Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ryan Brown on drums??
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:48 pm 

Joe? Say it ain't so Joe!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:17 pm 

I just read the email that lists the line-up for the ZPZ Plays R&E tour. Joe's drummer slot are some awefully big shoes to fill. I've been impressed with the level of musicianship that the various line-ups of the ZPZ have had, so expect this newest edition to be of exceptional talent.

Hopefully that means Joe will be on the road with Mike Keneally later in the year. I'm way overdue for a Keneally show or two or three.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:26 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I just read the email that lists the line-up for the ZPZ Plays R&E tour. Joe's drummer slot are some awefully big shoes to fill. I've been impressed with the level of musicianship that the various line-ups of the ZPZ have had, so expect this newest edition to be of exceptional talent.

Hopefully that means Joe will be on the road with Mike Keneally later in the year. I'm way overdue for a Keneally show or two or three.

I thought Joe's most loyal commitment was to ZPZ and the ZFT. Did Duran Duran decide to go on tour or something with the lure of a year's worth of high paying gigs?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:57 pm 

Yep, Joe's left the building. I hope he stays on as Vaultmiester. Maybe Little Sally will finally get his downloads now if he does. :wink:

KUIII wrote:
I thought Joe's most loyal commitment was to ZPZ and the ZFT. Did Duran Duran decide to go on tour or something with the lure of a year's worth of high paying gigs?

You sound bitter KU. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:01 am 

Yes! This is true!!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:14 am 

I think ZPZ fans are going to love Ryan Brown if indeed he is the new drummer !! This guy is a monster, Joe is very god but ryan will bring a new energetic approach much the way dunbar& ted did.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:19 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I think ZPZ fans are going to love Ryan Brown if indeed he is the new drummer !! This guy is a monster, Joe is very god but ryan will bring a new energetic approach much the way dunbar& ted did.

I thought Trendmonger would be the first to say that. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:27 am 

I've known this news for a few weeks now and it really bummed me out. I really love and respect Joe's playing because if you think about it he has had to work his balls off to pretty much replicate the a huge number of the greatest drummers and some of the best drumming EVER!
I will miss him very much in ZPZ. He was glue that held it together as far as I am concerned. His knowledge of all things FZ music and his long history with DZ and the ZFT were essential to the band.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:06 am 

just plain doug wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

I thought Trendmonger would be the first to say that. :shock:

Is Bravo Sierra Trendmonger in long pants?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:37 am 

trendmonger my ass. You fucks think you know music and are FZ aficianados....., eat me, that groupie /Zappa knowitall attidue is 180 out of what FZ was all about, as far as ZPZ goes, just a good cover band, good alternantive to new music in general, as for Ryan Brown, do some fucking homework, The man is a monster, check him out you zpz snobs.;

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:03 pm 

This what your talkin' about BS?

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbrowndrums

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:10 pm 

Not familiar with my space I believe there are some you tube examples of his drumming. This my opinion so who gives a fuck, I think his skills speak for themselves.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:12 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Yes! This is true!!

Don't they pay you good for the stuff that you do?!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:18 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
trendmonger my ass. You fucks think you know music and are FZ aficianados....., eat me, that groupie /Zappa knowitall attidue is 180 out of what FZ was all about, as far as ZPZ goes, just a good cover band, good alternantive to new music in general, as for Ryan Brown, do some fucking homework, The man is a monster, check him out you zpz snobs.;

I assume you're talking to Pope Jim, since I didn't comment on talent one way or the other.
I just expected Trendy to continue to be the fastest on the draw to praise changes.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:25 pm 

Not to sound Trendy but the musicians that DZ has choosen that have played in the band have all been top shelf... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:58 pm 

Plook wrote:
Not to sound Trendy but the musicians that DZ has choosen that have played in the band have all been top shelf...

Why I heard you say Sheila runs the band more so than DZ. If that's right they're still the band to beat, but look out, some of the alumni are coming up fast! SG always has the keys to the bus too. Smart lady! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:09 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
Yes! This is true!!

Don't they pay you good for the stuff that you do?!

Well... you know... I can't complain when Joe Travers comes thru!!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:57 pm 

All that's left of the original ZPZ is Dweezil and Scheila. He better be paying her well.

