Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEW ZPZ DATES
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:16 am 

Atlantic Canada?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:28 am 

maybe someday.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:59 am 

chumcloud wrote:
I am ZPZ's booking agent since the beginning. I negotiate the terms, ticket prices, etc. I help decide what rooms, how often we play a city, how the show is advertised, etc. All the fun stuff.... Huge Zappa fan , too. I have been checking in to these parts for a long time, and occasionally cant help myself and feel the need to add my two cents. You guys are all here because you are all huge Zappa fans, so we all have that in common.

I prefer venues that have a GA standing floor with a seated perimeter or balcony. That's the perfect venue for everyone, I think.

Ever check out the Britt in southern Oregon? http://www.brittfest.org/performances maybe next year and I know he would be most welcome here. There is a radio station here in southern Oregon that has a show every Sunday nite and they always play my Zappa requests every week without fail..cool stuff and remember nothin else matters cause MUSIC IS DA BEST...FZ MUSIC THAT IS !

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:13 am 

Nice try Meglos. (from DZW)
Chumcloud ask Dweezil about this guy. Megan asked me for a picture of him last year in Chico, CA., she was very worried about him hurting Dweezil. I sent her a good one of him with Ike Willis. Dweezil & Megan thanked me for that too. What was that about anyway? Threats I would suppose....or all that download grief he brought to DZW and the things he's said about Dweezil and then to top it off, he pretended that his dying uncle's last words were, "Tell Dweezil to give me my download before I die" as he died with the tickets in his hand. :roll:

Remember that shit Sick Willie? (Little Sally is a misnomer) Why would DZ reward you for such despicable behavior? Your most likely the reason DZpZ hasn't played this way since. Not Pope Jim. You must have threatened them for them to be so mad and paranoid of you. Real nice guy aren't ya?

He's threatened to "kick my ass, ass, ass," at a DZpZ show more than once. If you see his picture you'd know why I'm not so worried about him. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:49 pm 

I really have no idea about any of that stuff. I tend to just click away at my computer here in NY

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:11 pm 

Notice if anyone involved with the FZ legacy would just talk to us how nice and helpful we all become, hell we're like some kidnap victim lock away, we would talk to the fucking janitor, anything is like sip of water on the beek... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:38 pm 

Plook wrote:
Notice if anyone involved with the FZ legacy would just talk to us how nice and helpful we all become, hell we're like some kidnap victim lock away, we would talk to the fucking janitor, anything is like sip of water on the beek... :smoke:

....and all the time we put in telling everyone we know that Zappa makes the best music...ever! It's nice to here from someone that's really on the inside and not a know it all like Titoney is. Being nice come's easy when it's about Frank, you know? It would be nice if some of the Other Mothers could or would post here once in awhile, throw us a biscuit, now and then, so to speak. Mark "Flo" Volman used to post here, so why'd he stop? I dunno, but it would be sweet if they had someone that could be helpful with some questions, beside's the Ask Gail thread. That would be cool. 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:32 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Nice try Meglos. (from DZW)
Chumcloud ask Dweezil about this guy. Megan asked me for a picture of him last year in Chico, CA., she was very worried about him hurting Dweezil. I sent her a good one of him with Ike Willis. Dweezil & Megan thanked me for that too. What was that about anyway? Threats I would suppose....or all that download grief he brought to DZW and the things he's said about Dweezil and then to top it off, he pretended that his dying uncle's last words were, "Tell Dweezil to give me my download before I die" as he died with the tickets in his hand. :roll:

Remember that shit Sick Willie? (Little Sally is a misnomer) Why would DZ reward you for such despicable behavior? Your most likely the reason DZpZ hasn't played this way since. Not Pope Jim. You must have threatened them for them to be so mad and paranoid of you. Real nice guy aren't ya?

