Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Record Store Day single
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:30 am 

Record Store Day kinda sucks, you know? I missed out on the Black Friday "Big Leg Emma" single--got to the store just in time to be told they had sold the last copy. The owner told me I should have called first. Well, this time I called first to try to reserve the "I'm the Slime" single and just got the brush-off. I have a sneaky feeling that he probably did have the disc but was too busy to be bothered about pulling a copy for me.

If the idea of Record Store Day is to encourage people to shop at their local mom & pop, brick & mortar store, then it falls flat, because the experience always just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. And I have to resort to eBay if I want to get the records anyway.

Why the fuck can't they just make enough to go around?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:29 pm 

my record store ordered it for me, but didn't get any; this one will probably show up on barfko swill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:34 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
Record Store Day kinda sucks, you know? I missed out on the Black Friday "Big Leg Emma" single--got to the store just in time to be told they had sold the last copy. The owner told me I should have called first. Well, this time I called first to try to reserve the "I'm the Slime" single and just got the brush-off. I have a sneaky feeling that he probably did have the disc but was too busy to be bothered about pulling a copy for me...

My local shop handed out flyers to explain what would be available, and the best way to get what you want.
First...Talk with our staff, and let them help you get what you are after.
Second...By the way, stores never get all the releases, never know which releases they are getting, and never know how many of what they do get they are getting...
Third...We won't hold RSD items for anyone.

So, basically, talking with the staff don't accomplish shit. You gots to be there when they open, hope like hell they have enough copies to reach your place in line, and hope like hell they even GOT what you woke up early for, and rushed down there to get!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:39 am 

just plain doug wrote:
So, basically, talking with the staff don't accomplish shit. You gots to be there when they open, hope like hell they have enough copies to reach your place in line, and hope like hell they even GOT what you woke up early for, and rushed down there to get!

Exactly!!! Why do they have to make it such a difficult and often disappointing experience? It just makes staying home and buying online look all the more attractive.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:37 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Exactly!!! Why do they have to make it such a difficult and often disappointing experience? It just makes staying home and buying online look all the more attractive.

But if you stay home you'll get fat and you might miss another ZappaFreak that knows where you can get what you want. :idea: Record day puts like minded people together "LIVE" and no computer shoppage can do that. imho :|

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:18 pm 

the record stores don't even know what they're gonna get until it shows up a few days before, luckily, someone snagged me a copy of i'm the slime on the east coast; we backed each other, and he's not a zappa fan

my guys were offering donuts to people waiting in line, it's a pretty small shop, not really arranged for a big rush of about people, but they kept it friendly, with plenty of freebie cd samplers, buttons, bags and more donuts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
the record stores don't even know what they're gonna get until it shows up a few days before, luckily, someone snagged me a copy of i'm the slime on the east coast; we backed each other, and he's not a zappa fan

my guys were offering donuts to people waiting in line, it's a pretty small shop, not really arranged for a big rush of about people, but they kept it friendly, with plenty of freebie cd samplers, buttons, bags and more donuts

:mrgreen: ZappaFreaks came in from all the surrounding states too,eh? :wink:

Your right about the local stores, same trip here. They order a package and that's what comes. A record company suit's idea of what they want. Much to their chagrin, the local guy gets stuck with what a suit some where else thinks he should sell and then they don't. Then they're hit again for tax for having it in stock, I've heard. Might as well make clay pigeons out of them. Damn shame too! Support the locals and screw the big box stores & big corps.....please do it slowly too. Now faster! That's it!
Glad you scored what ya wanted slime.o. Good you have your back covered too. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:59 am 

First off, the whole point of Record Store Day is to GO TO A RECORD STORE. It's not Cyber Monday Buy Vinyl Online Day.

Every special release is an extremely limited release, and people know that going in. Stores always order more than they know they are going to get, they have no control over it when they get short changed. If you want something, pick a store that you know ordered it, get there early to stand in line and hope for the best. I've never heard of a store anywhere setting aside Record Store Day releases for customers too lazy to line up and get their asses down there.

