Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:02 am 

The original VJs from MTV were on Good Morning America this morning. One of the questions they were asked....worst interview.....Nina Blackwood spoke right up......you guessed it. Frank Zappa. Said he was condescending to her and she didn't know how to handle him.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:08 am 

FZ did have a way with women

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:20 am 

"The hardest and worst interview that I have ever done was with Frank Zappa. Ugh! It was a nightmare. I feel bad saying this because he is no longer with us, but he was a nightmare. I hope I never run into anything as terrible as that again. He was deliberately being Frank Zappa. It was the first live broadcast that MTV ever did. It was his yearly concert that he used to do from The Palladium on Halloween. I was the host. Even in rehearsals Frank was really obnoxious to me. Between my lack of experience and him being obnoxious, it was just a nightmare. Enough said. It was a very bad experience. (...) It was baptism by fire. Now, with the chip on my shoulder that I have developed, I wouldn't tolerate it. Back then, I was young and we were trying to do our best. I was an easy target. It was a cheap shot and he didn't have to do that. If Frank wanted to be smart then do it to Walter Cronkite or something, but not a twenty-something little girl doing her first live broadcast."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thom: You have always mentioned Frank Zappa when asked what your worst interview experience was but you never go into detail and the video is not on YouTube.

Nina: I am glad of that! It was one of the first concert events on the network with a veejay and everything. Frank Zappa played at The Palladium every year for a Halloween show. They had me host the event and he was just as condescending and as rude as possible to me. In hindsight they probably should have put J.J Jackson with him. I have compared it to a bully on a playground beating up a girl. It wasn't funny, he just did it for his own amusement and it was awful. It was just a horrible experience.

Thom: That's a shame because even though you were the most attractive veejay on MTV, you knew your music, you didn't come off as unintelligent.

Nina: It had nothing to do with that, it was just how he was, condescending for his own amusement. He wound up looking like a jerk when it was all said and done. He thought he was being cool but he wasn't.

Thom: On the other end of the spectrum, did anyone surprise you at how nice and humble they were in spite of being a huge star?

Nina: With the exception of Zappa, everybody I have interviewed has been wonderful. Some people are shyer than others and you have to draw them out, but other than Zappa, they have all been wonderful experiences and I have interviewed a lot of people. Interviewing is one of the things I enjoy doing the most.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dove_grey wrote:
I saw this "Uncensored" program as well. The portion they showed from the interview was Frank(clearly realizing Nina is out of her element) asking her to jump up and down--and she has this blank look on her face...and jumps up and down! She could've been a REAL woman and said,"Sure, Frank, if you'll jump with me!" or something like that, but no. He looks at her, then at the camera, like"See? What a moron!" It was hilarious ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Last edited by just plain doug on Mon May 06, 2013 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:29 am 

I don't think it's too far off to consider that FZ was a difficult person, of course Nina Blackwood can be expected to be bitter about not being able to come to terms with so much 'tude from this man. Quite often it seems to be one of the curses of exceptionally talented men: they can appear a bit too demanding and hard-to-please to many other people. And as the entire quote illuminates, if someone young and naive happens to run across one of these ruthless taskmastering difficult geniuses, it can have a traumatising effect.

FZ had in fact, four years before, dismissed most of rock journalism as a business for the cognitively-challenged people. So why should FZ had seen the video rock journalism that much of an improvement, other than developments in technology? Just another slime oozin' out from your TV set! You can't expect MTV to attract VJ's with much knowledge on Varese and Stravinsky now can you?

And do we have FZ' side of the story? Did he ever discuss his appearance at MTV Palladium '81 show anywhere? I suppose he got into a rant in TRFZB about the shoddy flake-ism related to charging tons of money for the privilege of recording the concerts or somesuch, but did he ever specifically attack the integrity of anybody involved in presenting the show?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:55 am 

I taped this first ever simulcast Halloween production from the "King Biscuit Flower Hour" that night,,

Nina was a total nubile,, "well I'm Frank Zappa and".....

