Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283 ... 379  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:56 am 

white house attacked ??,,

we couldn't be so lucky,,,,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:23 am 

...a nickel would be fine...

Rare Liberty Head nickel sells for $3.1m

A century-old US five-cent coin, once branded a fake, has been sold for $3.1m (£2m) at auction.

The 1913 Liberty Head nickel, one of only five such coins, had a pre-sale estimated price of $2.5m.

The coin's intriguing provenance - it was illegally cast, found in a car crash, deemed a forgery and abandoned for decades - explains its high value.

It was located after a nationwide search and put up for sale by four siblings in the state of Virginia.

"Not only is it just one of only five known, genuine 1913-dated Liberty Head design nickels, this particular one was off the radar for decades until it literally came out of the closet after a nationwide search," said Todd Imhof, vice-president of Heritage Auctions, where the coin was sold.

The nickel was forged at the mint in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1912 - the final year the Liberty Head was cast - but with the year 1913 cast on its face. (...)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22314257

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:17 pm 

Conservative effort underway in push for gay marriage

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A national group of prominent GOP donors that supports gay marriage is pouring new money into lobbying efforts to get Republican lawmakers to vote to make it legal.

American Unity PAC was formed last year to lend financial support to Republicans who bucked the party's longstanding opposition to gay marriage. Its founders are launching a new lobbying organization, American Unity Fund, and already have spent more than $250,000 in Minnesota, where the Legislature could vote on the issue as early as next week.

The group has spent $500,000 on lobbying since last month, including efforts in Rhode Island, Delaware, Indiana, West Virginia and Utah.

Billionaire hedge fund manager and Republican donor Paul Singer launched American Unity PAC. The lobbying effort is the next phase as the push for gay marriage spreads to more states, spokesman Jeff Cook-McCormac told the Associated Press.

Politics makes strange bedfellows: literally

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:54 pm 

well that just says that those guys "Suck",,

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:52 am 

edyrukidng wrote:
well that just says that those guys "Suck",,

Suck or not it looks like the GOP needs votes wherever they can get them and that's what they're trying to do. :|

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:19 pm 

"Spider-Man" Snatches $6,000 in Cash on Hollywood Boulevard

A man in a Spider-Man costume snatches a paper bag filled with $6,000 in cash from employee of Starlines Tour Bus company

There’s a rogue superhero on the loose in Hollywood.

Police are on the hunt for Spider-Man after the masked web-slinger snatched a paper bag filled with $6,000 in cash and credit card information from an employee of the Starlines Tour Bus company.

It happened Friday morning as the worker was leaving the firm’s Hollywood Boulevard headquarters, said Los Angeles Police Department Lt. Rich Galbaldon, a watch commander at the Hollywood Division.

Hoping their web-head didn’t make it too far, police have been rounding up other Spidey impersonators who were seen milling about in the area, which sits near the TCL Chinese Theatre, formerly Grauman's, a tourist mecca.

So far, no arrests have been made.

Just the facts, ma'am

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:41 pm 

James McCormick guilty of selling fake bomb detectors

James McCormick, 56, of Langport, Somerset, is said to have made £50m from sales and sold more than 6,000 in Iraq, the Old Bailey heard.
Police said the devices, modelled on a novelty golf ball finder, are still in use at some checkpoints.
McCormick's device was based on $20 (£13) golf ball finders which he had purchased from the US and which had no working electronics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22266051

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:11 pm 

Federal Reserve Refuses to Submit to an Audit of Germany’s Gold Held in U.S. Vaults

The German government has been storing about half of its gold supply with the US FED, apparently in the NYC FED vaults. Germany decided to bring home all its gold, but the FED has said that isn’t possible to do, and it would need until 2020 to be able to accomplish the transfer.

The German government then asked to visit the FED vaults to inventory the gold and determine its actual existence, but the FED refused to permit Germany to examine its own gold. The reasons given were “security” and “no room for visitors”. And nothing else.

http://nsnbc.me/2013/04/18/federal-rese ... -vaults-2/

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:54 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Federal Reserve Refuses to Submit to an Audit of Germany’s Gold Held in U.S. Vaults

The German government has been storing about half of its gold supply with the US FED, apparently in the NYC FED vaults. Germany decided to bring home all its gold, but the FED has said that isn’t possible to do, and it would need until 2020 to be able to accomplish the transfer.