I got a copy of Slime at my shop. I also got the Big Leg Emma a few months ago since it was still available for order. I suggest calling your record store and seeing if they can still order any left over copies. It can happen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:47 am 

Try reading for comprehension, Ruz baby. I did wait in line on Black Friday for the "Big Leg Emma" single. They sold out. It was a complete waste of my time. The owner told me I should have called first. So this time I did call first. No luck. If I had waited in line, I just would just have been wasting my time again.

Your second paragraph just demonstrates exactly why Record Store Day is bullshit. Why not press enough copies to fill all the orders? Why impose this artificial rarity? Why withhold records from the customers who want to buy them? Who determines why this store gets its order filled and that store doesn't? How does it help my local record store if they can't sell me what I want, while we all know it's guaranteed to turn up on eBay? How does it help my local record store to give a long-time customer a bad experience?

I love the suggestion to "pick" a store that's likely to get the desired item. Yeah, I'll just choose from among the dozens of record stores in my area. Easy peasy. Oh wait, it's 2013? Uh-oh.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:12 pm 

snooznews wrote:
Try reading for comprehension, Ruz baby. I did wait in line on Black Friday for the "Big Leg Emma" single.They sold out...
got some newz for ya, shrewz baby, listen to ruz ... ya snooze, ya looze; get the fuck outta bed & get in line earlier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:00 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
got some newz for ya, shrewz baby, listen to ruz ... ya snooze, ya looze; get the fuck outta bed & get in line earlier

And you still miss the point. Suppose I camped out overnight and was first in line. I would have gotten the single. BUT then someone else who got it in reality would have missed out. And you would have been hearing some other poor schnook griping about not getting the single. The point is there weren't enough to go around, and some people are bound to get screwed. There's no reason for that, and it doesn't help the stores.

And since my store didn't get any copies this time, what good would it do to get there early? You yourself said you couldn't get it at your local store and you had to get it from your friend on the east coast. What good did it do you to get there early? Maybe you found something else you liked; I'm not interested in all the other shit that came out for RSD. So you're getting it by mail. What's the difference between that and getting it off of eBay?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:04 am 

i need to find this thing locally. i hate ordering stuff like this thru mail order because the picture sleeves always get mangled. i fucking hate that shit!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:51 am 

i have both!

but that involves getting there at 6 am to wait in line for 4 hours. some people get there at 4!

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:40 pm 

Shrewnews wrote:
Try reading for comprehension, Ruz baby. I did wait in line on Black Friday for the "Big Leg Emma" single. They sold out. It was a complete waste of my time. The owner told me I should have called first. So this time I did call first. No luck. If I had waited in line, I just would just have been wasting my time again.

Your store sucks, pick another

Shrewnews wrote:
Your second paragraph just demonstrates exactly why Record Store Day is bullshit. Why not press enough copies to fill all the orders? Why impose this artificial rarity? Why withhold records from the customers who want to buy them? Who determines why this store gets its order filled and that store doesn't? How does it help my local record store if they can't sell me what I want, while we all know it's guaranteed to turn up on eBay? How does it help my local record store to give a long-time customer a bad experience?

It's a special day, hence special releases. If they were just NEW releases, it wouldn't be a special day would it? Part of RSD is going to the RS and hanging out. Not jerking off to Amazon in yer skizzies.

Shrewnews wrote:
I love the suggestion to "pick" a store that's likely to get the desired item. Yeah, I'll just choose from among the dozens of record stores in my area. Easy peasy. Oh wait, it's 2013? Uh-oh.

I live in redneck/Shithead Edmonton and have 2 great and 3 pretty good stores to pick from. It is 2013, vinyl is on the rise. how about going to your store, building a rapport with the proprietor and maybe you'll have better luck? If that doesn't work, well, your store sucks and your fucked so order it off Barfko when it shows up.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:19 am 

Ruz-El wrote:
I live in redneck/Shithead Edmonton and have 2 great and 3 pretty good stores to pick from. It is 2013, vinyl is on the rise. how about going to your store, building a rapport with the proprietor and maybe you'll have better luck? If that doesn't work, well, your store sucks and your fucked so order it off Barfko when it shows up.