Frank,, "give me that microphone,, they're EQ different"....

so really,, she comes off as just some young new chick without a clue of what's going on, and Frank is trying to keep shit together because he said,

"things can get screwed up",,,,

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:09 am 

That was FZ being FZ, about to go on stage, being asked to do a bit for MTV, the girl was lucky he didn't decide to clean her neck with a wet napkin :mrgreen: that clip always makes me laugh

When the red light was on he was a wild and crazy guy

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:16 pm 

Maybe, just maybe, this Nina person (who I don't know from Eve) might just have a point. If she's saying, that after years of interviewing many many 'pop/rock stars' that Zappa was being am obnoxious asshole, and he was the only 'star' to ever make her feel that way, maybe he was exactly that. It doesn't seem that far out of character for him-why try and defend him?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:07 pm 

For me it seems there's a real fine line between being so self-confident and opinionated as if one seems to have a bad attitude, and being a real raving asshole.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:45 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
For me it seems there's a real fine line between being so self-confident and opinionated as if one seems to have a bad attitude, and being a real raving asshole.

1) The term "asshole" as a description of a person is a metaphor rather than an exact description, and hence it's appropriateness is up to debate in each case. Only very squareminded people will insist that someone is/is not an asshole, essentially. The word is used as an expression of a subjective view, and since the association with the main cloacal orifice tends to be construed as degrading, most often the observer/heckler and the observed/named will disagree about the pertinence of the designation. Likewise, friends and foes of the so-called "asshole" will seldom agree about the exactness of that metaphorical description.

2) Just like Zappa, Claude Debussy was a highly talented composer who was also considered a difficult man. I don't know if he was ever called an "asshole", but it's a fact that he died of rectal cancer.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:16 am 

Quilt wrote:
Maybe, just maybe, this Nina person (who I don't know from Eve) might just have a point. If she's saying, that after years of interviewing many many 'pop/rock stars' that Zappa was being am obnoxious asshole, and he was the only 'star' to ever make her feel that way, maybe he was exactly that. It doesn't seem that far out of character for him-why try and defend him?

I'l interject because my commentary is relevant to what was happening that evening. From first hand experience I can attest that Nina Blackwood was an airhead. I was interviewed by MTV on that same evening. They used the interview footage as a promo for the concert. In the time I spoke with Nina Blackwood earlier that evening the only thing that was noticeable was her helium personality. It's highly probable that is why Frank had her jump. Her behaviour was effervescent of a helium balloon that pops up and down.

Frank was always the one on duty. It was his night. His music. First live concert ever on MTV. In Nina Blackwood MTV had a VJ that personified the air head movement of the 80s. She just may have been the most unprepared interviewer in Zappa's career. I guess MTV had what they wanted but it's clear she had no knowledge or wit to interview Frank.

Frank had a way with interviewers with little to no credentials. When I speak of credentials I am talking of being educated for the interview. She gave no indication that she had anything going on upstairs except for helium balloon adventures and ice picks to the forehead.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:53 am 

To those who weren't around in the 80s...

Nina Blackwood was an idiot then and presumably still is one now. Would you care if Miley Cyrus said something about FZ? Well, maybe some would, I dunno.

She became famous though. Not that it lasted, apparently, since few here seem to remember that she was an idiot.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:20 am 

So basically we got a few comments stating that Nina was an idiot and thus appeared to get her just desserts from the ever-so-difficult Uncle Frankie.

What made her an idiot anyway? Like I implied before, I don't think being acknowledgeable on Varese is compulsory for being wise, but what specifically made her so stupid that she deserved absolute ridicule?

And it appears to me that Nina's trump card seems to be that she was a young female in her early twenties then and thus she can always point out that FZ was "misogynistic" and a "school yard bully". Maybe in 1981 the world was not yet so politically correct that Zappa's antics didn't result in a PR suicide for him?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:00 am 

Ed, I dunno if you were around then or what...

I don't need to rationalize my opinion of her idiocy. If you want to claim her as intelligent, maybe even someone who you think should have interviewed FZ, then I'll leave that to you. MTV was very young, cable was very young. NB was a naiive cheerleader for a corporation. Too bad that her feelings were hurt, but I really don't care. She was omnipresent back then and not in a good way. Bands HAD TO talk to her and her ilk, as EVERYONE thought MTV was very important and many still do. No one may know who she is now, but anyone with cable knew her back then. Intelligent wasn't a word used to describe her with the people I knew. My test sample was small, maybe some people out there looked at her otherwise.
Journalism has set up a paradigm in which the Interviewer is allowed to say nothing worthwhile and thats OK, the Interviewee must sit and politely listen to corporate questions from the unknowledgeable. I would rather have Interviewer be held to account for being useless in every category except VERY EXCITED!

