Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEW ZPZ DATES
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:54 am 

Eh, fuck it, I'm so full of shit! Buffalo ticket ordered. $45 + $5. Kleinhan's is a pretty sweet venue with amazing sound, I'd just prefer a standing room only club. Picked an aisle seat around the center of the floor. Saw Bogus Pomp play there w/ Napoleon & BPO doing orchestral works back in 2000. Should be good hearing ZPZ do all of R&E. Echidna's/Wash has been played to death, but in context of the whole album, it'll be great. Haven't heard them do Cheepnis since the first tour. I just hope they don't try and recreate the exact dialog/pre-ambles of Frank & Brock/Simmons. They've "got to come up with some new shit". :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:20 am 

chumcloud wrote:
for you west coasters complaning about no shows, RELAX, they're coming

I hope so, even with the Alumni touring near here, I still will see DZpZ as many times as I can afford to.(2-3) I really want to hear DZ play the SG replica from Gibson. That's if he plays it at all. He already has an SG modified to get FZ's tone and textures, but with playing the R & E album you never know. I hope they play more than just R & E, like they did with Apostrophe ('). That's was only half of they're show. I wonder what the rest of the set list looks like.
Anyway, I hope your right! 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:28 am 

Dum question time, where is FZ's SG?

:smoke:

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:43 am 

Plook wrote:
Dum question time, where is FZ's SG?

Most likely the vault or in a very secure place. DZ said it's too precious to tour with as the value on it is in the 6 figures. He has an SG that looks just the same and he added some of the pick-ups and microphones like his dad had, but it's still not quite like the new Gibson FZ-SG that's a replica of what Frank played. I'm sorta' curious as to the differences in all three.

I'm listening to FZ play his SG right now on Inca Roads from OSFA, and with a wah-wah type peddle going on too! Frank sure knew what sounds he wanted and how to get them outta the guitar and equipment.
8) Love it man!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:56 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
chumcloud wrote:

I hope so, even with the Alumni touring near here, I still will see DZpZ as many times as I can afford to.(2-3) I really want to hear DZ play the SG replica from Gibson. That's if he plays it at all. He already has an SG modified to get FZ's tone and textures, but with playing the R & E album you never know. I hope they play more than just R & E, like they did with Apostrophe ('). That's was only half of they're show. I wonder what the rest of the set list looks like.

My #1 vote is for Packard Goose...then maybe Moggio.

Post subject: re: roxy
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:37 pm 

for true authenticity & respect to the original intent of the performer/composer, they need to play the roxy show rather than the album, using the real sg [not the sears sg], with at least one actual alumni, ideally ruth

Post subject: Re: re: roxy
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:56 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
for true authenticity & respect to the original intent of the performer/composer, they need to play the roxy show rather than the album, using the real sg [not the sears sg], with at least one actual alumni, ideally ruth

A most brilliant idea, that will never come to pass.....a lass' ass to gander at would be nice! Ruth, with a little practice still has the chops to play it all again. But would she? FZ's guitar should be there even if it's in a glass case. That would be cool, just to see the real beast that Frank played on those nights only 40 yrs. ago. :D 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:58 pm 

coevad wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
chumcloud wrote:

My #1 vote is for Packard Goose...then maybe Moggio.

ZPZ had Packard Goose in the stelist last show with Ray White and when I saw them in Madison, this is one of their best numbers and Scheila is excellent every time...and yes Ben did a great job, like I say he has grown into the front man role IMHO... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:42 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I've heard The Stones tix are around six hundred apiece for the nose bleed seats. :roll:

No, not for their nosebleeds...but for most of their floor & lower bowl seats. And the main reason why they're that expensive is because the Stones are only playing 18 shows in North America on this tour (at least thus far) in 15,000-20,000 seat arenas instead of 30,000-80,000 seat stadiums. And hence, we have to remember that supply and demand dictates prices, especially since the Stones are THE biggest concert draw in the world...

The cheapest seats for the Oakland and San Jose shows were about $270.00. I'd love to see them but that's too rich for my blood.

