Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEW ZPZ DATES
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:27 pm 

Plook wrote:
Awesome, but no Nor Cal or So Cal... :smoke:

Not even West of the Rockies, let alone here in CA

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:15 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
If I post the following link, will this thread be deleted too? Let's see.

http://www.idiotbastard.com/News/PressRelease1.htm

Let's see if the magic word is Andre' or just plain ol' Project/Object. That should even get Trendy all hot and bothered with the *and but also's* along with *the composers intent* trip all over again. All that and more, DZ, his idol, doesn't fancy AC all that much. Will Trendmonger rise to his defense? :roll:

Nice link IB, thanks for posting it. Still no Nor-Cal dates! I don't know where my next live Zappa music will be or when. Hmm, Eugene, OR. a lot sooner or LA later in Dec. or both? :(

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:03 pm 

That's awesome. It seems that more and more alums are out there playing the music all the time. This is a good trend.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:30 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
chumcloud wrote:
no guests

Fair enough, no “sternly accomplished special guests”. But do you know if any of the “other people” (the ZPZ band) have changed?

I have my answer: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24998

"Remarkable in detail and interview, an unexpected and invaluable look at a such an important and ill-fated moment in Frank's career."

www.idiotbastard.com

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:51 pm 

I just got an Email from Zappa.com and Joe Travers has left DZpZ as of this tour. :cry: Bummer. This according to the official line up sheet and is replaced by Ryan Brown on drums.

Thanks for all you do and did Joe! I hope you'll keep on as Vaultmiester. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:32 am 

ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA BRINGING ROXY & ELSEWHERE TO LIFE AT THE ROXY
(AND ELSEWHERE)

Zappa Plays Zappa, the Grammy® winning group that has made and recreated history performing the music of Frank Zappa, is set to embark on an epic musical trek across the US, Canada and Europe celebrating the classic Frank Zappa album, Roxy & Elsewhere. In celebration of the 40th anniversary of that pivotal Zappa fan favorite, the entirety of its repertoire -- including the provocative rhythms of "Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?" "Echidna's Arf (Of You)" and Be-Bop Tango (of the Old Jazzmen's Church)" will be performed Live!

Since 2006, Dweezil Zappa has led his highly acclaimed group through more than 500 performances worldwide and over 275 compositions spanning the breadth of his father's deep catalog. "I think my father's music deserves the chance to be discovered by a contemporary audience. His creativity and discipline is inspirational. Since generation X has apparently evolved beyond generation Y, perhaps we've reached generation Z. I think this is an appropriate time and place to inherit and adopt Frank Zappa as the musical figure head for Generation Z. Many facets of his music are bold and unconventional and it feels to me like it's from the future. Generation Z should be bold and unconventional"

Beginning this September, Zappa Plays Zappa will hit the road premiering songs that have not been performed on previous tours and cutting its teeth on additional surprise material. "The Roxy & Elsewhere album has always been one of my favorites and I'm excited to play it top to bottom. It has a great balance of musical styles and showcases some of the funkiest grooves and most devilishly frenetic instrumental passages my father ever composed."

Navigating the musical twists and turns of Frank Zappa's Music onstage isn't the only attraction on offer for the upcoming tour. As a bonus to the tour, a 90 minute personalized guitar instruction session from Dweezil's annual musical bootcamp, Dweezilla, will be offered as a separate ticket in the afternoon before sound check in every city. Players of all skill levels are welcome to attend. "I really enjoy sharing musical ideas and improvisational strategies with people. In these classes we discuss technique and application as our main topics. People will also get a chance to have a close up look at the newly released Frank Zappa Roxy SG made by Gibson Guitars," notes Zappa.

Certain to be among the tour's highlights are performances at iconic venues that resonate with Zappa history. Honoring the long-standing tradition in New York City Dweezil will stand in the same place Frank Zappa often stood on Halloween at the Beacon.

