Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:52 am 

Ben is playing Trambone as well as many other instruments... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:53 am 

Plook wrote:
Ben is playing Trambone as well as many other instruments...

...Like the triangle and cowbell along with his trambone. Sounds like it might hurt playin' his trambone onstage. Is it legal? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:54 am 

Plook wrote:
Ben is playing Trambone as well as many other instruments... :smoke:

A Chet Atkins tribute?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:18 pm 

I love Chet Atkins, he does a nice job with Earl Klugh, on an album released way back,.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:20 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I love Chet Atkins, he does a nice job with Earl Klugh, on an album released way back,.

Chet's got some good stuff out, that's one example. +1 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:15 pm 

This from the Dweez: http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/posts/ ... he-new-guy

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:52 pm 

Thanks for the link and heads up, IB! 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:14 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:

"knowledge of totality of the catalog" -- couldn't DZ just say "knowledge of the whole catalog" -- he's starting to write like Trendy. :P

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:00 pm 

I couldn't be more disappointed by the news that Joe is no longer with the band. I'm sorry to say this, but I've not been too impressed with some of the 'replacement' choices the last few years. Oh well. So it goes. Good luck Joe!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:02 pm 

Trennasol wrote:
I couldn't be more disappointed by the news that Joe is no longer with the band. I'm sorry to say this, but I've not been too impressed with some of the 'replacement' choices the last few years. Oh well. So it goes. Good luck Joe!

It started with me when Ben became the "lead singer". They didn't upgrade or maintain imo when aaron left either and obviously they haven't replaced Billy. Haven't seen the new bass player and probably won't unless they play in my backyard. I'm sure the new guys will be great players but the hay day of ZPZ has probably passed.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:00 am 

KUIII wrote:
Trennasol wrote:

It started with me when Ben became the "lead singer". They didn't upgrade or maintain imo when aaron left either and obviously they haven't replaced Billy. Haven't seen the new bass player and probably won't unless they play in my backyard. I'm sure the new guys will be great players but the hay day of ZPZ has probably passed.

What lead singer?......Ha! :wink: I still think DZ can pick 'em as they're all pro's with reps behind them. Not like when FZ had to audition who knows who with what. Both need musicians that can sight read musical notations. The rest is instinct.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:31 am 

Dweezil can't sight read. It must make it awful hard for Scheila to tell him what to do next.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:02 pm 

She has the gift... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:44 am 

Pope Jim wrote:
Dweezil can't sight read. It must make it awful hard for Scheila to tell him what to do next.

The fact that Dweezil hasn't learned to read music after doing this for 6 years is a little suspect to me.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:00 am 

tiboudre wrote:
Pope Jim wrote:

The fact that Dweezil hasn't learned to read music after doing this for 6 years is a little suspect to me.

It is sorta' weird that rededicating his life to his dads music didn't include learning to read his dads music, just playing it. He has said he took two years off just to learn FZ music before launching DZpZ. Why not be able to read FZ's other works and not just the rock stuff. Seems self defeating and then to teach classes without knowing how to read the music seems really bizarre. I'm not a musician though, so I could be way off. I do know my piano teacher could site read music though!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:53 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
tiboudre wrote:
Pope Jim wrote:

It is sorta' weird that rededicating his life to his dads music didn't include learning to read his dads music, just playing it. He has said he took two years off just to learn FZ music before launching DZpZ. Why not be able to read FZ's other works and not just the rock stuff. Seems self defeating and then to teach classes without knowing how to read the music seems really bizarre. I'm not a musician though, so I could be way off. I do know my piano teacher could site read music though!

And it was Keneally who showed him how to play the hard stuff basically. I either read that in a DZ or MK interview, I forget which. Too lazy to look it up.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:45 pm 

That is what you call and unfair and unjust conclusion... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:58 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
Pope Jim wrote:

Dweeze has been playing a lot longer than 6 years.

Frank was one of a kind , right ?
How many other musician player / composer / comedian / boss / father / husband and intellectual type of guys are / were in the business like Frank ?

Can't think of any and if Frank was gonna pass it along , don'tcha think each of his kids got at least some of his dna along the way ?

Dweeze does a great job paying tribute to his dad , but in this case , like father , like son , NOT. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:16 pm 

Live Ben is doing ok imo, even though he lacks charisma. The tech guy doing a Beefheart impersonation on Debra K. was way more intense when I saw ZPZ last year.

