Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:51 am 

uuuuuh, I like the cover a'plenty.
it grabs yr attention
retro yet modern
no nauseating cleverness
perfect for the product within

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:07 am 

Buckalos wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I hope "We Don't Mess Around" gets the official treatment as well.

Gail, did you pick up on that?

and this... Frank Zappa (VIDEO) at The Capitol Theatre, Passaic 1978 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aoWjVnNqHs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:42 am 

A little late to the awareness party on this one but happily pre-ordered. :smoke:

P.s.// I quite like the cover.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:15 am 

I desperateley wanted to play this performances hi-fi since i know them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:19 pm 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
A little late to the awareness party on this one but happily pre-ordered. :smoke:

P.s.// I quite like the cover.

Where is a pre-order available at? I don't see it on the zappa site or amazon??

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:24 am 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:09 am 

Thanks!

Another question, I've never ordered off of amazon uk....any extra fees?

Scratch that, it's region 2 :(

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:49 pm 

You're kidding me. The arseholes are region coding it?? They didn't do that with The Torture Never Stops.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:19 am 

polydigm wrote:
You're kidding me. The arseholes are region coding it?? They didn't do that with The Torture Never Stops.

http://www.amazon.com/Token-His-Extreme ... is+extreme

This wasn't on the American amazon-DOT-COM until my most recent browsing, which was no earlier than last night. My guess is they were just late to put up the region 1 version, because I've seen the region 2 version on the English amazon for weeks. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:38 am 

Buckalos wrote:
polydigm wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Token-His-Extreme ... is+extreme

This wasn't on the American amazon-DOT-COM until my most recent browsing, which was no earlier than last night. My guess is they were just late to put up the region 1 version, because I've seen the region 2 version on the English amazon for weeks. :roll:

American! Now that's what I'm talking about. Ordered.

Pudding
Delicious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:32 am 

you can get a Region Free Toshiba Blu-Ray player for $120

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:33 am 

Track Listing:
1/2) The Dog Breath Variations/ Uncle Meat 3) Montana 4) Earl Of Duke (George Duke) 5) Florentine Pogen 6) Stink-Foot 7) Pygmy Twylyte 8 ) Room Service 9) Inca Roads 10/11) Oh No/ Son Of Orange County 12) More Trouble Every Day 13) A Token Of My Extreme

EAGLE ROCK ENTERTAINMENT and the Zappa Family Trust are pleased to announce the first official release of A TOKEN OF HIS EXTREME, an original program created by FRANK ZAPPA for TV.

Recorded on August 27, 1974 at KCET in Hollywood, A TOKEN OF HIS EXTREME features Frank Zappa with five incredibly talented band members for this extravaganza of live music.
The line-up exists of Frank Zappa guitar, percussion, vocals; George Duke keyboards, finger cymbals, tambourine, vocals; Napoleon Murphy Brock sax, vocals; Ruth Underwood percussion; Tom Fowler bass; Chester Thompson drums.

The Program, as edited and thoroughly tweezed & produced by FZ for Honker Home Video includes these delights: The Dog Breath Variations/ Uncle Meat, Montana, Earl Of Duke (George Duke), Florentine Pogen, Stink-Foot, Pygmy Twylyte, Room Service, Inca Roads, Oh No, Son Of Orange County, More Trouble Every Day, A Token Of My Extreme.

Stereo Mixes Produced by Frank Zappa with Kerry McNabb at Paramount Studios, 1974.
Mastered by Bob Ludwig, Gateway Mastering, 2009

FZ: This was put together with my own money and my own time and it's been offered to television networks and to syndication and it has been steadfastly rejected by the American television industry. It has been shown in primetime in France and Switzerland, with marvelous results. It's probably one of the finest pieces of video work that any human being has ever done. I did it myself. And the animation that you're gonna see in this was done by a guy named Bruce Bickford, and I hope he is watching the show, because it's probably the first time that a lot of people in America got a chance to see it.
- FZ appearing on the Mike Douglas Show, 1976

Because Token has never been commercially released until now, it is one of the most sought after Frank Zappa programs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:02 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
you can get a Region Free Toshiba Blu-Ray player for $120
Is that an offer? I'll send you a stamped and addressed post it pack.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:11 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:

:shock:
Does anyone know if this will only include his performance on the show? I would love to see the concurrent interview (providing there was one), or even the whole program.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:28 am 

This may have been mentioned elsewhere on the forum...

Frank Zappa - The Lost Broadcasts (DVD) http://www.gonzomultimedia.co.uk/produc ... casts.html

Quote:
The footage contained on this DVD is a real find for Frank Zappa fans being as it is an extended interview with Frank conducted in June 1970 The footage here is the original unedited footage and once again in keeping with the Lost Broadcasts series much of this interview is previously unseen...

