fail to realize that the Australian population as of 2011 was 22.6 million, whereas the US population as of 2012 was 313.9 million AND that there are already at least 300 million guns in America in comparison (nearly 1 per person).

But yet some think it's a fair and accurate comparison between both countries and that a gun ban will work in the US?!

Lastly, I've stated this before but I guess I'll have to state it again: the annual average for firearm related deaths in the US is 10,000-12,000...and roughly 75% of those are gang and/or suicide related. However, annually, on average, there are 35,000+ vehicular, 80,000+ alcohol related & over 400,000 tobacco related deaths in the US...

:roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

Last edited by Disco Boy on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:34 pm 

With the exception of 2007/08, firearm incidents, victims and firearm crimes per all violent incidents have been on the increase in the US since 2005, right after the lifting of the assault weapons ban.

http://www.nij.gov/topics/crime/gun-violence/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:40 pm 

Furthermore, the states in the US with the highest firearm death rates have far lower populations than most of the states with the lowest firearm death rates.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:55 pm 

Also, roughly 40% of US households own 100% of the firearms.

2 in every 3 homicide victims are killed with firearms.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:57 pm 

If you want to get a firearms licence in NZ, you simply apply to the police who will firstly check your police record. If you are clean, they give you a basic 25 question commonsense exam on handling and using a firearm. If you pass they then perform a number of in depth interviews with your employer, neighbours, friends and relatives. If they decide you are not a loose unit, they then come to your home and make sure you have an approved lockable gun safe, no white supremacist or Frank Zappa posters on the wall and no shrine to Bieber or Buble, oh and no meth lab in your garage or secret basement. Most of the interviews are carried out by a local community policeman. The process is pretty thorough....However if you want to buy ammo, no licence is required???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:00 pm 

tweedle-dumb wrote:
With the exception of 2007/08, firearm incidents, victims and firearm crimes per all violent incidents have been on the increase in the US since 2005, right after the lifting of the assault weapons ban.

I just knew if I clicked on that link, it wouldn't back up almost anything you're claiming. And of course, it doesn't (just like most, if not all, of your other links). :roll:

tweedle-dumb wrote:
Furthermore, the states in the US with the highest firearm death rates have far lower populations than most of the states with the lowest firearm death rates.

Hmmm. Maybe that's because most of the states in the US with the highest firearm death rates are in the south where there's more than obviously a higher concentration of firearms?! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:32 pm 

Another almost huh?... :lol:

Perhaps simple graphs are outside of your comprehension. I guessd I'll have to "tweedle-dumb" it down to a remedial level just for you. :lol:

Here's the key...

Firearm incidents =Fi
Firearm victims = Fv
Firearm crimes as a percent of all violent incidents = Fc%vi
Rate increase = ^
Rate decrease = v

1993 - * first year of collected data

Fi - 1,222,701

Fv - 1,529,742

Fc%vi - 8

1994 - ^

Fi - 1,287,190

Fv - 1,568,176

Fc%vi - 8

1995 - v

Fi - 1,028,933

Fv - 1,193,241

Fc%vi - 7

1996 - v

Fi - 939,453

Fv - 1,100,809

Fc%vi - 7

1997 - v

Fi - 882,885

Fv - 1,024,088

Fc%vi - 7

1998 - v

Fi - 673,304

Fv - 835,423

Fc%vi - 6

1999 - v

Fi - 523,613

Fv - 640,919

Fc%vi - 5

2000 - v

Fi - 483,695

Fv - 610,219

Fc%vi - 6

2001 - v

Fi - 506,954

Fv - 563,109

Fc%vi -7

2002 - v

Fi - 450,776

Fv - 539,973

Fc%vi - 7

2003 - v

Fi - 385,037

Fv - 467,345

Fc%vi - 6

2004 - ^

Fi - 405,774

Fv - 456,512

Fc%vi - 7

2005 - ^

Fi - 446,365

Fv - 503,534

Fc%vi - 7

2006 - ^

Fi - 552,035

Fv - 614,406

Fc%vi - 7

2007 - v

Fi - 448,414

Fv - 554,780

Fc%vi - 7

2008 - v

Fi - 331,618

Fv - 371,289

Fc%vi - 5

2009 - ^

Fi - 383,390

Fv - 410,108

Fc%vi - 7

2010 - ^

Fi - 378,801

Fv - 415,003

Fc%vi - 8

2011 - ^

Fi - 414,562

Fv - 467,321

Fc%vi - 8

Everything I posted about the gragh from this link -----> http://www.nij.gov/topics/crime/gun-violence/ <------- is 100% correct and accurate.

So...in conclusion to the data from this gragh, the Brady Bill (assault weapons ban) was enacted November 30, 1993. The rates decreased steadily from 1995 - 2003.

In 2004, GH Bush let the Brady Bill (assault weapons ban) expire. The rates increased each year since 1994 with 2007/08 the sole exception.