Ridicule. Interesting choice of words. "Deserve ridicule" even more interesting. Maybe you can say why you choose those words, I can only guess what you mean.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:27 am 

speaking of FZ interviews, I got a cassette audio someplace, (their might be a video too I think) of "Cadillac Extravaganza",
where Frank has a little fun with Rudy the interviewer,, which I always thought was pretty good,,

I got a bunch of FZ interview tapes Fialka used to send me, and I always admired how Frank called shit as he saw it,,,,

RD: Ah, aw, a change in your person now … ah … from the late Sixties to now, I mean, now today at the airport, you're ... ah ... taking a very big car, a Cadillac or something and then you were going to the hotel now. I don't suppose you did this in the very beginning. Is that any change of your personality ...
FZ: Yeah! Now I can afford to do it. And I would've done it then if I had the money to do it. You think sombody gives me the Cadillac? No. I pay for it.
RD: Aw, isn't that more – more – er – egocentric just to think of what you get out of it of the music?
FZ: Aim this camera at this guy. Ladies and gentlemen, here is a classic example of a jerk for an interviewer. Why is that egocentric to have a car that is comfortable to take me from the airport to my hotel?
RD: I was just asking. I mean ... [pause]
FZ: [scratching his cheek]You and your movement questions. You like movements?
RD: Woääh.
FZ: You like Cadillacs?
RD: N-n-n-noo.
FZ: D'you like bein' comf... why don't you like Cadillacs?
RD: I don't think its possi... I don't think it is errr … necess...
FZ: Now, wait a minute! Suppose somebody gave you a Cadillac, would you like it? Do you people want a Cadillac?
RD: I don't need one.
FZ: I don't need one either! But that's there, why not ride in a Cadillac?
RD: What I wanted to express is that ... ah ... I suppose that you are criticizing something in your ... in your songs and you are also criticizing the American way of life ...
FZ: Yea.
RD: And for me – I mean, maybe I am wrong – something like a Cadillac is ... is ... ah ... fits together with this American way of life.
FZ: But suppose I would 've gotten a Mercedes instead of the Cadillac, what would you say to that?
RD: There's no difference, I mean ...
FZ: But it woulda been because a Mercedes is not part of the American way of life. I'd gotten the wrong car, right?
RD: No, I ... I ... I mean something else. I mean that ... that ahh ... a car is ... can-can-can can be something just to show people I got money or it can be something just to get from one place to the other.
FZ: Well, for ME, it gets me from one place to an other.
RD: And you don't care what's ... what's it all about?
FZ: So long as I'm warm, so long as I'm comfortable, so long as the car is safe and the guy that's driving it knows where it's going, it's ok. And if I had to choose between riding in a car this big, with the draft coming in the window and riding in a Cadillac, I'm getting the Cadillac. Because I'm not crazy.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:49 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Ed, I dunno if you were around then or what...

Well, no, I wasn't.

Quote:
I don't need to rationalize my opinion of her idiocy. If you want to claim her as intelligent, maybe even someone who you think should have interviewed FZ, then I'll leave that to you. MTV was very young, cable was very young. NB was a naiive cheerleader for a corporation. Too bad that her feelings were hurt, but I really don't care. She was omnipresent back then and not in a good way. Bands HAD TO talk to her and her ilk, as EVERYONE thought MTV was very important and many still do. No one may know who she is now, but anyone with cable knew her back then. Intelligent wasn't a word used to describe her with the people I knew. My test sample was small, maybe some people out there looked at her otherwise.
Journalism has set up a paradigm in which the Interviewer is allowed to say nothing worthwhile and thats OK, the Interviewee must sit and politely listen to corporate questions from the unknowledgeable. I would rather have Interviewer be held to account for being useless in every category except VERY EXCITED!

So the problem was: NB had tons of enthusiasm, but little else? And that a completely undeserving VJ got tons of exposure? And yes, bands had to talk to her. But why does NB regard every other interviewee miles better than FZ? Could it really be for reasons all to do with NB and none at all with FZ? That's what I'm suspicious of and that's why I understand why some are wary of defending FZ. If you call a spade a spade and NB an idiot, it's only fair someone gotto-gotto-gotto call FZ a difficult person. It takes two to tango, bebop or otherwise, Roxy or elsewhere.

Quote:
Ridicule. Interesting choice of words. "Deserve ridicule" even more interesting. Maybe you can say why you choose those words, I can only guess what you mean.

