Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEW ZPZ DATES
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:19 pm 

Plook wrote:
Don't they need a percussionist for this music?

:smoke:

Ben will simulate Ruth's parts by playing the spoons on his thighs.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:35 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:
Don't they need a percussionist for this music?

Ben will simulate Ruth's parts by playing the spoons on his thighs.

LMFAO... :mrgreen:

Seriousely dude when we saw them in Madison Ben had really upped his game, almost more than one could believe possible, he sang really good and at points was excellent.

Funny thing he is playing a lot more instruments (trumpet, trambone, and a wide variety of other stuff). His performance and theatrics were really happening and song appropriate...I have to say I was very impressed and I believe he could have made Franks band judging by that performance... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:24 am 

The wife and I will be hitting up the Portland, Maine show.
Tix go on sale tomorrow. 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:17 am 

RobRay wrote:
The Milwaukee pre-sale notification indicates Roxy and Elsewhere will be played in its entirety, in sequence.

The GrandMothers played Roxy & Elsewhere all the way though and more. I saw them at Yoshi's/Oakland last Sept. Great show! Musically top notch and there is no better front man than NMB, imho. Don Preston's still having a rockin time at 81, along with Tom Fowler, a drummer and guitarist (very good). They're invited back and with no DZpZ any where near me what else am I gonna do? See the Monkees ??? Hell no, I just saw Bobby Martin with Ike and Ray in Chico, shaky start but a fine finish and of course BM sang Whippin' Post. Great time, great venue too. Maybe Pojama People will tour a little farther south to Nor-Cal for a show or two with some Mothers alumni. That would help ease the pain of no DZpZ near here for going on 2 years now.
Thanks a lot PJ and LS. DZ is cutting a wide swath around you guys! :P

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:51 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
RobRay wrote:
The Milwaukee pre-sale notification indicates Roxy and Elsewhere will be played in its entirety, in sequence.

The GrandMothers played Roxy & Elsewhere all the way though and more. I saw them at Yoshi's/Oakland last Sept. Great show! Musically top notch and there is no better front man than NMB, imho. Don Preston's still having a rockin time at 81, along with Tom Fowler, a drummer and guitarist (very good). They're invited back and with no DZpZ any where near me what else am I gonna do? See the Monkees ??? Hell no, I just saw Bobby Martin with Ike and Ray in Chico, shaky start but a fine finish and of course BM sang Whippin' Post. Great time, great venue too. Maybe Pojama People will tour a little farther south to Nor-Cal for a show or two with some Mothers alumni. That would help ease the pain of no DZpZ near here for going on 2 years now.

I'm guessing KK that you will not be saving your money and you will be going to the show!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:40 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
I'm guessing KK that you will not be saving your money and you will be going to the show!

If DZpZ plays near here, I'll go to the show. No doubt about it and I'll see any other shows too! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:17 am 

I'll probably go to the Chicago show. However, I think the Dweeze should have picked another album instead of Roxy; the entire Roxy album is loaded with tuned percussion. Playing samples from the synth just doesn't cut it. Bongo Fury would have been a better fit for the band as it exists at this point.

I know it's part of the ZFT Roxy marketing, but what the hell. :x

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:58 pm 

Plook wrote:
No Nor Cal?... :?

I can try and set a work trip to LA during the Roxy run... :idea:

Now your talkin' - bring the Pope and Kiiiiirk with ya!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:16 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I'll probably go to the Chicago show. However, I think the Dweeze should have picked another album instead of Roxy; the entire Roxy album is loaded with tuned percussion. Playing samples from the synth just doesn't cut it. Bongo Fury would have been a better fit for the band as it exists at this point.