Again, no almosts about it. The information I posted is completely and entirely accurate.

...also, your last question exclamation should read...

Maybe that's because most of the states in the US with the highest firearm death rates are in the south where there's more than obviously a higher concentration of firearms per capita?!

...for statistical accuracy.

yawn :roll:

--------------------------------------------------

Some more statistically accurate factoids...

People who keep guns in homes are almost 3 times more likely to be murdered.

Guns in the home were associated with a 8-fold increase in risk of homicide at the hands of a family member or intimate acquaintance.

Rather than confer protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:31 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:31 pm 

What about their rights?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:49 pm 

tweedle-dumb wrote:
Everything I posted about the gragh from this link -----> http://www.nij.gov/topics/crime/gun-violence/ <------- is 100% correct and accurate.

So...in conclusion to the data from this gragh, the Brady Bill (assault weapons ban) was enacted November 30, 1993. The rates decreased steadily from 1995 - 2003.

In 2004, GH Bush let the Brady Bill (assault weapons ban) expire. The rates increased each year since 1994 with 2007/08 the sole exception.

Again, no almosts about it. The information I posted is completely and entirely accurate.

...also, your last question exclamation should read...

Maybe that's because most of the states in the US with the highest firearm death rates are in the south where there's more than obviously a higher concentration of firearms per capita?!

...for statistical accuracy.

yawn :roll:

If you think the Brady Bill made a difference then why have the firearm rates NOT increased during most years since the 2004 expiration of the Brady Bill?

Also, while the link you posted which includes the graph in question is apparently accurate, what you claim it represents is NOT. This is what you claimed, asshole...

ONE. MORE. TIME. FOR. THE. WORLD.:

Disco Boy wrote:
tweedle-dumb wrote:

I just knew if I clicked on that link, it wouldn't back up almost anything you're claiming. And of course, it doesn't (just like most, if not all, of your other links). :roll:

tweedle-dumb wrote:

Guns in the home were associated with a 8-fold increase in risk of homicide at the hands of a family member or intimate acquaintance.

Rather than confer protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance.

ONCE AGAIN, "risks" & "likely" are NOT proof.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:00 am 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:01 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
What about their rights?

There rights were taken away by the progressives

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:24 am 

Silly Sally

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:36 am 

tweedle-dumber wrote:

If you think the Brady Bill made a difference then why have the firearm rates NOT increased during most years since the 2004 expiration of the Brady Bill?

The Brady Bill expired in 2004. What part of that don't you understand? Also, the firearm related murder rates increased almost every year since the expiration of the Brady Bill. What part of THAT don't you understand? Do you think you're smarter than the DOJ, law professors and statitians? Gawd you're a dense fuck aren't you? :roll:

tweedle-dumber wrote:
Also, while the link you posted which includes the graph in question is apparently accurate, what you claim it represents is NOT. This is what you claimed, asshole...

You admit that the graph is correct.

tweedle-dumber wrote:
ONE. MORE. TIME. FOR. THE. WORLD.:

yawn

tweedle-dumber wrote:
tweedle-dumb wrote:

What part of the gun related crime rates decreased when the Brady Bill was enacted from 1994 - 2004, and the rates increased almost every year from 2004 - Now since it expired don't you get? It's right there in black and white. You have to be the most dense ignoramous I've had the comedy relief to call out on misinformation ever. Gawd you're beyond a dense fuck. Keep on trying to get out of the station though. You might make it out of the lobby someday.

tweedle-dumber wrote:
tweedle-dumb wrote:

ONCE AGAIN, "risks" & "likely" are NOT proof.

You'll never get it because you're a dense fuck. The statistics prove it to be true, and you even admit that the graph is correct. Way to backtrack tweedle-dumber.

That train ain't ever leaving the station.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:53 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Silly Sally

Thilly Thally ride's thide thaddle by the thea thore! :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:58 am 

Little_Sally wrote:

You sure are! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:46 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Little_Sally wrote:

I think that's the same woman photographed during various stages of her life. Glenn Beck's wife perhaps? It is from the Blaze.com.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:54 pm 

Caputh wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Little_Sally wrote:

I think that's the same woman photographed during various stages of her life. Glenn Beck's wife perhaps? It is from the Blaze.com.

Makes sense that Little Sally would Blaze a trail where no little girl has gone before. Get a gun and start training them young! I think that's what the sign sez at his moms basement-ranch. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:21 pm 

It seems that the police used over two hundred rounds trying to get someone out of a boat .

These are trained marksman with infra red and night vision capability , right ?

So if they couldn't do the job with over 200 rounds being fired , why would you restrict a common legal gun owner to just seven rounds to protect him or herself ??

:?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:38 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Silly Sally

Thilly Thally ride's thide thaddle by the thea thore! :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:38 pm 

That your kid Sic Willie or is that your "pear farm" school? I see you train them young. For what? Expecting hoards of deer comin' at ya?
You go girrrl. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 51  Next