The German government then asked to visit the FED vaults to inventory the gold and determine its actual existence, but the FED refused to permit Germany to examine its own gold. The reasons given were “security” and “no room for visitors”. And nothing else.

http://nsnbc.me/2013/04/18/federal-rese ... -vaults-2/

Translation: The FED has no gold stored in its vaults and will need 7 years to source the physical gold wanted by Germany.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:29 am 

Baby milk powder is rationed now here. 1 pack a customer max.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:43 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

"Spider-Man" Snatches $6,000 in Cash on Hollywood Boulevard

A man in a Spider-Man costume snatches a paper bag filled with $6,000 in cash from employee of Starlines Tour Bus company

There’s a rogue superhero on the loose in Hollywood.

Police are on the hunt for Spider-Man after the masked web-slinger snatched a paper bag filled with $6,000 in cash and credit card information from an employee of the Starlines Tour Bus company.

It happened Friday morning as the worker was leaving the firm’s Hollywood Boulevard headquarters, said Los Angeles Police Department Lt. Rich Galbaldon, a watch commander at the Hollywood Division.

Hoping their web-head didn’t make it too far, police have been rounding up other Spidey impersonators who were seen milling about in the area, which sits near the TCL Chinese Theatre, formerly Grauman's, a tourist mecca.

So far, no arrests have been made.

Just the facts, ma'am

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:47 pm 

Mission College Locked Down After Cardboard Cutout Mistaken For Gun

May 6, 2013 5:13 PM

SANTA CLARA (CBS SF) — Santa Clara’s Mission College went into lockdown for about 45 minutes this afternoon after a cardboard cutout of a gun was mistaken for the real thing, a school spokesman said.

As part of a sociology of criminology class project where students were to dress up as criminals, one student wore a ski mask and carried a cardboard cutout of a gun, school spokesman Peter Anning said.

The student was taking pictures before the class began when another student panicked and called Santa Clara police at 2:47 p.m. to report a person with a gun, he said.

Mission College went into lockdown at 2:53 p.m.

Police located and spoke with the student, and the lockdown was lifted about 45 minutes later, Anning said.

More abundant than hydrogen

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:40 pm 

Group plans gun-rights march on Washington with loaded rifles

..."We will march with rifles loaded & slung across our backs to put the government on notice that we will not be intimidated & cower in submission to tyranny," Kokesh said on the event's Facebook page...

http://news.msn.com/us/group-plans-gun- ... ded-rifles

---------------------------------------

According to The US Constitution: Article III - Section 3

"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort."

Groups like the NRA and other related gun advocacy groups and individuals who are calling to arms against the US government may be committing treason, as defined by the US constitution.

Treason
treason n the offense of attempting to overthrow the government of one's country or of assisting its enemies in war

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:37 pm 

World’s first plastic gun made with 3D printer, successfully fired in the United States

The successful firing of the world’s first plastic gun made with 3D printing technology, has brought immediate calls for a ban on so-called “undetectable weapons.”

The gun, called “The Liberator”, was made and developed in Austin, Texas by a non-profit organization called Defense Distributed, which claims its purpose is to “produce and publish information related to the 3D printing of firearms.”

The weapon was made with a 3D printer bought on eBay for just $8,000, and constructed by assembling 15 printed components made from ABS plastic. According to the BBC, which witnessed the weapon’s first test, only the 16th piece, the firing pin, is made from metal.

Thanks Defense Distributed, I hope your gift to humanity comes back to haunt you, of all the great things you could have developed you chose a GUN!
your parents will be proud....

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:49 am 

^^^^
Only in America.

Meanwhile:

...goodbye privacy, welcome big brother:

Harvard researchers unveil the smallest flying robot ever created, with a wingspan of 3 centimeters (1.2 in).

RoboBee is a tiny robot capable of flight. The culmination of twelve years of research, RoboBee solves two key technical challenges of micro-robotics. Engineers invented a process inspired by pop-up books that allowed them to build on a submillimeter scale precisely and efficiently. To achieve flight, they created artificial muscles capable of making the wings beat 120 times per second.