Bongo Fury would be fine if they'd let me sing the Kapt's parts! :twisted:

If that's part of the ZFT marketing strategy they should pay The GrandMothers for playing/touring that album all last year and more! There were newbies there too, that are now becoming Zappaphiles and ZappaFreaks as we speak because of dem dar GrandMothers of Invention. I do think Gail's cool for letting us talk about those others that play the composers content/intent (really good too), but don't pay the ZFT for what FZ and they did together, on this site. Kudo's GZ. I don't see why they should pay anyone. When they were with Frank, he payed them. It's hard enough to practice, tour and "preform" FZ's music as it is....and after all if your in the public domain as an actor/musician/entertainer or preformer, unless you've signed a deal for profits down the line. That's it baby, and that good too. It's like the freedom of information act. Information is not knowledge, but all the really bad groups that play Zappa....oh wait there are none because you literally have to love the music of Frank Zappa to practice enough not to embarrass yourselves and "get payed too". Shit, these Mothers that are still truckin', fuckin', playin', pluckin' and touring playing Zappa should be on a pedestal in the Zappa household. They carry the torch as much as we all do that are here and DZpZ too. We love the music of Frank Zappa and can't help but encourage others to dig what we all *get* or have *gotten* a long time ago. These guys did it with Frank,'nuff said, ya know?

I love all of Frank'sMothers but one........that ain't a bad average in the entertainment field....and I'd never fuck around with any Mother,they've had over45 -50yrs.of handling fool and drunks.
I was very polite and respectful around DP and it payed off he looked like he was having, heh, a lot of fun!
Same with the rest, they all do FZ justice. imho
8)
We love you Mothers, oh yes we do, ew, ew! :mrgreen:

I miss FZ man. But it's so good to know that in all the nooks and crannies around the world, there's still more and more musicians getting together just to play FZ. That's really cool to me man! ....and who'd of thought Ike would be the one getting a lot of those bands together with other Mothers. The mans got legs and I'm happy for him. Luuuuu-u-cillle has messed up his mind and he's flowing with it. Seems to be cool with it now, more relaxed like.
8)
I wish DZpZ would play this way with every Mother that's left, a sorta' Zappastockonale West, yes, yes, yes! In SF! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:03 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
:x

a

I miss FZ man. But it's so good to know that in all the nooks and crannies around the world, there's still more and more musicians getting together just to play FZ. That's really cool to me man! ....and who'd of thought Ike would be the one getting a lot of those bands together with other Mothers. The mans got legs and I'm happy for him. Luuuuu-u-cillle has messed up his mind and he's flowing with it. Seems to be cool with it now, more relaxed like.
8)

Sometimes I fall asleep listening to some FZ and wake up and still cant believe hes gone :( I miss that fucker !

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:53 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:

They have to have a percussionist, maybe Ruth... :idea:

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:33 pm 

Plook wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

They have to have a percussionist, maybe Ruth... :idea:

Let's see:

Penguin In Bondage, Pygmy Twylyte (and its offspring Dummy Up), Cheepnis were also performed by the percussionist-less Elsewhere ensemble in May 1974, in addition to the Elsewhere-only tracks 8 and 9. So that's 60 % of the material. Then, Don't You Ever Wash That Thing as well as a closing snippet of Echidna's Arf were also done by the Bongo Fury band a year later. Bebop Tango was done (as part of Farther Oblivion) by the 1972 Petit Wazoo group. Thus, the material of the album is in fact doable without percussion. It will of course not sound the same if there is no marimba, but somehow I suspect ZPZ has been cutting back on percussion not because they're suddenly against the marimba, but because they probably need to do without.

Not that I'm making excuses for ZPZ, but just making an observation.