Never mind, then main problem I think is that when they are going to make these "let's play a whole album" things, then picking one like Roxy so filled with (if not DEFINED by) melodic percussion, it is a bit strange when not to have a percussionist in the band. Teh composers intent? Well finances, I know.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:02 pm 

HJ wrote:
Live Ben is doing ok imo, even though he lacks charisma.

I heard Ben had a groupie once and Dweezil got jealous, so he asked him to tone it down some. Before that incident Ben was all over the place, groovin' and a movin' with FZ's music. Really killed it ya know!?! Almost as good as NMB!
:mrgreen:

It's a joke..........I hope. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:27 pm 

HJ wrote:
Live Ben is doing ok imo, even though he lacks charisma. The tech guy doing a Beefheart impersonation on Debra K. was way more intense when I saw ZPZ last year.

Never mind, then main problem I think is that when they are going to make these "let's play a whole album" things, then picking one like Roxy so filled with (if not DEFINED by) melodic percussion, it is a bit strange when not to have a percussionist in the band. Teh composers intent? Well finances, I know.

My point exactly earlyier in this thread, how do you play this music with out percussions...and I saw Ben in December and he was actually laying, writhing, and crawling on the floor while singing, I don't think he has toned anything down... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:25 pm 

Plook wrote:
HJ wrote:

My point exactly earlyier in this thread, how do you play this music with out percussions...and I saw Ben in December and he was actually laying, writhing, and crawling on the floor while singing, I don't think he has toned anything down...

Ben's gotten better in small increments. He's come along ways since SJ Civic days. So yes, he's gotten better over time. The toned down thing is a joke and sez so, if you read the end of my post. I don't have the faintest idea if he's gotten some groupies either. You got to see him last, it's been sense The Crest show for me, but from what you say and some youtube stuff he looks a lot more comfortable with some of the songs. IMHO, he still doesn't "own" any songs like Bobby Martin and then Chris North do on Whippin' Post. But he's getting better at the entertainment part, that's fer sure! It's just my opinion and my opinion means nuts, I've been told! :smurf:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:41 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
trendmonger my ass. You fucks think you know music and are FZ aficianados....., eat me, that groupie /Zappa knowitall attidue is 180 out of what FZ was all about, as far as ZPZ goes, just a good cover band, good alternantive to new music in general, as for Ryan Brown, do some fucking homework, The man is a monster, check him out you zpz snobs.;

I assume you're talking to Pope Jim, since I didn't comment on talent one way or the other.
I just expected Trendy to continue to be the fastest on the draw to praise changes.

You are correct JPD

As for Zappa tribute bands, the best imho, pays tribute to Fz, with brilliant charts, not playing zappa charts note for note, and that would be Ed Palermo, with his big band, I gotta believe if Frank were alive he would love this band and the
work Ed puts into the charts.

One of Ed's musicians has his band called standard orbit quartet, Check out TED KOOSIAN. Now this stuff is good fun music !!

Here, Here! I heartily agree. Palermo truly is the best ZPZ tribute out there . I was thinking of the bands that try to recreate what has already been recorded by Frank. Palermo is his own man and musician.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:53 pm 

KUIII wrote:
[Here, Here! Palermo truly is the best ZPZ tribute out there . I was thinking of the bands that try to recreate what has already been recorded by Frank. Palermo is his own man and musician.

Don't you mean Palermo has the best Zappa (FZ) tribute out there? I agree on that one and thanks for turning me on to him too bro'!. 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:00 am 

tiboudre wrote:
Pope Jim wrote:

The only suspect is an individuals mind that does not comprehend the level of due diligence Dweezil Zappa puts into getting the music done up to the standards of the composer.

Dweezil has stated he would have liked to have learned to read music at an earlier age in life. While he may not be able to sight read blindly like a Kung Fu master that just makes learning the parts that much more time consuming. Pointedly, in the parts Dweezil has learned, he has done so with the proficiency of any musician that has ever played the guitar or performed Frank's music on any stage.

The perverted idea of pushing any performance achievements into the "suspect" category is preposterous. Dweezil Zappa is not the only musician that has reached the pinnacle of performance achievements by ear. Steve Howe (Yes, Asia, GTR , Tomorrow) performs by ear. It's a testament to achievement of what the well tuned ear can do. I find it fitting that Frank Zappa's interest in Steve Howe's performance on Tomorrow's Claramount Lake, early 1967. Dweezil Zappa and Steve Howe are prime examples of remarkable performance achievements in a wide variety of musical styling. They both perform in a wide variety of styles and put in lots of time and effort into doing what they do. From my point of view it's more about achievement than even considering the notion of anything being suspect about how it gets done.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.