He's threatened to "kick my ass, ass, ass," at a DZpZ show more than once. If you see his picture you'd know why I'm not so worried about him. :wink:

I don't believe there were any threats just upset about the downloads and now I don't care anymore about them and by da way...how do you know what DZ and I have said to each other in the recent past ? mmmmmm ? Maybe something about you man... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:36 pm 

Nice try, almost old school. Spread the paranoia first and in big letters too. Learn that at The Brown-shirt Pear Farm your runnin' bub? :roll:

EDIT: DZW is nice. But this is real. I kinda like that. You can see the ugly and not sugarcoat the world around you. Helps the balance so as you don't start thinkin' yourself above everyone and some time's it's good to bring you back up too. Basically everyone's good people anyway. You just have to be more patient with some. Others not at all.
Aw,shoot, I shoulda' used big letters so you really get it.

Now I'll get a PM again. :roll:

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Wed May 15, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:44 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Nice try, almost old school. Spread the paranoia first and in big letters too. Learn that at The Brown-shirt Pear Farm your runnin' bub? :roll:

no

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:20 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
Guys, the current average concert ticket price is nearly $70.

Yeah, but as a Zappa fan, why would I wanna see an average concert?

But seriously....Mike Watt charges 15 dollars, for fuck sake. Supply and demand. Fair enough. Still, the guy has produced new, original material consistently for 30 plus years. He's not average. The man blows away almost everyone charging seventy bucks. It's not a coincidence that the musicians charging 15 dollars bring more passion and musical freshness than most of the guys charging 70 or more. And they don't do it because they want to be spoiled rock stars. They do it because they love music.

The music racket is a big con.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:06 pm 

I dont know about "con". But, I will say ticket prices are not in line, nor will they ever ever be, with talent level. I mean, look at this for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLRD1R8GNgY
THIS BAND IS TERRIBLE!
Mike Watt is awesome, but he charges $15 because that is the math that works for his career and fan base. If he could charge $50, he likely would*

* I say likely because he does rank high among the punk rock credo set, so maybe not...

Post subject: re: new zpz dates
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:48 pm 

chumcloud wrote:
I am ZPZ's booking agent since the beginning. I negotiate the terms, ticket prices, etc...
ok, chum, can we negotiate the price of my ticket when zpz shows up here ¿ roll back a couple of tix for me 'n kiirk, we'll treat ya right when you get to town

Post subject: Re: re: new zpz dates
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:26 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
chumcloud wrote:
I am ZPZ's booking agent since the beginning. I negotiate the terms, ticket prices, etc...
ok, chum, can we negotiate the price of my ticket when zpz shows up here ¿ roll back a couple of tix for me 'n kiirk, we'll treat ya right when you get to town

Like you we're one of our own chumly, we'll show you the hip SF bay area, no problemo. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:16 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Learn that at The Brown-shirt Pear Farm your runnin' bub? :roll:

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahhahah I'm fucking crying here man! hahahahahahahahhahahhahahahhaa

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:05 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

But seriously....Mike Watt charges 15 dollars, for fuck sake. Supply and demand. Fair enough. Still, the guy has produced new, original material consistently for 30 plus years. He's not average. The man blows away almost everyone charging seventy bucks. It's not a coincidence that the musicians charging 15 dollars bring more passion and musical freshness than most of the guys charging 70 or more. And they don't do it because they want to be spoiled rock stars. They do it because they love music.

There you go again, mixing two different topics together - artistic integrity and supply & demand. One has very little or nothing to do with the other... :roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:48 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Exactly! Someone here gets it. Watt rules and jams econo! He doesn't even bring a merch man, sells you shirts/CDs from the stage himself. Also, Clutch & Melvins are two of the greatest rock bands who've been at it 20+ yrs. Average price is $20. I'll keep seeing them til they call it a career. Corporate arena rock fucking sucks. Besides QOTSA, the only other I'd pay big bucks to see now is Iggy & The Stooges.

Got my ZPZ Buffalo 10/17 ticket in the mail the other day. Pretty fancy looking with the "Roxy & Elsewhere 40th Anniversary Tour in big print :shock: .