Now the vocals are an entirely different matter. I was just watching the Classic Albums: Apostrophe/Overnite DVD yesterday, and as I was going through the ZPZ clip of "Camarillo Brillo" with Napoleon on vocals, it really struck me how well he sang that one! This guy has got better with age, with a lot of the rougher edges (cough cough: Sep 1975-Mar 1976 and July 1984 bands!) shaved off. Of course, Ben Thomas is inferior next to that! Somehow though, the bridges appear to be burnt, because Napoleon has made some critical remarks on ZPZ/ZFT in the more recent past, so this may be why Napoleon will not be guesting. A shame though, because he indeed can still bring it. Even the other alumni like Ray, Ike or Robert may not be on speaking terms with Gail anymore.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:20 am 

Isn't it competition that drives the capitalist and the commie scheme's? They both feed you terms of betterment for us all and all couched in the dogma and propaganda crap they want you to believe? Hee, hee! (he's been smoking and pondering again Madge!) The ZPZ does have the "vault" to hold us ZappaFreaks hostage* with. Do they dangle it like a carrot in front of the other people ? I dunno, but I see a carrot now and then Wally, don't tell Mom! By then I'm hungry for any FZ from wherever it comes from. Be it Ike Willis, Don Preston, Napoleon, and any other Mother. The GrandMothers Of Invention are hard to beat in The Roxy department. Too bad they can't compare notes any more. To the other Mothers (Except for Scott Thunes) they all might as well be dead in the The Muffin Girrrrl's kithen and household. Maybe there's an exception, I dunno. But in the absence of DZ & any form of ZpZ, well, you gotzta' get your Frank on with every Mother that you can while they still can!....that's if your a real ZappaFreak, like me and I could type for awhile ya know about you guy's being ZappaFreaks too ya know!...eh? :wink: ?

* Now that set off bells from the mid-east to Montana!....Ah oh! :shock: gotta go some Boston Police want to talk about my use of the secret word tonight, "Hostage". Why do they want me to step outside?
"go ahead whip it on me girl" Ba-dun-a-dub-a-dun-da-da-da-da-da-da. (Da dum ta!) That parts German for instance, I think I'm ready to go on a trek again...well just one night. JWN and I new, ew, ew. That I loved Frank, so-o-o-oh much, ew, ew, el ew man! FZ is sorely missed.
It's Bizarre ~ I know.
I hope this stops making sense tomorrow, and even the Titoney's will be in full bloom. Ya know, after they're planted underneath the lawn, lawn, lawn. :mrgreen: {-

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:07 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
RobRay wrote:

That iteration of the GrandMothers was amazing. I saw them at the Santa Cruz Moe's Alley show right after Yoshi's and they were unreal. The guitar player was Mike Miller who has played for Chick Corea (so obviously he has chops) and was in Banned From Utopia so he has played Zappa stuff before as well. That was an incredible night.

The trek to Chico was too far for me to go, glad to hear you made it!

Pojama People made it to SF a few years back, not much of an audience, but it was an entertaining evening.

Back to the subject at hand, I always catch a ZPZ show whenever possible. A little bummed nothing in NorCal on the horizon. May have to do a road trip in December. Our daughter moved to San Diego a couple years ago so maybe if I package the trip with Roxy followed by San Diego daughter visit it just might work.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:37 pm 

On another related subject.... Am I correct that the posts for a certain east coast FZ tribute band have been removed? You know, the one with several alumni?

Just pointing that out, if it's indeed true.

Seems so very silly by now.......

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:59 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
On another related subject.... Am I correct that the posts for a certain east coast FZ tribute band have been removed? You know, the one with several alumni?

What you talkin' 'bout Willis?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:05 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Do not fear, give detials please... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:17 pm 

Plook wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

Do not fear, give detials please...

I bow to TMIMITW, you talk 'em down Plook, you silver tongued devil you! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:21 pm 

Stay thirsty my friend... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:47 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:

It seemed silly then, too.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:51 am 

I hear if you go to the Roxy Show you can pay $50.00 extra and get a free download 30 days later, who's choosing that option?... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:27 am 

Little Sally, for sure.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:45 am 

Plook wrote:
I hear if you go to the Roxy Show you can pay $50.00 extra and get a free download 30 days later, who's choosing that option?... :smoke:

OBDULA X will be all over that.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:26 pm 

If I post the following link, will this thread be deleted too? Let's see.

http://www.idiotbastard.com/News/PressRelease1.htm

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:03 pm 

Awesome, but no Nor Cal or So Cal... :smoke:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next