...The interview here filmed in June 1970 covers many subjects such as the control that television had on the viewing public, Drugs, The media and the new Mothers of Invention line up which at the time included drummer Aynsley Dunbar and former Turtles vocalists Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan and interestingly the interview also touches on political subjects but we must bear in mind that this interview was conducted in those pre “Watergate” days when a “Rock Star” rarely talked about such subjects. Here as throughout the interview Frank Zappa gives relevant articulate and intelligent answers.
The length of the interview is interesting in itself considering in the modern era when artists rarely allow themselves to be interviewed at length about anything other than the current product, be it an album film or a book that they want to promote. Interestingly Frank talks about his thoughts on people’s perception of himself as an artist and as a composer. The interview as a whole is incredibly honest and again Frank Zappa is articulate and intelligent in his answers to the interviewer’s questions.
Edited portions of the interview were subsequently broadcast in August 1970 and again in December 1970 but the full length interview which runs to 86 minutes now makes its commercial debut on DVD and for Frank Zappa fans this interview will be of immense interest.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:13 pm 

Buckalos wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

:shock:
Does anyone know if this will only include his performance on the show? I would love to see the concurrent interview (providing there was one), or even the whole program.

The whole show was released on VHS in the late '90s. It was widely available at CD Universe, Amazon, etc. I forget what label, but it was legit, not a bootleg. Seems to have gone OOP. I had it, but then dubbed it and ebayed the original, thinking it would have been out on DVD by now. It's pretty good - Black Napkins w/ the house band, recollections of how the Mothers formed, plus the interactions of FZ, Jimmie Walker, and Kenny Rogers together on the same set are interesting. Frank was plugging the Token special, and they showed clips of it on there. I would guess the whole show's on the youtubes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:49 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
This may have been mentioned elsewhere on the forum...

Frank Zappa - The Lost Broadcasts (DVD) ...

Yes, at http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23445

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:43 am 

Mike Keneally: “Joe Travers showed me the master for the official release of [A Token Of His Extreme] and it looks and sounds amazing. Cool bonus stuff on the DVD also.”

What's supposed to be the bonus stuff?? :?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:40 pm 

Sterbus wrote:
What's supposed to be the bonus stuff?? :?

The main bonus item is the Mike Douglas appearance (17 minutes).

The front of the insert booklet would have made an infinitely better cover for the DVD--it's a real treat.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:56 am 

The clay animation is really outstanding, but I've always felt it interrupted the performances. FZ solo on "Inca Roads" features lots of sound effects and noises that come from the animated section. Furthermore, it prevents the viewer from seeing Frank in action while soloing. Are these pieces of animation going to be included on "A Token..." too, or were they only included later by FZ when he put together the "Dub Room Special"?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:10 am 

Rne wrote:
The clay animation is really outstanding, but I've always felt it interrupted the performances. FZ solo on "Inca Roads" features lots of sound effects and noises that come from the animated section. Furthermore, it prevents the viewer from seeing Frank in action while soloing. Are these pieces of animation going to be included on "A Token..." too, or were they only included later by FZ when he put together the "Dub Room Special"?

They were added for first broadcast of ATOHE and Dub Room.
This image see the bottom 4 track no animation so i don't know what too expect

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:41 pm 

Rne wrote:

The animation is still present, but the cartoon sound effects are not mixed in as they were on Dub Room.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:51 am 

Weird i just checked those last 4 songs

Stinkfoot starts with a clip used in solo though no Animation in Solo.
Inca roads Animation no Sound-effects.
Pygmy Twylyte looks better quality,as do the rest of the 4,i thought before on the main Movie i could here a little tinkering going on in the solo that seems too have gone :shock: :?
Room Services just looks better than on main movie,maybe newer around or better looked after who knows :|

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:42 am 

Dame i even confused myself there ain't sound effects on The Bootleg ATOHE.

Lets get it correct
Original ATOHE no Sound effect,got Animation and T,V Flashing that could make a Pig sick.

TDRS got Sound effects,got Animation,no T.V Flashing.

the Bonus tracks on the Bootleg got no Sound Effects,less Scene of Animation,no T.V flashing.

Back too the New D.V.D release is there T.V flashing from yotube clip i can't tell It has Animation no,Sound Effects,what about the worse thing Fucking Flashing T.V :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrmtAQvmfN8
Frank Zappa - Stink-Foot (A Token Of His Extreme)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:05 pm 

cleon wrote:
Back too the New D.V.D release is there T.V flashing from yotube clip i can't tell It has Animation no,Sound Effects,what about the worse thing Fucking Flashing T.V :D

You mean the extremely rapid cutting back and forth? Yes, that's still there, and it is very frustrating if you want to actually, you know, SEE what's going on. It happens mostly towards the beginning of the DVD--between the animation and the flickering cuts, "Uncle Meat" is pretty much obliterated visually. It mostly settles down after that but it does crop up again here and there, fortunately just for short bursts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next