Are you upset because the Oilers didn't get a 4th consecutive #1 draft pick this year?

Post subject: re: record store day
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:59 pm 

ruz-el wrote:
... Part of RSD is going to the RS and hanging out. Not jerking off to Amazon in yer skizzies...
some serious babe-o-licious types waiting in line, hanging out, easy pick-up

a couple of record stores around here have the 4am camp-a-thon gig, couldn't see myself doing that, the local shop is small time, 9:15 am arrival put me at #20 or so, nice sunny morning, grab a coffee on the way down, 45 minute wait then hanging out in the record store, spinning some vinyl

even if they didn't have what you wanted, there were dozens of other interesting items, many under $10

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:24 am 

On the big day I went to one of the capital city of New Zealands two record shops, no FZ vinyl in evidence at all, they had been advertising the limited release Pink Floyd 45, See Emily Play...also not in evidence on the day, verdict: A waste of &%$#*@# time, once again!

Pretty much the same as last year, and they wonder why their record stores are failing.....

Post subject: re: rsd single
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:40 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:01 pm 

^ Nice. On line or store bought, slime.o?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:27 am 

I got to The Vinyl Frontier at 7:45am. The store was supposed to open at 8am. I figured there might be a few people waiting to get in, but there were about 25 ahead of me...

It wasn't long after that when some people checking Facebook had found out that a big shipment of RSD stuff was supposed to be sent to the owner's house that morning and hadn't arrived yet. It was chilly, maybe 40 F outside and it looked like very few people expected to spend alot of time waiting. By 9am, the guy arrived with the goods...

They loaded the stuff off the truck and I was thinking that after an hour and a half wait, I'd be in. But, they unpacked the boxes and stickered em while we waited, all the way til about 10:15am.

There was no order once the doors opened, it was a bum rush. Being the 25th, I didn't have much chance, but I did OK. I got within about 10 feet of the 45s, saw the FZ one and caught the clerk's attention, but he wouldn't play favorites and hand one to me. So, I just shouted "Someone send a Zappa back here!". And they did! Here's what I ended up with:

The "?" 45 was a mystery side-by-side like the clear 45 on the right in which Devo and Flaming Lips each play their own version of the same song. The "?" side-by-side was Love on one side and Rush on the other side each playing 7 and 7 Is, yellow vinyl which looks kinda white in the pic.
I didn't get everything I wanted of course. Kinda hoped I'd get the new live-in-Chicago Tame Impala and the re-release of Of Montreal's Satanic Panic in the Attic.
Next year, I'm bringing a chair and a warmer coat! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:28 pm 

^ Nice vinyl score Arkay! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:48 pm 

Just listened to a clip of "Down in de Dew" from Lather on iTunes... sounds amazing--is it a lot different of a mix from what's on Lather? Apparently this will be on the Apostrophe (') 40th Anniversary Project/Object this year...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:57 pm 

scabdates wrote:
Just listened to a clip of "Down in de Dew" from Lather on iTunes... sounds amazing--is it a lot different of a mix from what's on Lather? Apparently this will be on the Apostrophe (') 40th Anniversary Project/Object this year...

Oh really?

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I got to The Vinyl Frontier at 7:45am.

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
^ Nice vinyl score Arkay! 8)

Yeah but I couldn't figure out what songs are on the Zappa single?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:13 pm 

The FZ single has Don't Eat the Yellow Snow b/w Down in De Dew. Good enough reason to take pix of the other colored vinyl. Ya know, blurry pix, some day I'll get a new camera. Slime's pix above are much more clear.

You'll notice that one side is Barking Pumpkin and one Zappa Records and the color and labels are different for the Love / Rush sides, even though they are the same disc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:36 pm 

I figured some level of detail would be good...

Notice it is 3:18.

For comparison, Läther - 2:58