Auspiciously paying homage to Roxy & Elsewhere, Dweezil and his bandmates will perform at the Roxy Theatre in Hollywood, exactly 40 years to the day of Frank Zappa's Performances at the Roxy in December, 1973.

9/3/13 Providence, RI Lupo's Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
9/4/13 Pittsburgh, PA Carnegie Music Hall Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
9/5/13 Columbus, OH LC Pavilion Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
9/6/13 Iowa City, IA Englert Theater Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
9/7/13 Urbana, IL Krannert PAC/ Ellnora Guitar Festival On Sale Aug 10
9/8/13 Milwaukee, WI Pabst Theater Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass

10/8/13 Lincoln, NE Rococo Theatre Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
10/9/13 Eau Claire, WI State Theatre Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
10/10/13 Chicago, IL Copernicus Center On Sale May 11 / Dweezilla Masterclass
10/11/13 Indianapolis, IN The Vogue Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
10/12/13 Grand Rapids, MI The Intersection Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
10/13/13 Kent, OH Kent Stage Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
10/16/13 Philadelphia, PA Keswick Theatre Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass by phone 215-572-7650
10/17/13 Buffalo, NY Kleinhans Music Hall Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
10/18/13 Royal Oak, MI Royal Oak Music Theatre Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass link coming soon
10/19/13 Toronto, ON Queen Elizabeth Theatre Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass link coming soon
10/20/13 Ottawa, ON Algonquin Commons Theatre Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass link coming soon
10/22/13 Laval, QC Salle Andre' Matie Tickets
10/23/13 Sherbrooke, QC Theatre Granda Tickets
10/24/13 Saint Hyacinthe, QC Centre de Arts Juliette-Lassonde Tickets
10/25/13 Saint Jean sur Richelieu, QC Theatre des Deux Rives Tickets
10/26/13 L'Assomption, QC Theatre Hector Charland Tickets
10/27/13 Quebec City, QC Imperial Theatre Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
10/28/13 Rimouski, QC Salle Desjardins-Telus Tickets
10/31/13 New York, NY Beacon Theater Tickets
11/1/13 Portland, ME State Theater Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
11/2/13 Boston, MA House Of Blues Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
11/3/13 Ridgefield, CT Ridgefield Playhouse Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass

12/8/13 Los Angeles, CA The Roxy Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
12/9/13 Los Angeles, CA The Roxy Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
12/10/13 Los Angeles, CA The Roxy Tickets / Dweezilla Masterclass
Frank Zappa's Roxy & Elsewhere on Zappa Plays Zappa Tour

Penguin In Bondage
Pygmy Twylyte
Dummy Up
Village of the Sun
Echidna's Art (Of You)
Don't You Ever Was That Thing?
Cheepnis
Son of Orange County
More Trouble Every Day
Be-Bop Tango (of the Old Jazzmen's Church)

THE BAND:
Dweezil Zappa: Guitar
Scheila Gonzalez: Saxophone, Flute, Keyboards & Vocals
Ben Thomas: Vocals
Chris Norton: Keyboards
Kurt Morgan: Bass
Ryan Brown: Drums

© mmxiii zft. To unsubscribe from this mailing list, click here.

"Am I a fan, or a so-called fan?"

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:17 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I don't know where my next live Zappa music will be or when. Hmm, Eugene, OR. a lot sooner or LA later in Dec. or both? :(

I hear ya, at least you're close enough to make the trip to Chico, a bit too far for me (especially on a week night). Been a while since the last time I heard Zappa music played live and the frequent CA stops by ZPZ spoiled me, especially the Rio Theater shows 3 blocks from home. May see ya at the Roxy, that is tempting but I need to sell the idea to my lovely wife.

By the way, did anyone notice the no Joe Travers on drums in the current ZPZ lineup??? (Uh, I just read the rest of the thread and I answered my own question...)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:42 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I just got an Email from Zappa.com and Joe Travers has left DZpZ as of this tour. :cry: Bummer. This according to the official line up sheet and is replaced by Ryan Brown on drums.