The goal of the RoboBee project is to make a fully autonomous swarm of flying robots for applications such as search and rescue and artificial pollination. For that to be feasible, researchers will have to figure out how to get power supply and decision making functions, which are currently handled via a tiny tether to the robot, on board.

It is believed that the 3 cm (1.2 in) wingspan of RoboBee makes it the smallest man-made device to achieve flight.

If that is on the public lines, imagine what if going on underneath Virginia...

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:34 pm 

Dick Cheney slams Obama administration's Benghazi performance as 'a failure of leadership ... I cannot understand why they weren't ready'

By David Martosko In Washington
PUBLISHED: 23:26 EST, 7 May 2013 | UPDATED: 23:26 EST, 7 May 2013

Former Vice President Dick Cheney criticized the Obama administration on Tuesday for its handling of the September 11, 2012 terror attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, calling it 'a failure of leadership.' Cheney said U.S. leaders should have been better prepared for violence on the anniversary of the al-Qaeda attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon in 2001.

'They should have been ready before anything ever happened,' Cheney told MailOnline exclusively during a party in Georgetown celebrating the launch of a new book by former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

'I mean, it's North Africa - Libya, where they've already had major problems,' Cheney said. 'You know that al-Qaeda is operating there, and you have some of the other al-Qaeda-affiliated groups there like Ansar al-Sharia and others.'

Death Valley Days straight ahead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:11 am 

Jeeze, have you read the comments on that one MFT? btw: Dick Chenney, he dicked every American and wants to dick 'em again. :roll: :evil:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:50 am 

From a guy at the top during 911... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:31 am 

This just in...Dick Cheney had his 481st heart attack after taking his morning shit.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:47 am 

How could that be? He just stole a new heart last year.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:07 am 

What heart? Dickie's an asshole and assholes ain't got no heart at all!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:29 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
'I mean, it's North Africa - Libya, where they've already had major problems,' Cheney said. 'You know that al-Qaeda is operating there, and you have some of the other al-Qaeda-affiliated groups there like Ansar al-Sharia and others.'

And I wonder who we should thank that they're able to operate there?
Ask Dr. Stupid!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:22 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

He had a heart transplant last year. Some good deserving kid should have got it, but fucking Cheney jumped the waiting line thanks to all the dirty bucks he's extorted over the years. This country -- hell, this world -- is so overdue for a revolution. If you people would quit watching your TVs and start thinking straight again...

Aw, fuck it. That'll never happen. They got you by the balls.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:27 pm 

Pope Jim wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

He had a heart transplant last year. Some good deserving kid should have got it, but fucking Cheney jumped the waiting line thanks to all the dirty bucks he's extorted over the years. This country -- hell, this world -- is so overdue for a revolution. If you people would quit watching your TVs and start thinking straight again...

Aw, fuck it. That'll never happen. They got you by the balls.

Not my balls! My eye's are wide open. I see the need for a radical change. Isn't this how the American Dream started, a bunch of left wing radicals threw off the yoke of the oppressor King George?

They say no one cuts in the waiting for a heart line. It's the match that counts. After David Crosby got his liver/heart/lungs transplant I seriously doubted that tale anymore! Dickie has the buck$'$ to buy his way to the front of the line and the contacts to do it too.
Imho, Dickie's an asshole. :evil: (I know he's had a heart transplant :wink: )

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:28 pm 

Hazmat scare at SF post office

Will Kane
Published 2:09 pm, Thursday, May 9, 2013

(05-09) 14:08 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- Five postal workers were treated at a San Francisco emergency room Thursday after complaining of itchy skin and light-headedness, prompting authorities to close their post office while it was checked.

Firefighters were called to the St. Francis Memorial Hospital emergency room at 11:38 a.m. to decontaminate the employees and test a substance found on one person's clothing, said Mindy Talmadge, a spokeswoman for the Fire Department.

Investigators determined that the substance was "fibrous material" from the conveyor belt at the post office and was not hazardous, fire officials said.

The post office at 1400 Pine St. was closed for much of Thursday while crews determined the source of the material.

MTF comments: Last week, one of my daughter's classes was evacuated during a midterm, because an unattended box was discovered next to a garbage can. The box was empty. What's next? Are they going to shut down the airport because somebody farted?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283 ... 379  Next