They've also been selling more than 1,000 $85 tix per show (about 7-10% of the house), but only through their website. And the interesting thing about them is that they're not just situated in the nosebleeds...but in several different sections, even in the lower bowl...

brainpang wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
You think $45-$55 for a concert ticket is expensive? :shock:

For ZPZ now?, yes. Paid that much for the first tour, 3rd row at UB Center For The Arts. That was worth it with the alumni. I go to 30-40 different shows a year, average price is $15-$30. Have no interest in arena rock as many people here do, and I know that $50 is nothing compared to say what the Stones or Sabbath will charge this year. Only band I'd probably pay around $50 to see this year is Queens Of The Stone Age.

Agreed, except the Queens bit! Disco Boy lives in a RUSH Universe so ya must forgive him.

Guys, the current average concert ticket price is nearly $70.

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Eh, fuck it, I'm so full of shit! Buffalo ticket ordered. $45 + $5. Kleinhan's is a pretty sweet venue with amazing sound, I'd just prefer a standing room only club. Picked an aisle seat around the center of the floor. Saw Bogus Pomp play there w/ Napoleon & BPO doing orchestral works back in 2000. Should be good hearing ZPZ do all of R&E. Echidna's/Wash has been played to death, but in context of the whole album, it'll be great. Haven't heard them do Cheepnis since the first tour. I just hope they don't try and recreate the exact dialog/pre-ambles of Frank & Brock/Simmons. They've "got to come up with some new shit". :smoke:

I'm glad you've changed your mind...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:17 am 

from command central:

FIRST TIME I'VE EVER HEARD SOMEONE COMPLAIN ABOUT ZPZ PLAYING A NICE SEATED VENUE AND WOULD RATHER SEE THEM IN A GA STANDING ROOM CLUB

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:56 pm 

chumcloud wrote:
from command central:

FIRST TIME I'VE EVER HEARD SOMEONE COMPLAIN ABOUT ZPZ PLAYING A NICE SEATED VENUE AND WOULD RATHER SEE THEM IN A GA STANDING ROOM CLUB

Well I'm 39, not 49 and I don't mind standing for 2+ hrs if the show is great. Best times at ZPZ shows were standing room IMO, two times in Buffalo @ Thursday In The Square '08/'09, & Town Ballroom '07.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:33 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
chumcloud wrote:
from command central:

Well I'm 39, not 49 and I don't mind standing for 2+ hrs if the show is great. Best times at ZPZ shows were standing room IMO, two times in Buffalo @ Thursday In The Square '08/'09, & Town Ballroom '07.

I like a little of both because of serious back issue's. One of the best shows imo, was in the Mt. Bleu Resort at Stateline, (S. Shore) Lake Tahoe, NV. There was enough room to dance then sit down and see over the heads of the people standing/dancing up front. That way I could take a seat anytime I wanted, then dance or watch up close to the songs I wanted to. That was pretty sweet for me! Places like The Knitting Factory in Reno where there are no seats in front, I try and get there early enough to ask the management or Glen Woods if I can sit somewhere near the sound board where I'm not gonna get bumped in the back alot. At all the venues where DZpZ has played they've always helped me out that way when asked a head of time.
If it was ever a choice between the two, I'd have to go with seating over standing. Fred_Zappelin sounds like the guy who always stands in front of me with a tall hat on too! I've lost a couple of inches in height since I was 29 and seem to notice this happening to me more often than usual. (I must have been given the pill that makes you small) :lol:

BTW: What's your capacity or title at the control center chumcloud? Your post seem very authoritative, so I figure there's no harm in asking is there? :?:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:03 pm 

I am ZPZ's booking agent since the beginning. I negotiate the terms, ticket prices, etc. I help decide what rooms, how often we play a city, how the show is advertised, etc. All the fun stuff.... Huge Zappa fan , too. I have been checking in to these parts for a long time, and occasionally cant help myself and feel the need to add my two cents. You guys are all here because you are all huge Zappa fans, so we all have that in common.

I prefer venues that have a GA standing floor with a seated perimeter or balcony. That's the perfect venue for everyone, I think.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:57 pm 

Allready have tickets for Providence. Make up show from February blizzard (legit) cancelation. Gold circle seats!

Last edited by NicHoLai on Mon May 13, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:02 pm 

chumcloud wrote:
I am ZPZ's booking agent since the beginning. I negotiate the terms, ticket prices, etc. I help decide what rooms, how often we play a city, how the show is advertised, etc. All the fun stuff.... Huge Zappa fan , too. I have been checking in to these parts for a long time, and occasionally cant help myself and feel the need to add my two cents. You guys are all here because you are all huge Zappa fans, so we all have that in common.