Was Zappa's method not all about ridiculing stupidity everywhere he went? Was ridiculing or lampooning not what FZ did when she made NB jump up and down? Didn't FZ thought stupidity is so widespread it deserves satirical rock songs written about it as well as all sorts of colourful and off-colour comments about it?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:34 am 

It seems if I continute to post, yer gonna think I'm hassling you. Not the intent, just giving my POV. Part of my POV is that I try to stay away from clauses like "The problem was..." as though if only one element was considered, then all would have been well. Life doesn't apply well to reductionism.
I guess if it came right down to it, I'd have to say no, FZ wasn't "all about ridicule". Imo, the purpose of ridicule is self-satisfying. With FZ, I felt more like he was describing things as he saw them, not as he made fun of them. If the things he described were funny, so be it, he liked to laugh. Did he sometimes riducule? Yes! Was it his method? No.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:57 pm 

The thing about The Cadillac Extravaganza is the rock 'n' roll journalist comes off (at first) as a bit of a stooge, but later on, gets into the spirit of the fun of pretending not to want to get out of a Caddy and then getting his butt spanked since it's his birthday. By this time, he seems to have earned Frank's respect and he likes him, sees him as fitting in,etc. Ms. Blackwood, however, can't seem to get over being seen as a idjit on national tv. I'll bet she interviewed Gene Simmons and found him obnoxious. Poor, poor pitiful Nina--mean ole Unce Frank showed you for what you are. Bitter tears. Years later, Frank had lil Mtv cutie Martha (I can't believe I've forgotten her last name) at his house for a segment of The Basement Tapes, and he seems to like her because she was very interested in what he had to say and did'nt ask a lot of stupid questions. NB always struck me as one of those "women" who think they're pretty damn hip and hot looking and most guys will want to be around her. So Frank acts in that manner, she's offended. Ms. Martha was girl-next-door and approachable and therefore was treated much better. Someday I'll learn to use paragraphs.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:21 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
It seems if I continute to post, yer gonna think I'm hassling you. Not the intent, just giving my POV. Part of my POV is that I try to stay away from clauses like "The problem was..." as though if only one element was considered, then all would have been well. Life doesn't apply well to reductionism.
I guess if it came right down to it, I'd have to say no, FZ wasn't "all about ridicule". Imo, the purpose of ridicule is self-satisfying. With FZ, I felt more like he was describing things as he saw them, not as he made fun of them. If the things he described were funny, so be it, he liked to laugh. Did he sometimes riducule? Yes! Was it his method? No.

Life doesn't apply well to Reductionism? Well over all I agree with your analysis I think but what application of reductionism do you refer?; theoretical, methodological, or ontological?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:36 am 

Well, if you put it that way, The Rule of Thumb!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:18 am 

Ha, I just went through the Martha Quinn Basement Tapes interview, and that's just lovely. FZ looks rather relaxed and in a good mood in that one and of course Quinn does sound informed enough. By that standard I'm quite willing to concede that Ms Blackwood by comparison was/is indeed a bit of a bimbo.

FZ certainly gave out a vibe that he was out to ridicule. I mean, the entire WOIIFTM album sounds mostly like one massive pisstake on hippies and Sgt. Pepper era Beatles! Mitigating factor: "Mom and Dad". FZ was, when he was recording this song, on the cusp of fatherhood and he must've realised what a drag it must be for many children to grow up in the family of plastic people. So he wrote this lovely little tune, half psych-pop production, half classical gracefulness about two girls that became hippies as a result of their parents not caring for them and that ended up dead as a result of street violence. And the Kent State killings were only three years away. It's no coincidence the 1970 Mothers took this song up live once the Kent State killings had occurred. There was definitely another side visible that went beyond sped-up vocals, funny sound effects, sardonic lyrics and rough contrarian attitude.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:07 pm 

I doubt there is even a single pop star that would let a snooty girl knowing nothing having her interview without any trouble. When my sister was 15 she got to interview some gnarly musicians, and those don't do that mercy thing, she really had to prove that she's not a snotball.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:22 pm 

1. Twenty something is not a "little girl".
2. Frank was probably a bit anxious about pulling off this whole promotional stunt. His demeanor was similar to his live sketch appearances on SNL.
3. Fuck MTV.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:13 am 

The fact remains that, of all the various musicians, idiots, and others assorted folks that this woman interviewed over the years, Frank stood out as being particularly obnoxious.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:44 am 

well then she'll just have to get over that experience,, or live with it,,

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:16 am 

She probably remembered him best for one or more of the following reasons:
1 It was her first big event
2 A close relative is a Zappa fan and asked her to get a signature and ask him some embarrassing question
3 He tried to make a pass at her
4 She got told off strongly by her superior and the interview nearly cost her her job.
Feel free to add!