Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Tinseltown Rebellion
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:07 pm 

While, You Are What You Is is still my favourite '80s Zappa album, Tinsel Town Rebellion is near the top of that particular list. Favourite tracks include, Fine Girl, The Blue Light, Tinsel Town Rebellion (which is just as good as the alternate version, also played by the fall '80 band), Pick Me, I'm Clean (I almost dig the slower tempo arrangement by spring/summer '80 band more) and Brown Shoes Don't Make It, which is by FAR the best released version. I think the flow of the album is fine and doesn't distract from the enjoyment I have with it. Though, thinking about it now, Zappa should've probably made this a full length double album and included some of the tracks that wound up on Buffalo - it would've greatly benefited. And lastly, of the three albums released that year (or seven, depending on how you're counting), TTR outsold YAWYI but surprisingly didn't outsell the instrumental Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar albums. Consequently, FZ released the SUNPYG series to regular retail outlets about a year later...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:45 am 

feetlightup wrote:
I freakin' love The Blue Light. I don't think it's appeared on any other album. I just went to verify that on IINK and that site was all slow for some reason, but I think that's right. The meltdown section holds together so well, I don't know how much of that was actually planned beforehand and how much was improvised that one night.

edit - now I do remember hearing a show from '80-ish that had that song, and it was more or less the same, but memory is hazy here.

So far this album has the only official release of "The Blue Light." However, "Galoot Update" on Thing-Fish reuses the backing track of "The Blue Light" with new words over it.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:55 am 

I enjoy that version.