Thanks for all you do and did Joe! I hope you'll keep on as Vaultmiester. :D

msvphoto wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I don't know where my next live Zappa music will be or when. Hmm, Eugene, OR. a lot sooner or LA later in Dec. or both? :(

I hear ya, at least you're close enough to make the trip to Chico, a bit too far for me (especially on a week night). Been a while since the last time I heard Zappa music played live and the frequent CA stops by ZPZ spoiled me, especially the Rio Theater shows 3 blocks from home. May see ya at the Roxy, that is tempting but I need to sell the idea to my lovely wife.

By the way, did anyone notice the no Joe Travers on drums in the current ZPZ lineup??? (Uh, I just read the rest of the thread and I answered my own question...)

Don't you hate that when that happens!?! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:56 am 

KUIII wrote:
That's awesome. It seems that more and more alums are out there playing the music all the time. This is a good trend.

We think alike on this one KU. Are you up to seeing PP with Glen and the boys and gal, if its on a weekend up around Eugene/Ashland this summer? It would be nice to get out of the heat with at least an over nighter in Ore., whenever and wherever they're playing. Maybe catch two shows, two nights in a row, like real Zappa groupies do!?! :twisted: :idea:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 pm 

Virginia! :cry:

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:11 pm 

Have seen every WNY show since the beginning, enjoyed them all. I think I'm officially done with ZPZ now. Buffalo show is at a fancy theater, $45-$55. Paid that much last year at Rochester's Eastman Theater for balcony, but it was a Jazzfest headline show, and those are all pricey. Still love the music of FZ as much as ever, just don't need to keep paying higher prices every year to see DZ and whoever's on board play the music. Don't see what the big deal is with playing Roxy, they've been playing most of it every night/tour since the start. I can't imagine how douche-chilling it will be seeing Ben try to improv stuff like Napoleon did on Dummy Up, and DZ on Be-Bop Tango. Best thing that can come out of this tour is if the Roxy sdtk and/or film is finally released.
If it was $30 and at Town Ballroom I'd absolutely be there. It's just not a fun time IMO seeing ZPZ in a fancy theater. Doesn't feel like a rock show, more like a museum atmosphere. DZ's trying to bring the music to the younger crowd, but this aint the way to do it. These theater shows will be mostly old-time FZ fans who stil want to shell out the bucks. Sucks that Joe's gone now too. I'm sure the new guy is great, but Joe will be missed.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:24 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Have seen every WNY show since the beginning, enjoyed them all. I think I'm officially done with ZPZ now. Buffalo show is at a fancy theater, $45-$55. Paid that much last year at Rochester's Eastman Theater for balcony, but it was a Jazzfest headline show, and those are all pricey. Still love the music of FZ as much as ever, just don't need to keep paying higher prices every year to see DZ and whoever's on board play the music. Don't see what the big deal is with playing Roxy, they've been playing most of it every night/tour since the start. I can't imagine how douche-chilling it will be seeing Ben try to improv stuff like Napoleon did on Dummy Up, and DZ on Be-Bop Tango. Best thing that can come out of this tour is if the Roxy sdtk and/or film is finally released.
If it was $30 and at Town Ballroom I'd absolutely be there. It's just not a fun time IMO seeing ZPZ in a fancy theater. Doesn't feel like a rock show, more like a museum atmosphere. DZ's trying to bring the music to the younger crowd, but this aint the way to do it. These theater shows will be mostly old-time FZ fans who stil want to shell out the bucks. Sucks that Joe's gone now too. I'm sure the new guy is great, but Joe will be missed.

Maybe you'll get lucky and he will play your trailer park next year for two bits.... :mrgreen: Zzziiinnnggg... :wink:

:smoke:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:40 pm 

Plook wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:

Maybe you'll get lucky and he will play your trailer park next year for two bits.... :mrgreen: Zzziiinnnggg... :wink:

:smoke:

Who the fuck are you, Trendmonger's brother? Asshat.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:29 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KUIII wrote:

We think alike on this one KU. Are you up to seeing PP with Glen and the boys and gal, if its on a weekend up around Eugene/Ashland this summer? It would be nice to get out of the heat with at least an over nighter in Ore., whenever and wherever they're playing. Maybe catch two shows, two nights in a row, like real Zappa groupies do!?! :twisted: :idea:

Can't do it. Got to work. No money. Etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:50 pm 

KUIII wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Can't do it. Got to work. No money. Etc.