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:28 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Exactly! Someone here gets it. Watt rules and jams econo! He doesn't even bring a merch man, sells you shirts/CDs from the stage himself. Also, Clutch & Melvins are two of the greatest rock bands who've been at it 20+ yrs. Average price is $20. I'll keep seeing them til they call it a career.

Nice to meet you.

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Corporate arena rock fucking sucks. Besides QOTSA, the only other I'd pay big bucks to see now is Iggy & The Stooges.

Iggy and The Stooges with Watt on bass. Which shows that Watt is not exactly opposed to getting paid a lot for playing music. :wink:

Post subject: re: i-t-bp marimba ¿
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:11 am 

ed organus maximus wrote:
...It will of course not sound the same if there is no marimba, but somehow I suspect ZPZ has been cutting back on percussion not because they're suddenly against the marimba...
is that a real marimba or is that a sears marimba ¿

mexican marimba ¿

in-the ballpark marimba ¿

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:58 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
artistic integrity and supply & demand. One has very little or nothing to do with the other..

As if it's not a choice to join forces with a corporate label, which will up your chances greatly (through massive promotion/exposure/payoffs) to achieve a higher demand for your product.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:15 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
artistic integrity and supply & demand. One has very little or nothing to do with the other...

As if it's not a choice to join forces with a corporate label, which will up your chances greatly (through massive promotion/exposure/payoffs) to achieve a higher demand for your product.

I didn't say that. But you seem to think that if something is produced to be commercial, that automatically means it's going to be successful once it's released for public consumption. But it doesn't necessarily mean that. Whereas, supply & demand is gauged on the popularity of a product, not the ingredients that comprise or produce that product...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:32 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
you seem to think that if something is produced to be commercial, that automatically means it's going to be successful once it's released for public consumption.

I've been around this racket my whole life. I know all too well that most suckers who make commercial music in an attempt for mainstream success end up failing.

Not me, of course.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:42 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
you seem to think that if something is produced to be commercial, that automatically means it's going to be successful once it's released for public consumption.

I've been around this racket my whole life. I know all too well that most suckers who make commercial music in an attempt for mainstream success end up failing.

Yet you continuously ramble on about the ones that do succeed and how that's wrong just because they're making music that happens to be commercial. And that's not necessarily true.

I got news for you: making money makes the world go 'round. And as far as I'm concerned, an artist's music should only be judged by the quality of the content, which of course is entirely subjective. And if that quality meets the listener's and/or artist's standards, even if the music happens to technically be commercial, it shouldn't really matter. I think there's plenty of good AND bad commercial music. So I don't look at it in black and white like you do. And while I also want the artists I follow to have the utmost artistic integrity, which is also entirely subjective, I would never knock them for wanting to make a living or making as much money as they possibly can, so as long as the quality of their music lives up to their and/or my own standards. Otherwise, I would probably agree with much of what you've said about this topic. But contrary to popular belief, commercial music can and has been produced with artistic integrity intact. There are plenty of examples.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Not me, of course.

Oh really? Care to explain...?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:04 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
Yet you continuously ramble on about the ones that do succeed

No. I ramble about the ones who allow the con artists to succeed. Big difference. I wouldn't care about that either but it spills over into the quality of my own life. Example: I am in a grocery store and I am forced to listen to the most vacuous, mind rotting shit I have ever heard. Another example: I mention that I like Zappa and someone asks me if I'm talking about Dweezil. Fuck no, of course I am not talking about Dweezil.

Quote:
Not me, of course.

Disco Boy wrote:
Oh really? Care to explain...?

Sure. I've never had to censor myself to please a record label.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:16 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I mention that I like Zappa and someone asks me if I'm talking about Dweezil. Fuck no, of course I am not talking about Dweezil.

At least they know what a Zappa is. Most of the time I get "who?" or "are they those new boots?" and my personal favorite, "is that like a Zippo lighter?". :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next