I prefer venues that have a GA standing floor with a seated perimeter or balcony. That's the perfect venue for everyone, I think.

Those are the best kinda of shows. Plenty of standing room for the youngsters and some good seats for the older folks. The only bummer is when they won't let you in the GA area when you have a seat. Some of us like to get close for a song or two and then return to a seat. That would be my only complaint and that doesn't bother me all that much. It's just a little bummer is all.

Sounds like a cool job for a ZappFreak, but a lot of work and headaches too. Lotta freaks and shit happens, as you must know. Got any fun, interesting or cool tales of whoopee or whoa from any of the DZpZ tours?
Did ya get any on you kinda stuff? :mrgreen:

So when you said there's gonna be some N. CA. dates, there's gonna be some N. Ca. dates. That's great! Are they in this calendar year too? That would be sweet indeed!

You can put your 2 cents in anytime chumcloud, their probably worth more than my 2 cents and are very much appreciated too. :wink: 8)

NicHoLai wrote:
Allready have tickets for Providence. Make up show from February blizzard (legit) cancelation. Gold circle sets!

You lucky bastard! Have a great time NicHoLai! (where's the jealous pumkin')

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:23 pm 

I have seats for ZPZ in 'Providence, im pretty sure if I wanted to go into GA the venue people won't give me shit'. But that varies from venue to venue. Worcester right near me has fucked up rules that Prov. dose not have.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:15 am 

No crazy stories, really. I'm a pretty mild mannered, boring guy. I just watched this Frank Zappa Day In The Life 1971 on youtube where this lady is smoking in little Dweezil's face and talking about pissing on Jeff Beck's chest. I can tell you I'm fairly certain that kind of stuff doesnt go on in ZPZ (at all).

Despite the fact that I work for him, I can tell you Dweezil is a total pro (as if you didnt know that already) but more, he's a really great guy who doesnt have it as easy as you all think. I see some of the comments here and sometimes I just shake my head about the assumptions.

In terms of NorCal, yes, but it wont be 2013. It'll be late Jan/early Feb.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:33 pm 

chumcloud wrote:
No crazy stories, really. I'm a pretty mild mannered, boring guy. I just watched this Frank Zappa Day In The Life 1971 on youtube where this lady is smoking in little Dweezil's face and talking about pissing on Jeff Beck's chest. I can tell you I'm fairly certain that kind of stuff doesnt go on in ZPZ (at all).

Despite the fact that I work for him, I can tell you Dweezil is a total pro (as if you didnt know that already) but more, he's a really great guy who doesnt have it as easy as you all think. I see some of the comments here and sometimes I just shake my head about the assumptions.

Excuse me Mr Cloud, I'm located on a little rocky outcrop just below Australia, what are the chances of a ZPZ NZ, or if not ZPZ OZ, I'm prepared to travel?

I'm sure most forumers mean no disrespect to the Dweez, it's all just good clean fun :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:04 pm 

The band has hit Australia quite frequently for an international band. I believe three times since 2006. Dweezil loves it there, but we need to build up consumer demand to make it financially feasible. My guess no earlier than late 2014 or early 2015

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:05 pm 

chumcloud wrote:

How about Virginia? Will that be the Jan/Feb?

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:08 pm 

end of Feb, likely Richmond

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:01 pm 

chumcloud wrote:

I'll get the welcome wagon ready for they're arrival! That seems so far away and of course I'll have to fly down to LA and see at least one of those Roxy shows. I went to the 35th anniversary show, so I figure I should attend the 40th, being a ZappaFreak and all ya know!?! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:34 pm 

chumcloud wrote:
The band has hit Australia quite frequently for an international band. I believe three times since 2006. Dweezil loves it there, but we need to build up consumer demand to make it financially feasible. My guess no earlier than late 2014 or early 2015

Cheers Chum, I caught the show in Sydney, featuring the little nipper, It was an absolute pleasure to hear the music performed live and alive...

I'll be waiting

Any news that won't breach a confidentiality agreement about the continuied meisterment by the Vaultmeister...I know we'er all worried, by we I mean me and, and, the, the voices. We love you Joe!......What too much?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:16 am 

Oh dear Chum, now with that revelation you're going to be flooded with requests! Thanks for getting the band to play Eindhoven back in 2009, that was really convenient!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:21 am 

I dont do Europe. That is someone else

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next