Reminds me of school daze when I'd write Pops for some extra $$$'s.
Dearest Dad,
No mon,
No fun,
Your son.
To which he'd reply.
To bad,
So sad,
Your dad.
:lol:
How about Shasta, CA. perhaps? It's 3 hours from me, gotta be closer for you, I'd think. :?:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:56 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:

You think $45-$55 for a concert ticket is expensive? :shock:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:05 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

I've heard The Stones tix are around six hundred apiece for the nose bleed seats. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:19 pm 

I wasn't thinking of going to Lincoln to see them, but that theater looks really cool, and most any seat would be good.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:27 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I wasn't thinking of going to Lincoln to see them, but that theater looks really cool, and most any seat would be good.

That's the best way to see them cal. You should consider going if the cheap seats are as good as any. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:31 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

I've heard The Stones tix are around six hundred apiece for the nose bleed seats. :roll:

No, not for their nosebleeds...but for most of their floor & lower bowl seats. And the main reason why they're that expensive is because the Stones are only playing 18 shows in North America on this tour (at least thus far) in 15,000-20,000 seat arenas instead of 30,000-80,000 seat stadiums. And hence, we have to remember that supply and demand dictates prices, especially since the Stones are THE biggest concert draw in the world...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:57 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

No, not for their nosebleeds...but for most of their floor & lower bowl seats. And the main reason why they're that expensive is because the Stones are only playing 18 shows in North America on this tour (at least thus far) in 15,000-20,000 seat arenas instead of 30,000-80,000 seat stadiums. And hence, we have to remember that supply and demand dictates prices, especially since the Stones are THE biggest concert draw in the world...

The cheapest seats for the Oakland and San Jose shows were about $270.00. I'd love to see them but that's too rich for my blood.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:38 pm 

KUIII wrote:
The cheapest seats for the Oakland and San Jose shows were about $270.00. I'd love to see them but that's too rich for my blood.

That's about what I payed for 4 floor seats on the Steel Wheels tour,'89. Back when we all figured it would be their last tour. :roll: My surgeon, Dr. Sutherland and his wife were my guest's. He stayed straight as he was to operate at 6:00 the next AM on me. (better to keep an eye on too) I smoke the herb mon, not my Doc that night! They both enjoyed the spectacle of it all. Living Colour opened and was good I thought. Then The Stones took the stage and because of a back injury I couldn't stand very long. So I listened to The Stones and watched a sea of butts and asses shakin' and a groovin' to they're hits. I did see the blow-up Honky Tonk Women. :|

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:30 am 

for you west coasters complaning about no shows, RELAX, they're coming

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:22 am 

Disco Boy wrote:

For ZPZ now?, yes. Paid that much for the first tour, 3rd row at UB Center For The Arts. That was worth it with the alumni. I go to 30-40 different shows a year, average price is $15-$30. Have no interest in arena rock as many people here do, and I know that $50 is nothing compared to say what the Stones or Sabbath will charge this year. Only band I'd probably pay around $50 to see this year is Queens Of The Stone Age.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:46 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

For ZPZ now?, yes. Paid that much for the first tour, 3rd row at UB Center For The Arts. That was worth it with the alumni. I go to 30-40 different shows a year, average price is $15-$30. Have no interest in arena rock as many people here do, and I know that $50 is nothing compared to say what the Stones or Sabbath will charge this year. Only band I'd probably pay around $50 to see this year is Queens Of The Stone Age.

Agreed, except the Queens bit! Disco Boy lives in a RUSH Universe so ya must forgive him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next