And Bravo Sierra, I'm sorry I pissed you off. It was a joke. A lame one, maybe, but I'm hardly the first one here to do that. Look around you; the lame-os are everywhere, like flakes. I will miss Joe. I miss Pete and Billy and Jamie. I never bought into Dweezil as the star of the group bullshit. I thought they were all stars. (Not Ben or Chris so much.) Now it's a group full of unknowns to me, because it's almost two years since they've come my way. Now it's looking like not this year, either, so I am not a happy groupie, you dig? At least I know Ike Willis will hit town this summer sometime, like he always does.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:24 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Yep, Joe's left the building. I hope he stays on as Vaultmiester. Maybe Little Sally will finally get his downloads now if he does. :wink:

KUIII wrote:

You sound bitter KU. :mrgreen:

I'm not bitter. I was just speculating on why Joe left. Joe has toured with Duran Duran in the past. Joe is a working musician and when you get the call from "a big rock group" you have to answer. Joe is a great drummer. I know I've been bashing ZPZ a bit but I actually think Dweezil has done a great job with them. I'm just not a big Ben fan. I've seen Napolean, Ray, Ike, and Robert all sing the songs live in the last seven years and Ben can't hold a candle to them. Sorry. ZPZ is probably the best Zappa tribute band out there even without the alumni. They have the budget and the players to pull it off consistently. But they still don't have the "eyebrows" that the alumni can provide. I will also continue to begrudge Dweezil and Gail's stance against others playing the music. That is just wrong.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:31 pm 

Another theory is that maybe Joe is just a little burnt out on Frank Zappa music even though he obviously has a great affection for it. As a very good drummer maybe he wants to be recognized for something else. Steve Vai and Mike Keneally moved on even though they were huge Zappa fans. I don't even listen to Zappa that much anymore even though I don't hesitate to say he's my favorite artist of all-time. It's all up here (pointing to my brain). :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:53 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Another theory is that maybe Joe is just a little burnt out on Frank Zappa music even though he obviously has a great affection for it. As a very good drummer maybe he wants to be recognized for something else. Steve Vai and Mike Keneally moved on even though they were huge Zappa fans. I don't even listen to Zappa that much anymore even though I don't hesitate to say he's my favorite artist of all-time. It's all up here (pointing to my brain). :mrgreen:

I like them all! Why can't everyone Freak Out like we used to? Everyone that was a Mother, that's still playin' FZ' music has been great and the musicians with them too! Dweezil could only benefit from the Mothers, and has, but I can see how he's not his dad in the way he handles "big" personalities. He can't, and his interest with ZPZ are strickly musical. So now you have two different beasts. The *entertainment* section and the *musical* section. DZ and the ZFT launched, ZPZ in '06 with the Mothers/Alumni help. Then split the camps and the websites. That's the way I see it. (got rid of Trendy over here) I'd love to see DZ and Ahmet with ZPZ doing a kids camp The Wiggle's kinda thang, if he wants to teach the kids to play in perfect Zappaneze tone and textures. DZ seems to like that shit. So go with what you know, you know, eh? But let The Mothers alone if your not gonna use them "officially". All of them say FZ just wanted them to carry on his music and their's too. They would know from the being on the road with Frank better than anyone, what's what. They deserve a place in the local touring world without fear of harassment from the ZFT lawyers. Hell, they're better than Medical Marijuana for me and I need safe access! I'm sure a few others here feel the same way. Encourage everyone to play FZ's music, even The Mothers that played it with Frank.
I think we're pretty simpatico on this one. Just cause I like DZ and Megan doesn't stop my need for FZ's live music, by the ones I saw play it with FZ and "The Mothers".

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:52 am 

http://www.zappaplayszappa.com/players.html has unfortunatly no info about Ryan but Joe is still there ;-)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:18 am 

just plain doug wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

I assume you're talking to Pope Jim, since I didn't comment on talent one way or the other.
I just expected Trendy to continue to be the fastest on the draw to praise changes.

You are correct JPD

As for Zappa tribute bands, the best imho, pays tribute to Fz, with brilliant charts, not playing zappa charts note for note, and that would be Ed Palermo, with his big band, I gotta believe if Frank were alive he would love this band and the
work Ed puts into the charts.

One of Ed's musicians has his band called standard orbit quartet, Check out TED KOOSIAN. Now this stuff is good fun music !!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:46 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
As for Zappa tribute bands, the best imho, pays tribute to Fz, with brilliant charts, not playing zappa charts note for note, and that would be Ed Palermo, with his big band, I gotta believe if Frank were alive he would love this band and the
work Ed puts into the charts.

One of Ed's musicians has his band called standard orbit quartet, Check out TED KOOSIAN. Now this stuff is good fun music !!

And trombonist Joe Fiedler has a bunch of great platters, too. Check out that resume:
http://www.joefiedler.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:38 am 

yea a big 10/4 on Fiedler, man he can play bone, DZ should check out the guys in Ed,s band, actually I would like to hear DZ play with Palermo, I am sure it would be good, Keneally is on a couple of his cd's and plays live with him occasionally, at the Iridium in NYC,